MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tell me what this thing does pls...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Tell me what this thing does pls...
simulcast
http://www.vectorvga.com/index.htm

I saw this posted earlier, and I may be way off the mark here, but is this thing an xyz oscilloscope that you add your own screen to? Suitable for vector rescanning too?

Because if that's what it is - It's motherfucking bacon yo

Thanks
smrl
Yes, it could be used this way. Nice that it supports RGB! The 'pro' version would be much easier to interface with, supports HD resolutions, and has video outputs already. The "Tempest" version has fairly high input voltage requirements and would necessitate a vga->video convertor or capture device if you wanted to do more than just view it. They also mention that they could include TTL Genlock - which would synchronize it with a video synth...

It's $2200 though. And I think some device might come up before too long that will be a better fit smile
lizlarsen
All of the above is true, but after extensive communication with them via myself and Johnny, it was concluded that the device just wouldn't be fast enough to do proper vector rescanning of SD video, even the PRO model. You could definitely use it to do some lissajous patterns and oscillator art I bet, though.
johnnywoods
I talked directly to their engineer about this device. Neither version will be able to process fast enough to create full screen video.

He then suggested that I try recreating the effect with a computer. d'oh!
simulcast
Doh... $2.2k is pretty steep too. I guess it's back to 'scope hunting. I don't suppose there is a 'scope with xyz that also has a video out?
lizlarsen
Not an analog scope (which is what you want for this stuff). Anything like that was a custom installation of a vector monitor and rescanning camera in the same enclosure -- AFAIK.
Veqtor
Would it be possible in theory to create such a digital module with currently available processors?
lizlarsen
Yes, we can implement it as a program on our upcoming Reprogrammable Frame Buffer Module, which is based on an FPGA and multiple video-rate I/Os. Basically a vector-to-raster converter.
nickciontea
creatorlars wrote:
Yes, we can implement it as a program on our upcoming Reprogrammable Frame Buffer Module, which is based on an FPGA and multiple video-rate I/Os. Basically a vector-to-raster converter.

I'm sure this will be quite desirable
wcfields
nickciontea wrote:
creatorlars wrote:

I'm sure this will be quite desirable

Can you give us an idea of how the frame buffer will be controlled control? Much like the CVI Fairlight sliders, I'd like MIDI control over parameters so I could use inexpensive controllers.

lizlarsen
It's currently undecided, so we're definitely open to all sorts of feedback/feature requests. They'll go in our development notes. MIDI is a possibility. Of course, our main focus will be the flexibility of CV control. We may have sliders or knobs built into the module, or a controller breakout.

The closest thing to compare what it will look like to right now is something like the TipTop Z-DSP... you have sets of inputs and outputs. Inputs will probably have corresponding amount/bias knobs. And the functions of the inputs and outputs will be related to the currently loaded program (and there will be some kind of LCD display to change/load programs, display parameters and so on.)

The idea so far is that there will be 6 video-rate (13.5MHz) sampled inputs and 3 video-rate outputs. And then probably some Line-rate (CV/audio range) sampled inputs as well. A classic use-case here would be two separate RGB inputs, and one set of RGB outputs, for a color video mixer with programs for CV-controlled digital chroma and lumakeying, etc.

In a full color vector-to-raster case, the 6 video-rate inputs could be mapped to XYRGB with one left over for say, control over simulated focus/blur.

It's going to be hard to avoid feature-creep here, obviously! Since we're creating a module for a modular system, the priorities will be making the functions accessible rather than trying to create a standalone processor. Although we've talked about a fully standalone version later down the road.

I really like the CVI's ability to have certain sliders controlling the "slew" speed of response over the other sliders. You could patch this up by using a CV joystick and running it thru a slew/glide circuit.
lizlarsen
In addition to the arbitrarily assignable/program-based parameters, there may also be globally/always accessible parameters related to things like position and size, etc (similar to the CVD&FS parameters.) It all kind of waits to be seen. It's important for us that we really hammer down the role/intent behind each module's design, to minimize functional overlap or inconsistency with other parts of the system. In this case, this module will be focused on being a voltage controlled digital video computer, that exists as a module, specifically for powerful arbitrary uses and effects. This contrasts to CVD&FS which is the "utility" frame buffer focused on TBC/system input/proc amp style adjustments.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1