MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yes, we have some bananas. We have some bananas today.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Yes, we have some bananas. We have some bananas today.
Graham Hinton
Now shipping:

Since most of the interest for our PinMix came from people with several different synthesizer systems we have extended the concept for interfacing between the different standards as well as patching within one.

This is NOT a Eurorack system (although that is compatible too), it is a 3U rack frame with its own mains PSU. Every input has banana>minijack>bantam (balanced) connectors and a preset gain between +/-10dB (x3 to ÷3). Summing is precise and DC coupled for both CV and audio use. Every output has any two of the above connectors on the front panel, rear connectors may be provided too.

Buchla users will recognise the significance of the banana colours. The sixteenth input and output is a comprehensive Gate & Trigger interface that will translate analogue signals, Buchla Pulse or any Gate/Trigger into retriggerable Buchla Pulse, ARP Gate & Trigger, Moog S-Trig and 5V gate and trigger. This will soon be available as a separate module.

Larger customised matrices may be built in 6U frames.
Non-Buchla users may have bananas in the colours of their choice. Except yellow--those are available from greengrocers.
mono-poly
love woow looks great
7thDanSound
AWESOME! SlayerBadger! Oh, and how much?
prscrptn
Beautiful! w00t
mike sheridan
Holy!!!!!!
What a perfect gateway for patchbay users... That bantam feature is simply beautiful.

How much is this going to cost? And how long will it remain in production?
hiawog
even though i have no need for this in my current studio, i think the whole idea is beautifully conceived and implemented. i can see how many nana and cross-format users that would love this. nice! applause
Pfurmel
Graham Hinton wrote:
Except yellow--those are available from greengrocers.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
divisionbyzero
graham, i'm curious if you can describe how the pin matrix works? are the pins binary or does the resistance matter (synthi style)?

also, i remember in another post about matrix patchbays you mentioned buffering all of the junctures to avoid voltage drop when you have the same input going to 15 outputs. are you doing that here?
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t

oh yesssss - i've been watching for this one!

cheers
richard
that is one big, expensive motherfucking multiple!
Graham Hinton
mike sheridan wrote:

What a perfect gateway for patchbay users... That bantam feature is simply beautiful.

All our modules are available with bantam jacks and balanced I/O.

Quote:

How much is this going to cost? And how long will it remain in production?

Price is going to vary with size and options and (in Europe) if you have to pay VAT, but people pay more for single mic preamps or single Buchla modules.

It will remain in production as long as there is one person in the world who wants to buy one.

divisonbyzero wrote:

i'm curious if you can describe how the pin matrix works? are the pins binary or does the resistance matter (synthi style)?

It's a mixer for audio and CV. Each input channel is a special version of Trimmer and has polarity, gain and level control and drives a column. Each output is the true algebraic sum of whatever pins are in its row. There is a bicolour LED to indicate output level and the last row has a comparator for converting to a Gate, essentially the same as SwitchMix, but more I/O.

The pins contain 0.1% resistors further graded into 5 bands, so for even more precise repeatibility use the same colour. The pins are more substantial than others that have been used, my poor VCS3 feels cheap and nasty in comparison.

Quote:
also, i remember in another post about matrix patchbays you mentioned buffering all of the junctures to avoid voltage drop when you have the same input going to 15 outputs. are you doing that here?

Yes, it is fully buffered and pitch accurate. It wouldn't be worth building otherwise. Each input will drive a column with all the pins in. I'm measuring a 0.01dB drop between 1 and 15 pins.

richard wrote:

that is one big, expensive motherfucking multiple!

Well it's not a multiple, it's not expensive compared to any other way of achieving the same functionality, and it's not big. THIS, trying not to sound like Crocodile Dundee, is a big one:

which could be built into a 6U rack frame...
tabori
Can somebody explain me how to use the matrix?

I feel like I'm completely lost

Congratulations, It does looks very nice

Cheers!

Tabori
opsysbug
Bumping this for more info. When will it go up on the site?
Thanks hyper
Matos
I have no need, nor the means. I'm simply in awe of its beauty and functionality. If I strike some texas gold in my yard, it shall be mine. Wowsers!
batchas
tabori wrote:

I feel like I'm completely lost

Congratulations, It does looks very nice

Cheers!

Tabori

For a start, please considere A-S sources and 1-15 destinations (or the opposite, but it makes more sense from left to top IMO). So every letter represent a plug where you gonna connect your OUTs and every number your INs.

