MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Dear Hertz Donut
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Dear Hertz Donut
science
I want you. Now.
tonnu
me too
(not want you, but the donut nanners )
dkcg
LDT
Could somebody please sum up in very few words what the excitement is about? I feel a bit thickheaded about the Hertz Donut. I have read what I could, and so far I know that it is digital and (maybe) has two oscillators.
Thanks! Or maybe just ignore me. I suppose I will get it when some demos arrive.
VanEck
I would be satisfied with just a couple audio demo's already... please.

... don't make me beg.

The Harvestman nanners The Harvestman nanners The Harvestman nanners
Mr White
fuck me too.

just asked Shawn, we can grab it for sure at the end of july.

come back from Ibiza and find one in the mail!

The Harvestman Rockin' Banana!
tonnu
http://soundcloud.com/harvestman/hzdfmtest1

pretty delicious exhibit, imho
amnesia
do we know prices as yet?
just gettin back into euro
berfmurret
from what i gather it will probably be ~$400..
VanEck
Yeah, I think it was mentioned a couple weeks ago that it was going to be in the $350-$399 price range?

Pricey and all... but I think once I here some more samples of what it can do, I'll be able to justify the credit card debt more easily meh
amnesia
do we know how wide it will be ? as wide as the Plan B complax VCO or Livewire AFG?
cerebrosis
amnesia wrote:
do we know how wide it will be ? as wide as the Plan B complax VCO or Livewire AFG?

17hp if i remember correctly.
Suburban Bather
Well hey! Look at the Modcan digital oscillators. Yes, they're expensive, but features make up for the price. The Donut has less features than the Modcan digital oscillators, but its also a little cheaper as well. Should be totally worth it.
SynthBaron
WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE THIS NEAT SHIT IN A 5U FORMAT?

cry
Suburban Bather
SynthBaron wrote:

cry

Dude, get into Modcan. Or, are you just being a troll again huh?
tragedybysyntax
+1 to suburban. I'm in euro and frac... had to go modcan. Cv recorder for now but, mos def snagging those dco's in the next year! DO IT ALL! smile
Scaff
SynthBaron wrote:

cry

SynthBaron
Suburban Bather wrote:
Or, are you just being a troll again huh?

Please.

The Modcan is significantly different.
dkcg
This module....waiting for it.
Hurts dunnit? applause

I didn't know there were any samples on the web...the FM sounds really nice.
I had to cover my Zeroscillator's ears for some of those sounds. lol
Two oscillators, internal path with some very Buchla inspired buttons and switches, $400 is definitely reasonable.
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:
the FM sounds really nice.

i liked the track you put up with the Borg and ZO last week...the Donut reminds me of DX style FM from the demo (i'm really not familiar with too much Buchla besides the Subotnik tracks i've heard (and "the bongo"), curious if it can get something similar to the sounds you got, really lovely stuff...can't swing the cash right now, but let's just say i'm very interested 8_)
dkcg
ross g wrote:
dkcg wrote:
the FM sounds really nice.

i liked the track you put up with the Borg and ZO last week...the Donut reminds me of DX style FM from the demo (i'm really not familiar with too much Buchla besides the Subotnik tracks i've heard (and "the bongo"), curious if it can get something similar to the sounds you got, really lovely stuff...can't swing the cash right now, but let's just say i'm very interested 8_)

In the sample track linked above, I could hear quite a few sounds that I've only heard out of the Zero so far. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Donut, but after hearing the track, and hearing some sounds similar to those I've only heard out of the Zero so far, I'm thinking about getting two Donuts. However, the Zero has those 4 quadrature morph outputs that just scream to be used in stereo or quadraphonic.

I'm not sure if the donut can send it's modulating oscillator out separately, but I think if you had two Donuts, and inverted one of the modulating oscillators to use for the 2nd Donut, you could feel my ears into thinking I was listening to a track with a Zero in it. But the Zero has at least 6 inputs for modulation, and two for "sync", I'm not sure if time reversal counts as sync, but it sounds like a really tweaked out sync on slippery crack.

I may do a simple video this weekend of the Zero being modulated and you can see what I mean when I say the Donut reminds me a lot of some of the Zero sounds.
governor blacksnake
dkcg wrote:

I'm not sure if the donut can send it's modulating oscillator out separately, but I think if you had two Donuts, and inverted one of the modulating oscillators to use for the 2nd Donut, you could feel my ears into thinking I was listening to a track with a Zero in it.

The mod osc in the donut can be used completely independent of the primary, it's got its own set of outputs and everything. Only difference is that it does not have the waveform discontinuity/pwm function, it can be switched into LFO mode, and it can optionally be put under control of the pitch track function.

In the "good" pitch tracking mode (all LEDs on), if you disable the offset by hitting the freq range button, the mod osc output will be precisely 90 degrees out of phase with the primary. Whether or not you want to use the same waveforms for this is up to you.
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:

I may do a simple video this weekend of the Zero being modulated and you can see what I mean when I say the Donut reminds me a lot of some of the Zero sounds.

cool, i'll be sure to watch...i can't say i followed everything you described in your post, but your ZO track got me much more interested in it...problem is there is no way i can afford a ZO, and i tend to ignore modules i know i'll never own (why torture oneself?)... BUT the Donut definitely sounds like it will provide me that "something extra" my rig doesn't have...i feel i'm covered with "regular analog" oscs (VCO2RM, 2x A110, Roland System 100, Pro One), but i've been lusting for one more in the "fancy osc" category...price is right, sounds wild, and i ain't got no Harvestman yet cry

yes, we are thinking hmmm.....

funny thing: i've only purchased two items because of sound demos: the Doepfer PLL, and the Borg filter...this just may be the third w00t
dkcg
governor blacksnake wrote:

In the "good" pitch tracking mode (all LEDs on), if you disable the offset by hitting the freq range button, the mod osc output will be precisely 90 degrees out of phase with the primary. Whether or not you want to use the same waveforms for this is up to you.

Hot damn, that's cool about the 90% phase offset. The FM sounds great, Scott!!
I'm waiting with FMed bells on.
science
Suburban Bather wrote:
Well hey! Look at the Modcan digital oscillators. Yes, they're expensive, but features make up for the price. The Donut has less features than the Modcan digital oscillators, but its also a little cheaper as well. Should be totally worth it.

