MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Silent Way/Reason Rack Extensions?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Silent Way/Reason Rack Extensions?
440hz
A rack extension in Reason to control modular systems is a dream for me
screaming goo yo
Hedefar
440hz wrote:
A rack extension in Reason to control modular systems is a dream for me
screaming goo yo


Good to hear!

Could you go and drop off a comment at the thread I made at the Propellerhead forum? Rockin' Banana!

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?p=1307679&posted=1# post1307679
440hz
Hedefar wrote:
440hz wrote:
A rack extension in Reason to control modular systems is a dream for me
screaming goo yo


Good to hear!

Could you go and drop off a comment at the thread I made at the Propellerhead forum? Rockin' Banana!

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?p=1307679&posted=1# post1307679


Done...

By the way, it seems that it is possible to directly plug CV from Reason in the hardware interface of Reason and it seems to generate CV in your sound interface (it it is capable of, of course...)....
Hedefar
440hz wrote:


Done...

By the way, it seems that it is possible to directly plug CV from Reason in the hardware interface of Reason and it seems to generate CV in your sound interface (it it is capable of, of course...)....


Yes, I actually had a breakthrough the other day. If you and "os" didn't see this already, you might want to check out this explanation by Peff:
http://www.peff.com/journal/2009/06/12/reason-cvgate-to-analog-synths/

I'm using my MOTU 828 mk3 and using Thor to send notes and gate signal to the MOTU outputs which I then plug into my modular. It is very easy to set up except that I really miss the "Calibrate V/oct" button in the Voice Controller. I'm able to get close, but it won't be as precise tuning as when using Silent Way. But it's pretty cool already without any additional software!

I also tried out the "Pulsar Dual LFO" rack extension that they were giving away a few months back, and hooked its audio output up to the output of the MOTU, and it worked right away as CV and was very entertaining! smile

I'm still hoping for a Silent Way RE, but even if it doesn't come, I'm really happy with the possibilities already there for free grin
os
Yes, this sort of thing is why I don't consider it urgent to create an RE. You can mostly do this stuff just with basic Reason.

In case it's not clear, the above applies to the ES-3 as well, so you don't need a MOTU to do it.

My biggest motivation for now for an RE would be to support the ES-4, ES-5 and ESX-4CV - as I've just done for Max/MSP.
Hedefar
os wrote:

My biggest motivation for now for an RE would be to support the ES-4, ES-5 and ESX-4CV - as I've just done for Max/MSP.


Maybe an VCO calibration function could be part of that?
I am going nuts, having to manually calibrate my oscillators.
Edit: Not because I'm lazy but because it's really difficult to get the intervals to sit right. At least with my setup it is.

If not a full Silent Way suite, just a simple VCO tuner RE would be very helpful.
440hz
Hedefar wrote:

I am going nuts, having to manually calibrate my oscillators.


How do you that? With attenuators?
Hedefar
440hz wrote:
Hedefar wrote:

I am going nuts, having to manually calibrate my oscillators.


How do you that? With attenuators?


No, I try my best in the modulation matrix of Thor with two Voice key --> audio out as Peff showed in his article, plus one voice key 2 --> audio out, for a bit more precision. When changing those, the pitch changes as well as the distance between the notes, so I'm looking for the right balance.

Yesterday, I got it to almost stick to the tuning across a few octaves with my uLFO acting as VCO. The future looked bright! This is fun!
But today, I can't seem to even get one octave right hmmm.....

I have no attenuators to try with (I'm just getting started on modulars), but there are plans on the DIY table for the future. Do you have any experiences in this direction?
440hz
Hedefar wrote:


I have no attenuators to try with (I'm just getting started on modulars), but there are plans on the DIY table for the future. Do you have any experiences in this direction?


I just tried today (successfully) to output gates into my René sequencer... Now, external pitch, not yet tried... Seems tricky... If too complicat"ed I will continue to use Silent Way... I persist also to think that a little extension just to do that would be perfect.... very frustrating
Hedefar
I just want to pop in and say that Peff himself, who did the blog posts about using Reason for sending CV's, left this comment in my thread at the Propellerhead forum:

I'll add my support for this. I'm already controlling analog gear with with tricky Thor math, but every synth is different and behaves differently each session. A calibration tool like silent way would be great.

I saw a tweet that looks a bit like this prayer is already being answered so maybe I needn't push anymore wink

http://t.co/2RVM43cAJT screaming goo yo
eXode
os wrote:
Yes, this sort of thing is why I don't consider it urgent to create an RE. You can mostly do this stuff just with basic Reason.

In case it's not clear, the above applies to the ES-3 as well, so you don't need a MOTU to do it.

My biggest motivation for now for an RE would be to support the ES-4, ES-5 and ESX-4CV - as I've just done for Max/MSP.


I'd like to add that your biggest motivation should also be something that outputs reliable note/pitch CV. The Thor solution is friggin horrible to work with when it comes to tuning the oscillators. I've had to re-tune/calibrate my Thor setup pretty much every time I use it. So if you can fix that as well, that would be wonderful.

I don't know if it's possible but a thought would be to add some sort of audio inputs to a RE device that can analyze incoming audio (could be via an AUDIO track in Reason, thus circumventing the sand-boxing?) and that way create some sort of calibration routine?

Some of my cents anyway. smile
eXode
os wrote:
Yes, this sort of thing is why I don't consider it urgent to create an RE. You can mostly do this stuff just with basic Reason.

In case it's not clear, the above applies to the ES-3 as well, so you don't need a MOTU to do it.

My biggest motivation for now for an RE would be to support the ES-4, ES-5 and ESX-4CV - as I've just done for Max/MSP.


I posted my findings on the ES-3 and Reason here earlier:

Expert Sleepers ES-3 + Reason = True
os
You guys don't follow me on Twitter, I take it.

http://twitter.com/expertsleepers/status/337964133158891520/photo/1
eXode
os wrote:
You guys don't follow me on Twitter, I take it.

http://twitter.com/expertsleepers/status/337964133158891520/photo/1


Yes, I knew about that already. Was just responding in terms of what might be a motivation. smile

Check my latest tweet! razz

https://twitter.com/exodesound
os
Hedefar
Looking good! screaming goo yo
hpsounds
Nice work OS ! thumbs up

Hédi K.
Entrainer
Sad that Chuck E. Jesus (OP) isn't here to see it realized :(

But that looks promising. OS, which Silent Way features are you
implementing? Just the Voice Controller/Trigger or are you also doing
the LFO/Step LFO (my most 2 used)?

What about CV Ins thru your AD?
tg135
And with that video post, you just sold another es3. Os thank you for making that RE.
eXode
Thanks for sharing os! I'm really glad that you decided to do this.
eXode
I was thinking about CLOCK functions, but then I realized that you could just use i.e. a Matrix Sequencer and use the regular GATE or TRIG outputs.
Boddhisattva007
That video made my day. It's peanut butter jelly time!
os
Quote:
OS, which Silent Way features are you implementing?

Just the Voice Controller for now. There are other ways of doing a lot of the other Silent Way plug-ins in Reason.

I'll probably add ES-4/ES-5/ESX-4CV encoders at some point, like the Max externals I did recently.
os
If anyone wants to beta test, send me your propellerhead forum username.
eXode
I would have loved to test it for you but I sadly don't have the required hardware atm. Which brings me to another question. Do you have any ES-3 in the pipeline to be shipped to Escape From Noise (Sweden)?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group