A pin is only a connection between 2 lines (1 horizontal: row / 1 vertical: column). No pin, no connection.
In my pix, you see a pin (point) in D5. A point at the intersection between row D and column 5.
So If you have connected an output of your LFO in D and a "cut-off frequency input" of your filter in 5, your filter is going to be modulated by your LFO waveform.
Hopes it makes it clear. Don't concentrate on all points. Just look at the matrix as rows/sources and columns/destinations and their intersection being the connection between the 2.
Once your understood this principle, you are free to experiment more unconventional inter-connectivity, feedbacks and so on...

PS:
If you had a point in D10 and a "pulse width IN" from your osc in 10, the pulse width of your osc would be modulated too by the LFO waveform in D. And what Graham wrote is that you won't have any voltage drop or loss of signal quality because the matrix in and outs are fully buffered and pitch accurate. So you can have multiple sources/destinations (which makes sense for a matrix!).

Graham Hinton
tabori wrote:

It is a type of mixer that works with CVs as well as audio. The Input modules provide polarity, gain and level control and each number drives the corresponding column in the matrix. Inserting a pin adds that input to the lettered output row. Visualise it like a 15 input mixer with 15 mix buses.

Matrix pin patching has been used in synthesizers before, but not like this. There are three different types: passive shorting pins, passive resistor pins and active resistor pins (buffered).

The passive shorting method just connects the matrix rows and columns together so if you connect two inputs to one output the source module outputs become shorted together and cannot be used seperately. It does not achieve anything more than a row of input and output jacks and passive mults do.

The passive resistor method is what EMS used. It allows signals to be mixed, but not accurately and there are loading effects and interaction as pins are inserted or removed. Retuning is needed after every patch change.

PinMix is the active resistor type with pitch accurate true summing, which I don't believe has ever been available before, apart from a few custom projects. As most modules have a limited number of inputs and some have only one this provides a way of adding more inputs simply by plugging in a pin. With pitch accuracy you can drive a group of VCOs with a mixed combination of CVs and they will all track. Each input may drive a full column of pins, i.e. a 15 output distribution amplifier, and each output may have a full row of pins, i.e. a 15 input mixer.

A common problem with jack patching modulars is what I call the "1% problem". The combination of 1k outputs and 100k inputs creates a small loss of 1% and an additional 1% for every load. Multing or stack patching to three inputs creates a 3% loss and to overcome this people use buffered multiples which are limited in size and normally buffers the 1% loss at its input. That is why the PinMix Input trimmers have a preset 25-turn gain adjustment. A 1% pitch CV loss may be compensated exactly and then all the outputs will be driven with the correct voltage. It also has other uses like changing Buchla 1.2V/oct to 1V/oct and vice versa, as well as general level matching. The PinMix outputs do not have 1k series resistors (they are short circuit protected) so there is no further 1% loss.

The limitation of pin matrices is that the input level is common to all outputs where it is used, to have individual control would require an array of knobs which would be much larger and cost more. Matrix knob mixers are usually quite small, e.g. 4x4. The advantages of pin matrices are the density and single pin operation. Being modular it can be used where appropriate in combination with other methods and while it can be used for very complex patching most interest seems to be coming from people seeking to integrate different systems, including keyboard synthesizers, sequencers and DAWs.
For local submixing we have ModMix which also includes two multipliers and a noise generator.

opsybug wrote:

Bumping this for more info. When will it go up on the site?

The fastest way to get information out is to use this forum, the second fastest is our News pages which also gets fed to matrixsynth.
Proper web pages are a lot of work and with several PinMix orders just this last weekend that isn't going to be the top priority at the moment. All specific questions via PMs and contact form enquiries will get answered.
Lyonel
thumbs up
renzo
Yes.....total thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Thanks Graham!

GET YOURS TODAY!
ORDER NOW!
w00t
batchas
Renzo was unpacking his new toy 2 weeks ago...
Actually the PinMix is much more than a toy. I had the chance to try it and it's awesome. It's the kind of tool which, if you have the money and the space for it, should not be lacking in any modular setup (even with one single format).
It's a standalone solid solution, with its own rack ready to power up.
The quality looks also very good.

phisynth
Patch & sound or augmented reality !
renzo
thumbs up

I was rather excited ....

Thanks sup Batchas

ORDER NOW!!!
dolma84
Great video
Awesome looking device
Nice shoes