MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

COTK Ordering
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author COTK Ordering
bwhittington
From their How to Buy page:

"To order our products please mail to
order@cluboftheknobs.com

You will receive a pro forma invoice when the modules are ready for shipping. After receiving the payment we will ship the item."

(http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/buy.html)

Does this suggest that you place an order and then pay for it when it is ready to ship? If I'm reading that right, it sounds like an awesome policy.

Also, could someone give me an idea of what kind of shipping costs they paid, and for how many modules that was?

Thanks,
Brian
JohnLRice
Hi Brian,

I've only ordered one module from them (so far! hyper ), the C1670 Ensemble Generator. (the COTK C1680 Delay I have I purchased used)

COTK charged me 25 EUROs to ship the module. Another guy i know who got the same module around the same (Dec 2008/Jan 2009) time was also charged 25 euro.

I don't think you can just order a big pile of modules without some sort of deposit/commitment but, by experiences are somewhat limited at this point. When I wrote to Kazike and asked about the Ensemble Generator he said he had them in stock (with the DotCom +-15v connector) so all it took was my agreement to buy one and they sent me the invoice and I paid it. Took around 3 weeks to get it from the time when I first emailed them. Very nice (Lisbon Spain to Tacoma WA USA)

They will also accept PayPal, at least they were at the time, so ask about that if you would prefer it to a wire transfer.

Best of luck! Please report back! hyper hyper hyper

John L Rice

bwhittington wrote:
From their How to Buy page:

"To order our products please mail to
order@cluboftheknobs.com

You will receive a pro forma invoice when the modules are ready for shipping. After receiving the payment we will ship the item."

(http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/buy.html)

Does this suggest that you place an order and then pay for it when it is ready to ship? If I'm reading that right, it sounds like an awesome policy.

Also, could someone give me an idea of what kind of shipping costs they paid, and for how many modules that was?

Thanks,
Brian
bwhittington
John, that shipping isn't too bad. I was trying to place an order for a Moon VC envelope--love that thing--through the distributer on their site, and the shipping cost to the US jumped up to something like 125-150 Euros for the one module. Eek! Probably, that was a glitch.

I was looking at the COTK website a bit more. Do I need to specify a Dotcom power connector? It looked like they had a couple of options, but the technical page was 98% pictures.

I sent them an email last night. I want to get their clock divider and an LFO or two. If they turn out to be easy to order from, they have a lot of fun modules. I'd like their delay just to have that cool big knob. love

Cheers,
Brian
alt-mode
I just picked up some used COTK modules and they came with a power distribution board to connect to a +/-15V or +/-12V power supply. It looks like the boards have additional power connector possibilities but the might need to be specially ordered.

The modules have metal casing all around them so you can't get a look at the boards without opening them up.

I might be willing to part with an LFO or two, if you are interested.

Eric
bwhittington
Wow, I guess this one goes in the "ask and ye shall receive" file. Thanks for satisfying my LFO "need," Eric!

I think I will shoot for a COTK quantizer and clock divider for my first order now . . . which probably won't be for a couple of weeks to space things out.

For informational purposes, Kazike did estimate a three week lead time and 29 Euros for shipping the two single-width modules.

Thanks again, Eric. That pretty much made my day.

Cheers,
Brian
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

For informational purposes, Kazike did estimate a three week lead time and 29 Euros for shipping the two single-width modules.

FWIW, I'd suggest that people not take the estimated delivery times particularly seriously.

Given the history of issues I'd heard about w/ COTK, I made a point of asking if the modules I wanted were in stock and what the expected delivery time would be. The email response was "yes" and "1 week". The invoice then said "2 weeks". It's now been 3 weeks, and the (pre-paid) modules haven't even been shipped yet.

So, Kazike appears to still be hit-and-miss. He promises that the shipment will go out this week (I don't even know if that would have been the case if I hadn't pinged him). But I do hope it's true.

