MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

stg wavefolder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author stg wavefolder
richard
I just got one of these and its a bit of a charmer, with filter-like qualities and VCA as well as flexible waveshaping. Very smooth, intruiging sound it makes, almost formant-like in places. It made me wonder what lineage these things have... not just the STG but wave folders in general. It seems buchlary more than moogy to me, but I'll admit don't know much about wave folders, where the idea came from or how people use them

and wave folders, wave shapers, wave animators, wave multipliers - the same things, or not?

R

edit: i realise belatedly that I should probably have posted this in the general modular forum
parasitk
Definitely more in line with the Buchla/Serge school of synthesis - I love how you can coax FM meets filter timbres out of this particular folder!

The STG Folder is
STG Soundlabs site wrote:
licensed from Juergen Haible, and adapted by Yves Usson and Detachment 3 Engineering.

http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/WAVEFOLDER/index.html

It's based on Juergen Haible's wavefolder B: http://www.jhaible.de/jh_wavefolder.html

Some more on the Serge shapers/multipliers: http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_audiomod.html

CGS Wave Multiplier: http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs29_wave_multiplier.html
nanners
suboptimal
I'm really looking forward to adding this module to my rig soon. STG is a poet of modular awesomeness.
dkcg
Try sticking the wavefolder between an oscillator and the FM input of another oscillator (I use the M15 or zeroscillator) and slowly twist the knobs. It adds some great texture to FM patches.
Add an envelops to the amount and you get a beautiful thing.
wetterberg
OR:

Oscillator output->waveshaper->fm input of said oscillator wink

Adds some neat feedback wobble.
richard
brilliant replies guys! using the wavefolder on FM sources is a very interesting thing and a new one to me, especially using it on the self FMing of a VCO. It encouraged me to made me try similar methods with the the AS RS120 comb filter andf A-189-1 bit crusher and they also give very interesting results - the A-137, again, didn't really do it for me

I bought the folder on a whim really, but I have a feeling that its somehow a big one for me, and a module that could find a use on every patch I make

funny how some things just immediately find a place in a modular and others just don't have a reason to be there, for me this STG, the A189-1 and M12 have been huge, whereas equally fascinating modules like the A137, Tyme Sefari just don't feel right at all, while for the next guy they could be revelations... gotta try a PLL and wogglebug next!

big thanks!

Richard
panda30y
suboptimal wrote:
I'm really looking forward to adding this module to my rig soon. STG is a poet of modular awesomeness.

Add super nice and well dressed.
REwire
I went from the the A-137 then to the WVX and finally to the STG. I still have the WVX but hardly use it anymore since the STG.

Still, none of them are spot on Buchla, which I'm still waiting for.
felix
richard wrote:
and wave folders, wave shapers, wave animators, wave multipliers - the same things, or not?

FWIW, wave folders and wave multipliers tend to be based on the same principles. By folding the waveform over, based on some threshold, you are essentially multiplying it.

Wave shapers can be the same, but may also shape the waveform in different ways other than just folding/multiplication. They may serve the purpose of modifying waveforms altogether, for example shaping a triangle into a saw, or a saw into a sine.

Wave animators occupy a different category than the above 3 in that they don't necessarily multiply/fold or add/change the harmonic spectrum, they simply take waveforms that have some rising edge (saw, square) and make it sound like a bunch of detuned versions of itself. They may achieve these through different ways, but the intent seems to be the same. The only thing for sure is that they are very distinctly different from wave shapers/folders/multipliers.
NV
I bought the STG Wavefolder even after being slightly less than impressed with the limited demos I had heard of it in action. I figured perhaps there was more to it than there seemed, and found that was very true. It really is a fantastic module, and it is made with utmost quality. While you can get some great sounds out of it by tweaking it to a static setting, it truly comes alive when you animate the amount and offset.

Also I'll use this as another opportunity to tout the adjustment to the gain calibration on the PCB. I liked the module originally, but after recalibrating it I have found it to be of an even greater quality and have found many more uses for it. It's incredibly simple to do (and reverse) and I highly recommend trying it.
richard
NV wrote:
after recalibrating it I have found it to be of an even greater quality and have found many more uses for it. It's incredibly simple to do (and reverse) and I highly recommend trying it.

interesting. care to expand on that? did you find increasing the gain opened the module up. Or something else?

