MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[New Module] seqSQUARED: The analogue pattern generator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  

Do you care about a basic semitone quantizer in the module or not?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 68 ]
No
15%
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 80

Author [New Module] seqSQUARED: The analogue pattern generator
hexinverter
NEWS/NOTICES (scroll down for module information!!!):

August 8, 2012: PRE-ORDERS ARE NOW SHIPPING seqSQUARED is now available in the shop! http://www.hexinverter.net

Project Information

Assembly Help Thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65578

Bill of Materials: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dGNMdWFsQlZDd GlydmZ3NERYR2NKYnc

Assembly Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_ASSEMBLYMANUAL.pdf

User Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_USERMANUAL.pdf

MOUSER CARTS:

UNIVERSAL KIT MOUSER CART: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=83e5e 80161

EURORACK KIT MOUSER CART: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=f1f62 d314d

NOTE: For eurorack kit builders, you will also require:
-- a 16 to 10 eurorack power cable (Erthenvar part number CABLE1016)
-- 14x Erthenvar 3.5mm jacks (Erthenvar part number JACK35MMV)

DEMO VIDEOS

DEMO VIDEO #2:

OPTIONS

PCB Sets:

Universal Kit Sets:

Euro Kit Sets (panel at http://www.resynthesis.co.uk ) -- LEDs not shown, but ARE included:

Eurorack Modules

Original post:

Howdy folks!

So, I feel it has been long enough along in the development that I can finally unveil my master plan for the next hexinverter.net module! (it will be available in DIY kit, Eurorack kit, and pre-assembled form!)

Essentially, seqSQUARED ("sequence sequencer!") is a voltage controlled sequential switch to expand a sequencer array with that works more like a creative musical device than most out there. My inspiration came from the way that most simple "pattern bank" software works -- load up a bank of patterns, and arrange a sequence of them to create a song.

It also just serves as a sequencer expander. It allows you to take multiple sequencers and chain them seamlessly into one big sequencer (ie: 4x8 steps = 32 steps, etc.)

I think the best way to explain it is a picture (more detailed description below):

Technical Features:

- Analogue pattern generation/sequencer arrangement + combining up to 8 steps long (with 4 sequencers as sources)
- Analogue-style user interface (NO deep menu editing, LCDs or rotary encoders)
- Standard CV/Gate output
- Built in voltage-controllable clock divider (thus, works with any sequencer of length 1 to 64)
- "Chaos" feature, which can add random probability that your sequence is altered on a step
- ~26HP eurorack kits and pre-built modules will be available (and perhaps other formats with panels? Not sure if Ben is doing these yet smile )

More Detailed Description

I also wanted a product for people who have purchased more than one sympleSEQ to have an easy way to turn their array of sympleSEQs into one MUCH more functional sequencer!

What my device does is take up to 4 independent sequencers, and turn them into that pattern bank by multiplexing them. Effectively, it turns 4 equal length sequencers into one big, programmable sequencer that can be any combination of 8 of those 4 sequencers...ie: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 or...4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4...whatever!

It sports an analogue interface and programs much like any other step sequencer, so it will feel right at home in a modular setup, even though it uses a microcontroller.

It also sports a voltage controllable clock divider, and a feature I call "chaos", which simply introduces a percentage change that it will output a randomly selected sequencer's note on the next step.

As of right now, it is far along in the prototyping phase and pre-ordering will begin soon! (a few weeks). Ben at Re:Synthesis will be making custom Eurorack panels for me to supply with kits. His work is astounding if you haven't seen it already on sympleSEQ!

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them here. I take all feature suggestions seriously but a lot of stuff just simply cannot make it through, feel free to comment though!

I will keep this thread updated with progress.

Here are the beta PCBs!:

Here is a shot of the CAD renderings of the prototype boards:

Here are some terrible cell phone quality images of the final beta progress! Things are coming along nicely. Lots of work to be done still, but hardware and software debugging/finalizing are far along.

spotta
How glad am I that I ordered 4 SimpleSeqs!!??!
mckenic
aargh!

I have 2 SimpleSEQs running independently, tempo controlled by the knobs. Not done the clock-in/slave/anything on the Re:Synthesis double Euro panel yet!

Should I wait until this is released? How will this integrate with 2 SimpleSeqs please? Front panel or wired behind the scenes?

Sorry, this stuff is right on the ragged edge of my SDIY understanding (yet!)!
hexinverter
double post...oops
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
aargh!

I have 2 SimpleSEQs running independently, tempo controlled by the knobs. Not done the clock-in/slave/anything on the Re:Synthesis double Euro panel yet!

Should I wait until this is released? How will this integrate with 2 SimpleSeqs please? Front panel or wired behind the scenes?

Sorry, this stuff is right on the ragged edge of my SDIY understanding (yet!)!

Unfortunately, due to some oversights in sympleSEQ's design (the CV and gate output are way too high for in a modular), there will be a very minimal amount of modifications necessary. Make your CV and gate outputs <= 5V, if possible. Use a voltage divider (R1 = 10k, R2 = 10k) at the CV output and put a 7805 regulator at your GATE output -- you should be fine then! seqSQUARED is an independent module, so there is no need to alter your sympleSEQ panel or anything!

These two changes will be well documented in the seqSQUARED manual to assist sympleSEQ owners how to do them, and can be performed quite easily even after sympleSEQ is already made. You should make the modifications anyway in my opinion -- the CV is much more usable that way!

EDIT: I meant to say, you are a-okay as long as your sympleSEQs can be clocked off the same clock as seqSQUARED! This is all done on the front panel.
hexinverter
spotta wrote:
How glad am I that I ordered 4 SimpleSeqs!!??!

Hehe, very, I hope grin
mckenic
BRILLIANT!

Thank you for the info mate! Really excited!!!
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
BRILLIANT!

Thank you for the info mate! Really excited!!!

You're welcome smile
sduck
nm
Mongo1
This is a great idea- I will definitely snap one up.
The one feature I wish it had would be a more advanced quantizer (selectable scales and modes). I'm sure that's off the table though eh?

Gary
hexinverter
Mongo1 wrote:
This is a great idea- I will definitely snap one up.
The one feature I wish it had would be a more advanced quantizer (selectable scales and modes). I'm sure that's off the table though eh?

Gary

I am hoping to incorporate something like this in the software without adding any extra controls. It would be pretty cryptic though, which wouldn't be so great. ie: LED #1 means "semitones", LED #2 means "fifths" -- that sort of thing.

I was actually thinking of doing a more dedicated mini-module with all sorts of advanced musical features like that, on its own. I just don't want the UI to be any more complex for this one -- I'll keep in mind ways to make it without adding more hardware though!

As it exists now, it's just an on/off switch, so it's very minimalistic.
falafelbiels
w00t interesting!
mckenic
hexinverter wrote:

I was actually thinking of doing a more dedicated mini-module with all sorts of advanced musical features like that, on its own.

PLEASE!

Urgently in need of some quantization here hihi

'You can never have too many VCAs' - for me its Quantizers. I have None! Im such a dope!
hexinverter
sduck wrote:
too much to read having to scroll back and forth - could you rescale the images so that they're not so big?

Okay, I removed the Muffwiggler upload frame thing that was bulking it up.

Protip: When you encounter something like this, hold down "CTRL" and scroll the mouser wheel up or down to scale up/down the web page -- it shrinks the text but will also fit it to your screen better and most likely make it more readable.
Mongo1
I'd suggest just leaving the thing at half-steps, and going on to the independent module. I currently have one of the MFOS sequencers that does the half/whole/fifths thing, and it's kind of useless really. The idea of being able to switch from Major to Hungarian Minor is MUCH more exciting to me.

Gary
hexinverter
Mongo1 wrote:
I'd suggest just leaving the thing at half-steps, and going on to the independent module. I currently have one of the MFOS sequencers that does the half/whole/fifths thing, and it's kind of useless really. The idea of being able to switch from Major to Hungarian Minor is MUCH more exciting to me.

Gary

Well, it's not useless if you don't have one (hence, including one here for sympleSEQ folks)! haha...but yeah, I definitely want to do a more complex one on its own. The hardware to control that alone (analogue style -- I dislike rotary encoders/LCDs) is a module on its own I think! My next project maybe? WHOO! I'm ahead of myself here. Gotta finish this one first wink Jeez. lol
bkbirge
Looks groovy, I'm in. May have to think about another pair of the sympleseq's too.
sduck
whatever
mome rath
hexinverter wrote:
lots of words

awesome
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
mikecameron
I'd really like to see a front panel mockup to get a better idea of it's capabilities and exactly how you'd program it.

Will it support the STG time bus or external clocking of any kind?
Barcode
I'm very interested. Any idea of what the euro panel size will be?
Mongo1
Barcode, for some reason that Avatar picture you're using makes me want to say "You'll get nothing and LIKE IT!"

applause

But back to business -

The reason I say the 1/2 step sort of quantizer is a little bit useless is because of the experience I've had running multiple sequencers.
Lets say you've got two inputs on the thing, and you run them to the CVs from separate sequencers. You can get the pattern to sound right from the first sequencer, and then add the second voltage in (clocked at 1/8h speed perhaps) to add a moving root note for the pattern. If you add anything other than a fifth or an octave, you have about a 99% chance of one of the notes in the new pattern violating whatever key you wanted to be in.
If you have something like the Blacet miniwave, it will obligingly force those notes into the new key, but a straight 1/2 step sequencer really will just give you a quantized version of the weird note. It may be better than nothing, but not by a whole lot....

Gary
hexinverter
sduck wrote:
lotsa images 'n stuff

I understand your disdain for the images having stretched the forum width such that the text wrapper is also stretched. I should probably make the double wide PCB image single width and tiled vertically instead, however, the image dimensions themselves are perfectly fine. I'm not resizing the images. 1200px wide is perfect for a board rendering.

I don't know what sort of old monitor you're on? Maybe a laptop? I've had a generic, cheap LG, ~4 year old 24" monitor for years and these images could be even bigger on it (if you ask me)...

I am much too lazy to open Photoshop at the moment and change the image tiling, but when I update them next I will do that for you so it fixes the forum width! 800px is just not large enough for 2012 if you ask me.
hexinverter
mikecameron wrote:
I'd really like to see a front panel mockup to get a better idea of it's capabilities and exactly how you'd program it.

