MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Let's talk weevil
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Let's talk weevil
oljud
I've bought a second hand 2012 BW.
First let's get this out of the way:

WHAAAAAAT w00t w00t w00t w00t !!!!! WTF!! love

!!1

I like this thing.

Talk:

I read the text on the back and was kind of... :-( I realise it can break, but some bendy stuff must be safer, no? Given that any breakage is still on my head: are any connections safe(r)? I guess I should avoid the top things – speaker and jack + pots, battery, transformer etc...? I'm not thinking mods, just touching the back now and then.. :-)

Also: how do the touch plates work (electronically I mean)? My other touchy synts are (I think) much cruder: the touch points there act as connections and the signal runs through my fingers and arms with the synth not doing anything unless the right contacts are touched. I'm guessing the weevil is something more sophisticated, like induction (similar to CTL2)?

The reason I'm asking is that using two of the other kind of synths at the same time (one with each hand) is tons of fun and I'm wondering what effect this would have on the BW (and if it's considered dangerous). The other synths are John Richards', I think you're familiar with some of them? They all run on batteries (9v, 3v).

Oh and w00t w00t w00t

Now will you make a touchable PT delay+crusher/wavefolder...? :-D
jenamu6
The weevil is nice isn't it?
I love the filter on this beast......you can get those lovely pinging pinky plonks.

I use mine wit a looper.......you can get so many geat sounds out of it.

You can touch the underside......but Tom doesn't recommend it (I do it soemtimes.....) but I like the sounds you get wit the touchplates better.
nrdvrgr
Remember this old clip? One of my best ever...

Big Weevil fan here...
a100user
This is my Weevil - believed to be 2008 vintage

Generally used in conjunction with this

So the out put is awesome to say the least

The day I got it I did this grin

[s]http://soundcloud.com/a100user/audio-weevil[/s]

I love my Weevil love love love love love love
oljud
No, I've done a bit of fingering on the back but haven't come up with much of interest.

I am interested in the toucing-two-synths-at-once-thing tough.

It is great. I'm running it through a G2 engine now. Been playing with it all day. Crazy stuff!
nrdvrgr
Recorded this just now while sipping a beer on the porch:
oljud
Garden noise is the best noise!

I tend to run mine through my battery amp though. The built in speaker is nice, but it can create such lovely drones and growls that just go lost if you use the built in.

Actually I use the built in too, as a tweeter. Nice crunch.
a scanner darkly
I find I like the built in speaker sound better than what I get from the line out. I should just get a cheap clip on mic and run it on another channel and then mix the two...

Now, what I'm curious about is how dangerous (or not) would it be to power it with a signal from modular? Say, if I were to use a DC offset LFO and power the Weevil from it instead of battery (in other words, voltage controlled power starvation)? w00t
oljud
Well, I find that most noise synths sound better through my amp than through normal speakers. It distorts and filters a bit. Looks like this:
oljud
So far today my Weevil has distracted me from:

getting dressed
buying gas so for hot water
lunch
watching Edge of Darkness
the sunshine
oljud
Oh, and I still haven't plugged in my quadrature sine since wednesday (hides)
sandyb
my favourite is the postcard weevil.

some old multi-tracked noises with one:

[bctrack]283109484[/bctrack]
muncky
I've got an old green weevil, and a new blue one. the new blue one loves delays and reverbs. particularly like the LPG is tones you can get with that filter...
muncky
Oh! and a100user - I need some of that moisturiser - first time I've knowingly heard one. quite quite awesome (and a looker too ;-)
a100user
muncky wrote:
Oh! and a100user - I need some of that moisturiser - first time I've knowingly heard one. quite quite awesome (and a looker too ;-)

I'll bring it to the Brighton meet so you can play.
muncky
a100user wrote:
muncky wrote:

Cool! Negotiations have commenced with my better half...
a100user
muncky wrote:
a100user wrote:
muncky wrote:

It'd be good to meet you, incidently that Weevil clip is not using the Moisturizer, that's just reverb and delay from Logic.

Just managing expectations wink
jenamu6
2 clips to show how big this can sound with some effects.

[/video]
muncky
a100user wrote:
muncky wrote:
a100user wrote:
muncky wrote:

It'd be good to meet you, incidently that Weevil clip is not using the Moisturizer, that's just reverb and delay from Logic.

Just managing expectations wink

Very impressed nonetheless - but surely the moisturizer must be even better due to real knobs wink

Fingers crossed for Brighton
a100user
Oh yes the Moisturizer is a nice piece of kit grin
oljud
http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/bugbrand_old/images/9vcell/delaybox.jpg – touch points for delay time. So it CAN be a touch synth!
a scanner darkly
Was fooling around with Machinedrum and modular yesterday and then fired up The Weevil and it's just too much fun. Mutating dolphin screeches into fat kicks!

[s]http://soundcloud.com/fuzzybeacon/sometimes[/s]
evs
oljud wrote:

I read the text on the back and was kind of... :-( I realise it can break, but some bendy stuff must be safer, no? Given that any breakage is still on my head: are any connections safe(r)? I guess I should avoid the top things – speaker and jack + pots, battery, transformer etc...? I'm not thinking mods, just touching the back now and then.. :-)

whats the text on the back saying?
do i understand this correct, you are not allowed to touch the back? hmmm.....
oljud
Roughly: don't touch the back or on your head be it. I'm guessing it can handle quite a lot of back-touchery, but for warranty reasons it's difficult to have people do these things. Especially when touching the battery, output and the big transformer?

I haven't really felt a need for touching the back. It's deep enough as it is. Just curious, and wondering about the cross-modulation thing.
BugBrand
Yes, it is mainly as a disclaimer. Frankly there's already a LOT of possibilities with the touchplates - and connections to these all have current limiting resistors in series to prevent any potential damage. Not that you're likely to kill anything in normal operation, but I've had a few returns over the years from people taking things a bit too far... (saying that, such occurrences are rare).

Electronically, you are changing the resistance between different parts of the circuit. At simplest - for example with the tune pots, these are 1M pots so if turned down fully you have a resistance of 1M (giving low oscillation rate) - you'll notice there are two touch-points per osc and these simply connect either side of the pot - touching between them tends to lower the resistance, thus increasing the rate of oscillation. Of course, that's the basic - once you start touching other parts you begin creating new flow routes. The resistance depends on how moist your fingers are - dry fingers will have a higher resistance than sweaty ones.

This is why I recommend fingers or something with resistance (croc-cable with pot inserted in series?) rather than simply using wires to join different points (ie. simply shorting circuiting) - the wire approach lacks the subtlety of the variable resistance approach.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2