The digital oscillators are exactly the reason I bought a six pac recently.
cerebrosis
science wrote:

The digital oscillators are exactly the reason I bought a six pac recently.

im planning on doing that too, but instead of 1 sixpac im getting 6 and maybe
1 more for the cynthia power supply.

Dead Banana
VanEck
Alright... it is July. I want a Donut!!1

Drunken Homer Simpson The Harvestman Drunken Homer Simpson The Harvestman Drunken Homer Simpson The Harvestman Drunken Homer Simpson The Harvestman Drunken Homer Simpson The Harvestman
npho
I want the donut and the piston honda badly :(
governor blacksnake
Good news, I'm making good progress on obtaining all of the parts necessary to build these. Audio/video demos soon too.
brandon daniel
Baby, why you gotta make me so poor?
felix
brandon daniel wrote:

straight up. Then there's the Piston Honda, the next feedback console module...and that's just from Harvestman!

help
Audio Resistance
felix wrote:
brandon daniel wrote:

straight up. Then there's the Piston Honda, the next feedback console module...and that's just from Harvestman!

help

New feedback console module seriously, i just don't get it

Did I miss something?

Spill it!
citizen mori
the donut is really good, i've the luxury of visitations to scott's workshop... it has quite a good character. his best work yet without a doubt! applause
felix
Audio Resistance wrote:

Did I miss something?

Spill it!

Oops...I could have sworn I saw Scott mention it here earlier. I must be loosing it. d'oh!

I won't steal his thunder. And, what I know might not be the final thing anyway.
Mr White
Good news, I'm making good progress on obtaining all of the parts necessary to build these. Audio/video demos soon too.

we hungry people wants to chew sumtin'!!!! It's peanut butter jelly time! The Harvestman
governor blacksnake
Audio Resistance wrote:

Did I miss something?

Spill it!

Quad VCA / env follower. Homicide Censor.
Audio Resistance
Audio Resistance wrote:

Did I miss something?

Spill it!

applause

Getting closer to a straight up all Harvestman system, not that I have the fortitude to do that. Your modules are at the center of my Monster case and make their way into almost every patch I make.
apfEID
Audio Resistance wrote:

STOKED!
prscrptn
I'm still waiting for the Transcontinental Rails so I can incorporate some Harvetsman modules with the Buchla...

Rasta-nana Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
authorless
until now i wasn't interested in having a digital osc in my modular. but that is some nice FM sounds. yes please.
momo
And I have to say that is the most aptly named module - what a brilliant play on words. I listened to the sound sample on page one of this thread yesterday and really liked it. A lot. Congratulations!
brandon daniel

Awesome. I think one of these days I'll need to invest in a small 3u case to stuff these feedback console modules into and rack them up with my delay/pitch shifter rack units.
berfmurret
i am getting the feeling we are preparing for a serious release party soon, no? applause
apfEID
so, will the homicide censor have two headers on the back and snuggle in between the stilton and evin?
king fonk
Just listened to the Donut FM demo. Love it! Good work Sebastian!

Makes me seriously think about gear acquisition again. Fcuk, it seems I really have to start a VCO collection. You just can´t have enough...
400 bucks for a dual osc with thru-zero FM is pretty fair.
Looking forward to this one.
tragedybysyntax
Yeah I'm seriously considering just having a rack of JUST harvestman stuff. I have every module he's put out so far and will continue the trend....... so might as well. Now to sell some shit off so I can snag one of these Donuts....
tj

harvestman envelope follower? awesome! headbang
tragedybysyntax
Quad VCA is just what I need exactly! Been putting together this sick setup with the 606 as the focal point.... it would really help.
ex_dead_teenager
Scott I could listen to this oscillator all day.
berfmurret
w00t!!

http://www.analoguehaven.com/theharvestman/hertzdonut/
sendhelp
done and done!
D/A A/D
Audio Resistance wrote:

Did I miss something?

Spill it!

Pretty soon I will have to buy a case for all the harvestman modules I want... Maybe that is why I haven't bought any yet.

Dead Banana

A 100% havestman rack would be pretty sick.
science
hyper
tonnu
argh i'm torn between two really cool digital oscillator ... this and the cloud generator

if the cloud takes much longer, i might not be able to suppress my primal urge to click the preorder button!!!!!!!!!!
incekt
at $425 do you think the first 100 will go fast?
Leisure Cove
incekt wrote:
at $425 do you think the first 100 will go fast?

I think so. The first batch of AFGs sold out quickly, if memory serves, and I think everyone who is excited about the Harvestman stuff has been looking forward to this one in particular for a while.

The gripe for me, more so than the cost, is the odd width. 17HP is a funny amount of space to budget for. Sure, I could set aside 18HP, but then I feel like the true cost of the Hertz Donut would be $425 + whatever therapy bills I incur in trying to overcome my "single empty HP" OCD.
science
Leisure Cove wrote:
"single empty HP" OCD.

Pick up a couple 1hp blanks, and hide them at the end of a row if you need to. Works for me.

Actually, once I get the jacks I have coming from flight, I'm going to put together a couple odd HP mults for this exact reason.
attacksustain
Leisure Cove wrote:

The gripe for me, more so than the cost, is the odd width. 17HP is a funny amount of space to budget for. Sure, I could set aside 18HP, but then I feel like the true cost of the Hertz Donut would be $425 + whatever therapy bills I incur in trying to overcome my "single empty HP" OCD.

Maybe you should just buy two hertz donuts, and think of them as a single 34HP module hihi
Hi5
Leisure Cove wrote:
... trying to overcome my "single empty HP" OCD.

this is almost a godsend given that most of my diy panels do not exactly fit the standard hp sizes so I don't mind the odd size. As science said, perfect place for some mults!
VanEck
Blargh... been anticipating this module for quite some time now. But that's a lot of dough. I was thinking it'd be somewhere around the $250-$350 price range. Now I'm on the fence with this one. Might go for some of the other cheaper interesting options out there for my second Osc... perhaps the Anti-Osc or Cloud. seriously, i just don't get it

I've actually been keeping 17hp open in my rack just for this thing. It will fit perfectly on my second rack... have everything spaced just right with my other Harvestman modules so there will be no gaps 8_)

Once you go over $350, that starts to become a hard mountain to climb.
Hi5
VanEck wrote:
I was thinking it'd be somewhere around the $250-$350 price range. Now I'm on the fence with this one. Might go for some of the other cheaper interesting options out there for my second Osc... perhaps the Anti-Osc or Cloud. seriously, i just don't get it.

