MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author ....
Gordon Cole
Ghost
Gordon Cole
Ghost
dkcg
French connection's pretty close to what you want, no?
JohnLRice
I don't think the COTK POLYKLAVIER has everything you want, but it looks pretty damn sexy! The Agonizer!

No pricing yet that i know of . . . http://www.cluboftheknobs.com

Kent
I played that thing and it it is "The Sex"! Agony!
NV
I love the features of the COTK keyboard but knowing COTK I'm thinking it may end up around the price of the French Connection, which in my own opinion is very much overpriced.
SynthBaron
Too bad the COTK one doesn't seem to have velocity or aftertouch. cry
Randaleem
Hi Gordon,

I miss your avatar! As for the Keybd, I agree. It's something missing from our arena. A nice spec you've laid out here. What price do you figure is fair to get all this? Because IMO that's the likely reason it hasn't been done. Meeting some of your specs will be pricey, to say the least. The dual Midi/CV is no problem, I did that a couple years ago for a minimodular w/2oct Fatar that hasn't seen the light yet. Same for the pitch and mod wheels and much of the rest. But individual key aftertouch raises the bar a fair bit, wouldn't you say?

woah It's so strange the way synchonicity seems to work. Today the guy who's going to help me take pics of my new cases mentioned he had a 5 octave Fatar that he wanted to house... But I'm not sure that one would meet this requirement:
Quote:
a nice keybed that I'm going to want to play.

I did send him an email a few hours ago asking which model, but haven't heard back yet.
EDIT: tp/9-61. Still don't know if his has weighting or aftertouch. And the tp/9 series aftertouch is single output. I'm guessing you want a higher grade keyboard?

At any rate, we're soon to be housing his keyboard. I'll keep your specs in mind as we do so. We're planning a Prophet5 style walnut housing, with rails for a single flat row of shallow modules above/behind. A modular in a P5 skin. So not exactly what you're looking for. He plays standing, and says the classic vertical row of most integrated modular keysynths makes it hard to see the panel controls. I was catching up at matrixsynth today and the synchronicity thing kicked in again. There's a composite pic showing a minimoog right next to a P5. hmmm..... The model D MM was a bit too thick for what we'd been talking about, but I thought the thinner Voyager style case might suit both types of performer without raising cost or complexity too much by using the 2-3/4 deep tray from my growing selection of case components... Then since my brain is fully in case mode these days, I wondered if anyone would want a MiniMoog looking case for their modules? Then I come back here to find your message! (These universal case parts are like erector sets for synths, I tell ya!)

Kind regards, Randal
suitandtieguy
WHERE THE FUCK DID HE GET THOSE SWITCHES!?!?!?
Randaleem
Hi STG,

NKK can probably make them for you. These are close: http://www.nikkaiswitches.com/uploads/GW040427.pdf

Kind regards, Randal
Scaff
I would like to see a CV-Adder for 15V systems like the Doepfer A-185-2 for 5U systems. Hello STG where are you 8_) ??
Gordon Cole
Ghost
Gordon Cole
Ghost
suitandtieguy
Randaleem wrote:
Hi STG,

NKK can probably make them for you. These are close: http://www.nikkaiswitches.com/uploads/GW040427.pdf

Kind regards, Randal

those are illuminated, but they are paddles. they are also very small.

i haven't got to the point where i need to use illuminated switches yet, but what was shocking is that he found an illuminated slide switch with almost the same dimensions as the ones that Moog used from '68 to whenever they stopped.

the earlier systems had illuminated rockers though. thanks for pointing the NKK switches out.

i'll find a good illuminated switch sometime. quite frankly it's not a priority right now as i've got other modules and things to take care of before i do anything that needs them.
Randaleem
Gordon Cole wrote:
the cotk looks very nice, probably the closest to what I'd like. If its as expensive as the AS set though, I'll need to pass .......
Hi Gordon,

Again I ask, What's the *right price* for your spec keybd to not need to pass on getting it?

It also occurs to me on re-read that you didn't ask for individual Aftertouch. I inferred it from your "keybed I'd want to play" comment. So if common aftertouch is okay, that takes away a major portion of the price. What you've asked for is do-able. Give me a target price, please?

And if you'd *settle for a dotcom-with-PM wheels*, that's an entirely different beast from your full spec MIDI/CV/MIDI. That one can surely be made less expensively.

Kind regards, Randal
Randaleem
Hi STG,

Yeah, those I linked aren't the same. But NKK is known for that kind of neon glow illumination, so I wanted to point it out without taking the time to find an exact match. Like you, I'm pretty busy now! FWIW, NKK is a good, reliable source for this kind of item, if quality matters at all. They're willing to make what you want, being set up more than some other MFRs for variations like this. Not the cheapest, but you won't need to apologise for what you get from them. Kind regards, Randal
JohnLRice
You could harvest a small handful of them off of this old Moog panel but it would probably be a shame to do so: cry

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOOG-Modular-CP-Switch-Module-analog-synthesizer_W 0QQitemZ330335615184

ndkent
It doesn't help that to the best of my knowledge no one has manufactured a *native* CV keyboard in 25 years. Everything on the market is a MIDI mechanism with converter circuitry inside. It might have CV outs and the MIDI hidden for whatever reason but, no one has the capabilities to build one at a price that could possibly sell in quantity and no one yet has an order big enough to get a commercial OEM manufacturer to design or copy one.

Anyway given that reality (that you are buying a MIDI keyboard with a built in converter) you may want to consider the approach of getting a MIDI keyboard that you really like and customize it yourself or have someone do it. Add a CV converter that has the feature set you want. Do something with wood trim and if the components already exist you'll get exactly the feature set you want for a fair price.
Gordon Cole
Ghost
alt-mode
ndkent wrote:
It doesn't help that to the best of my knowledge no one has manufactured a *native* CV keyboard in 25 years. Everything on the market is a MIDI mechanism with converter circuitry inside. It might have CV outs and the MIDI hidden for whatever reason but, no one has the capabilities to build one at a price that could possibly sell in quantity and no one yet has an order big enough to get a commercial OEM manufacturer to design or copy one.

Umm, I believe the Analogue Systems French Connection is a native CV keyboard (witness no MIDI outputs). The keyboard mechanism is a Fatar, like most of the keyboards these days but it seems to be CV on the inside. For that matter, it looks like the Demon and Sorcerer keyboards from ASys are also CV only.
wetterberg
alt-mode wrote:
ndkent wrote:

Umm, I believe the Analogue Systems French Connection is a native CV keyboard (witness no MIDI outputs). The keyboard mechanism is a Fatar, like most of the keyboards these days but it seems to be CV on the inside. For that matter, it looks like the Demon and Sorcerer keyboards from ASys are also CV only.
the fact that they don't have a midi output doesn't mean that it isn't a key-scan->midi->cv mechanism internally wink And frankly, if it's easier and cheaper, let's just keep doing that.
alt-mode
wetterberg wrote:
the fact that they don't have a midi output doesn't mean that it isn't a key-scan->midi->cv mechanism internally wink And frankly, if it's easier and cheaper, let's just keep doing that.

I don't think you can do the ring in the French Connection with a MIDI->CV. It may be that the keyboard is done that way. I don't want to open mine up to find out. screaming goo yo
photon
Have you checked out the sMs keyboard controller project over at EM?

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=ikc&t=29746
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1