No time bus/etc. It runs off sequencer clocks (square waves, TTL-style logic). If you have a sequencer that runs off time bus or other clocking methods that outputs TTL clock for driving other modular gear, you can interface with that. I cannot develop for this standard as I have zero gear that uses it to test/develop with, sorry!

Front panel mockup will be coming as soon as Ben is done it smile

I'm going to say it will be around 26HP in eurorack.
hexinverter
Barcode wrote:
I'm very interested. Any idea of what the euro panel size will be?

I'm thinking around 26HP.
whitewulfe
...Dammit, guess I've no choice now but to go with Re:Synthesis' quad panel simpleseq setup... That's just too damn kickass to not get my paws on!
sduck
Ok, never mind.
thanatronique
Still not done with the repairs on my sympleseq, to many things got in the way. But I'm looking forward to this.

ETA?
hexinverter
thanatronique wrote:
Still not done with the repairs on my sympleseq, to many things got in the way. But I'm looking forward to this.

ETA?

ETA:

Full prototype done + sexy promo video/demo made + preorders: < 1 month

Ready to ship: ~3 months, maybe 4 (from now)...depending how quickly the funding campaign is fulfilled

Costs for this project are far too much for me to front, so, again, much like sympleSEQ, I will be running a funding campaign.

The software is 95% done, the hardware is 99% done. The panel is being worked on by Ben right now, and the PCBs are receiving finishing touches which will make them ready for prototyping very soon!
hexinverter
whitewulfe wrote:
...Dammit, guess I've no choice now but to go with Re:Synthesis' quad panel simpleseq setup... That's just too damn kickass to not get my paws on!

Haha! I guess so smile
hexinverter
mikecameron wrote:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention -- there will be a demo video of the prototype once it's done smile
thanatronique
Keep us informed as soon as we can fund that campaign!
we're not worthy
Rymf
Fwiw, hexinverter, I'm writing this comment having unsuccessfully attempted to read this thread on my iPad--not every device that people use to read the Internet in 2012 has a 24" monitor attached to it.
hexinverter
Rymf wrote:
Fwiw, hexinverter, I'm writing this comment having unsuccessfully attempted to read this thread on my iPad--not every device that people use to read the Internet in 2012 has a 24" monitor attached to it.

Sorry, I'm just a guy who makes synthesizer modules.

You really cannot please everyone confused
Rymf
Look man, I'm sorry if I upset you, I'm not mad if it makes any difference.

I wouldn't have said anything at all had you not responded several posts up in a way that I would characterize as dismissive, bordering on condescending, to someone who appeared to be giving honest, even-tempered feedback.

Back on topic, this looks like a clever module. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
sduck
edit: Op fixed, no need for a dupe! Thanks hexinverter!
fonik
so it works with any sequencer. it is a kind of sequencer master manager!? good to know, since i have a new sequencer on the bench, a new kind of sequencer, actually (and not the ADC sequencer, hehe).
2012 seems to be the year of the sequencer!?
Pfurmel
fonik wrote:
i have a new sequencer on the bench, a new kind of sequencer, actually (and not the ADC sequencer,

Interesting...
hexinverter
fonik wrote:
so it works with any sequencer. it is a kind of sequencer master manager!? good to know, since i have a new sequencer on the bench, a new kind of sequencer, actually (and not the ADC sequencer, hehe).
2012 seems to be the year of the sequencer!?

YAY! smile

Yes, it is definitely the year of the sequencer! haha...never can have too many of 'em if you ask me! I <3 sequencers.
sduck
I'm trying to get my head around all this. So as Fonik asked, it works with any sequencers you want to group up, or is it limited to 8 step sequencers? Could, for instance, I throw 4 MFOS 16 step sequencers behind a panel and manage them all with this (not that I'd want to - that'd be a massive build)? What kind of controls are there for choosing which sequencers are active at any given time, and how flexible is this switching? I love the idea of the "chaos" random step thing - I like wrong notes! I like the quantizer idea, but keeping that as an option is probably a wise choice.
diablojoy
Quote:
I'm trying to get my head around all this. So as Fonik asked, it works with any sequencers you want to group up, or is it limited to 8 step sequencers? Could, for instance, I throw 4 MFOS 16 step sequencers behind a panel and manage them all with this (not that I'd want to - that'd be a massive build)?

Yeah trying to get my head round it too , sounds very interesting
especially as i have 4 of mathias's VCPS and another 4 of RYKS- M185's
2 klee's and 2 MFOS 16's I could try it out with. that is if i could build it as a seperate module anyway, definitely want more info , going just off the block diagram it looks like it might not care about number of steps per sequencer just being limited to 4 sequencers could be interesting if 4 different types of sequencers could be utilised
hexinverter
You can use it with any length sequencer. There is a built in clock division, so you select the point at which it goes to the next sequencer (ie: 8, 16, 32, 64 steps) -- so, your total combined output sequence length would then be:

(#of sequencers) x (steps per clock division)

It will work with any length sequencer, and should work with any normal level CV and gate voltages (0-5V). I am hoping to demonstrate combining different brand sequencers in the demo video.

The panel is around 26HP wide and features an 8-step LED sequence at the top which serves as the main display area. As the pattern is running, the LEDs step much like any other sequencer. Each LED represents a step in the pattern. Beside the 4x CV/Gate input jacks are their corresponding "source" LEDs. As the pattern steps, each source's LED lights up for that step, indicating to the user which sequence is active in the pattern.

To edit, you hold down the "edit" button for 2 seconds, the edit LED comes on, indicating that you are in edit mode. You select the step in the pattern you want to edit with one knob, and the source for that step in the pattern with the other "source select" knob. You hit the "edit" button for a short press, and an animation plays on the LED sequence, indicating you've just written a new step in the sequence. The pattern keeps running in the background as the display is being used by you for editing.

Not sure if that made sense -- but it's very intuitive and simple to program. The deepest the "digital-ness" of it gets is making you hold the edit button for two seconds to swap in and out of edit/run modes.

All 8 steps can be programmed in a couple of seconds, and feels very much like a standard 8-step sequencer.
hexinverter
diablojoy wrote:
Quote:
I'm trying to get my head around all this. So as Fonik asked, it works with any sequencers you want to group up, or is it limited to 8 step sequencers? Could, for instance, I throw 4 MFOS 16 step sequencers behind a panel and manage them all with this (not that I'd want to - that'd be a massive build)?

Yeah trying to get my head round it too , sounds very interesting
especially as i have 4 of mathias's VCPS and another 4 of RYKS- M185's
2 klee's and 2 MFOS 16's I could try it out with. that is if i could build it as a seperate module anyway, definitely want more info , going just off the block diagram it looks like it might not care about number of steps per sequencer just being limited to 4 sequencers could be interesting if 4 different types of sequencers could be utilised

You should be able to do that, Diablo smile

Basically, you should set the clock to the lowest length sequence you have in the array.

So, if you had, say, 3x 16 step sequencers and 1x 32 step, you should set it to reset at 16 steps. Then it would be as if you had 4x 16 steps then. You'd want to make the 32 step line up so it resets at the same time, though...or it would be out of sync. You could use that to your musical advantage perhaps, though? razz
diablojoy
Quote:
So, if you had, say, 3x 16 step sequencers and 1x 32 step, you should set it to reset at 16 steps. Then it would be as if you had 4x 16 steps then. You'd want to make the 32 step line up so it resets at the same time, though...or it would be out of sync. You could use that to your musical advantage perhaps, though?

yes perhaps so
if the progrmming section could also be CV'd with an add on cct and sequenced as well.
thinking of say sympleseq64 , klee , mfos16 and m185
and yet another sequencer to cv the programming
this way perhaps an entire song can be sequenced
with say intro , main , bridge and chorus sections
all different and brought into play at the correct intervals
not sure if it would acheivable but something to think on perhaps
will need to think more on the timing of it all first.
hexinverter
diablojoy wrote:
Quote:
So, if you had, say, 3x 16 step sequencers and 1x 32 step, you should set it to reset at 16 steps. Then it would be as if you had 4x 16 steps then. You'd want to make the 32 step line up so it resets at the same time, though...or it would be out of sync. You could use that to your musical advantage perhaps, though?

yes perhaps so
if the progrmming section could also be CV'd with an add on cct and sequenced as well.
thinking of say sympleseq64 , klee , mfos16 and m185
and yet another sequencer to cv the programming
this way perhaps an entire song can be sequenced
with say intro , main , bridge and chorus sections
all different and brought into play at the correct intervals
not sure if it would acheivable but something to think on perhaps
will need to think more on the timing of it all first.

The point at which the switch goes to the next sequence (ie: the clock divider) IS CV'able, so you could probably figure out how to do this, yes smile
diablojoy
Quote:
The point at which the switch goes to the next sequence (ie: the clock divider) IS CV'able, so you could probably figure out how to do this, yes

cool i wasn't absolutely certain that was its operation but guessed that it maybe. but also thinking if which sequencer is next up in line was selectable by cv as well would be a good option to add not sure yet how hard that would be to acheive but i think it may not be too hard to do
but in any case definitely in for one
haha just had a crazy thought maybe 5 would be good
though that may just tip the scales over to complete insanity : hyper eek! screaming goo yo deadbanana:
zoot horn rollo
hexinverter wrote:

Unfortunately, due to some oversights in sympleSEQ's design (the CV and gate output are way too high for in a modular), there will be a very minimal amount of modifications necessary. Make your CV and gate outputs <= 5V, if possible. Use a voltage divider (R1 = 10k, R2 = 10k) at the CV output and put a 7805 regulator at your GATE output -- you should be fine then!

Are you able to elaborate on how to use a 7805 regulator on the gate output of the simpleseq?

I built my simpleseq last night with a voltage divider on the CV out but am not sure how to reduce the gate out.
hexinverter
zoot horn rollo wrote:

Are you able to elaborate on how to use a 7805 regulator on the gate output of the simpleseq?

I built my simpleseq last night with a voltage divider on the CV out but am not sure how to reduce the gate out.

Sure! No problem.

