MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Another possible supplier of 16mm pots in the UK
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Another possible supplier of 16mm pots in the UK
Synthbuilder
I've not come across this one before but Doctor Tweek looks very useful for 16mm Alpha pots.

Tony
ultrashock
and for Red electrolytic capacitors as well - to match your Ferrari smile
Paradigm X
Some nice knobs too.

I bought a load of cheap ones, but they really do look awful, which is why ive not posted my finished filtrex.

I know it shouldnt matter how things look, but still....

cheers
mumblinstevedubya
Greetings!

Looks like another good UK source.

I was going to ask about the Rapid pots part no.65-0725
In your parts guide these are quoted as Alpha pots but on Rapid's website they are TruOhm. Are these the same?

Thanks

Steve
Synthbuilder
mumblinstevedubya wrote:
In your parts guide these are quoted as Alpha pots but on Rapid's website they are TruOhm. Are these the same?

Yep. I have no idea why Rapid change the names of their far eastern parts. Their Switchcraft 112 socket clones are made by Lih Sheng for example. Maybe it's the importer.

Tony
Chopper28
I've used Dr Tweak a couple of times since seeing this post, Rapid were out of stock. Great service both times. The second time, he was out of stock too, and I got an immediate offer of refund, but waited. Got several emails letting me know of progress.

He sells pots with a plastic sleeve, for added protection, for just a few pence more than the usual ones. These won't fit the Oakley pot brackets, they're slightly too big, but the sleeves can be removed easily. And the shafts are a couple of mm shorter than Rapid's. Anyhow - highly recommended.

Malcolm
frequencycentral
Why are you guys not using Tayda? Great prices. They may be in Thailand, but they ship fast.
j_davis63
Hi all,

I've got an Oakley Modular Systems synth open on our work bench. It was dropped face first, damaging a significant number of pots. The PCBs seem fine though, so I think whoever dropped it got away with it...

I'm weighing up whether to get a load of Vishay Spectrol replacements (direct replacements for what's on all the boards) or some cheap alternatives such as those offered by Tayda etc. The values will be the same and by the sounds of what people are posting here, they'll fit in the metal housings on the Oakley boards once the dust covers are removed.

What are people's thoughts on what to buy? We're not opposed to spending the money and getting direct replacements from CPC, but savings are savings, right!?

Any thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jackson
magman
I think you'll find that the Alpha pots mentioned in this thread have a different pin pitch on the existing PCB's. Spectrol pot's are normally 0.1" pitch, whereas the Alpha's are 0.2" pitch. You may end up with a bit of a kludge and spend a lot of time trying to get Alpha pots to replace Spectols.

I have used a lot of the BI-tech pots from Rapid with my 5U builds, like these:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/0-25W-12-7mm-Rotary-p otentiometers-82067

Quite a bit cheaper than the Spectrol or Vishay equivalents. They used to have an issue with "Dead spots" at he end of their travel, but I have not noticed this on some more recent versions I have bought.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Magman
Synthbuilder
Magman's words are wise. Go with the BI pots. Using Alphas on the older boards will be a right pain. The alpha pots are bigger, they use different brackets and the lead out is a different size.

Tony
j_davis63
Thanks for your help on that one, Magman and Tony! Saved me a painful mistake by the sounds of it.

The boss was happy to go with the originals when given the choice of those or the BI-tech ones. We've got an account with CPC who distribute the Vishay pots in the UK, and order with them regularly. They should arrive tomorrow morning, so I'm in the process of removing the old ones and cleaning up after myself.

This repair, and this forum have got me really excited about building my own synth, so I look forward to tapping in to you guys' knowledge for my own project soon!

Thanks again!
catchpenny
great site, thanks for the link.
neilbaldwin
Mike, did you use these on your SWAMP?

magman wrote:
I think you'll find that the Alpha pots mentioned in this thread have a different pin pitch on the existing PCB's. Spectrol pot's are normally 0.1" pitch, whereas the Alpha's are 0.2" pitch. You may end up with a bit of a kludge and spend a lot of time trying to get Alpha pots to replace Spectols.

I have used a lot of the BI-tech pots from Rapid with my 5U builds, like these:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/0-25W-12-7mm-Rotary-p otentiometers-82067

Quite a bit cheaper than the Spectrol or Vishay equivalents. They used to have an issue with "Dead spots" at he end of their travel, but I have not noticed this on some more recent versions I have bought.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Magman
magman
Yes, these are the pots I used on my SWAMP build.

The pots were an easy fit for the sequencer boards, as the pads for the pots can take 0.1" pitch that the BI Tech pots as well as 0.2" for Alpha pots.

For the remaining pots on the SWAMP panel, I also used BI Tech pots but also used Pot Chicklets. The ones I used came from Krisp1, but you can also get them from John Lofflink, here:

http://www.wavemakers-synth.com/motm/chiclets.html

Hope that helps.

Regards

Magman
neilbaldwin
Excellent, thank you!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1