There was a little sticker shock when the unit posted but it is technically 2 osc in one package with quite a few features not available else where. One draw to the unit is that it will get rid of some patching with all the modulation options between the 2 halves. When you look at the fact that the Anti will get you for $250 and is really only half of the Donut and doesnt even have sync. The Cloud looks great but I am assuming the MOTM stuff will not be cheap either. At least $350 is my guess, though I am sure these will be top notch construction.
ex_dead_teenager
you all are going to love this oscillator I can't wait for the demos to start rolling in.
schism
hello,

Sorry that we couldn't make the retail price lower for this module.
We tried to price it as low as possible. Unfortunately its an expensive module for The Harvestman to make, even in quantity at the factory (though with that said 100 units isn't really a "big" quantity when considering factory pricing structure). Our margin on this module is a little less than some other Harvestman modules and right in line with others. I really didn't want to put it up at even $450 as I thought it would be detrimental to sales, on the other hand $395 was impossible to hit because it would have cut too much into our margin. So we settled on $425 for at least the first production run.

The first run is 100 units. Those modules ship with the embroidered patch. smile As of this early afternoon about 20% of them
are sold, it will probably be more towards 30% by the end of the day but after that initial rush probably things will slow down. We'll see. smile

In any case its good that these will finally be available soon! Then Scott can move on to other things such as the Polivoks oscillator and the Piston Honda. screaming goo yo

Shawn
berfmurret
it has been said from the get-go that this module would be around $400. that extra $25 made me hesitate.... for about 30 seconds.. during that time i was trying to speculate how fast someone might put one on the used market due to an impulse buy & strained funds or whatever.. i decided that extra $$ is more than worth it to me. i have been waiting toooo long for this one. how the shit am i NOT going to click that 'pre-order' button??
Hi5
schism wrote:
Sorry that we couldn't make the retail price lower for this module.

There really is no need to apologize. The price range was pretty well stated ahead of time and it is a special device. If some purely analog osc are going for the $350-$400 range the donut is not out of line. Component wise I am sure it is a bit more expensive to produce and this doesn't take into account design and programming hours. Plus as you stated, we are talking about very small runs. This isn't a behringer mixer that is produced in the thousands!
computer controlled
It is a bit steep, but when you consider your price/option ratio, it's worth it. it sounds REALLY good. I really wanted to grab one of these, but it's just too far out of my price for the time being. But i'll be moving soon, and this will force me to find a new job, with better pay =o] applause

I can't wait for all the analogue purists to hear this thing finally and be all "uhhh, that's not analogue? hmmm..... "
Cybananna
I'm ok with the price. It's 2 oscillators and can do thru-zero FM.

...and it sounds great from the demos I've heard.

screaming goo yo

I was hoping for the estimated $400, but $425 isn't missing the target by much at all. $450 would have made me think twice, but $425 is no problem. w00t

Right now, the 17HP is perfect! I have a 1hp blank resulting from my Zorlon!
attacksustain
Cybananna wrote:
I'm ok with the price. It's 2 oscillators and can do thru-zero FM.

...and it sounds great from the demos I've heard.

For reals. I think of it as a 'poor' mans buchla 261e, but $1000 cheaper. Then it doesn't seem so expensive hihi
science
I thought $425 was reasonable.

...and not to encourage a price increase, but I'd have paid more, too.

seriously, i just don't get it
emergencyofstate
science wrote:
I thought $425 was reasonable.

...and not to encourage a price increase, but I'd have paid more, too.

seriously, i just don't get it

simma down now!
Exuviae
The last two bits of info I need to justify the purchase are:

Can the modulation section be turned "off" on the Primary Osc so that both sections could be used completely independently? Or is the modulation Osc always hard-wired to the primary?

What is the current draw of the module?

The price is high, but I may still try and cough it up.
otto_tsr
aye just ordered one. going to be sweet! yarrr!

(first post, hehe).
incekt
i won't have the $ for 2 weeks, hope there are some left... i want the patch (to stitch it to my balls eek! )
Exuviae
Hi Otto - welcome!

I've seen you on the TSP forum - nice to have another TSP fan who is also a Wiggler.

thumbs up
otto_tsr
Hi Exuviae, thanks! seen you on tsp as well.

been lurking around here for a while, this is a really great please on the internet!
science
While we're talking about things costing too much, the teaspoon is a perfect example of something being way overpriced. Cool little box, but not for $400 or whatever they fetch in those auctions.
Hi5
science wrote:
While we're talking about things costing too much, the teaspoon is a perfect example of something being way overpriced. Cool little box, but not for $400 or whatever they fetch in those auctions.

well, the teaspoon and some other items like it tend to cater to a somewhat less educated audience that may think it is a lot more than it really is. a $100 more and you could get a sefari and a beauty case that is quite a bit more capable! for that kind of dough at least give it some esoteric interface so the kids have something to look at.
science
i herd it maeks u sond liek afax twins
Exuviae
koura wrote:
science wrote:

well, the teaspoon and some other items like it tend to cater to a somewhat less educated audience

Harsh. I love my teaspoonCAS easily as much as anything in my modular rig.

I guess that makes me "less educated"...wonder what it takes to become more "highly intelligent" around here?

Besides, Teaspoon prices, which people seem to "conveniently forget" have been dictated by the goddamed buyers...not by TSP.

Awsum. Fun.
Exuviae
koura wrote:
science wrote:

a $100 more and you could get a sefari and a beauty case that is quite a bit more capable!

I had a Sefari and a Wogglebug, in a Doepfer minicase and after spending equal time with both, chose to sell the Sefari and Woggle and kept the CAS.

Different strokes for less educated folks...
otto_tsr
well, i bought a teaspoon for quite a lot of money. i know i trimmed the price a lot myself on it. i had the money and i wanted it. no regrets at all. then again, the set price in the store is 375dollars now, which i think is just about right... great machine.

the sefari is also a great piece of machinery. would not compare them too much though. the serfari take things a different way once you start to put cv into the sampling frequency, great results really quick.
the teaspoon might be a little more fiddling with the cv. but when it is right. it is just right grin

i tend to use them both at the same time, hehe.
governor blacksnake
Exuviae wrote:
The last two bits of info I need to justify the purchase are:

Can the modulation section be turned "off" on the Primary Osc so that both sections could be used completely independently? Or is the modulation Osc always hard-wired to the primary?