Basically, the sympleSEQ puts out somewhere around 8-13.something volts for GATE, depending on what your power supply is (9 to 15v) -- but, that's much too high to feed into most stuff (circuitry to reduce it was left out for simplicity, for people that want to, say, drive an Atari Punk Console or something extremely simple with it).

So, you want to reduce the GATE voltage to somewhere less than or equal to 5V. A voltage regulator is a perfect candidate for this, as when the sympleSEQ GATE is on (logic high), it will clip it down to 5V. When it's off (logic low), the regulator will be shut down and be 0V.

So, to do this, just take your GATE output on sympleSEQ and build this little circuit such that it passes through it to your GATE output. You will then have a reduced gate voltage that goes from 0V at low to 5V when high. Perfect for using with seqSQUARED and many other modules:

hexinverter
sduck wrote:
Here's what the OP looks like, with minor adjustments made. No photoshop. Took me about 30 seconds to do this. Totally readable on my 2 week old macbook pro running at the default resolution. Just providing this to others who may have had problems reading the original - no offense meant to the OP, who is a stellar synth designer!
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

I think the OP should be fixed now smile

(that's what I meant about tiling the images vertically instead)
hexinverter
I have just added a poll to the first post -- please respond to it if you are interested in the project! Thanks!!!
Mongo1
Hi Hex,

I guess I'm not sure about poll. If the quantizer doesn't make it in, are we getting something else instead? If you include the quant, are we giving something else up?

You know how we are. We want EVERYTHING! applause

Gary
mome rath
I am interested in this because of the included quantizer

the other stuff I don't understand well enough to imagine using it until it's actually built and I can start to play with it w00t
zoot horn rollo
hexinverter wrote:
... So, to do this, just take your GATE output on sympleSEQ and build this little circuit such that it passes through it to your GATE output. You will then have a reduced gate voltage that goes from 0V at low to 5V when high. ...

Thanks hexinverter!
numan7
great idea!

i already sort of do a crude version of this technique by patching multiple sequencers into doepfer a-152 (8-fold vc-switch). a dedicated module for sequencing sequencers would be complete awesomeness!!! Rockin' Banana!

cheers
diablojoy
anyone think of a reason you couldn't run 2 or more of these
in series besides the probable propagation delays of the clocking ?
example
4 sequencers into first module then 3 sequencers and the output of the first module into the inputs of a second module and so on
just one of my crazy idea's perhaps.
hexinverter
diablojoy wrote:
anyone think of a reason you couldn't run 2 or more of these
in series besides the probable propagation delays of the clocking ?
example
4 sequencers into first module then 3 sequencers and the output of the first module into the inputs of a second module and so on
just one of my crazy idea's perhaps.

Well, the way the software works, it shouldn't have any problem I don't think. It's not like CMOS logic where you have to worry about that, as it is constantly polling for a clock pulse. It changes the CV/Gate being output only when the clock changes, if that makes sense. So, if it changes 100nS late from propagation delays, it couldn't care any less! grin

The microcontroller interrupts when a clock pulse arrives at the clock input, so basically, you just run them all off the same clock and it should be fine!

Just set the divider (externally, as the internal one only goes up to 64 steps) to whatever combined sequence length you want to go to the next one after.

I actually thought of this too, and I think it should work! If I get enough prototypes made I will try and test it for you, Diablo smile
hexinverter
zoot horn rollo wrote:
hexinverter wrote:
... So, to do this, just take your GATE output on sympleSEQ and build this little circuit such that it passes through it to your GATE output. You will then have a reduced gate voltage that goes from 0V at low to 5V when high. ...

Thanks hexinverter!

Not a problem smile
hexinverter
numan7 wrote:
great idea!

i already sort of do a crude version of this technique by patching multiple sequencers into doepfer a-152 (8-fold vc-switch). a dedicated module for sequencing sequencers would be complete awesomeness!!! Rockin' Banana!

cheers

Yay! grin
hexinverter
Mongo1 wrote:
Hi Hex,

I guess I'm not sure about poll. If the quantizer doesn't make it in, are we getting something else instead? If you include the quant, are we giving something else up?

You know how we are. We want EVERYTHING! applause

Gary

Haha, fair enough! I figured some might want a bit more details.

I ask mostly because of cost. If there is no quantizer, the PIC can just control the multiplexer that selects the CV/Gate and be totally transparent to it, saving the use of a high resolution DAC and precision voltage reference. Basically, it saves about $10 in parts and a lot of board space to get rid of it. -- But, they ARE very useful of course smile

PS: In case it was not clear, the quantizer alters note pitch, not step length or anything like that. This module does nothing to step length; it merely selects which GATE signal passes through.

It's not being used for anything but quantizing, so I figured if people weren't really into it I'd get to work on a more feature-rich PIC-based quantizer as a different module and save the pricey DACs and stuff for that design.

I was not planning to add anything too crazy to this module, if it was gone, though.

The consensus thus far seems to be to keep it, let me know wink
hexinverter
mome rath wrote:

the other stuff I don't understand well enough to imagine using it until it's actually built and I can start to play with it w00t

Read my response to Mongo1 smile
diablojoy
Quote:
Well, the way the software works, it shouldn't have any problem I don't think. It's not like CMOS logic where you have to worry about that, as it is constantly polling for a clock pulse. It changes the CV/Gate being output only when the clock changes, if that makes sense. So, if it changes 100nS late from propagation delays, it couldn't care any less!

ORSM
that is great news

I will probably go for at least 3 then, when available.
hexinverter
What is this!? Ben's preliminary panel layout is done! Sexy. 26HP wide smile

falafelbiels
So is it pretty much a sequential gate + bells & whistles?

It looks cool w00t
hexinverter
falafelbiels wrote:
So is it pretty much a sequential gate + bells & whistles?

It looks cool w00t

It is a programmable sequential switch, yes. The difference is that a normal one can only go: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4.

This one can be quickly changed to have different sequences, and has a familiar feeling user interface.

But yeah, you've pretty much got it!
falafelbiels
Well I still think it's very ineresting and I'm still thinking of being in...
I loves me some sequencing!
Paradigm X
w00t looks great.

You making any more symple seq kits at the same time? Mr. Green
hexinverter
Paradigm X wrote:
w00t looks great.

You making any more symple seq kits at the same time? Mr. Green

No more sympleSEQ kits, nope... :( Sorry!

I definitely have a bunch of PCBs in stock though!
hexinverter
Board orders are sent out! grin

Final prototype will be assembled over the next month, then a video will be made fully demonstrating the module.

Indiegogo is being used for funding, once again. Prices are as follows:

hexinverter wrote:

Options + Prices

PCB Set w/ uC (with preprogrammed microcontroller): $35

Universal Kit (no jacks, knobs, power connectors or anything else eurorack specific): $70

Eurorack Kit (includes a 26HP professionally made panel by Re:Synthesis, and all electronics necessary to build your own eurorack module): $120

Eurorack Module (fully assembled and tested): $235

I have opened up funding if you are interested in helping "kick-start" this project. While I have no control over the time the prototype boards take to arrive, I can order components I know will be used regardless of the success of the final prototype earlier and save a lot of time if funds for them arrive earlier!

Here is a link to the funding campaign where you can secure a pre-order!

http://www.indiegogo.com/seqsquared
hexinverter
The internet memes called to me on this one...lol

hexinverter
A shot of the CAD renderings of the board order I've now sent out smile
mome rath
did i miss a price?

hyper

edit: holy shit, just a few posts up
hexinverter
mome rath wrote:
did i miss a price?

hyper

You must have! It's in the top post... smile (I think I missed putting the PCB + uC price in the reply one at first wink )

hexinverter wrote:

Options + Prices

PCB Set w/ uC (with preprogrammed microcontroller): $35

Universal Kit (no jacks, knobs, power connectors or anything else eurorack specific): $70

Eurorack Kit (includes a 26HP professionally made panel by Re:Synthesis, and all electronics necessary to build your own eurorack module): $120

Eurorack Module (fully assembled and tested): $235
mome rath
oops
mome rath
says your campaign needs to update paypal info or else i'd be the first contributor!!
hexinverter
mome rath wrote:
says your campaign needs to update paypal info or else i'd be the first contributor!!

Oh, balls! Hold on...
hexinverter
Well, it seems as though there is a bug with Indiegogo...never had this problem before, and I went through their checklist to make sure it's all a-okay!

Will contact their support and get back to you smile
mome rath
I tried again and it said "already submitted this form / no need to resubmit"
hexinverter
mome rath wrote:
I tried again and it said "already submitted this form / no need to resubmit"

O_o I have no clue in heck what that means. lol

I'm sure it's a bug...this never happened with the old user interface they had!

Should have a response by morning, I would think grin
mome rath
i'll be here when it's ready
8_)
hexinverter
Update: For a number of technical reasons, I have removed the Chaos CV input from the feature-set. It is still user controllable via the potentiometer on the panel. That is, the Chaos feature still exists -- it just doesn't have a CV input any longer. CVing it has pretty limited use if you ask me, anyway...it was either that or one of the other CVs disappears...so I'd rather have that go!

I think I will do a write up in the manual about how to mod it in yourself for the adventurous types, however!

The board order is out now, so no more significant hardware changes will be made!
bkbirge
So I'm thinkin' 16 sympleSeq's into 4 seqSquared into 1 seqSquared. I want to see someone do that in euro. And then double it for stereo. The awesomeness would melt the sun.

hexinverter
bkbirge wrote:
So I'm thinkin' 16 sympleSeq's into 4 seqSquared into 1 seqSquared. I want to see someone do that in euro. And then double it for stereo. The awesomeness would melt the sun.

LOL! Well if there's anyone that'll do it, it's Diablojoy! xD
hexinverter
This is his sympleSEQ array if you have not seen it at the EM forums yet...

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/sympleseq64_front_view_126. jpg

The thread: http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49287&postorder=asc&sta rt=250
diablojoy
Quote:

Trust me i did actually have that very thought about 3 days ago. though not in euro or the stereo part, even i wouldnt try to do it twice.
anyway , doubt i could afford to do it in real estate terms let alone financially. but we shall see hmmm.....
I am looking at perhaps building some dual modules in 19", but havent as yet decided if it might be 2 or 3 also I do have some other more involved options as well i would like to mull over.
hexinverter
diablojoy wrote:
Quote:

Trust me i did actually have that very thought about 3 days ago. though not in euro or the stereo part, even i wouldnt try to do it twice.
anyway , doubt i could afford to do it in real estate terms let alone financially. but we shall see hmmm.....
I am looking at perhaps building some dual modules in 19", but havent as yet decided if it might be 2 or 3 also I do have some other more involved options as well i would like to mull over.

