MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My name is _______, and i use my Tyme Sefari as a _______
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author My name is _______, and i use my Tyme Sefari as a _______
soundsubs
i just got my tyme sefari/asot last week. im liking it!

i was under the (incorrect, or at least inacurate) assumption that this was basically a delay. now that i play with it a little bit, im finding that its not a very good delay at all. but it IS a pretty cool lofi sampler. maybe im using it wrong.

so how do you use your tyme sefari? sampler? delay? other?
incekt
i use it in recording for glitching drum and synth tracks... and live i use it to glitch my vocals along with DB glitch...
adam s
I use it to loop live instruments to make drones, and to glitch out vocals in noise music. I use a theremin module to scrub though a captured word or phrase.

I also put the loop points together to use it as a filthy noise source SlayerBadger!
Kent
1) Annoy my spouse

2) CV Recorder & Bender

3) Beat mangler

4) Funkay Noize Source

5) Searching all the other TS threads here and trying out those ideas f u
Robba
-Push three notes on a cheap casio record it and mangle it.

-Insert radio and FSU
sandyb
i tend to use mine as a source of lo-fi background noises in tracks. often mixed low in a feedback loop with my modular output mixer.
felix
I use it as a delay pretty frequently, but I typically modulate the sampling rate very slightly so as to create less of a noticeable delay effect.

I also frequently use it as an aliasing/artifact generator. I set the loop points to something short (since I'll be using a slower sampling rate) and then try different SOT switch settings until I find a timbre that I like. You can get some very interesting sounds that way which *sound* like they would be easily obtained with some noise, FM, and HP filtering, but they have a very special characteristic. Almost like robotic insects.

Something I frequently overlook is triggering/clocking the Play input. A lot of great results can be had from this and I seem to always end up having Play engaged constantly.

If you have a Zorlon Canon, hooking the 4 Gate outputs into the 4 Gate inputs on the TS can lead to some really interesting chaos.
Johnisfaster
heyyyyyyyyyyyyy everyone, I've had my eye on the tyme sefari/SOT for a while now. most likely those will be my next purchase whenever I get the dough for them. but in the meantime I haven't been able to find very many demo's of them in action. I'd love it if you guys could start a series of quick and dirty demo's, as at this point I really only know what it sounds like in theory.

pretty please?
felix
I'll see what I can cook up before the weekend.
Johnisfaster
felix wrote:
I'll see what I can cook up before the weekend.

that'd be awesome. I know it can make some wicked noise, and I'm cool with noise and all but I'd be very interested to hear some of it's more musical uses. like how well does it work out when used as a wavetable vco?

also, I haven't found a solid answer on this on reading about it, can you trigger play start or does playback just continuously loop like a vco would?
felix
Johnisfaster wrote:
also, I haven't found a solid answer on this on reading about it, can you trigger play start or does playback just continuously loop like a vco would?

You can definitely use a gate to control when it's playing back ("Play" gate input). It will play as long as the gate signal is high, or if the Play switch is flipped up.

Playback always starts at the Loop Start location (even if Loop is off), and of course the Loop Start location is CV'able. The end of playback is either the Loop End marker, if Loop is on, or the end of memory. Loop has a gate input as well, so you can dynamically enable the loop too, which is great fun.

The speed of playback, as well as the max recording time is controlled by the Sampling rate control.
Robba
Johnisfaster wrote:
heyyyyyyyyyyyyy everyone, I've had my eye on the tyme sefari/SOT for a while now. most likely those will be my next purchase whenever I get the dough for them. but in the meantime I haven't been able to find very many demo's of them in action. I'd love it if you guys could start a series of quick and dirty demo's, as at this point I really only know what it sounds like in theory.

pretty please?

I have posted some clips in the ultra small patches thread. Not really a demo though.

some TS clips
Kent
Muff Wiggler and the Intarwebs are littered with Tyme Sefari demos.

LoopCycle's is my fave:

And my page of demos which isn't too shabby, if I do say so myself. I particularly like the guitar one toward the end of page 1.

"Another Tyme Sefari Demo" Thread by me; Kent
deastman
As I described in another thread, I like to trigger it with an A-155 sequencer and use it as a beat slicer.
Kakihara
Hi, my name is g. and I'm using my TS as:

1) Glitch noise source
2) Vocal "processor"
3) Noise looper... if we can use that term
4) Jägermeister substitute

Guinness ftw!
tonnu
just got my sefari, but so far i have not been able to 'get' the module.

first things first, how do you use it as a vanilla delay???

i can't seem to get a classic delay sound .. at the very least i have the following questions:

1) how to control the 'delay time' as per conventional delay? say i want a faster or slower delay time .. how do i set that? (i see only feedback)

2) why does my delay sound REALLY lofi ... i understand that it is a lofi delay, but mine sounds like its been bit crunched heavily ...

3) what is the 'dir' switch?

i think these would be the first two things that i'd really want help so that i can begin exploring it .. thanks!
Roycie Roller
tonnu wrote:
just got my sefari, but so far i have not been able to 'get' the module.

first things first, how do you use it as a vanilla delay???

i can't seem to get a classic delay sound .. at the very least i have the following questions:

1) how to control the 'delay time' as per conventional delay? say i want a faster or slower delay time .. how do i set that? (i see only feedback)

Set the feedback switch to + & the feedback knob to approximately 1 o'clock. Run your signal into the Input jack. No other connections for now, but you can build up CV signals later to modify the sound.
Run the signal out of the Output jack. Have all switches up, and Loop Start knob hard left & Loop End knob hard right. Bring the Loop Start & Loop End knobs closer to speed up the delay time.

tonnu wrote:
2) why does my delay sound REALLY lofi ... i understand that it is a lofi delay, but mine sounds like its been bit crunched heavily ...

Yes it does sound very lo-fi. The best fidelity is achieved at highest frequency & with certain control voltages at the Sampling Frequency CV Input (try mid-high pitched sine waves, for example)

tonnu wrote:
3) what is the 'dir' switch?

i think these would be the first two things that i'd really want help so that i can begin exploring it .. thanks!

'dir' is the switch for Direction of the loop. Switch Up is forward, switch Down is reverse.

I've had mine almost 1 year & am still learning it's secrets
tragedybysyntax
So... still trying to figure out how to use this thing as a delay confused
tonnu
thanks a lot roycie. that has helped me a bit in my quest to grapple with the tyme sefari.

i think the main issues unsolved for me are:

1) recording loops ... why do i have to have 'play' on to record loops? for example, if i want to record without overdub, i should be able to flick 'record' on without the 'play' on, and then play that loop later

2) feedback .. what's the difference between -ve and +ve feedback .. what do they do?

3) delay trails .. i get really glitchy delay trails when it comes to the loop end points .. is there a way to get a smoother delay? but i guess not, lol

thx smile
governor blacksnake
Delay settings:

Sampling rate at maximum, loop start at minimum. play, record, and loop switches ON, feedback at about 9-10 o'clock, mix at 12 noon. Set the loop end to get your desired delay length. Adjust sampling rate to shift pitch of recorded audio and to increase the overall delay time.

Sorry that the manual never got done, I'm about to have another family member take care of the unfinished print projects around here. I am also working on producing some detailed audio and video demonstrations for the modules. Will have some free time now that Hertz Donut is very close to completion.
tragedybysyntax
Scott, thanks so much bud! I'll get to rip it up as soon as I get off work and test it out. Every other function of this beast I have down to a science now except for the delay, lol. Peace! smile
amnesia
Hi

My name is Earl

I use the Tyme Safari to help me with the issues of Karma :-)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1