What is the current draw of the module?

The price is high, but I may still try and cough it up.

1. It can be disabled, and work as two independent 1v/oct things (the primary has the cool waveform control though)

2. 120mA max
Mr White
wtf $425 hit me really hard.....
johnnymad
Mr White wrote:
wtf $425 hit me really hard.....

i know. all of these cool modules, and i have no money. d'oh!
blungo2
Yes, i so want to pre-order, but $425 has to wait until i pay my plastic off next week...

Oh the agony, arggghhh. very frustrating
REwire
Mine cost $487 due to 9.75% local tax + shipping (even though I could pick it up, but lazy). eek!

I have only room for one extra osc and it was this or the Anti-Osc. Fortunately, the last demo of that pushed me onto the Hertz D. Scott showed me the Hertz Donut back at 2008 NAMM and it's been a long time coming!
felix
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
chocolatyshatner
REwire wrote:

I have only room for one extra osc and it was this or the Anti-Osc. Fortunately, the last demo of that pushed me onto the Hertz D . . .

d'oh! me and my modular newb skillz! Sorry Malekko!!

I'm lusting hard for a Donut Drunken Homer Simpson . . . .mmmmmm . . .
I'll need another case first, tho...
felix
holy balls - anyone notice this new addition to the product page on theharvestman.org?

Dual digital oscillator with internal modulation bus. Voltage-controlled waveform discontinuity, internal pitch tracking with several lag settings. Dedicated square wave outputs, and a multi-purpose gate/XOR ringmod output.

The key there being the very recent addition of XOR ringmod functionality!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
governor blacksnake
felix wrote:
holy balls - anyone notice this new addition to the product page on theharvestman.org?

Dual digital oscillator with internal modulation bus. Voltage-controlled waveform discontinuity, internal pitch tracking with several lag settings. Dedicated square wave outputs, and a multi-purpose gate/XOR ringmod output.

Yeah, it does that out of the center output (only 0-5V though) if you're not in one of the dumb tracking modes.
Mr White
I definitely hate you all to push me that hard....

so tempted with this preorder, I have to bust customs another time... fuuuuuck. very frustrating
felix
felix wrote:

Yeah, it does that out of the center output (only 0-5V though) if you're not in one of the dumb tracking modes.

Awesome! That means I have yet another fun clock source! Speaking of which, does the gate signal go high while the main oscillator is still slewing (while it's tracking dumb), or does it go high once it's "settled in"?
authorless
dear credit card. i hope that didn't hurt too much. don't worry, i will pay that off when i get paid next week. yes, i know... yes, i could have waited until after i had gotten paid to buy it but what if they had sold out of them? then what would i do? oh, you think you are so much better than me? well look at you, all plastic and stationary. you sit there complacent, like some apathetic sloth, you do nothing with your time. me? i have a desire to for auditory artistic expression. ooh, good one. so what if it sounds like "atonal wank" you are just jealous because no one has ever said "hey sean, i really like your credit card." you have never understood me. i bet you never even liked me.
sandyb
lol
blungo2
authorless wrote:
dear credit card. i hope that didn't hurt too much. don't worry, i will pay that off when i get paid next week. yes, i know... yes, i could have waited until after i had gotten paid to buy it but what if they had sold out of them? then what would i do? oh, you think you are so much better than me? well look at you, all plastic and stationary. you sit there complacent, like some apathetic sloth, you do nothing with your time. me? i have a desire to for auditory artistic expression. ooh, good one. so what if it sounds like "atonal wank" you are just jealous because no one has ever said "hey sean, i really like your credit card." you have never understood me. i bet you never even liked me.

That's the coolest thing i've ever read! nanners
wh5terabb5t
authorless
Quote:
you think you are so much better than me? well look at you,

sad banana

hihi
blungo2
Ack! Couldn't resist, had to pre-order before i got left donutless.
jonkull
I still can't decide between this and the Anti-Osc...or both...

REwire wrote:
Mine cost $487 due to 9.75% local tax + shipping (even though I could pick it up, but lazy). eek!

Don't you hate being local to the only US distributors of modular gear? That 9.75% makes me second guess the 'necessity' of all my purchases (and has even stopped a few).
blungo2
jonkull wrote:
I still can't decide between this and the Anti-Osc...or both...

REwire wrote:

Don't you hate being local to the only US distributors of modular gear? That 9.75% makes me second guess the 'necessity' of all my purchases (and has even stopped a few).

The anti looks very interesting as well but i've wanted the hertz since i first heard about.
I have to say though, if i had to pay an additional almost 10% on everything my lust for most modules would be somewhat diminished.
science
I'd be looking for alternate ways to go about buying modules if the main dealer was in Chicago (11.5% sales tax last I checked - I try to avoid buying things from my own city as much as possible). Sucks that you guys in California get hit with that tax if you want a 200e system as well. Time to have out of state friends start "buying" these things for you.
fluxmonkey
i ordered my patch...

gonna look so cool, can't decide if i shd put it on my jean jacket or my baseball cap, can't wait.

i hear it comes with a cool-looking gizmo of some sort...
suboptimal
The sales tax hit really punishes expensive buys like this, for sure - it discourages me from buying. I try to buy used, or order directly from out-of-state manufacturers (like Malekko - I went direct for the Noise Ring) solely because of it.* Can't avoid buying from AH on a lot of things, though - it would be much worse if AH wasn't manned by pros with high standards of customer service; there's nothing worse than forking over the extra state premium when you're getting shafted (i.e. Guitar Center).

*Granted, you aren't actually relieved of the sales tax obligation by ordering from out of state, from the tax man's perspective.
felix
Yeah the CA sales tax hit sucks. I always try to look at it as "hey, it could be worse, I could live someplace else." wink

I'll postulate that it sucks worse for us norcal-ers. Not only do we have the CA sales tax hit, but we have to pay shipping too because we're not in driving distance to pick it up! razz
Junk Rhythm
felix wrote:
I'll postulate that it sucks worse for us norcal-ers. Not only do we have the CA sales tax hit, but we have to pay shipping too because we're not in driving distance to pick it up! razz

Agreed.
dkcg
felix wrote:
Yeah the CA sales tax hit sucks. I always try to look at it as "hey, it could be worse, I could live someplace else." wink

You you are within driving distance of Buchla tho.