Haha! You are nuts Diablo...in such a great way! grin
hexinverter
I am told the final beta PCBs should be here from the manufacturer in a little over a week. Nice!
thanatronique
very frustrating Sorry Stacy,

Completely forgot about that project. Going to have to fund a little later cause I'm broke right now.
hexinverter
thanatronique wrote:
very frustrating Sorry Stacy,

Completely forgot about that project. Going to have to fund a little later cause I'm broke right now.

No worries! There's no rush at all right now! Funding is just open in case people are feeling anxious and want to kick-start things smile

thumbs up
sicpaul
Hi Hex,

great project! applause

Fits perfect to my several 4029 based baby seq experiments I'm doing right now.

Under 25 posts I can't vote yet.
My choice would be with quantisation.

I'll be in for 1 pcb + pic

@fonik
Quote:
since i have a new sequencer on the bench

sounds good hyper
hexinverter
sicpaul wrote:
Hi Hex,

great project! applause

Fits perfect to my several 4029 based baby seq experiments I'm doing right now.

Under 25 posts I can't vote yet.
My choice would be with quantisation.

I'll be in for 1 pcb + pic

@fonik
Quote:
since i have a new sequencer on the bench

sounds good hyper

Right on! Sounds good smile

Don't worry -- the quantizer is in! (the poll is old wink )

Great to have you on board!
mckenic
How did I frickin miss the funding thingy on the front page!!!

Will donair once the card is clear!
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
How did I frickin miss the funding thingy on the front page!!!

Will donair once the card is clear!

Maybe it's too small? eek!

Hehe, right on! No rush, by the way!
hexinverter
sympleSEQ users!!!...

I have just created a guide on how to convert your sympleSEQ to 5V levels for use with seqSQUARED (or other gear, for that matter!) smile

http://cv.hexinverter.net/?projects=sympleseq-5v-level-conversion
hexinverter
UPDATE!: The beta PCBs have arrived! (see images below). I will begin populating them and finishing the software now. Once that is done, a demo video will be made showing the modules use in a modular synthesizer. ETA for demo video: ~3 weeks, maybe less!

Here are the beta PCBs!:

Paradigm X
Yo Hex, looks great!

Is there a BOM somewhere Ive missed, just wondering wht the difference between universal and pcb only is, ie any rare/weird parts? Precision resistors for quantiser? etc grin

On another note i was ready to go 5u but theres so much nice (and readymade=easier panels!) euro stuff floating around at the mo, Ben and clarke for example. Arrgh!

edit: although is Ben planning a 5u version too This is fun! we're not worthy

I see another couple of sympleseq boards and a quad panel in my future...

Nice one.

thumbs up
hexinverter
Paradigm X wrote:
Yo Hex, looks great!

Is there a BOM somewhere Ive missed, just wondering wht the difference between universal and pcb only is, ie any rare/weird parts? Precision resistors for quantiser? etc grin

On another note i was ready to go 5u but theres so much nice (and readymade=easier panels!) euro stuff floating around at the mo, Ben and clarke for example. Arrgh!

edit: although is Ben planning a 5u version too This is fun! we're not worthy

I see another couple of sympleseq boards and a quad panel in my future...

Nice one.

thumbs up

Hey man!

Thanks for the interest! smile

The BOM will be posted shortly, once the beta is totally finalized. Rest assured there will be plenty of time to source parts before the boards ship if you are going with a bare PCB.

All parts are common and are available from Mouser/etc. You will need very specific potentiometers and switches if going with the eurorack panel mounted version, hence why I'm providing kits for those with the panels.

There's nothing more than your regular old pots, jacks, LEDs and switches if you're building your own format though.
Paradigm X
Cool, will prob go for bare PCB then.

Thanks!

Ben
synthnut
Hi,

Really looking forward to this one, I think it's going to be a killer module!

Panel wise, those that would like Euro panels will need to order through Stacy and indigogo etc.

I will certainly be doing a MU panel! Here's my initial concept for the double width panel:

It's only a preliminary version, but it will be along these lines I think.

I could perhaps be persuaded to do an MOTM format one too...

Cheers,

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
mome rath
synthnut wrote:
Hi,

Really looking forward to this one, I think it's going to be a killer module!

Panel wise, those that would like Euro panels will need to order through Stacy and indigogo etc.

I will certainly be doing a MU panel! Here's my initial concept for the double width panel:

It's only a preliminary version, but it will be along these lines I think.

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS love

cost prediction?
thanatronique
Finally got a little bit of money, so I've just contributed to the campaign.
Paradigm X
Nice one Ben

You and Stacy are stealing all ma monies

cry hihi

Ive just ordered 2 more sympleseq boards so will be looking for the Quad MU panel next month, then the seq-squared in the fullness of time.

thumbs up
Mongo1
Ok - so I just jumped on the bandwagon.
Ben - I'll definitely be buying one of those panels...

Gary
hexinverter
Here are some terrible cell phone quality images of the final beta progress! Things are coming along nicely. Lots of work to be done still, but hardware and software debugging/finalizing are far along!

thanatronique
nanners

Looks awesome!
ericD13
Stacy (and ben) : you're sequencers' wizards !

The MU panel is gorgeous smile
READYdot
Ordered a Dual SimpleSeq and will certainly order another one, when I pledge for the seqsquare at the end o the month! Brilliant project!
boothnavy
MU seq2 + MU quad simple seq = mind boner
hexinverter
A demo video for seqSQUARED is now live on YouTube!

I am hoping to make a more involved video later where I demonstrate some more of the features and with some more interesting patches.

fate
awesome payment sent
falafelbiels
Very, very cool!
ringstone
Wow, have to get some money together to get in on this... looking good!

Cheers
Blair
boothnavy
Is Ben making a companion panel for this in 5U? to match the other 5U panels he made for the simple seqs? that sure would be awesome... ben...
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
Is Ben making a companion panel for this in 5U? to match the other 5U panels he made for the simple seqs? that sure would be awesome... ben...

I am quite sure he is! Here's a rendering he did not too long ago for MU format!
boothnavy
That's nice.
hexinverter
UPDATE: Quantizer/other features update

Alright folks! I know it's been quiet around these parts for a bit! Sorry about that. I can assure you I've been hard at work working on things (sourcing good potentiometers, and solving some hardware problems), as well as working things out with all of the other people involved!

With that, I have a pretty major update to tell you about. Grab a coffee or something because it's probably a bit of a read for me to fully explain it!

I'll present a "short version" for all of you that don't care to read the whole story, but, I encourage you to read my wall of text below if you really want to understand my reasoning behind this smile

First off, this decision was NOT made without a serious amount of scrutiny and weighing things out. I actually consider it bad form on my part to change anything hardware/functional at this point in the process because funds have already been committed for a specific feature-set. Usually one expects to not alter the design features in any way once money has been laid down, so, this situation would never have entered my mind were it not for it seeming so difficult to keep the feature. For this, you have my most sincere of apologies. I do not feel good about it at all, but I feel in my heart that it is what must be done! very frustrating

In the future, I wish to not have to resort to public funding to support my quirky projects, so I apologize once again for making everyone a "guinea pig", so to speak! Hopefully soon, I will be enough in the green that projects can carry over and support the next one without external funding.

Because there has already been a substantial amount of investment in this project, as well as a large amount of support for the basic quantization feature, it is only because I really feel it should be removed that I have come to this decision.

I know that everyone wants the most functionality for their buck, and it is with that in mind that I came to the decision to remove the quantizer in favour of much more unique features.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

THE SHORT VERSION:

The bad:

- The quantizer feature is being removed from seqSQUARED. It's just not economical from a design/bill-of-materials-cost standpoint to have an accurate quantizer built in that only does semitone quantizing (especially with SO many great quantizers out on the market in both DIY and ready made form!). Also, the quantizer being in limits the CV the module passes through to 5V, which sucks for things like filters and other modulation destinations.

The good:

- This allows CV greater than 5V to pass through seqSQUARED. CVs will no longer be clipped at 5V like with the quantizer in!
- This frees up I/O pins on the microcontroller to put the chaos CV feature back in
- Free I/O pins on the microcontroller means making seqSQUARED more of what its core functionality is supposed to be: an analogue pattern generator. I am adding the ability to have patterns greater than 8 steps in length, as well as some other little things that will make the overall pattern creation experience a LOT better than it is if I leave in the quantizer.

If you are furious with me and completely opposed to this design change, please, ask me for a full refund! hex[at]hexinverter.net I recommend that you at least read the full version below before making up your mind though!

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

THE LONG VERSION:

When I set with the design goals in mind for this project, having a basic semitone quantizer was one of the first things I played around with making on the microcontroller. I want seqSQUARED to not only be an analogue pattern generator, but something that makes sequencers more functional in other ways.

I did not, however, fully understand exactly what goes into making an accurate digital quantizer. It was an excellent learning process in which my imagination and research furthered my knowledge in many ways!

It turns out that it is quite the involved process to accurately (within .1%) reproduce an analogue signal on the other end with a digital microcontroller. It requires a lot of expensive microcontroller peripherals (precision voltage reference, and a 12bit DAC) which add up to a lot of cost on the bill of materials. While cost is definitely NOT a huge motivator to me here (I honestly couldn't care if it cuts into profits for me...the price is set and that's that!), parts complexity definitely poses a threat to builders and myself while assembling units.

Basically, it takes the same amount of hardware/cost to make a super simple semitone quantizer as it does to make a very elaborate quantizing unit, of which there are many on the market today.

So, what we have if we keep the quantizer is some seriously underused hardware and I/O pins that could be doing crazy musical quantization in another module. The quantizer also imposes a 0-5V limitation on the CV input without additional hardware (making the quantizer even MORE complex).

