MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fizmo?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author fizmo?
freeyerheel
im wondering what the general consensus is on this synth, and what a fair price for one would be? would it be worth trading a nord rack for + or - cash?
Revok
Listen to as many demos as this thing as you can and decide if you want that sound. I have one I got for $350 and thought 350-450 would be a decent price but only if you want that Fizmo sound!

This fucker is a weird one and there's nothing really like it.

Unfortunately I left mine at my parents house and it was mistaken as a part of an organ I had been fiddling with and was thrown out. Still really sad about that.
Starrefision
do it!
you can always get another nord.

i have the fizmo and a nord rack 2x,
if my house was burning down i know which one i'd save.

fizmo's are getting pricey btw.
freeyerheel
yeah ive been checking out demos and mp3 on a few sites and your right about it being strange. im thinking it would be great for making drones and background noise, the nord i have hardly gets used and the guy who has the fiz would pair it with his nord electro, so im hoping we both get what we want.
Revok
freeyerheel wrote:
im thinking it would be great for making drones and background noise

It is. I don't think I've ever had more fun pressing one key and twisting one knob on anything as much as I did on the fizmo.
freeyerheel
how is the vocoder on it?
Revok
It's pretty good but definitely not the main draw of this synth. Probably in the same class as a MicroKorg.
scozbor
There have been a few fizmo threads here recently. Have a search! thumbs up
Starrefision
don't hesitate!
it's one of my favorite synths.
when you get it going.... you are gonna be like wtf! nanners

my nord 2x sits in box unused btw.
Just me
$600 or more is the current going price around here. Worth it to me. There maybe some other synth that can do what it does, but I don't know what it would be.
freeyerheel
thanks for all the imput once again fellow muffs! i ended up trading a nord rack and 250 bucks, but from the few knobs and presets ive gone through so far have been great wild sounds, i need to read the manual, but its alot of fun to just twist knobs- no breaking up or crackles between waves either. i think for ambient stuff and background it will really complement the modular too. ive been reading about a transformer going bad on some is this something you guys have replaced, the one i got seems to be in really good shape came in the original box with manual and seems to be pretty pristine.
freeyerheel
Quote:
when you get it going.... you are gonna be like wtf!

that pretty much sums it up!!!

i started twisting knobs and almost shat myself!
Revok
Here's a good description on spotting if yours is defective.

http://www.carbon111.com/fizmo.html

I opened mine up expecting to have to fix it but it had already been done. Hopefully you'll get lucky but if not it's easy enough.

Fully documented here:

http://www.ugoaudio.com/fizmo/regulator/english/FizmoRegulator.html
worstofthewurst
The Fizmo is an incredible piece of gear, but really frustrating if you really want to get into it. There are parameters you can't access at all from the front panel. For example, the EGs are ADSR on the front panel, but internally, they are multi-stage envelopes, and any attempt to change the envelope parameters on the front panel reverts them to ADSR. The effects processor has tons of hidden parameters too, and you can only get to these extra features in a really crappy, buggy, nearly impossible to work right OEM version of Sound Diver.

Despite its shortcomings, I'd never ever part with mine. It's priceless to me. I bought mine for embarrassingly little, but I am not surprised when I see these sell for $1000. There's nothing else like it. It's one of those garden-path synths that you can spend hours on meandering through crazy tonal variations. The arpeggiator is pretty extensive, and I use it to trigger other gear.
freeyerheel
Quote:
they are multi-stage envelopes, and any attempt to change the envelope parameters on the front panel reverts them to ADSR. The effects processor has tons of hidden parameters too, and you can only get to these extra features in a really crappy, buggy, nearly impossible to work right OEM version of Sound Diver.

so would you say not to bother with the software aspect of the synth and just enjoy it for what it has to offer from the panel? ill most likely take that approach for now or at least until i feel like digging deeper. i have heard that you can do some amazing stuff to ext signals through the effects if you know how to modulate them via the software.
freeyerheel
Quote:
Here's a good description on spotting if yours is defective.

thanks for the links, exactly what i was looking for! ill crack it open tomorrow and see if i got lucky my guess is that mine hardly ever got used at all. its pretty shiny for an older synth! he said that he hadnt heard that they had any problems associated with it so i figure it will need to have it done.
rockmanrock
If you like the sound of Transwaves then an EPS16+ or ASR10 is worth a look, no knobs but no nobbled editing either. Check out the demos here.
worstofthewurst
freeyerheel wrote:
Quote:
they are multi-stage envelopes, and any attempt to change the envelope parameters on the front panel reverts them to ADSR. The effects processor has tons of hidden parameters too, and you can only get to these extra features in a really crappy, buggy, nearly impossible to work right OEM version of Sound Diver.

so would you say not to bother with the software aspect of the synth and just enjoy it for what it has to offer from the panel? ill most likely take that approach for now or at least until i feel like digging deeper. i have heard that you can do some amazing stuff to ext signals through the effects if you know how to modulate them via the software.

I think trying to get sounddiver to work is a worthy effort, as long as you are patient and know what you're getting yourself into. There is a yahoo group that was a good resource for getting Sounddiver to work. While I don't use the software very much, it has given me a better understanding of the voice structure of the Fizmo, so I can navigate the panel and have a good idea of what's happening when I change something. You can probably do some really cool real time modulation with Sounddiver, I just haven't tried any external processing other than vocoding.
freeyerheel
Quote:
If you like the sound of Transwaves then an EPS16+ or ASR10 is worth a look, no knobs but no nobbled editing either. Check out the demos here.

yeah i just passed up an asr10 that was available for 500 bucks with all the expanders and discs galore i was really interested in the sampling that its capable of as well, but from what ive learned so far is that most ensoniqs stuff seems to be quite unique, i have an sq-80 and it has some similarities to the fizmo but they seem quite far apart in timbre especially since the fizmo has so many waves to choose from it really opens up limitless modulation just by changing the wave one by one. im still looking for an asr10 though if i can get one on partial trade for something id go for it but im sorta running outa room for synths. i need to liquidate a few items.
essex sound lab
[quote="worstofthewurst"]
freeyerheel wrote:

I think trying to get sounddiver to work is a worthy effort, as long as you are patient and know what you're getting yourself into. There is a yahoo group that was a good resource for getting Sounddiver to work. While I don't use the software very much, it has given me a better understanding of the voice structure of the Fizmo, so I can navigate the panel and have a good idea of what's happening when I change something. You can probably do some really cool real time modulation with Sounddiver, I just haven't tried any external processing other than vocoding.

I didn't realize that getting SD to run on modern hardware could even be an option. I've been on the Yahoo group for the few years that I've had a Fizmo but never really looked into the SD discussions. Thanks for the tip.
freeyerheel
i just got a regulator with the part number that is mentioned but they didnt know how many amps it was rated for is this an issue it says in the doc it should be 1.5amps

the part number on the regulator i found is: 7805CT

it has the MC letters top right of this part number, i ran it passed the diy section but i thought id ask here to and see if you guys encountered the same thing. there are some other really small numbers and letters on the reg. as well but nothing that seems to signify 1.5amps, apparently its a pretty generic part and lots of companies make a version of it. i hate to set it up and fry it.
dnigrin
Don't need SoundDiver anymore to edit the Fizmo - there's a new editor I developed called Fauxmo: https://defectiverecords.com/fauxmo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1