MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power issues with r-52
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author Power issues with r-52
sensanalog
I have a monorocket gemini with two psu's in it. My case is pretty bare right now because of some shifting I am doing. Needless to say, I have a few Harvestman modules which suck up some power, and some others which don't use a lot of power.
When I plug in the r-52, everything in that row and the row above it cuts out.
I made sure the red strip is down when plugging it in. The plug is in snug.
Sometimes it will power up, but once I plug in a patch cable, the two rows shut down.
Anyone have any thoughts?
This is my first r-series module, so any help would be great. thumbs up
goiks
unplug some other modules and see what happens, you may just proverbially speaking have 10 pounds of amps in a 5 pound sack. (do the math to see if this might be the case, eurorackdb.com ftw)

also, make sure the power cable is connected with the red stripe to -12 at the module end.
infradead
also remember when you turn on the case metasonix modules draw around some extra power fro the tube heaters. i can't recall off hand but the info is on here somewhere
slow_riot
i think someone else had a problem like this and the power cable was upside down.
sensanalog
Thanks for the help. I will try to unplug some modules when I get home and check the cable as well.
This is kind of confusing to me because I just sold about seven modules that all powered perfectly in the case. I had a bubblesound ulfo and vcob that I sold in the same row I put in the r-52 in, and I had these issues.
Should the red stripe on the back of the module face down or up?
Sorry for the noob questions.
seriously, i just don't get it
slow_riot
generally red stripe should be down. on the module PCB where the power cable connector -VE should be labelled. Make sure this gets plugged into -VE on your busboard.
zerosum
The -12v pins are on the bottom of the R52.

Where are the -12v pins on your modular systems busboard?

Double check and make sure all your modules are plugged into the busboard connector properly.

On busboards without shrouded connectors, It is easy to sometimes plug a cable in on only one side of the pins, or missing a pin, etc.
cat6batch
sensanalog wrote:
Thanks for the help. I will try to unplug some modules when I get home and check the cable as well.
This is kind of confusing to me because I just sold about seven modules that all powered perfectly in the case. I had a bubblesound ulfo and vcob that I sold in the same row I put in the r-52 in, and I had these issues.
Should the red stripe on the back of the module face down or up?
Sorry for the noob questions.
seriously, i just don't get it

Sounds to me like the cable is the wrong way around on the module, from memory my Metasonix module wasn't labeled with -12v on it, but they are protected against wrong polarity so you should be all right. Perhaps read your manual or the one on the Metasonix page.

Or send Eric an email. help
Neither
I also run into a problem where the power cable is the wrong way around on the module. The strange thing is that the person I bought R-52 said that it worked fine with him even though the other connector is the wrong way around. The mainboard connector is correct. It goes to -12 pins. But the connector that goes into the case is the wrong way around.
Here is a picture where R-52 is on the left and R-56 on the right:

What can I do?
metasonix
Neither wrote:
I also run into a problem where the power cable is the wrong way around on the module. The strange thing is that the person I bought R-52 said that it worked fine with him even though the other connector is the wrong way around. The mainboard connector is correct. It goes to -12 pins. But the connector that goes into the case is the wrong way around.

Your busboard has shrouded connectors, is that what you mean? If the key on the module's cable doesn't line up, try unplugging the cable from the module and plugging the OTHER end in to the module (keeping the -12 red stripe down). Then see if that free end will fit the shrouded connector on the busboard. If it still doesn't fit, you can always cut the shroud on the connector to pass the key with diagonal cutters. Or email me if you are stuck.
Neither
metasonix wrote:
Neither wrote:

Your busboard has shrouded connectors, is that what you mean? If the key on the module's cable doesn't line up, try unplugging the cable from the module and plugging the OTHER end in to the module (keeping the -12 red stripe down). Then see if that free end will fit the shrouded connector on the busboard. If it still doesn't fit, you can always cut the shroud on the connector to pass the key with diagonal cutters. Or email me if you are stuck.

Thanks for clearing this out. So I ended up cutting off the shroud carefully with a box cutter. Now the module is working nicely (can't comment on the sound yet because I still need an attenuator).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1