We are also at a limit with I/O pins and board complexity where adding the ability to extend to patterns longer than 8-steps (for that extra irregular variation only every few bars) is not possible due to lack of interfacing space.

I am really determined to keep deep menu editing OUT of seqSQUARED.

Bottom line: Freeing up the I/O pins and saving $$$ on the BOM (bill of materials) with the removal of the quantizer will free up resources for adding more features and controls completely unique to this module, such as the Chaos CV input which was previously removed. It will also solve a number of complex design challenges that are caused solely by the quantizer. It is not that I cannot solve them with it there -- it's more like I just don't think it's worth keeping for all the effort and resources it will take to keep it there!

I have spoken with a number of people (some technical, some not) about this matter and asked their opinions, and the consensus seems to be weighted to removing the quantizer as well in favour of other more economical and unique features

I can't stress enough how we are not losing things entirely here -- it is to make way for more unique features and programming ability for seqSQUARED, while solving a number of design challenges!

So, in conclusion, to the 90% of folks who are into the quantizer, I am sorry for dropping this bomb on you. Please accept my apologies as a design error and believe me when I say that it is in the best interest of the module to go this route!

Once again, I totally feel like crap about changing anything at this point. The game changes entirely when people have already laid down money for a product, but, I have slept on this idea for days and just can't see it being better with the quantizer in the picture.

If you missed it above, I am fully prepared to provide refunds to whomever feels that they do not want to own this module any longer, with these changes. Feel free to email me if so: hex[at]hexinverter.net

If you haven't already, read the short version above as well so it's clear in your mind exactly what is being added to replace it.

If any of this is unclear to you, please, don't hesitate to ask questions! If it's urgent, I can always be found by email! ( hex[at]hexinverter.net )
spotta
No problem for me,
Just signed up for funding =]
bkbirge
As long as the auto-blowjob generator is still there I'm good.
mckenic
thumbs up

No problem mate!
I'll still be ordering one! (once I get my head round it!)

Dont sweat it mate!
hexinverter
Awesome guys. Thanks for being so understanding smile Hopefully I haven't upset anyone too much! I really feel bad about it. I hope I don't make anyone think I'm a whacko or something...

In reality, I'm really just one guy making modules. Maybe one day I will be able to hire some help and make this process a little less bumpy! thumbs up
ericD13
Thanks for the explanations.

You're right, there are high level quantizers around and creating a chaos pattern (if I understood well) is really new and makes me dream.

Please keep on your enthusiastic way and don't feel bad : I imagine I'm not the only one who's just happy that guys like you build such great modules.
emdot_ambient
All the sequencers in my to-be-built modular set up are already spec'd out to have a quantizer built into them...BEFORE they go into the SEQsquared, so I'm really not worried about it.

Furthermore, most people into sequencing for melodic music will already have one or more quantizers in their rigs anyway (or I would hope so!).

AND, in my particular case, I wasn't even aware that this module was supposed to include a quantizer hihi

So, if you lose the quantizer seriously, i just don't get it no skin off my big fat hairy butt!
hexinverter
emdot_ambient wrote:
All the sequencers in my to-be-built modular set up are already spec'd out to have a quantizer built into them...BEFORE they go into the SEQsquared, so I'm really not worried about it.

Furthermore, most people into sequencing for melodic music will already have one or more quantizers in their rigs anyway (or I would hope so!).

AND, in my particular case, I wasn't even aware that this module was supposed to include a quantizer hihi

So, if you lose the quantizer seriously, i just don't get it no skin off my big fat hairy butt!

Haha! Well, thanks man smile That's great to hear!
hexinverter
ericD13 wrote:
Thanks for the explanations.

You're right, there are high level quantizers around and creating a chaos pattern (if I understood well) is really new and makes me dream.

Please keep on your enthusiastic way and don't feel bad : I imagine I'm not the only one who's just happy that guys like you build such great modules.

Thank you for your kind and considerate words! It's peanut butter jelly time!
dnode
Stacy, it's all right for me!
Quantization is a nice feature, but not a 'core' functionality. I'm no Vulcan, but your considerations seem quite logical to me. Thanks for sharing those.
ericD13
I believe that 87% said they cared to get a quantizer because we always want MORE smile
If you throw a poll asking whether we prefer a quantizer, most of us already have, or (xor) a chaos function we don't have I bet that the result will be a huge yes for chaos (sounds a bit anarchist eek!)
hexinverter
ericD13 wrote:
I believe that 87% said they cared to get a quantizer because we always want MORE smile
If you throw a poll asking whether we prefer a quantizer, most of us already have, or (xor) a chaos function we don't have I bet that the result will be a huge yes for chaos (sounds a bit anarchist eek!)

Haha, yes, in hindsight I think I should have made a few more specific options on the poll smile
hexinverter
For anyone that is looking for a great DIY quantizer they can make, I highly recommend Ray Wilson's fantastic design!

http://musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&VPW=2550&VPH =1345
Barcode
Looks like I need to come up with $135! Nice work.
gipsycat
hexinverter wrote:
mome rath wrote:

Hi,

Can you please ask someone to make a MOTM style/ MU5 panel for the seqSQUARED? PLease!

Also, I have populated my simpleSEQ PCBs and I have powered it up...with + 13.5V and ground (a PSU I had around) nothing happens...no LEDs blinking...nothing... :-(

Any ideas what to check for? does it need cables plugged in the CV and gate out to work?
hexinverter
gipsycat wrote:
hexinverter wrote:
mome rath wrote:

Hi,

Can you please ask someone to make a MOTM style/ MU5 panel for the seqSQUARED? PLease!

Also, I have populated my simpleSEQ PCBs and I have powered it up...with + 13.5V and ground (a PSU I had around) nothing happens...no LEDs blinking...nothing... :-(

Any ideas what to check for? does it need cables plugged in the CV and gate out to work?

That would be a question for Ben I think smile

Hmm, well there are a number of things to check...first off, probe your power supply with a multimeter reading DC voltage (being extra careful of course) to see if it's actually putting out 13.5V. Sometimes when I go to use an old power supply I find out it doesn't work any longer!

If there's power there, check to make sure there are no shorts anywhere on your sympleSEQ boards.

Have you maybe installed your LEDs backwards? That could cause it to look like it is doing nothing when you're not looking at/hearing the output!

PS: Please feel free to email me so we can keep the sympleSEQ troubleshooting out of the seqSQUARED thread grin

hex (at) hexinverter.net
hexinverter
Still working on the new PCB layouts!

Hoping to get these done and the boards sent out for manufacturing before the weekend!

Paradigm X
is there a BOM yet? Just seeing what i might have in the universal kit vs just the pcbs

Cheers, Ben
thumbs up
hexinverter
Paradigm X wrote:
is there a BOM yet? Just seeing what i might have in the universal kit vs just the pcbs

Cheers, Ben
thumbs up

Hey Ben smile

Not quite yet -- most of the parts are finalized as of a couple days ago, but I have yet to make a formal BOM for people (it takes a lot of time to do that), so I am waiting until I am done the time critical stuff (PCB routing and other stuff with deadlines) first.

That being said, it is my hope to have a BOM up long before the funding campaign ends.

Loosely speaking, the universal kit contains these items which are not in the bare PCB w/ uC set:

-> All of the non electro-mechanical electronic components to build the module, including, but not limited to (this is not a complete list):

- Resistors
- Capacitors
- Resistor arrays -- some bussed network, some un-bussed, all 10p SIP (39k, 20k, 1k, 150)
- Schottky diodes (BAT85 or equivalent)
- ICs (TL074, CD40106, CD4052, LM7805. The PIC18F4420 is included in PCB set)
- Tranistors (2N3904, 2N3906)
- 20MHz crystal
- 20p .1" headers (male/female, two pairs)

...so all in all, they should be pretty easy to come by for your average synthDIY person smile
whitewulfe
I'll second the request for a MU panel ^_^
Paradigm X
hexinverter wrote:

-> All of the non electro-mechanical electronic components to build the module, including, but not limited to (this is not a complete list):

...so all in all, they should be pretty easy to come by for your average synthDIY person smile

thumbs up

aswesome man, excatly what i was after, i have 90% of that, so just the pcbs for now smile

Cheers man, Ben
hexinverter
Just about ready to send off for the final prototype boards! smile

hexinverter
Bill of Materials is up smile

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dGNMdWFsQlZDd GlydmZ3NERYR2NKYnc
boothnavy
no power header for us 15v folks?

seriously, i just don't get it
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
no power header for us 15v folks?

seriously, i just don't get it

Sorry dude :( Gotta go with the flying wires! There are so many power header formats that it's just too hard to please everyone, so I kept it simple and stuck with Eurorack (since that's what the module is being marketed as).

The Eurorack power header is however standard .1" pitch (you can just install a .1" pitch header if you like), and has graphics on the PCB to indicate which pad is +/-/GND to make it simple to adapt to whatever power requirements you have!

Someone really needs to start making little adapters for these things...are there not some around? (a quick search turned up nothing unfortunately...)

What plug format would you like to see?
whitewulfe
hexinverter wrote:
What plug format would you like to see?

I'd say an MOTM one would be nice (MTA 0.156)
Paradigm X
Look at l1s quad vca he did a very clever combo wink
hexinverter
New hardware is here finally smile

Now time to forget about eating and get crunching on the firmware!

Funding ends in 14 days and we look to be right about on target! grin
boothnavy
Does the two pcb option come with two microcontrollers, one for each board set? To make two complete seqSQUAREDs? The language in the option has it as a singular chip...
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
Does the two pcb option come with two microcontrollers, one for each board set? To make two complete seqSQUAREDs? The language in the option has it as a singular chip...

Thanks for pointing this out!!!

Oops! That would be a copy/paste mistake! They most definitely each come with a microcontroller, for two total smile

Should be fixed now.
boothnavy
Thanks.

In for that set.

Gotta have one for each of my quad simple seqs 8_)
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
Thanks.

In for that set.

