MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STG Time Modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author STG Time Modules
Synth Con Meo
suitandtieguy wrote:
hey guys, flattered by this old thread.

these modules were quite advanced ten years ago and I desperately want to revise them for the third decade of the 21st century.

basically I've had to do a whole bunch of engineering reorganisation within what I'm doing and basically I have parallel development paths moving forward now. my goal with the sequencers is to revise them after the power supplies and Time Buffer revision are done. this is completely independent of some other things going on now.

there were decisions i made 11 years ago which made sense then but which i want to revisit. unfortunately it won't happen tomorrow, but hopefully this year.

one thing which will never be a part of any future development is a giant array of toggle switches. i fucking hate these things so much and i can't deal with more than one on a module.

right now my focus is on VCOs and power supplies. i need to get to a complete system and then i can start focusing on improving these other elements.

also, it's not that i'm too busy to deliver, it's more a matter of current demand vs internal stock of manufacturing inputs. i currently have ZERO front panels for Voltage Mini-Stores in stock, and less than 20 mainboards for _any_ sequencer (all four share the same mainboard.)

the absolute minimum order i would need to build more Voltage Mini-Stores in the immediate near future is 20, and Noisebug is not able to carry that. it's not a knock, it's just the reality. this stuff may move enough to have kept me alive for the past 3 years but the numbers are pretty bad compared to eurorack.

hopefully the VCO and Radiophonic One will going to change my situation enough that i can fix all of these problems.

i've been at this since 2005 and i still don't have hot water in my studio. pray for me.

Thank you for the response to this thread. Me being fairly noobish to Synthesizers and especially modular/5U I've been learning a lot (or at least trying too) and expanding my system. It's only been in the last couple months that I've been adding more modules to my system. I've added your EG and Sidecar, Wavefolder and Active multiples among other makers modules.

I can understand you wanting to revamp the modules but so far from what I've seen/read/heard that there really haven't been any real complaints about the current design and how well they work. Again that doesn't mean there aren't improvements/changes to be had. I will more than likely order a whole suite setup from Noisebug in the not so distant future.

Thank you again.
JohnLRice
Synth Con Meo wrote:
I can understand you wanting to revamp the modules but so far from what I've seen/read/heard that there really haven't been any real complaints about the current design and how well they work. Again that doesn't mean there aren't improvements/changes to be had.
One of the main changes he's been making is to redesign them to fit into shallower cases. In the early days of the 5U renaissance most 5U designers weren't worried about module depth and PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) were mounted perpendicular to the panel so many modules ended up needing 4 to 7 inches of case depth or more! eek! As people started to take modules to live gigs more and more people wanted shallower modules to fit into shallower cases so that they were lighter/more portable.
Synth Con Meo
[quote="JohnLRice]One of the main changes he's been making is to redesign them to fit into shallower cases. In the early days of the 5U renaissance most 5U designers weren't worried about module depth and PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) were mounted perpendicular to the panel so many modules ended up needing 4 to 7 inches of case depth or more! eek! As people started to take modules to live gigs more and more people wanted shallower modules to fit into shallower cases so that they were lighter/more portable.[/quote]

That's a good point I didn't really think of. That does make sense. That and like he mentioned he isn't too thrilled with using toggle switches.
kindredlost
Too be honest, I'm kind of on the fence about the toggle switch thing too.

On the Trigger Mini Store it is a quick way to do things but not easy to see the state of the switch at a glance (for me anyway). An illuminated push button for each step would be better but then again I'm no designer.

I like the toggle setup on the old Moon 563 Trigger Sequencer because it has related LED's. The downside is the enormous real estate, but heck - this IS 5U format after all. lol

The time toggle on the VMS is okay because a push button with multiple presses is a little less useful for the function it does in that case. Like on the Envelope Generators & Digital Attenuators which usually would not be used "on the fly" so much. Those are choices between modes more than time controllers.

Something in common about successful vendors is that they design modules for their own use. It's to my advantage because I like Eric's style of music and what he brings to the market.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3