MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do I need a TBC?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Do I need a TBC?
HowFeathersServeBirds
I'm having problems with either my Korg Kaoss Pad Entrancer (KPE), circuit bent TI-99A, or both. When I have the TI-99A (composite out) running through the KPE, it has no effect at all. I do get video though. Its like the KPE isn't even their. I'm using the composite out on the KPE as well, I just realized I haven't tried the S-Video out on the korg yet. would that make a difference though? I will check that out next to be sure.
I have run other video through the KPE (DVD player and an Edirol P-1) and the effects work as expected. My mixer is a Numark AVM01 and my projector is a Hitachi CP-RX60.

Do I need a Time Base Corrector? If so, can anyone recommend one?
lizlarsen
It sounds like the signal out of your circuit bent device is not within standard signal levels, for some reason or another. A time base corrector may or may not correct the issue, it depends on how the circuit bent unit is degrading the signal. Even TBCs will be expecting a fairly normal signal.

One option is to send the circuit bent device to a TV, and then rescan the TV with a camera, and then send that to a KPE. Not ideal.

Others may have some other ideas.
johnnywoods
I had this same problem with my KPE and some funky circuit bent video devices. In my case, running the device through my V4 first solved the problem.
Do you have anything you have successfully plugged the circuit bent device into? My VCR has a TBC built in. If you have something like that lying around, you can try it out.
bitSmasher
Yep, I can vouch that my KPE doesn't process video when it's not happy with the incoming signal. In my case, it's primarily the "Wait for VBlank" thingo that gives me issues, which is a shame as I love using it.
A cheapo magicbow scan converter fixes things up for me.

I've also had the KPE not output on the alternate to its input, in my case a composite in won't show up on S-Vid out. Didn't get to the bottom of that hmmm..... But I'm sure it wasn't happy with the quality of signal, again, as I run some fairly cheap and questionable gear.
HowFeathersServeBirds
johnnywoods wrote:
I had this same problem with my KPE and some funky circuit bent video devices. In my case, running the device through my V4 first solved the problem.
Do you have anything you have successfully plugged the circuit bent device into? My VCR has a TBC built in. If you have something like that lying around, you can try it out.

Yep, I have run it (Circuit Bent TI-99) through DVD players, TVs, Projectors, and two different video mixers (a V4 and a AVM01) and the signal always comes through just fine. Even when going into the KPE the signal comes out just fine, but none of the effects settings have any...effect.

However, I don't recall ever going into my mixer first then into the KPE. I'll try that next and see how I get on. Thanks for the suggestions and help from everyone.
revmutt
I would try it into a mixer. I find that stuff that may be giving a wonkey signal may become more stabilized through a mixer since even if it is without a TBC it will have some sort of stabilizer circuit. I am basing this on my experience which is primarily with the Panasonic range.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1