Gotta have one for each of my quad simple seqs 8_)

Nice man! Great to have ya on board. Ohhh wow! That will be a super fun combo grin
hexinverter
New demo video smile

I did not have access to the good camera today, so it's very poor quality -- but you get the idea! Also, seqSQUARED is missing its front panel...I expect the front panel will probably arrive Tuesday of next week. The plan is to shoot a better quality and more informative demo video of seqSQUARED in a Eurorack synthesizer next weekend if all works as planned!
defenestration
I'm in for the full kit as of last night, need something handy to corral these symple seqs I've been building

13 hours left on the campaign, but maybe I'm the last straggler?
hexinverter
defenestration wrote:
I'm in for the full kit as of last night, need something handy to corral these symple seqs I've been building

13 hours left on the campaign, but maybe I'm the last straggler?

Very nice smile You just might be!!!
hexinverter
My laboratory is filling up with parts!!!

hexinverter
New demo video grin

mckenic
Holy shit!

NOW I understand how I would use this! eek! Took me awhile to 'get' it. I still dont think Ive got it fully so Imna have to go back and read, read, read but...

With a Rene, PP X2 & a Brains and 2 x SimpleSeq (once Ive 'got' the mods!)... this will be WICKED!!!

applause nanners
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
Holy shit!

NOW I understand how I would use this! eek! Took me awhile to 'get' it. I still dont think Ive got it fully so Imna have to go back and read, read, read but...

With a Rene, PP X2 & a Brains and 2 x SimpleSeq (once Ive 'got' the mods!)... this will be WICKED!!!

applause nanners

grin That is the plan!!!

Whenever my friend finds some time to bring his eurorack modular over, we will be testing that very combination (and I will of course make a video of it)!!!
Luka
cool project hex

much more fexible than using sequnetial swtiches like im doing in my rig
hexinverter
Luka wrote:
cool project hex

much more fexible than using sequnetial swtiches like im doing in my rig

Thanks man smile Glad you appreciate it!
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:

Well, my friend with the eurorack modular just left from testing seqSQUARED with his gear for me. He has a Rene, two Pressure Points and a Brains, just like you -- we did not unfortunately make a video, as my camera ran out of battery :( It is my girlfriend's camera which she leant to me for a few days, and I do not have the charger, so could not shoot a video seriously, i just don't get it

Anyhow, not much more I could have shown than in the demo video I just did other than the fact that it does in fact work very well. I think you are going to be very pleased with the combination and seqSQUARED!
hexinverter
UPDATE: I have just ordered the microcontrollers for seqSQUARED smile They are set to arrive on the 12th (according to Microchip). Shipments will begin shortly after that.
hexinverter
Microcontrollers are here!

Pre-ordered kits and PCBs are going to the post office today!

Pre-assembled and tested modules will begin shipping in the next few days as I assemble and test them by hand.

Expect a shipping notification today or tomorrow...

Depending what you ordered, your order might not have tracking. THIS IS PERFECTLY NORMAL! Rest assured it should arrive in due time (this varies based on your locale, of course)

If it has been longer than 35 or so days, and it has still not arrived, please contact me and I will file an insurance claim with Canada Post. It's rare, but it does happen from time to time unfortunately.

I will post updates as they happen.

hexinverter
Everyone's preordered kits and PCBs have been shipped! Yay.
hexinverter
seqSQUARED PCBs, component kits and modules are now in stock!

http://shop.hexinverter.net/category.php?id_category=7

And some pretty photos, for fun:

mckenic
Sweet!

Hope to pick this up with a few other of your offerings fairly soon!

Looks GREAT!

thumbs up
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
Sweet!

Hope to pick this up with a few other of your offerings fairly soon!

Looks GREAT!

thumbs up

Thanks man ^_^

Yeah lots in the works right now...

I've got about 3 weeks left until a crazy year of school starts, so I am basically working on projects 16+ hours a day until that happens!!! hahaha

I'm insane It's motherfucking bacon yo
mckenic
thumbs up

I have to have a proposal in to my supervisor on Monday and it goes before the university board on the 16th... so Im hoping to stock-up on projects I can get myself lost in when I need a break!

Im with you brother! It's motherfucking bacon yo
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
thumbs up

I have to have a proposal in to my supervisor on Monday and it goes before the university board on the 16th... so Im hoping to stock-up on projects I can get myself lost in when I need a break!

Im with you brother! It's motherfucking bacon yo

Haha, right on! grin
whitewulfe
I might have missed it... How readily does this work with larger jacks and 15V for us larger format guys? And did Re:Synthesis ever post a panel for these?
mckenic
Oops, yeah...

Forgot to ask...What is the main difference between the Euro & Universal kits please mate? Is it just common resistors/Caps etc. please?

The reason I ask is I most likely wouldn't have to pay import duty on something of but $110 might be over the Irish allowance limit (but you never can tell - I was HAMMERED for my $95 RCD kit!).
hexinverter
whitewulfe wrote:
I might have missed it... How readily does this work with larger jacks and 15V for us larger format guys? And did Re:Synthesis ever post a panel for these?

Ben is working on a panel, as far as I know smile He has yet to even post the page for the euro one, however. He's very busy right now with panel work, but I am sure he will get to it soon!

I am just wrapping up the assembly manual. Once that happens I suggest you take a read through the assembly guide for non-euro users.

I have made nearly every adjustment to try and make it easy and clear for non-euro folks to wire their panel from the PCBs, but, that being said you are going to be wiring what is designed to be primarily a eurorack module.

I have placed 2pin, .1" headers beside each euro jack, clearly indicating which is GND and signal, and indicated conductors on the euro-style PCB mount switches' footprints. The pots are standard pinout like any other so you can go off the PCB legend for those, no problem. The power header's +V, GND and -V are clearly labelled as such with arrows pointing at the pad to put a wire into.

In short: It is not a first timer's project, but I have put in effort to try and make it easier to understand for non-euro folks to adapt. I have written in pretty good detail how to do it in the build manual. You will have to install flying wires, and mount the board with brackets to the panel (I like to use sheet metal clamped down by pots/whatever other features installed in the panel that are convenient)

Unfortunately, hexinverter.net projects are nowhere near the volume to be able to support making multiple PCB versions of each design. It costs hundreds of dollars for each board layout just in setup fees alone...let alone having to keep them in stock! I've got to "go with the flow" and stick to favouring euro, sadly for everyone else :(

Personally I enjoy adapting boards to my format...but I have also been known to have a strange idea of what constitutes an enjoyable activity! haha

I hope that made it a little clearer smile If you keep an eye on this thread, I will be uploading a build manual soon so you can look through it.
hexinverter
mckenic wrote:
Oops, yeah...

Forgot to ask...What is the main difference between the Euro & Universal kits please mate? Is it just common resistors/Caps etc. please?

The reason I ask is I most likely wouldn't have to pay import duty on something of but $110 might be over the Irish allowance limit (but you never can tell - I was HAMMERED for my $95 RCD kit!).

The caps/etc. are all the same smile

Hehe yeah, generally things coming this way are good under $100 but anything above that gets taxed.

It usually has a LOT more to do with the carrier though. If it's a courier (ie: UPS, FedEx, etc.) you will pretty much always get slammed, no matter the value.

With Canada Post (which hands off to your nation's carrier), things are generally a lot more fair, but you never can be sure really smile

Well, this module is also being assembled by me and sold as a whole module, so every control/input/button on the panel is actually meant to be PCB mounted for euro.

If you don't use the same switches, jacks and all that that I do, you will have to run flying leads instead!

I am working on getting together a Mouser project cart to share for all of the euro-specific parts smile Stay tuned.
Etamin
Hi Stacy

Looks great It's peanut butter jelly time!

I was definitely hoping to buy a complete Euro kit, with a panel - I just sent Ben an email, as he doesn't list them on his site yet.

If he has them, my order is on it's way!

Peter
hexinverter
Etamin wrote:
Hi Stacy

Looks great It's peanut butter jelly time!

I was definitely hoping to buy a complete Euro kit, with a panel - I just sent Ben an email, as he doesn't list them on his site yet.

If he has them, my order is on it's way!

Peter

Great to have you on board Peter smile

Ben makes everything to order -- the panels are designed and I am sure he's ready to make 'em, as he just sent me 15 for the preorders! grin

He just has yet to list 'em on his site, is all smile I emailed him about this today saying he'd be getting spammed by folks if he didn't do it soon! nanners nanners
boothnavy
any word from Ben on when/if those 2MU panels he designed will be available?
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
any word from Ben on when/if those 2MU panels he designed will be available?

I do believe he is just awaiting building a module himself so he can "feel out" the controls before finalizing any designs.

EDIT: I am embarrassed to say that it is mostly my fault that this has not happened yet :( I had originally anticipated sending Ben a working prototype LONG ago in the design process, but things went pretty poorly for the first while there.

In short: I wasted two months waiting for PCB prototypes to arrive. I should have prototyped at home (and not been afraid of the crazy double layer board...I've since etched things just as complicated at home)

So, I am only now about to send out his prototype...which he will play with and flesh out a final MU design!

You have my apologies for the wait!

They definitely WILL be made though...no need to worry about that I'm sure smile

He's also extremely busy at the moment. Things have taken off with some other guys he is working with (in good ways!). I'm sure things will surface soon though! Hang tight!
JohnLRice
. . . . eek! . . . .might need to find room in the 5U system for this . . maybe . . .
whitewulfe
JohnLRice wrote:
. . . . eek! . . . .might need to find room in the 5U system for this . . maybe . . .

Just do it, they're sexy enough razz
synthnut
Hi folks!

I'm still alive, just had a brief family holiday break and doing some catching up now!

Panels for the Euro version as Stacy mentioned are ready to go as and when, plus I will add them to the website soon to make things easier.

The MU/MOTM versions are still to be done really. I will be doing versions for these formats for sure, but as Stacy mentioned, I really need to have one "in hand" so to speak before I do that.
There was some talk of me perhaps making a 5U specific board, but I would need to gauge interest in this first, otherwise it's a hand-wire exercise!
If you trawl back through this thread, there was a version I digitally mocked up by the way, but based on an earlier specification.

I don't get too much time to spend on the forum these days, so apologies for not being a bit more pro-active here!

Anyhow, hats off to Stacy for this project, which he's managed to squeeze into his very full schedule!!!

Keep wiggling...

Ben

www.resynthesis.co.uk
www.bigbluewave.co.uk
hexinverter
Manuals are now available for download!