Gordon
NV
bwhittington wrote:
John, that shipping isn't too bad. I was trying to place an order for a Moon VC envelope--love that thing--through the distributer on their site, and the shipping cost to the US jumped up to something like 125-150 Euros for the one module. Eek! Probably, that was a glitch.

That's likely a mistake, but be advised that Moon Modular does have rather high shipping rates overseas. I've heard from a couple people that placed an order for one or two modules and paid around $70 for shipping. Sort of exorbitant in my opinion but I guess it's their prerogative.
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:

I paid 57 Euro for shipping direct from Moon on my M564 sequential switch. Kind of high IMHO but Moon does use a better quality shipping service (DHL with tracking) than COTK (postal with no tracking). They both got here fine though! thumbs up

bwhittington wrote:

I was looking at the COTK website a bit more. Do I need to specify a Dotcom power connector? It looked like they had a couple of options, but the technical page was 98% pictures.

I sent them an email last night. I want to get their clock divider and an LFO or two. If they turn out to be easy to order from, they have a lot of fun modules. I'd like their delay just to have that cool big knob. love

Cheers,
Brian

I would defintely doubly make clear what you want when ordering. Kazike has been real freindly and helpful with me but English isn't his first language (and I don't speak anything else sad banana ) and the temptation is to interpret what was said instead of clarifying might lead to hassels down the road.

Have fun!!! hyper
JohnLRice
alt-mode wrote:
I just picked up some used COTK modules and they came with a power distribution board to connect to a +/-15V or +/-12V power supply. It looks like the boards have additional power connector possibilities but the might need to be specially ordered.

The modules have metal casing all around them so you can't get a look at the boards without opening them up.

I might be willing to part with an LFO or two, if you are interested.

Eric

Hi Eric,

If you (or anyone else) have other COTK (or Moon or MOS-LAB) modules that you'd consider selling, please let me . . . I mean us know! (actually, JUST LET ME KNOW!!! Mr. Green )

Thanks!
JohnLRice
alt-mode wrote:

Eric

Yeah, I pretty positive you have to order it on way or the other but they do offer the DotCom power option on most if not all modules now.

Just FYI for those who haven't seen this page:
http://www.cluboftheknobs.com/tech.htm

ooo,the COTK looks very clean inside!
JohnLRice
2012 wrote:

OT: I love your Hollow Planet peice! w00t
JohnLRice wrote:
2012 wrote:

hi,thank u,yes i like it a lot myself to,i think i got the right freqs here.
don't know how u listen but with phones u can hear all those sub freqs (if u HP have a large bandwidth) 'resonance magnetique' is another one u will like it also imo,its the same mood/freq ranges.
suitandtieguy
NV wrote:
I've heard from a couple people that placed an order for one or two modules and paid around $70 for shipping.

OK i don't feel guilty for charging Europeans 23 USD for shipping.
bwhittington
2012 wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

hi,thank u,yes i like it a lot myself to,i think i got the right freqs here.
don't know how u listen but with phones u can hear all those sub freqs (if u HP have a large bandwidth) 'resonance magnetique' is another one u will like it also imo,its the same mood/freq ranges.

Seconded.

And what a beautiful 700.

Regards,
Brian
MyPasswordIs123456
IIRC I was charged around 25-30 euro shipping to Canada for a VC Envelope from Moon Modular. Not the cheapest, but definitely superior service and packing materials.
essex sound lab
BTW, another week has gone by without any indication of the modules having been shipped. Sent Kazike another email a bit ago...hopefully will at least hear back.

Gordon
essex sound lab
Update: It's now been a month since the last email reply from Kazike.

The modules were in stock when I ordered and paid for them in May, and the invoice indicated 2 weeks to receive.

This is getting really frustrating.
bwhittington
Gordon, I am truly sorry to hear that you are still having to deal with this. Whatever the facts of this turn out to be, I think its safe to guess that your modules were not actually "in stock" as they were said to be.

