MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dear Hertz Donut
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Dear Hertz Donut
science
I want you. Now.
tonnu
me too
(not want you, but the donut nanners )
dkcg
LDT
Could somebody please sum up in very few words what the excitement is about? I feel a bit thickheaded about the Hertz Donut. I have read what I could, and so far I know that it is digital and (maybe) has two oscillators.
Thanks! Or maybe just ignore me. I suppose I will get it when some demos arrive.
VanEck
I would be satisfied with just a couple audio demo's already... please.

... don't make me beg.

The Harvestman nanners The Harvestman nanners The Harvestman nanners
Mr White
fuck me too.

just asked Shawn, we can grab it for sure at the end of july.

come back from Ibiza and find one in the mail!

The Harvestman Rockin' Banana!
tonnu
http://soundcloud.com/harvestman/hzdfmtest1

pretty delicious exhibit, imho
amnesia
do we know prices as yet?
just gettin back into euro
berfmurret
from what i gather it will probably be ~$400..
VanEck
Yeah, I think it was mentioned a couple weeks ago that it was going to be in the $350-$399 price range?

Pricey and all... but I think once I here some more samples of what it can do, I'll be able to justify the credit card debt more easily meh
amnesia
do we know how wide it will be ? as wide as the Plan B complax VCO or Livewire AFG?
cerebrosis
amnesia wrote:
do we know how wide it will be ? as wide as the Plan B complax VCO or Livewire AFG?

17hp if i remember correctly.
Suburban Bather
Well hey! Look at the Modcan digital oscillators. Yes, they're expensive, but features make up for the price. The Donut has less features than the Modcan digital oscillators, but its also a little cheaper as well. Should be totally worth it.
SynthBaron
WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE THIS NEAT SHIT IN A 5U FORMAT?

cry
Suburban Bather
SynthBaron wrote:

cry

Dude, get into Modcan. Or, are you just being a troll again huh?
tragedybysyntax
+1 to suburban. I'm in euro and frac... had to go modcan. Cv recorder for now but, mos def snagging those dco's in the next year! DO IT ALL! smile
Scaff
SynthBaron wrote:

cry

SynthBaron
Suburban Bather wrote:
Or, are you just being a troll again huh?

Please.

The Modcan is significantly different.
dkcg
This module....waiting for it.
Hurts dunnit? applause

I didn't know there were any samples on the web...the FM sounds really nice.
I had to cover my Zeroscillator's ears for some of those sounds. lol
Two oscillators, internal path with some very Buchla inspired buttons and switches, $400 is definitely reasonable.
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:
the FM sounds really nice.

i liked the track you put up with the Borg and ZO last week...the Donut reminds me of DX style FM from the demo (i'm really not familiar with too much Buchla besides the Subotnik tracks i've heard (and "the bongo"), curious if it can get something similar to the sounds you got, really lovely stuff...can't swing the cash right now, but let's just say i'm very interested 8_)
dkcg
ross g wrote:
dkcg wrote:
the FM sounds really nice.

i liked the track you put up with the Borg and ZO last week...the Donut reminds me of DX style FM from the demo (i'm really not familiar with too much Buchla besides the Subotnik tracks i've heard (and "the bongo"), curious if it can get something similar to the sounds you got, really lovely stuff...can't swing the cash right now, but let's just say i'm very interested 8_)

In the sample track linked above, I could hear quite a few sounds that I've only heard out of the Zero so far. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Donut, but after hearing the track, and hearing some sounds similar to those I've only heard out of the Zero so far, I'm thinking about getting two Donuts. However, the Zero has those 4 quadrature morph outputs that just scream to be used in stereo or quadraphonic.

I'm not sure if the donut can send it's modulating oscillator out separately, but I think if you had two Donuts, and inverted one of the modulating oscillators to use for the 2nd Donut, you could feel my ears into thinking I was listening to a track with a Zero in it. But the Zero has at least 6 inputs for modulation, and two for "sync", I'm not sure if time reversal counts as sync, but it sounds like a really tweaked out sync on slippery crack.

I may do a simple video this weekend of the Zero being modulated and you can see what I mean when I say the Donut reminds me a lot of some of the Zero sounds.
governor blacksnake
dkcg wrote:

I'm not sure if the donut can send it's modulating oscillator out separately, but I think if you had two Donuts, and inverted one of the modulating oscillators to use for the 2nd Donut, you could feel my ears into thinking I was listening to a track with a Zero in it.

The mod osc in the donut can be used completely independent of the primary, it's got its own set of outputs and everything. Only difference is that it does not have the waveform discontinuity/pwm function, it can be switched into LFO mode, and it can optionally be put under control of the pitch track function.

In the "good" pitch tracking mode (all LEDs on), if you disable the offset by hitting the freq range button, the mod osc output will be precisely 90 degrees out of phase with the primary. Whether or not you want to use the same waveforms for this is up to you.
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:

I may do a simple video this weekend of the Zero being modulated and you can see what I mean when I say the Donut reminds me a lot of some of the Zero sounds.

cool, i'll be sure to watch...i can't say i followed everything you described in your post, but your ZO track got me much more interested in it...problem is there is no way i can afford a ZO, and i tend to ignore modules i know i'll never own (why torture oneself?)... BUT the Donut definitely sounds like it will provide me that "something extra" my rig doesn't have...i feel i'm covered with "regular analog" oscs (VCO2RM, 2x A110, Roland System 100, Pro One), but i've been lusting for one more in the "fancy osc" category...price is right, sounds wild, and i ain't got no Harvestman yet cry

yes, we are thinking hmmm.....

funny thing: i've only purchased two items because of sound demos: the Doepfer PLL, and the Borg filter...this just may be the third w00t
dkcg
governor blacksnake wrote:

In the "good" pitch tracking mode (all LEDs on), if you disable the offset by hitting the freq range button, the mod osc output will be precisely 90 degrees out of phase with the primary. Whether or not you want to use the same waveforms for this is up to you.

Hot damn, that's cool about the 90% phase offset. The FM sounds great, Scott!!
I'm waiting with FMed bells on.
science
Suburban Bather wrote:
Well hey! Look at the Modcan digital oscillators. Yes, they're expensive, but features make up for the price. The Donut has less features than the Modcan digital oscillators, but its also a little cheaper as well. Should be totally worth it.

The digital oscillators are exactly the reason I bought a six pac recently.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9