Assembly Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_ASSEMBLYMANUAL.pdf

User Manual: http://www.hexinverter.net/public/seqSQUARED_USERMANUAL.pdf
hexinverter
I have just compiled some Mouser carts to make it easier for folks to find their own parts smile

UNIVERSAL KIT MOUSER CART: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=83e5e 80161

EURORACK KIT MOUSER CART: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=f1f62 d314d

NOTE: For eurorack kit builders, you will also require:
-- a 16 to 10 eurorack power cable (Erthenvar part number CABLE1016)
-- 14x Erthenvar 3.5mm jacks (Erthenvar part number JACK35MMV)
JohnLRice
I can confirm Ben does very excellent work!! we're not worthy He built my single MU sympleSEQ! thumbs up
hexinverter
JohnLRice wrote:
I can confirm Ben does very excellent work!! we're not worthy He built my single MU sympleSEQ! thumbs up

Why yes, yes he does! Very fairly priced as well. No short amount of praise for Ben's work smile
CLee
Very interesting project. Is this something you plan on keeping in stock at your web site (board and PIC), or is this a run that once sold out, it's gone?
hexinverter
CLee wrote:
Very interesting project. Is this something you plan on keeping in stock at your web site (board and PIC), or is this a run that once sold out, it's gone?

Thanks for your interest smile

Well, I plan to keep everything in stock indefinitely, however, sometimes interest dies down and it's not possible for me to keep ordering more.

I am very, very low volume (and thus, very low cash flow...hehe) so, if something isn't selling commonly enough, it's very hard for me to make a large board order of stock.

I think I should have enough seqSQUARED PCBs + uCs for the next couple of months at least, though!
hexinverter
Put a whole module together today!
mono-poly
love
defenestration
got mine today, perfect timing, was able to get on the build right away

very nice, very high quality kit, build was a breeze with all the board mounted components + LED standoffs. Pads were nice and big which worked out nicely for me as the main solder I have left at the moment is some .062 I mainly use for soldering cables
hexinverter
defenestration wrote:
got mine today, perfect timing, was able to get on the build right away

very nice, very high quality kit, build was a breeze with all the board mounted components + LED standoffs. Pads were nice and big which worked out nicely for me as the main solder I have left at the moment is some .062 I mainly use for soldering cables

YAY! Thank you for posting, and thank you for sharing your experiences.

You are the first kit builder to report back on your success. I am thoroughly pleased to hear it worked out good. I am always SO nervous when I first send things out! nanners nanners nanners
defenestration
had some fun getting weird with this last night, found out that it'll sync up to a bit past 5khz

I sequenced four different oscillators using two different 8 step sequences, then I took the outputs of the oscillators and ran them into separate SeqSquared channels

I then used another LFO/osc to clock the SeqSquared, then took the CV out from SeqSquared and ran it into an enveloped VCA

fun to be had all the way from subaudio to 5khz! I also began sequencing the clocking LFO/osc

and then this switch is programmable... I didn't even get around to automating chaos or division! (and on top of this I was only using it as a 'mono' switch)

also, I don't totally understand why it's called 'divide'? seems more like it should be called 'steps'?
hexinverter
defenestration wrote:
had some fun getting weird with this last night, found out that it'll sync up to a bit past 5khz

I sequenced four different oscillators using two different 8 step sequences, then I took the outputs of the oscillators and ran them into separate SeqSquared channels

I then used another LFO/osc to clock the SeqSquared, then took the CV out from SeqSquared and ran it into an enveloped VCA

fun to be had all the way from subaudio to 5khz! I also began sequencing the clocking LFO/osc

and then this switch is programmable... I didn't even get around to automating chaos or division! (and on top of this I was only using it as a 'mono' switch)

also, I don't totally understand why it's called 'divide'? seems more like it should be called 'steps'?

Haha, right on!!!

Well, it's called "divide" because it is mimicking a "clock divider", so I called it "divide"

I guess it could be called "steps" too though...one day, when I can afford to have beta testers, I will name things better and polish things up a little more applause
spotta
My Kit's just arrived thumbs up

Might have to throw a sickie tomorrow to get it built!!
hexinverter
spotta wrote:
My Kit's just arrived thumbs up

Might have to through a sickie tomorrow to get it built!!

It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
mOBiTh
mine too - that was approximately 2 months quicker than last time wink

It's motherfucking bacon yo
hexinverter
mOBiTh wrote:

Well that's good grin Maybe Canada Post has hired better foot soldiers...haha
mOBiTh
hexinverter wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

Well that's good grin Maybe Canada Post has hired better foot soldiers...haha

i'm guessing this one came via aeroplane rather than disorientated carrier pigeon... hihi
spotta
Hi Hex

Finished the build and just carried out your power up test with no IC's installed.
I get the correct voltage at every single point apart from Pin 14 of IC7 which gives me 5V and not +V supply voltage.

What have I managed to do wrong?! help
hexinverter
spotta wrote:
Hi Hex

Finished the build and just carried out your power up test with no IC's installed.
I get the correct voltage at every single point apart from Pin 14 of IC7 which gives me 5V and not +V supply voltage.

What have I managed to do wrong?! help

Ahhh! That would be my fault :( I've corrected the build manual now, but, that pin SHOULD be +5V. All is fine! Sorry about that. Totally forgot I had the 40106 running off 5V when I was writing the build manual...silly me! Dead Banana
spotta
Wish you could fix all my woes so quickly! thumbs up
spotta
anybody else having issues with the slots lining up with the strips in their Doepfer cases?
hexinverter
spotta wrote:
anybody else having issues with the slots lining up with the strips in their Doepfer cases?

Dead Banana Oh no!!!

Ben puts a lot of work into making his panels match a wide variety of cases (I've spoken to him in decent detail about these things before). I really hope this isn't a mistake!

So, like, the screw holes are not mounting up vertically?

Can you take a photo?
spotta
The two LH slots are perfect, the two RH ones seem in the wrong place.
I can move the panel slightly to get a screw in all 4 but then another module cannot be butted up tight to it on either side...

no batteries for good camera, trying on phone, but not really working...
hexinverter
spotta wrote:
The two LH slots are perfect, the two RH ones seem in the wrong place.
I can move the panel slightly to get a screw in all 4 but then another module cannot be butted up tight to it on either side...

Hmm, that's a bummer :( I know for a fact that Ben puts a lot of effort into trying to make things fit for everything, but maybe he was off on the punch a bit?

Now if eurorack case manufacturers could just start standardizing stuff instead of everyone just making their own style >_>

Well sorry for the poopy fit! If anyone else encounters horizontal struggles with their panels let me know. I will report this to Ben either way.

You can correct this problem fairly easily with a round file. Head down to the hardware store and look for "jeweller's files" or some such. They are miniature sized metal files. You want a round file that is near the size of the hole in the panel. It should only be a few dollars. Once you have that, it's just a matter of running it along the edge you need to extend in the oval-shaped panel hole a few times. The panel is aluminium so it will file VERY easily.

Here's what a round file looks like. They are also called "rat tail" files:

spotta
the center of both RH slots is right inbetween 2 holes in the strip, LH is perfect and the hole is exactly in the middle of it.

hexinverter
spotta wrote:
the center of both RH slots is right inbetween 2 holes in the strip, LH is perfect and the hole is exactly in the middle of it.

Hmph, interesting...I will forward this to Ben. Thanks for bringing this up, and sorry about the non-perfect fit! Ideally I would like to have a bunch of cases here to test fit things whenever a module is made, but as I am sure you know, cases = $$$...no way I could afford that right now :(
spotta
Standard doepfer case. think the punch must have been a bit off.
No problem Stacy

Shit happens oops
boothnavy
Any word from Ben on a 5U panel?

Ben, any word from you on 5U panel?
emdot_ambient
PCB arrived the other day thumbs up
hexinverter
boothnavy wrote:
Any word from Ben on a 5U panel?

Ben, any word from you on 5U panel?

I don't really have anything to contribute other than to say that I'm sure he has not forgotten about it smile He's had a lot of work slagged on him lately woah
synthnut
Hi Folks,

Just returned from Shambala Festival ( w00t ) so sorry for the delayed reply:

Looks like I didn't notice the slipped hole location on the initial template somehow. very frustrating
They worked fine on the rack I had here, but I only had an third party one and looking again, yes, it should be 2mm to the right.
If anyone has one that doesn't fit and doesn't want to file out a mm or so I will of course make them a revised panel no problem!

So, yes, I do always try and fit things in racks, just this time the test rack was no help... d'oh!

TTFN,
Ben
spotta
Hi Ben

If its not too much bother then I would certainly go for a panel that didn't need to be filed out.
However I also appreciate that everyone such as yourself that helps the DIY scene doesn't make a fortune from it and if you all stopped doing it how hard it would be for people like me to come up with such professional looking panels so please let me know if I can pay for the postage and also give you a drink out of it for your effort.

Hope Shambala was good, a mate of mine was playing in the UFO structure, looked mad.
synthnut
Hi,

Yes, it's true, I'm not driving a luxury car and I'm catching up on emails at half past midnight...
Shambala was great, even the weather wasn't too much of a washout!
Didn't manage to catch anything in the UFO, so I missed out on that. family

I'd be only too happy to send out a revised panel to anyone with a problematic one for the cost of the postage. Drop me a pm with your details and I'll run some extra in the next 10 days or so.

I've not forgotten about the MU format panel! The issue is more one of if people want to hand-wire it all or if there'e enough interest to warrant a format specific pcb? I can't get involved in building finished ones currently though as I simply don't have the time to do the wiring.
If anyone wants MU right panels now, let me know and we can thrash out a layout that is acceptable (though look back in this thread to see where got to) as I'll do them at the standard 2MU cost

I've been a touch pushed recently due to a number of overly complicated projects lost so the design end of things has suffered somewhat. The order book is pretty full, so I can't grumble, I just need an willing accomplice methinks! hmmm.....

TTFN,
Ben

www.bigbluewave.co.uk
www.resynthesis.co.uk
janvanvolt
Two questions: Built was successful,
1)however i am have a steady illuminated PLED1.
Any idea on which section i should check ?
For me it looks like a solder short somewhere.

2) source selection knob. complete turned CCW it's selected D, CW it's A.
is that supposed to be correct ? i would expect in A on CCW, D on CW.