Have you considered filing a credit card chargeback? Depending where you live, you may only have 60 days from the date of the cc statement the charge appears on. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't let that date slip by at this point.

Brian

essex sound lab wrote:
Update: It's now been a month since the last email reply from Kazike.

The modules were in stock when I ordered and paid for them in May, and the invoice indicated 2 weeks to receive.

This is getting really frustrating.
Ranxerox
I find this frustrating as well as I plan on making an order with COTK in the next few months and this does not inspire much confidence in them.

I can appreciate that modular synths are a cottage industry run on a largely amateur basis, but that's no bloody excuse for misinformation, disinformation, miscommunication, excommunication, or otherwise failing to communicate, dammit!!! Do they care about their customers or not?
essex sound lab
bwhittington wrote:

Have you considered filing a credit card chargeback? Depending where you live, you may only have 60 days from the date of the cc statement the charge appears on. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't let that date slip by at this point.

I have considered that, but unfortunately I do still want the modules and unless they become available used somewhere this is pretty much the only way to get them.

Of four orders placed for modular stuff from four vendors in the last couple of months, I have yet to receive ANY of it. Two orders were paid in full, another I paid a downpayment until the unit was built, and the fourth--the individual didn't want to take any money because he didn't want to feel pressured to actually build the modules.

This is all becoming rather disheartening.

Gordon
JohnLRice
essex sound lab wrote:

Of four orders placed for modular stuff from four vendors in the last couple of months, I have yet to receive ANY of it. Two orders were paid in full, another I paid a downpayment until the unit was built, and the fourth--the individual didn't want to take any money because he didn't want to feel pressured to actually build the modules.

This is all becoming rather disheartening.

Gordon

Do you mind mentioning who the different vendors are please?
bwhittington
essex sound lab wrote:

I have considered that, but unfortunately I do still want the modules and unless they become available used somewhere this is pretty much the only way to get them.

Well, I definitely feel your pain on that. I'd *love* to have a handful of COTK modules, but there is no way in hell I would place an order knowing someone is getting screwed, both as a matter of common sense and loose feelings of support for someone who could have been me.

I wonder if you could process a chargeback and then resubmit your payment to Kazike, telling him the purpose was just to reset the transaction date for the purpose of any deadline. (Boy, you'd probably need a Portuguese translator to commincate that.) On the other hand, the Plan B people seem to have requested chargebacks after many months of problems, so I may have no clue about the deadlines.

Hopefully, all is well for you in the end. Definitely keep us posted.

Brian
suitandtieguy
JohnLRice wrote:
Do you mind mentioning who the different vendors are please?

one of them was probably me, but i have good news for him as the package shipped on Friday.

i'm working really hard to get capitalised well enough to move past build-as-orders-come-in and actually *gasp* try to start maintaining inventory.

it's getting there, and i'm really sorry to have contributed to your bummed-out feelings in regards to supplying your instrument.
bwhittington
suitandtieguy wrote:

i'm working really hard to get capitalised well enough to move past build-as-orders-come-in and actually *gasp* try to start maintaining inventory.

I think about this anytime someone groans about long lead times. The builder that figures this out will win big time. In addition to loving his modules, I think this is a big part of Roger's success. The short lead times and high customer satisfaction are certainly big reasons why I went with Dotcom.

I would think that any builder with a couple of years of sales figures could reasonably predict the demand for modules in the coming year. Capitalizing the parts inventory to meet that demand is understandably not a small feat for a small builder, but doing so is probably a big step in becoming a Big Builder. woah I can't imagine that at a reputation of at least supplying modules within promised (short) lead times if not stocking a full inventory of modules wouldn't lead to a marked jump in sales.

STG has a great line of modules and a really personable CEO/builder/head janitor, not to mention a reasonable reputation already. I'm delighted to hear that you have aims in this direction, because I think it will lead you to great success.

Cheers,
Brian
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4