Damn that 9.25% sales tax!!! I'm paying almost 40% in taxes as it is, I buy anything and they've taken half my money for...um...not sure what the hell they do with my taxes. cry I've heard this kinda behavior referred to as extortion, pay your taxes or we'll put you in jail. Extortion. Rage!

That patch would look great next to my muffwiggler patch...

Damn yoos Harvestman! I didn't want any more euro, but the Donut looks so tasty!
Junk Rhythm
All of CA folks need to put the shipping/tax money towards a van rental. We'll just drive up together to The Harvestman Compound and demand we pay at the door in cash.
computer controlled
Junk Rhythm wrote:
All of CA folks need to put the shipping/tax money towards a van rental. We'll just drive up together to The Harvestman Compound and demand we pay at the door in cash.

You mean like i can do?

Dancing Star
felix
The manual is up! (just like my avatar title says - I love the manuals) The Tracking Modes descriptions are literally drool-inducing. This makes the waiting even harder.

http://www.theharvestman.org/hertzdonut.pdf

w00t
authorless
i can't wait to get mine. felix, i have a folder on my computer full of manuals, hehehe. and a stack of manuals underneath my neglected-in-favor-of-my-modular keyboards.

now, off to read the manual!
blungo2
felix wrote:
The manual is up! (just like my avatar title says - I love the manuals) The Tracking Modes descriptions are literally drool-inducing. This makes the waiting even harder.

http://www.theharvestman.org/hertzdonut.pdf

w00t

eggcellent!
johnchantler
i like this kind of stuff in the manual:

Quote:
* Inputs G, T expect a 0-5V control voltage. Values out of this range may cause mild
undefined behavior. Use those manual knobs and attenuators!
† Inputs D, Q expect a 0-10V control voltage. Values out of this range may cause mild
undefined behavior. Use those manual knobs and attenuators!
‡ Inputs E, R expect a +/-5V audio signal."

really useful things that i wish i knew the answer to for some of my other modules... (combined with knowledge about what they send out...)[/quote]
Cybananna
Quote:
Values out of this range may cause mild undefined behavior.

This sounds like a good thing to me! Cthulhu
REwire
After reading this manual, I am anticipating this more than any other module ever. If that waveform discontinuity on the sine sounds like I hope it does, this will be the Buchla 261e for us but better. Anyone thinking this is expensive with all those features that to me trounce the $26 cheaper AFG, is missing out big. I think this will put out amazing never before heard timbres.
berfmurret
i have been curious about the range on each of the sections.. i see a hi/lo on the modulation section.. but... . ... .. ..... guess i will find out here first hand in less than a month!!! applause Dead Banana
Cat-A-Tonic
love fucking awesome manual! we're not worthy
MY ASS IS BLEEDING It hurts, doesn't it? This is fun!
authorless
also: don't think i didn't notice the "danger !!!!!! terror horror" on the circuit board. awesome!
Montag
w00t!! Tombstone Ghost
blungo2
authorless wrote:
also: don't think i didn't notice the "danger !!!!!! terror horror" on the circuit board. awesome!

Makes me think of the "paul barker is an asshole" on the Borg circuit board. I shoulda kept that borg...
governor blacksnake
REwire wrote:
After reading this manual, I am anticipating this more than any other module ever. If that waveform discontinuity on the sine sounds like I hope it does, this will be the Buchla 261e for us but better. Anyone thinking this is expensive with all those features that to me trounce the $26 cheaper AFG, is missing out big. I think this will put out amazing never before heard timbres.

To my ears a manual sweep of the sine discontinuity sounds like you're fading from the "pure" sine across a mild PWM effect back down to something a little softer (maybe like the Cwejman VCO2RM's sawtooth width modulation but with the sine as a starting point).

The really interesting one to me is the triangle discontinuity, in the lower octaves it can make heavy distorted chorused tones even without audio-rate modulation.

This thing will sit well next to an AFG, it'll X-mod with it all day once the expander comes out!
Veqtor
once the expander comes out!

once? hihi

I do hope the AFG expansions will be revealed in greater detail soon... getting tired of the complete silence from livewire...
blungo2
^

I think that's my dream combo. A Hertz Donut linked to and AFG via an xpander module. Rockin' Banana!

edit: Hasn't Mike from Livewire had some health issues, hence the delay of the expansion module?
Mr White
at the end I fuckin' pre ordered mine....
science
Did you just learn how to swear recently or something?

I don't care, but you seem to go out of your way to include the word fuck or fucking in every one of your posts... as if you just learned this amazing new word and have to use it as much as possible.
science
...and back on topic, that manual already has me wanting to add a second one to my system, and I don't even have the first yet.
jonkull
science wrote:
...and back on topic, that manual already has me wanting to add a second one to my system, and I don't even have the first yet.

Me too. I almost pre-ordered two but stopped myself at the last minute. I'm still considering the second one though.
ersatzplanet
felix wrote:

Make friends with someone in Oregon (no sales tax) and have them ship it to you. Gotta be cheaper.
-J
berfmurret
jonkull wrote:
science wrote:

Me too. I almost pre-ordered two but stopped myself at the last minute. I'm still considering the second one though.

me three. help ambulance
Glitchmachines
Yo, Science, let the mean swear if he wants to...what are you, the Hall Monitor? Pokeout
science
Subtraqt wrote:
Yo, Science, let the mean swear if he wants to...what are you, the Hall Monitor? Pokeout

Like I said, I don't care what he says. It just makes his posts hard to take seriously when he constantly goes out of his way to put fuck in them. seriously, i just don't get it
science
jonkull wrote:
science wrote:

I'm going to wait until my first one arrives, spend some time with it, and decide from there whether I want a pair. The answer will probably be yes, though.
sandyb
berfmurret wrote:
jonkull wrote:
science wrote:

me three. help ambulance

me four!
jonkull
science wrote:
jonkull wrote:
science wrote:

I'm going to wait until my first one arrives, spend some time with it, and decide from there whether I want a pair. The answer will probably be yes, though.