Besides that: Was a nice 2 1/2 hour build, really enjoyed it.
hexinverter
janvanvolt wrote:
Two questions: Built was successful,
1)however i am have a steady illuminated PLED1.
Any idea on which section i should check ?
For me it looks like a solder short somewhere.

2) source selection knob. complete turned CCW it's selected D, CW it's A.
is that supposed to be correct ? i would expect in A on CCW, D on CW.

Besides that: Was a nice 2 1/2 hour build, really enjoyed it.

Heya! Right on, glad to hear it went mostly well smile

In answer to your queries:

1.) Trace back to pin 26 of the PIC. This is the pin which drives PLED1 from the microcontroller. It goes from pin 26 of the PIC -> pin 16 of H2 -> control board -> PLED1 -> pin 6 of RA9. If you can pinpoint where the signal becomes +V, you can determine where the short is, most likely smile

2.) Is it a eurorack or universal build? If eurorack, this is correct. It was originally the reverse of that when I was developing it, but it felt very strange for the cursor not to "follow" your rotational movement...so this actually felt better than the other way.

If you made your own panel though, you may need to reverse the leads to get it to go the other way smile
janvanvolt
Hum. I can't find any fault or solder bridge. Any idea ? How can i check it's not the PIC giving a steady signal ?
hexinverter
janvanvolt wrote:
Hum. I can't find any fault or solder bridge. Any idea ? How can i check it's not the PIC giving a steady signal ?

Hmph...darn.

Well, you have the PIC socketed, yes? If you were to remove the PIC from the socket, and gently bend pin 26 outwards, you could insert the PIC back in the socket (having removed pin 26's connection to the PCB) and then, you can simply hook up a multimeter to find out smile

A ~5V signal at pin 26 would turn the LED on.

But, wait...hang on a second --

Have you tried programming a different pattern into it? The startup pattern is:

A, A, A, A, A, A, A, A

...in other words, PLED1 (the Source A indicator) will remain lit while in the startup mode until you program something else in, and advance a step.
janvanvolt
Yeah. You're right with the Sequence. I also found at least one "contributing" issue - the green button wasn't working as i mounted it like it's continous pressed. Fixing that i got the edit/non edit mode and there goes PLED1 dark (if i program the sequence).

I think the manual section should be added "upon first power up with the PIC, the PLED1 might be continously lit until you change it to a different pattern"

That might clear some confusion :-) Module is absolutely working fine now. Thanks!
hexinverter
janvanvolt wrote:
Yeah. You're right with the Sequence. I also found at least one "contributing" issue - the green button wasn't working as i mounted it like it's continous pressed. Fixing that i got the edit/non edit mode and there goes PLED1 dark (if i program the sequence).

I think the manual section should be added "upon first power up with the PIC, the PLED1 might be continously lit until you change it to a different pattern"

That might clear some confusion :-) Module is absolutely working fine now. Thanks!

Ahh, right on! Glad to hear it worked out thumbs up

Mmm...yes. It might be a good idea to add something about that! Thanks for that suggestion.

Have fun!!! nanners
rosch
received mine today! thanks hex,
anyone need just the control surface pcb?
cos i don't, i wasn't aware of it smile
hexinverter
rosch wrote:
received mine today! thanks hex,
anyone need just the control surface pcb?
cos i don't, i wasn't aware of it smile

You're welcome This is fun!

There is active circuitry on the control surface PCB! Even if you are not building euro it is necessary to complete the build...well, unless you want to put the LED resistors and pot/switch caps on the panel.
rosch
oh i see, there's even a bunch of resistor networks on there. would be foolish to wire all that separately smile
hexinverter
rosch wrote:
oh i see, there's even a bunch of resistor networks on there. would be foolish to wire all that separately smile

Indeed sir smile
hexinverter
Look what popped up on the Re:Synthesis panel order page smile Looks like Ben finally fleshed out an MU panel layout! Woot!

whitewulfe
hexinverter wrote:
Look what popped up on the Re:Synthesis panel order page smile Looks like Ben finally fleshed out an MU panel layout! Woot!

By the gods, that is sexy. I have this feeling I'm going to have to save up two cheques with my initial order to him SlayerBadger! hihi SlayerBadger! .. ^_^

On another note, any word on when more of the SEQsquared PCBs will be available? screaming goo yo
EMwhite
I bought one!!

I was all set to buy the Euro version of seqSquared panel from Ben, then that popped up on his site. Being primarily MU, I had to buy it. Very nice looking panel though I'm sure I'll pay the price of the aesthetic by having to panel wire everything to connectors!

Ordered a good week ago; hoping to have it by mid-December so I can make a nice holiday project out of it.
hexinverter
whitewulfe wrote:
By the gods, that is sexy. I have this feeling I'm going to have to save up two cheques with my initial order to him SlayerBadger! hihi SlayerBadger! .. ^_^

On another note, any word on when more of the SEQsquared PCBs will be available? screaming goo yo

It is pretty sexy yup This is fun!

Everything is pretty much at a standstill for me right now due to finances...I'm waiting on a big panel order from Ben before I can open up sales for sympleSEQ v2.0. All of my cash is invested in that project, so I have to wait until I can order any more PCBs (seqSQUARED, vcNOIZ, etc...)

So, probably about a month or so until I have more stock!
whitewulfe
hexinverter wrote:
It is pretty sexy yup This is fun!

Everything is pretty much at a standstill for me right now due to finances...I'm waiting on a big panel order from Ben before I can open up sales for sympleSEQ v2.0. All of my cash is invested in that project, so I have to wait until I can order any more PCBs (seqSQUARED, vcNOIZ, etc...)

In all honesty, I'm debating whether my orders to mouser or Ben will be more expensive in the long rum (well, at least the next several months!) - he's got a number of pretty good panels, and reasonable rates on custom work!

And no worries on the time frame, thought I'd ask so I could have a general idea on when to have some money sitting around to pick them up the instant they come out ^_^

What kind of changes do you have planned for v2? Oh, wait, that's sympleSEQ v2, I already have four of those ^_^;;;
spotta
synthnut wrote:
I'd be only too happy to send out a revised panel to anyone with a problematic one for the cost of the postage. Drop me a pm with your details and I'll run some extra in the next 10 days or so.

Hi Ben

I've just ordered a couple of Liquid high hat and a Nein oh nein panel from your webshop.
Any chance you could add the replacement SeqSquared panel in the box as well?

thanks.
hexinverter
spotta wrote:
synthnut wrote:

Hi Ben

I've just ordered a couple of Liquid high hat and a Nein oh nein panel from your webshop.
Any chance you could add the replacement SeqSquared panel in the box as well?

thanks.

It's probably a good idea to email him directly just in case you have not already! This is fun!
whitewulfe
hexinverter wrote:

Nautrally I have to gently ask.... Will the SEQsquared be on the next run of PCBs that you sent out? ^_^
hexinverter
whitewulfe wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

Nautrally I have to gently ask.... Will the SEQsquared be on the next run of PCBs that you sent out? ^_^

It most certainly will be grin applause
whitewulfe
hexinverter wrote:
It most certainly will be grin applause

Woooohooo... Now to just figure out whether I'll want one or two razz
fonik
anybody built this with standard low current LEDs? i wonder what values i would need for RA9 & RA10 on the controller board.

what are the voltages i have to convert to current? knowing the voltages would help me to select the right resistor arrays according to the LED's i use.

PS i don't like superbright, just because the light emitting angle is not as good as for standard LED (at least for the ones my daily supplier carries)
hexinverter
fonik wrote:
anybody built this with standard low current LEDs? i wonder what values i would need for RA9 & RA10 on the controller board.

what are the voltages i have to convert to current? knowing the voltages would help me to select the right resistor arrays according to the LED's i use.

PS i don't like superbright, just because the light emitting angle is not as good as for standard LED (at least for the ones my daily supplier carries)

Hey Fonik!

All of the LEDs are being driven directly by the microcontroller pins, so, the voltage would be 5V!

I don't bother with calculations for things like LED brightness. I use a pot and do it by eye, then measure the pot value. You can balance the current amongst all of them, but every LED colour type has a different lumen/current ratio (white LEDs, for example, produce more actual brightness per unit of current due to the higher colour temperature) so it doesn't really make sense to balance current if you ask me!

But, that's just my $.02

Hope that helps smile Have fun with your build man!!!

--Stacy
fonik
hexinverter wrote:
fonik wrote:

Hey Fonik!

All of the LEDs are being driven directly by the microcontroller pins, so, the voltage would be 5V!

yes, should have looked more closely.

Quote:
You can balance the current amongst all of them, but every LED colour type has a different lumen/current ratio (white LEDs, for example, produce more actual brightness per unit of current due to the higher colour temperature) so it doesn't really make sense to balance current if you ask me!

that is all covered by the datasheets.
however, i will be using only one color of LEDs, so i don't have to cope with this anyways...
hexinverter
fonik wrote:
hexinverter wrote:
fonik wrote:

Hey Fonik!

yes, should have looked more closely.

Quote:
You can balance the current amongst all of them, but every LED colour type has a different lumen/current ratio (white LEDs, for example, produce more actual brightness per unit of current due to the higher colour temperature) so it doesn't really make sense to balance current if you ask me!

that is all covered by the datasheets.
however, i will be using only one color of LEDs, so i don't have to cope with this anyways...

Oh, perfect then smile Well have fun building man!!! This is fun!
fonik
done.
now i have to RTFM!

seqSquared 01 by fonitronik, on Flickr
hexinverter
fonik wrote:
done.
now i have to RTFM!

seqSquared 01 by fonitronik, on Flickr

Very well done sir!!! thumbs up
rosch
Fuck! hihi What an awesome module! I've built it ages ago, just checked that it ran but never tried it due to RTFM laziness and not enough power. Then some day I added Eatyourguitar's audio switch modification, never tested it still. Now I have rtfm and damn this is cool stuff, Hex.
I still haven't tried to switch audio through it, just played a bit last night. That's what comes out after only trying how it actually works, fun!

Clicky:

qfactor
As I understand, this kit has been discontinued. So is there a VC Switch equivalent module/kit around these days? seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 10