MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alesis Quadraverb Plus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Alesis Quadraverb Plus
Paranormal Patroler
aumgn wrote:
It's horribly noisy.

i have a quadraverb here thats not so bad , the big issue i find with them is the input overloads one minute and the next minute you dont have enough signal coming in.[/quote]

Is it the guitar version? Those tend to overdrive the input signal 'cause they have more gain for the guitars.
jonah
deastman wrote:
The difference between the Plus and the original is just the eprom, so you can upgrade it if you can locate a copy to burn. I do love the reverb, and the resonators are pretty cool. I have to disagree,however.... It's horribly noisy.
Oh, wow I didn't know that. Is there a good, cheap, reliable place to get the upgrade in the US?

I came across this link regarding the noise while looking for an eprom. My quadraverb doesn't seem noisy either . http://charliehall.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=project&action=displa y&thread=4712
deastman
jonah wrote:
deastman wrote:
The difference between the Plus and the original is just the eprom, so you can upgrade it if you can locate a copy to burn. I do love the reverb, and the resonators are pretty cool. I have to disagree,however.... It's horribly noisy.
Oh, wow I didn't know that. Is there a good, cheap, reliable place to get the upgrade in the US?

I came across this link regarding the noise while looking for an eprom. My quadraverb doesn't seem noisy either . http://charliehall.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=project&action=displa y&thread=4712
Waaaay back in the day, there was a music-related BBS in San Francisco, whose name I forget. The sysop had a collection of ROM images available for download. I had to go to his place for something or other, and let him make a copy of my upgraded Plus ROM. So I know that at least one copy must exist out there in the world. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone selling them at this point, but they are easy to duplicate if you have one to copy.
stk
I have an original QV, not the plus.
I love it for synth work, mine's pretty much stuck on a slightly tweaked version of the "Deep Space Eko" patch (long, deep, dark verb) or the resonator (awesome dubby vibes like the resonator plugin in Ableton).

Haven't fiddled with MIDI control much, so nothing to add there.
jonah
deastman wrote:
jonah wrote:
deastman wrote:

Waaaay back in the day, there was a music-related BBS in San Francisco, whose name I forget. The sysop had a collection of ROM images available for download. I had to go to his place for something or other, and let him make a copy of my upgraded Plus ROM. So I know that at least one copy must exist out there in the world. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone selling them at this point, but they are easy to duplicate if you have one to copy.
Haha, wow.. BBSs! That brings back memories. I think I was 11 when I last used one. Downloaded Doom and ZZT, got virus! ..Modem configuration. cry

I did find a few places selling the eprom... The only one that doesn't seem horribly overpriced or sketchy is on ebay.co.uk and I can't contact them! I asked Alesis if they'd sell me a copy or give me a download link. I'm not hopeful though.
Paranormal Patroler
Quadraverb+ on the way and I've downloaded MIDIQuest XL so I can use the editor to save me the fuss of making patches without a GUI. Let's hope it will turn out as good as I imagine it will! w00t
deastman
Let us know how it turns out. I'm curious how it will sound to an unbiased set of ears...

I don't actually think MIDIQuest is necessary for this one. I hate one-line displays, but someone always found the QV easy to program. The pressure-sensitive buttons help too.
thetwlo
wow! bought one new(about $379?), the + upgrade was like $30.

i kinda hated it but, i'm sure you can get good things out of it.
The later Ensoniq stuff was just sooooo much better, for "budget" fx.
jonah
Thanks to Reality Checkpoint's generosity I was able to get the plus EPROM at a decent price and I'm really digging the new features.

I'm bummed you can't MIDI control the start and end points of the sampler via MIDI (I was hopping it was just undocumented), but it's still cool. I'm gonna keep an eye out for another one, I think.

By the way, I love the way Alesis made the case, seriously friendly and simple to get into.
Paranormal Patroler
Got it but still haven't plugged it in. very frustrating
Klaus
Resurrection !!

So, delay tempo sync?
stk
I've got an original, love it. As mentioned, dark washy reverbs that don't even try to be realistic.

The resonator is awesome. IIRC you can't control the reso delay line times via MIDI? I might be wrong, must check.

There's some other nice stuff - stereo detune, leslie emu..

RE: tempo sync, I don't think so, I'll try to check tonight. Meanwhile, the manual: http://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/19510d5a385b3780e57d6ed a1f86b1ad/file/quadraverb_reference_manual___v1.0.pdf
tuj
one of the coolest things you can do is use the resonator and control the pitch of the six resonators by midi.

check it out:
http://www.renkucorp.com/audio/amphoteric/AM01-02.mp3
TelePet
tuj wrote:
one of the coolest things you can do is use the resonator and control the pitch of the six resonators by midi.

check it out:
http://www.renkucorp.com/audio/amphoteric/AM01-02.mp3

Whoa-- that's cool! It seems like the Quadraverb can do some of the things the Moog Midi MuRF does.
GilgaFrank
I've had my Quadraverb+ since the dawn of time. Sound quality is ok but nowhere near as good as a Lexicon. The MIDI CC's aren't as useful as you would imagine, there's a lot of "zipper noise" as you change parameters. Which is a pity as I'd love MIDI control over the ring mod. Unfortunately you hear very audible stepping as the CC values change.

Also, the unit doesn't respond to MIDI clock so you can't sync delay times to bpm. This is how I learnt that 60,000 divided by bpm gives you milliseconds per quarter note!
AlunH
GilgaFrank wrote:
I've had my Quadraverb+ since the dawn of time. Sound quality is ok but nowhere near as good as a Lexicon. The MIDI CC's aren't as useful as you would imagine, there's a lot of "zipper noise" as you change parameters. Which is a pity as I'd love MIDI control over the ring mod. Unfortunately you hear very audible stepping as the CC values change.

Also, the unit doesn't respond to MIDI clock so you can't sync delay times to bpm. This is how I learnt that 60,000 divided by bpm gives you milliseconds per quarter note!

I always kept a little scrap of paper next to mine with chart BPMs on the Left and columns with 1/4 note lengths, 1/8th note triplets etc.... laminated with cellotape!
AlunH
AlunH wrote:
GilgaFrank wrote:

I always kept a little scrap of paper next to mine with chart BPMs on the Left and columns with 1/4 note lengths, 1/8th note triplets etc.... laminated with cellotape!

I am only posting these remarks so that i can open my first thread... My Quadraverb is drawing too much current. I need some techy advice ! help
needlz
This was my first rack-mounted effects unit I purchased back when I worked at a music store giving bass lessons. I still have it and use it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2