That's probably what I'll end up doing as well. Though it's still tempting to buy two of them outright. I won't have room in my rack for a second one anyway until I sell something else and free up space...or buy another rack. very frustrating
science
jonkull wrote:
I won't have room in my rack for a second one anyway until I sell something else and free up space...or buy another rack. very frustrating

I have the same problem right now. I'm going to order a custom case with 5 or 6 rows of 84hp each at some point, but that's my limit - no more than 6 rows of euro.. I don't want to create a gigantic wall of euro.
richard
Mr White wrote:
at the end I fuckin' pre ordered mine....

fuckin' cool! hihi

shoulda called it a Hertz Fuckin Donut I reckon,

Richard
richard
blungo2 wrote:
I shoulda kept that borg...

no you shouldn't Mr. Green

R
jonkull
science wrote:
jonkull wrote:
I won't have room in my rack for a second one anyway until I sell something else and free up space...or buy another rack. very frustrating

I have the same problem right now. I'm going to order a custom case with 5 or 6 rows of 84hp each at some point, but that's my limit - no more than 6 rows of euro.. I don't want to create a gigantic wall of euro.

I'm limiting myself to 2 6U racks of euro for now. I don't want to go any bigger and would rather save what little space and money I do have (after this last VCO purchase of course) to put toward a small 4 space Buchla or a Serge panel.

Man, I need a second job...
science
I tried to limit myself to 12U, but it didn't work. I think another 6U will be fine, and allow me the space I need for all the best of what euro has to offer. I'm trying to slim down my system by replacing VCAs with 4hp VCAs, etc. I want more functional density.
jonkull
science wrote:
I tried to limit myself to 12U, but it didn't work.

Yes...I can see how that could happen. Every time I log onto this site I discover something else I 'need'. Though in reality I'm able to do the kinds of things I want to do with the setup I already have and keep trying to force myself to keep that in mind when I stare at the Analogue Haven checkout button. lol

Regardless I'm really looking forward to this oscillator and hope it's as good as I think it will be. I'd like to hear some more demos...
richard
science wrote:
as if you just learned this amazing new word and have to use it as much as possible.

yeah, like the first few minutes of the South Park movie when they come out of the cinema blessed with a whole new langauge entirely based on obscenities. Must be my northern english roots but I'm kinda drawn to people who swear too much for no good reason... you should hear Steve Barrow

by the fucking way, did i fucking mention I fucking really fucking hate the fucking ugly fucking graphics on that fuckin thing?

hihi

R
science
richard wrote:
science wrote:
as if you just learned this amazing new word and have to use it as much as possible.

yeah, like the first few minutes of the South Park movie when they come out of the cimnema blessed with a whole new langauge entirely based on obscenities. Must be my northern english roots but I'm kinda drawn to people who swear too much for no good reason... you should hear Steve Barrow

Well fuck you thumbs up

That south park skit is hilarious.
Kakihara
Richard,

You should drop by Montéal and hang out with some french crews... you'll hear your load of local swearing hehehe... we really have that STRONG tendency here Guinness ftw! SlayerBadger!

Oh and yeah... I'm waiting for my Donut w00t

g.
LDT
From the manual:

Quote:
If you experience
difficulty with the module’s odd front panel measurement, you may
solve this by adding another odd-measured Harvestman module to
the system.

Haha, I always suspected that those odd sizes were a marketing trick. Now I know.

EDIT:
Oh fuck, I should fucking NOT have read the fucking manual. Now I fucking want one of those fuckers. Fuck.

EDIT 2:
I truely embrace the idea of making a module "not work so well" a part of the design. Stuff like those modes "Bad, Worse & Stupid" sound like rolemodels in that regard.
This reminds me of the other thread about how bad the AFG syncs. This could easily have been a feature IF they had done a "normal" sync mode also.
I would still love to see the "Plague Bearer of oscillators". An oscillator that is so unpredictable, unstable and gererally psychotic that you just have to surrender to it, haha. (Actually the vco of my new CRO-1 is somewhat like that.)
berfmurret
blast. i just realized after my donut gets here i will have an odd number of odd hp modules.. d'oh!

you know what that means!!!!!!!.. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
suboptimal
Heh yeah I just read the manual and now I see what the excitement is about. Looking forward to hearing what people record from this beastie.
felix
LDT wrote:
EDIT 2:
I truely embrace the idea of making a module "not work so well" a part of the design. Stuff like those modes "Bad, Worse & Stupid" sound like rolemodels in that regard.

Initially I thought the purpose of the tracking modes was simply to "act broken" or faulty, but after reading the manual I realize that the poor tracking is a two-way feedback loop between the modulator and the primary, very likely creating timbres not normally obtained through more standard FM arrangements.

Had I not already ordered it, this line from the manual alone would have sold me on it (from waveform discontinuity section):
Triangle: The slopes grow branches and foliage, with several
large discontinuities over the sweep of the control.
sandyb
felix wrote:
Triangle: The slopes grow branches and foliage, with several
large discontinuities over the sweep of the control.

hell fuck shit yes. w00t
Cybananna
fuck, I thought this was the Metasonix forum with all this fucking fuckering!

The tracking modes are one of the things that drew me to the HZD. I like the idea of choosing to have the module behave poorly.

I also almost ordered two. It was hard to resist.

The Agonizer!
NV
LDT wrote:

I would still love to see the "Plague Bearer of oscillators". An oscillator that is so unpredictable, unstable and gererally psychotic that you just have to surrender to it, haha.

You might like a thyratron tube based VCO like Metasonix has in the Wretch Machine and old TM-3. Eric has some DIY schematics around which work brilliantly as well.
blungo2
NV wrote:
LDT wrote:

I would still love to see the "Plague Bearer of oscillators". An oscillator that is so unpredictable, unstable and gererally psychotic that you just have to surrender to it, haha.

You might like a thyratron tube based VCO like Metasonix has in the Wretch Machine and old TM-3. Eric has some DIY schematics around which work brilliantly as well.

i think the Phantastron is a thyratron based VCO as well.
Mr White
I fuckin' love you all. hihi

here in Italy swearing is much of a way to add pathos to what we say, so sorry but it's absolutely a no-hurting thing! razz
Mr White
back a little on topic:

dont think about the hd as a nasty oscillator, but I would love a metasonix VCO module! twisted

I just need it!!!!

back more on topic:

I wanted the hd so bad from the first time I heard the triangle demo.

I own a Chimera BC8, fantastic sounding but almost no way of playing it musically...
but I found it sound VERY similar to the donut demo, so instant love!
richardm123uk
Hi there,

Does anyone know the depth of the Hertz?
felix
richardm123uk wrote:
Hi there,

Does anyone know the depth of the Hertz?

