MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Combining Blacet and Paia VCOs in one system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Combining Blacet and Paia VCOs in one system
Jimmyschaus
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there has combined the Paia 2700 series double VCO with the Blacet VCO in one system. My Blacet VCO sounds great and tracks 1 v/octave accurately. My Paia VCO doesn't sound so hot and I am having trouble calibrating it. I plan on sending it in to have it checked and calibrated by them. I do love the economy of two oscillators in one 3U space and of course the cheap price. I figured one expensive, killer sounding Blacet VCO and the double Paia, slightly inferior in sound quality but cheap and economical space-wise, would be a great combination. Just wondering if there are any issues in combining them..tracking difficulties, etc. To the best of my knowledge it just matters that each module tracks 1 v/octave accurately, so that when all three are being tracked at the same time they still stay in tune. Am I wrong about this? Do they somehow interfere with each other in a way that two Blacet VCOs wouldn't, or the two VCOs in the Paia unit wouldn't?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Jimmyschaus
Bleh whoops I mean 9700 not 2700
fracmonkey
You might be better off using the Paia as a dual LFO....

I have not heard much positive stuff about the Paia tracking but I've never actually had one in my hands.
werock
I wouldn't have thought you would have one VCO affecting the other. You're more likely to get a situation where the Blacet tracks accurately over more octaves than the Paia, e.g. The Blacet might track over 6 octaves, the Paia only 4. But this is conjecture.

Good idea to get the 9700 properly calibrated by Paia, at least then it should be as good as it can be.

Can't remember who it is, but someone here raves about the Paia VCOs hihi
nikmis
I don't hate my paia 9700 vcos, at least. I tuned them by ear, and they get about 4 octaves no problem. thats good enough for me but I don't have any blacet vcos
lombrose
I do have a 9700s and I think it has a very poor tracking, in fact, playing it together with my digital synth I noticed that it tracks only one octave accurately. seriously, i just don't get it
SilentWay solved my problem. applause
vmgas
i am the one who raves bout the paia. i use 3 different vcos in my main system. a paia, a blacet, and a diy vco i got from flux. i always find the need to chime in on these paia threads. i love my paia vco, it's got a unique sound and you get an a/r in there for kicks. it's a workhorse even if its not the prettiest boy on the block.
Jimmyschaus
Thanks for your replies everyone. I didn't think anyone had replied because I was never alerted of a reply, which I thought I had set on my preferences thing or whatnot. I appreciate it. I think I'm going to wait until I get the VCO back from PAiA working at its highest potential before I make any decisions. Though, in and of itself, that is a decision.

[bcalbum]1911774931[/bcalbum]
[bcalbum]2334170562[/bcalbum]
vmgas
oh hi jimmy. i played with those russian cards last night
cashhshhs
Jimmyschaus
oh hi! fancy seeing you here. i thought "this person has good taste" based on the avatar. i remember your enthusiasm for paia when we were in baltimore. i'm glad you have put the cards to good use. i hope to see you sometime soon! i am probably moving to chicago in june. i don't know if you go there more often than florida. take care in the meantime.
nikmis
lombrose wrote:
I do have a 9700s and I think it has a very poor tracking, in fact, playing it together with my digital synth I noticed that it tracks only one octave accurately. seriously, i just don't get it
SilentWay solved my problem. applause

did you calibrate it to 1 volt per octave?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1