MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PAIA 4700 system. monetary value ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author PAIA 4700 system. monetary value ?
dmitri
My buddy has a Paia 4700 system that he assembled in the 80s. Funny thing is he never connected the modules to the power busses. I think he had tested them on the bench but just never fired up the entire cabinet.
Its a 4700 system in the original folding black cabinet.
It doesn't have a sequencer, Not sure if it has the keyboard but the folding cabinet is full. Not sure which modules are in there yet but they are all 4700.

Im Just curious If any body on here wants to give an honest opinion on value of something like this. He is bringing it over and Im supposed to wire up the modules and make it sing. If i can get it up and running i might offer him money for it and see if i can get into building some of Mr. Simonton's classic circuits to add to the system.
fluxmonkey
dbl cabinet w/out sequencer or keyboard typically sell on evilbay in the $400 to $600 range... it think that's a bit overvalued now as an instrument, but some folks (including myself) have a sentimental/nostalgic interest...
Bananalogue
i agree with fluxmonkey, $400-$600 seems to be about the current market. ive always thought the real value of paia was in the educational aspects though - in which case i think they are worth so much more.

on a related note, has the full run of polyphony been posted anywhere? ive enjoyed all the issues that ive come across and would love to look into it again.
kindredlost
Some of the caps and such may have to be replaced. These modules weren't made with specialty components per say but are lower specs on resistOra and such. Part of the charm though.
Just be careful to hook up each module one at a time.
My P4700J system still works but has many flakey bugs as is expected for an old synth. It' s a fun thing to play with.
dmitri
He finally brought it over and was sooo cool about it !

So he did put power wires/busses in the back of the box. But never wired the modules to the power buss. He did test them all when he built them and has a pretty good memory of it for it being 30 years.

The whole thing is mint! I wired up the modules to the power rails and made noise!

I did notice while wiring that:

The VCFs have some electrolytic caps mounted on the back of the pots/ to this little terminal strip type of thing. The contacts where the caps touch the terminal have some White Fuzz on em.

I for sure want to build a similar box with some sequencers in it to match.

8_)

fracmonkey
"The VCFs have some electrolytic caps mounted on the back of the pots/ to this little terminal strip type of thing. The contacts where the caps touch the terminal have some White Fuzz on em."

--This might be 331 solder where the flux was not washed off. Probably best to remove the fuzz and redo the connection with a "no clean" solder such as 245.
dmitri
Thank you FracMonkey I will do

Swood
I found a 4700 system recently and have been having a blast. BTW, as the CV is Hz/Oct, the MS-20m makes a great controller.
S!
createsounds
i was wondering the same thing i stumbled into a basically free Paia 4700 keyboard, 4782 or 4762 i think,

I'm wonder what to do with it,
had some 2700 modules to. which i thought would be fun,
now i just down know what to do with them..
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1