Not yet, but I would imagine less than 3" deep (panel to back of last PCB).
justin3am
I'm looking forward to my Donut Hertzing. I just made my pre-order!!!1!

Oh yeah... fuck!!!1!
governor blacksnake
http://soundcloud.com/harvestman/stupidtriangle
sandyb

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
woah woah
eek! eek!
nanners nanners
ambulance ambulance
love love
applause applause

oh yes - nearly forgot - FUCK
astroschnautzer
The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman
justin3am

Great googly-fuckin'-moogly!
science
Sounds awesome. Can't wait.
parasitk
Okay, this sounds awesome.

I'm still not getting into Euro, but this is a temptation if I ever heard one! w00t
Cybananna

Fucking Fuck! we're not worthy

Dead Banana
felix
WHAT!!!!? MY ASS IS BLEEDING

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
jonkull
Does someone want to hum this for me? Soundcloud is blocked by our firewall. Dead Banana
suthnear
fook love
Glitchmachines
jonkull wrote:
Does someone want to hum this for me? Soundcloud is blocked by our firewall. Dead Banana

sure:

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo w00t w00t w00t screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! Guinness ftw! twisted twisted twisted twisted twisted twisted The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap The Chewbacca Defense The Chewbacca Defense Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! w00t!! w00t!! w00t!! w00t!! Eel Power FTW! Eel Power FTW! Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
incekt
that does sound really cool, hope they get done sooner!
governor blacksnake
incekt wrote:
that does sound really cool, hope they get done sooner!

The modules just arrived from the factory, and I'm spending the weekend testing and calibrating them. Early next week we put the panels on, then they ship.
MrDys
Goddamn.
authorless
governor blacksnake, say hi to mine for me. we're not worthy Cthulhu
wetterberg
Holy fuckballs...!

okay, this might.. just... be the Harvestman module for me MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I don't think my ears have had that much of a rinsing since Pen Expers by Autechre - that low, dirty sound.

VERY well done!

The Harvestman
wetterberg
I just watched the hilarious "oligarhy" (sic) video of Glenn Beck, and I don't know which one was set the most to "stupid", hehe.
Kent
I love that staircasing ASR sound in there.

fuck
Slemper
that was .....insane.
wetterberg
And did I hallucinate the bit that said "no patchcords"?!?! Wtf is that all about, this is it on ITS OWN?!?
REwire
wetterberg wrote:
And did I hallucinate the bit that said "no patchcords"?!?! Wtf is that all about, this is it on ITS OWN?!?

That's what kept me away from the Zeroscillator, and to be honest, the AFG for all it's space could have modulated itself.
berfmurret
beyond sick. i am so stoked.
wetterberg
REwire wrote:
wetterberg wrote:

That's what kept me away from the Zeroscillator, and to be honest, the AFG for all it's space could have modulated itself.
how though? I can easily make the MFB OSC-02 modulate itself... because it's a triple - and the HZd because it's a dual - but line up an ELF next to an AFG or something for similar effects, right?

... although it will NOT sound as cool as this! Dead Banana
Mr White
yeah, for the unfuckin'believable holy fuck I'm so badly waiting this dofuck that I just forgot all that 425 bucks... ambulance ambulance ambulance ambulance ambulance The Harvestman The Harvestman The Harvestman
Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
emergencyofstate
i think it sounds nasty and great and everything...but c'mon

(hides)
dougcl
emergencyofstate wrote:

(hides)

Seriously. This sounds like the typical sonic mishmash to me. There are two oscillators here. Of course it can modulate itself.

This is not to say the module isn't likely to be wonderful.
Hi5
dougcl wrote:
emergencyofstate wrote:

(hides)

Seriously. This sounds like the typical sonic mishmash to me. There are two oscillators here. Of course it can modulate itself.

both points true but I think the hype is in the fact that this vco can do such things without patching anything, is only 17hp, and the example given was nothing special as far as the set-up/routing goes. sure these types of sounds are available in other means but this efficiently? I can get the same with my model 15 but that is already 18hp and this isn't including the additional modules needed. Given the broad range of possibilities in this unit I think the hype is well placed assuming it sounds great across the board. For live performances where all I want to haul is a small case the donut, prospectively, will pack quite a punch.
suboptimal
Does that mean it's a . . . jelly-filled donut?

d'oh!

Let the hype(r)fest continue! hyper
parasitk
So... it's a problem that it sounds good? I don't get the complaining. seriously, i just don't get it
dougcl
parasitk wrote:
So... it's a problem that it sounds good? I don't get the complaining. seriously, i just don't get it

No problem, I can honestly say I don't get the reaction. I feel like I can get these sounds all day long without even trying. If I were to post them here I doubt there would be one response, let alone this kind of response. So I'm skeptical about how much this is about SOUND vs GEAR. But I guess gear lust is part of the fun. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
parasitk
dougcl wrote:
No problem, I can honestly say I don't get the reaction. I feel like I can get these sounds all day long without even trying. If I were to post them here I doubt there would be one response, let alone this kind of response. So I'm skeptical about how much this is about SOUND vs GEAR. But I guess gear lust is part of the fun. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Gotcha. I mean yeah I can get sounds *like* this too, but it does have a particular character which I (and apparently others) happen to find appealing. There's plenty of raving about other modules (Anti-Osc comes to mind) that I can't seem to get excited about, so I understand. To each their own and all that!
science
Do I get a free Hertz Donut for starting this thread? hihi
breakscience
I will give you a hurtz donut for free! razz
governor blacksnake
I just cleaned up some code and added some bonus features. The manual has been updated to reflect this.

Now:

The default mode of the external FM inputs is exponential, expecting a CV from 0-5V. If you hold down a waveform selector button for a little bit, the waveform LEDs invert and that oscillator's FM input becomes linear, thru-zero expecting a bipolar audio signal. The spectral supremacy of this mode is indisputable, but it also contains some jitter at lower modulation indices than some users may find offensive.

In each of the "bad, worse stupid", tracking modes, pushing the mod frequency range button causes both of its LEDs to light, and gives you alternate time constants (bad, worse) or a longer search length (stupid).

I've been playing with this thing on the good monitors for a bit now and it's satisfying enough to start doing a bunch of shit 120 times over so you guys can have your turn.
felix
The default mode of the external FM inputs is exponential, expecting a CV from 0-5V.