R
suitandtieguy
richard wrote:
interesting. care to expand on that? did you find increasing the gain opened the module up. Or something else?

increasing that gain actually makes the upper degree of "folding" significantly greater and makes the module sound brighter and more dynamic.

i'm sorry i shipped these calibrated the way i did at first, i really thought that it made a good audio VCA when patched as such. however its more extreme sounds are far more musically useful IMHO.

also: thanks for the kind words guys. you're making me blush over here.
NV
richard wrote:

R

The module has more dynamic capability in the way it effects the signal, as STG mentioned above. Turning a knob from 0 to 10 yields a much more dramatic shift in timbre and applying CV to the offset and amount can lead to more radical uses. It can still do the subtle shaping just as well, but adjusting the PCB trimpot leads to it being able to go above the subtle and into the more extreme if you set it up that way. It never really hits the Metasonix scream point - it always has a wonderfully musical sense of restraint to it, to use completely nonsensical subjective terms. To put it simply, it feels like all of the knobs run up to 25 rather than 10.

The adjustment does eliminate the VCA capabilities, although I've found that doing so opens up the Gain control as a musical effect rather than a utilitarian one. I've never really been one to fudge a "non-VCA" module into acting as a VCA - needing a ring mod or something awhile after you've used it as a VCA in a patch can be something of a hassle, so I don't miss the VCA part of the wavefolder. The Gain control now has an aspect of timbre modification that it didn't really possess previously and I find myself using it much more than before.
richard
Great - so I have all that come. It sounds like a free bonus to me! I certainly have an early model, in fact the its the first one ever delivered to AH. It doesn't even have a serial number and the Power cable is wrong way around - a little piece of history smile

R
richard
there are two calibration pots on the back of the STG, I assume its the one marked VCA I should tweak? Clockwise I assume? Any suggestions to how much?

Richard
NV
richard wrote:
there are two calibration pots on the back of the STG, I assume its the one marked VCA I should tweak? Clockwise I assume? Any suggestions to how much?

Richard

You want the trimpot labeled "T2 CV Null." Take the sine wave in your system which is the most "pure" and run it into the input, then listen to the output. Set all of the controls to "0," being careful to set the Offset control to noon at 0, not clear back to -5. You shouldn't hear anything coming out of the output.

Now take a screwdriver to the T2 CV Null trimmer and turn it until you can hear the sine wave. It's a multi-turn trimpot and should take quite a few turns so don't be discouraged if it takes awhile to hear it. Turn it up until you can hear it clearly but it hasn't started clipping and distorting, the closer the better. All done. If you want to reverse it back to VCA behavior, just turn the trimpot back down - the further down you turn it, the more VCA behavior it will exhibit.
suitandtieguy
o snap. I totally spaced on that, thanks for picking up the slack on the whole dissemination of information thing. your data is accurate.
Cat-A-Tonic
Just out of curiosity,
How hard would it be to add a panel mount control to replace this trimmer?
Would this be a worthwhile mod.?
If using a pot would it have to be a muliturn, or just a large value like 1M?
Could you use a switch that was wired to 2 different trimmer settings?

I do really love this modules as a VCA.
I want to try using the extreme side of it as well, but it sure would be alot more convenient if this were right on the front panel.

A mode-switch to the right of the CV Offset knob would probably be the most aesthetically pleasing mod.
It is a lovely, albeit very spaceous front panel.
I think an additional knob might not look so pretty in addition to the current layout, but there is plenty of space for one.
suitandtieguy
if someone really really wanted it i could bring that trim control to the front panel for 50 USD including shipping.

i can't promise it will look good with the panel (the knob would be a purple Davies 1900H clone) or work like you hope, but yeah i'd do that for any EU-format owners of this module.

personally, i don't think it's a good idea.
Kent
STG, what the value on said trimpot?
suitandtieguy
it doesn't matter. it's a voltage divider.

i first shipped them with 1K trims, ran out one day and looked at the schematic and realised it didn't matter, started throwing 5K trims (i had a few tubes of them i didn't know what i was going to do with) in all of them and it's OK.
Kent
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna take a look at mine in order to see if there is an elegant DIY mod.
sam
Hi didn't find the info anywhere, how many HP does the euro STG takes please, thanks.

Sam
wetterberg
sam wrote:
Hi didn't find the info anywhere, how many HP does the euro STG takes please, thanks.

Sam
http://mega.modularplanner.co.uk/standard.html
- 14 HP.
sam
Sadly no flash allowed on my one and only internet access on a mobil phone, thanks mister.

(Stg and AH should write it on their website tho.)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5