MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

May 2012 Hardware Video Synthesis Challenge!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author May 2012 Hardware Video Synthesis Challenge!
lizlarsen
It's been a while since we had our first video synthesis hardware challenge, and I think everyone had a great time so it's time to do another one!

How It Will Work: You will upload your clip to YouTube or Vimeo and post it in this thread. One submission per person (registered forum member.) Deadline for all submissions is May 31st. At that point, everyone who submitted will make 1 vote for the winner, PM'ed or e-mailed privately to me (you vote for someone other than yourself). Whoever gets the most votes, wins. In the case of a tie, we'll have a bonus round or something. Voting should be done taking into consideration the thematic criteria below.

EDIT: Submission deadline extended to June 10th, 2012

The Prize: Sandin IP Function Generator module kit or Sandin IP Differentiator module kit from LZX Industries ($99 value)

General Rules: Video recordings must be live (no editing or reprocessing). No software manipulation during or after recording. No pre-recorded content or sources. Camera feedback off of a monitor is acceptable, but otherwise no live cameras. If you don't have a video synthesizer, pure feedback pieces are accepted as long as they fit the theme. Soundtrack can be nonsynchronous or whatever desired, but won't factor into the judging criteria. Submissions can be any length up to 10 minutes. Provide full list of equipment used when making submission.

May 2012 Challenge Theme: Household objects/textures pictionary. Using synthesis and feedback methods, create a pattern or shape reminiscent of a household object or texture that is recognizable as such. Examples include lamp, comb, persian rug, curtain, chair, food items, etc. Bonus points for related animation element (for example, a lamp that turns on and off, or a toaster that produces toast.)

Submissions are open as of now! Any commenting/discussion/questions on this idea or the theme or the rules is welcomed (please), whether or not you plan to submit something.

UPDATE 6/11/2012
All entries have now been submitted, please cast your votes if you submitted a video!
hsavsynth01 by deAnimator
BRIZBOMB-120513T1737 May 2012 Hardware Video Synthesis Challenge by BRIZ
Oven Hood by numan7
Space Heat(er) by fletch
Pattern explorations by matos
Cool By The Pool by Eli
Ice cream cone by johnnywoods
MrDys
Love the theme.
lizlarsen
Quote:
Love the theme.

It's definitely going to be a challenging one! Props to Nick Bartoletti for the idea.
numan7
d'oh! ha-ha! i think i missed the first of these because i thought the phrase "hardware challenge" meant building a diy synthesizer module or the like (didn't even bother reading the thread).

anyways, this sounds like fun. i'll try to whip something up...

cheers
mckenic
Hey cool Lars!

I didnt know about the 1st one so looking thru the entries on that was really cool! From our brief discussions on here Im excited to learn more about Video Synthesis so Im watching this with great interest (so post those gear lists guys!)!

Cool idea!

I dont have any video equipment but might try something if I can - I have a webcam and a mini oscilloscope so hopefully I can come up with an interesting short clip.

thumbs up
lizlarsen
Cool, definitely don't be shy about participating! The whole intent here is to create a group activity for us all to have a good time with together. thumbs up
barto
hah! this was actually your idea from my pre-challenge thread lars! this will be a challenging one to tackle. looking forward to seeing the entries
snufkin
I loved the landscape based animations Johnny and Lars came up with a while back

hopfully they will be some groovy stuff in this one
johnnywoods
I'm planning to create a full living room set, complete with reclining chair. And a television. With an animated landscape on it.

Lars, can I borrow 27 VWGs and 15 TVFKGs?
lizlarsen
I've got 80 VWGs on my shelf right now! But they are about to leave.
Matos
More vwg's? You sly dog you. You must want my entire tax return.
Arturo00
creatorlars wrote:
I've got 80 VWGs on my shelf right now! But they are about to leave.

thumbs up
deAnimator
1st grin

video]

gear used:
vs001
ub1202
aa1366
mxo2
various cables
alexwhite
creatorlars wrote:

Submissions are open as of now! Any commenting/discussion/questions on this idea or the theme or the rules is welcomed (please), whether or not you plan to submit something.

For the record I hate the theme! But when we submit do we note the object we have attempted an impression of or do the judges have to guess?
lizlarsen
Quote:
For the record I hate the theme! But when we submit do we note the object we have attempted an impression of or do the judges have to guess?

This is maybe meant to be a lot more abstract/interpretive than I inferred in the initial post -- and remember everyone who submits is a judge (when you submit, you get 1 vote for your favorite piece other than your own.) I would say whether or not you make the object implicit is up to you -- you could refer to it in the title of your piece, or not, it's kind of whatever goes.
bitSmasher
I will offer a bonus prize of cheeseburgers, for whoever can create a cheeseburger-eqsue shaped object from analogue video synthesis 8_)

(winner must collect prize)
daverj
Can the cheeseburger be standing on end? (the virtual one, not the prize)
bitSmasher
feel free to have it your way Mr. Green
spaceship
daverj wrote:
Can the cheeseburger be standing on end? (the virtual one, not the prize)

Tilt the screen sideways problem solved
BRIZ
Dead Banana
BRIZ

Gear used:
ROLAND RE-301
MFB VD-01, MFB OSC-01, Doepfer A-106-5, A-118, A-138, A-131
Doepfer A-145, A145, A-144, A-132-4, A-138M
LZX VISIONARY Voltage Interface, Video Waveform Generator X3, Video Ramps
LZX Triple Video Processor, Triple Video Fader & Key Generator X2, Video Blending Matrix, Video Sync Generator, Color Video Encoder
Westside Welding and Machine BRIZ Multiples
Westside Welding and Machine BRIZ NAND 4X4
SHERMAN FB-1
Clarion VA700 Video Distribution Amplifier
Panasonic WV-BP332, WV-BM500
Panasonic WV-BP332, WV-5200BU
SONY PVM-1220
Ad Infinitum cables and Quantum Audio Designs cables
numan7
here's my entry:

it's supposed to be this:

this is the patch i used (6 outputs of a Video Ramps into the A/B source inputs of a TVFKG that is patched straight to a CVE... with some CV from 2 Malekko Anti-Oscillators that are being modulated by a DIN-SYNC Drumdokta patched through a Voltage Bridge to the TVKFG CV inputs causing the flickering-lines pattern at the top of the frame):

cheers
revmutt
Love the BRIZ!
BRIZ
thanks Mr.DOG!

does anyone have a guess yet for what my "Household objects/textures pictionary" entry is?
zombie
numan7
BRIZ wrote:
thanks Mr.DOG!

does anyone have a guess yet for what my "Household objects/textures pictionary" entry is?
zombie

hmmm..... a kitchen-sink garbage disposal unit perhaps?

cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3