YES!!! Just yesterday I was lamenting to myself on the lack of exponential FM. Fucking awesome.

w00t
Mr White
The default mode of the external FM inputs is exponential, expecting a CV from 0-5V. If you hold down a waveform selector button for a little bit, the waveform LEDs invert and that oscillator's FM input becomes linear, thru-zero expecting a bipolar audio signal. The spectral supremacy of this mode is indisputable, but it also contains some jitter at lower modulation indices than some users may find offensive.

hellayeah this is da shiet! very nice addition for us FM whores here, definitely cant live without an expo input! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Tsarik
im just getting into subtractive synthesis.. hell.. just getting into synthesizers period.

planning my modular atm, and reading everything I can find.

listening to to the demos of of the Hertz Donut just astound me... more than astound me... i have to ask myself... "what am i getting into?"

i find solace in the fact that I will never need any other entertainment in my life. modular addiction here i come.
wetterberg
Tsarik wrote:
i find solace in the fact that I will never need any other entertainment in my life. modular addiction here i come.
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
richardm123uk
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the depth of the Donut?.
Cheers,R
science
My 200e and Hertz Donut are now in a race. Whichever one arrives first is going to cause the other one to be severely neglected for a bit.
theglyph
science wrote:
My 200e and Hertz Donut are now in a race. Whichever one arrives first is going to cause the other one to be severely neglected for a bit.

What if they arrive at the same time It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana
science
theglyph wrote:
science wrote:

What if they arrive at the same time It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana

Then I'm going to be severely neglected for a while... as is my fiance help
wetterberg
richardm123uk wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,R
judging from the pic I've seen it's about 5 cm or less.
Chuck E. Jesus

can someone explain what this means exactly?
REwire
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:

I have no idea. But, it means we are gonna ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
Cybananna
REwire wrote:
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:

I have no idea. But, it means we are gonna ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!

lol

Excellent answer! Guinness ftw!
felix
I'm pretty sure he means that the sidebands that are created in the through-zero mode are [arguably] superior to those of the default exponential mode. However, it appears that there's some side affects when small amounts of linear through-zero modulation are used that people may not like, so the exponential (which I'm guessing does not have these) is the default.

I for one always planned to use the linear mode, I am however glad that there is an exp. mode now (or if there always was one, I now know about it).
Chuck E. Jesus
felix wrote:
I'm pretty sure he means that the sidebands that are created in the through-zero mode are [arguably] superior to those of the default exponential mode. However, it appears that there's some side affects when small amounts of linear through-zero modulation are used that people may not like, so the exponential (which I'm guessing does not have these) is the default.

I for one always planned to use the linear mode, I am however glad that there is an exp. mode now (or if there always was one, I now know about it).

i thought it would do something along the lines of DX7 type modulation, but wasn't sure...and i thought it had both linear and exp, but i only glanced at the manual tbh...guess i'll know more next week hihi
felix
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
i thought it would do something along the lines of DX7 type modulation, but wasn't sure...

Linear mode should give you that. I have no idea how the through-zero aspect is going to add-to or differ in tonality though.

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
and i thought it had both linear and exp, but i only glanced at the manual tbh...guess i'll know more next week hihi

AFAIK, it was only going to be linear (through-zero) FM, up until last week when Scott said there was going to be an expo mode now as well (and that it would be the default). I could be wrong though, it could have been there all along.

Definitely download the manual or print it out, or something. You'll definitely need it as a reference for the various modes until it all becomes second nature - at least I know I will.
Chuck E. Jesus
felix wrote:

Definitely download the manual or print it out, or something. You'll definitely need it as a reference for the various modes until it all becomes second nature - at least I know I will.

definitely will have it close when i'm checking it out...i wasn't expecting to make DX pianos or anything, but some of the timbres from the examples gave "that sound"...none of my oscs have linear modulation, so i figured the HD will be a good compliment of something completely different either way, and that's a good thing...
richardm123uk
Hi,

Cheers,R
Quote:

Cheers
felix
wetterberg wrote:
richardm123uk wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,R
judging from the pic I've seen it's about 5 cm or less.
justin3am
Stop reminding me how badly I want this to be in my case right now. angry ambulance

Sorry, I'll be fine. Mr. Green
authorless
soon soon soon...
governor blacksnake
I just measured my donut. Behind the panel it is 23mm deep, but there are a few headers that take it out to 32mm (a bit more if something like a power cable is plugged in.)

Donut arrives at Analogue Haven tomorrow... enjoy!

One last change has been made to the FM selection mode: since the external FM inputs are a little on the noisy side (depending on mode, and in different frequency ranges), you must first enable the inputs by holding down the waveform selection button for the osc that you'd like to FM. After holding it down for a second or two, the waveform LEDs will go all-off and expo fm is enabled. Press the button once more and all LEDs will light, and the thru-zero linear FM is enabled. Hold the button down again to turn external FM off and return the button's function to waveform selection. When the external FM is disabled like this you can enjoy a greater stability when using the internal modulator or just the bare waveforms...

The manual has been updated!
Hi5

Press the button once more and all LEDs will light, and the thru-zero linear FM is enabled. Hold the button down again to turn external FM off and return the button's function to waveform selection. When the external FM is disabled like this you can enjoy a greater stability when using the internal modulator or just the bare waveforms...

so if we have external FM enabled is it possible to change the waveforms at all? or does one need to disable external FM to change waveforms and then turn it back on again?
governor blacksnake
Yeah, you'll have to have your desired waveform selected before going external FM-ing. Having the button-hold simply toggle between waveform selection and FM mode selection can put the user in a situation where the inputs are enabled with nothing to indicate it on the interface so the FM enable was designed the other way around.

(Piston Honda will simply have old-fashioned external FM, its only button-hold mode will be for assigning ROM chips to the A/B slots if the expander is installed).
bar|none
Any chance of some behaved demos? Like classic FM bells and chimes and bass and all that stuff?

[edit] Found my demo. Just what I was looking for. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
http://citizenmori.com/wigglers/donut_2009-09-03-4am-ctznmri.mp3

I went through all the pages of this thread looking for a comparison to the ZO but didn't find one. Does anyone care to make a comparison. One is analog VCO, one is digital VCO I guess.

I admit that I don't know a ton about FM. The stereo capabilities of the ZO with the quadralature etc seem interesting. The HD has 90% out of phase.

I'm lost...anyone care to comment?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 9