MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Triggerhappy - rhythm generator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Triggerhappy - rhythm generator
puzo
something else? even better, that'll be two things to build hihi

i'm just at the beginning of my SDIY journey and my projects need to be pretty easy, one step at a time. if a pcb is available it may just be within my current skill level. Getting breadboard to start experimenting and developing my abilities. aurdino is another step to learn
makro
arduino noob to join smile

Please answer a few of my questions:

Which arduino board should i use?
...i guess arduino nano?

On which page of this thread can i find the latest support files (bom,pcb,wirings...) and code?

Are future upgrades/updates in fact just subsequent writes on the atmega chip(s)?

Any body knows a cheap supplier for custom frontplates in the EU?

Thanks Mr. Green
mxmxmx
makro wrote:

Please answer a few of my questions:

Which arduino board should i use?
...i guess arduino nano?

there's two atmega328s involved; so nano would work. the pcbs that were floating around didn't use any arduino boards.

Quote:

On which page of this thread can i find the latest support files (bom,pcb,wirings...) and code?

that would be diablojoy's post on "Sat May 25, 2013 8:25 am", i guess.

Quote:

Are future upgrades/updates in fact just subsequent writes on the atmega chip(s)?

not sure anyone is working on this any longer; but, in theory, yes.

Quote:

Any body knows a cheap supplier for custom frontplates in the EU?

if frontplates = aluminium: no.
midirobot
@mxmxmx

hello:)
i saw you realise some version of this project,are you satisfied by it?
cause i just discover it and it interess me a lot for my rack.
for now i am using a LXR to do the job,but this seems to be nice alternative.
mxmxmx
midirobot wrote:

i saw you realise some version of this project,are you satisfied by it?
cause i just discover it and it interess me a lot for my rack.
for now i am using a LXR to do the job,but this seems to be nice alternative.

true, there's this thread about it. as to the Satisfaction ... well, it was more of a side-project, i'd say, but it turned out quite ok. useful for dialing in clock patterns. it has 4 CV inputs and one DAC output, so it's a bit more flexible than the trigger-happy one; and it's ARM-based, which doesn't hurt either.
midirobot
thanks for the reply

i read the thread on temps utile,interesant module!

so if i get it right it s quite the same as trigger happy with
cv control that can be assigned and some more improvement,right?
but found anything how much pattern can be create
and how you can modify them with the cv,
etc...
if you have more information should be kind from you smile
makro
mxmxmx wrote:

there's two atmega328s involved; so nano would work. the pcbs that were floating around didn't use any arduino boards.

Thanks for reply.
I'd just use the single board to conveniently write to the atmegas via usb.

Quote:

that would be diablojoy's post on "Sat May 25, 2013 8:25 am", i guess.

Thanks. The set of files i downloaded contained a 5U panel design, so i was a little confused.

Quote:

not sure anyone is working on this any longer; but, in theory, yes.

I was thinking about working on it, no more than changing patterns in the first place.

Quote:

if frontplates = aluminium: no.

Don't care if it's acrylic, epoxy or wood either. Right now, i'm caught by the wood idea. That's something i could do on my own with likely decent results.
Recently, i cut down an old oak, so i have plenty of raw material at hand smile

Thanks for all the answers so far, i'll seek some help for starting with arduino at a nearby electronics school. Seems like i have everything i need to get this party started nanners
mxmxmx
midirobot wrote:

so if i get it right it s quite the same as trigger happy with
cv control that can be assigned and some more improvement,right?
but found anything how much pattern can be create
and how you can modify them with the cv,
etc...

yep, it's fairly similar with some improvements. i've ditched everything preset patterns; the code is written from scratch. take a look at the github page, there's some rudimentary information there; somewhat dispersed admittedly.

but then it's quite straightforward, much like a clock distributor with various settings. you can't create specific patterns per se; what you can do is select various clock modes (division, logic, random, euclidian, etc), and adjust some/the respective parameters. the 6 channels are independent, but you can make them interact by using the logic modes. assigning CVs: that depends. but basically it does what it says: the incoming CV will change the value of whatever parameter the CV input is assigned to; some parameters are on/off only, so in those cases CV works more like a on/off switch.

makro wrote:
The set of files i downloaded contained a 5U panel design, so i was a little confused.

oh, i see. well, there never was a euro-pcb. the one by diablojoy is small enough though, so that'll work fine. a few pages back in the thread i think there's pictures of some euro-builds using that board (and probably even some fpd files? -- i seem to have lost mine). if acrylic is ok, formulor.de is always an option.
makro
mxmxmx wrote:

oh, i see. well, there never was a euro-pcb. the one by diablojoy is small enough though, so that'll work fine. a few pages back in the thread i think there's pictures of some euro-builds using that board (and probably even some fpd files? -- i seem to have lost mine). if acrylic is ok, formulor.de is always an option.

Hi, thanks for the tip. I already ordered the PCBs (bilex 1mm) and now i am torn between formulor's acrylic or plywood. I tend to acrylic, already know it from my own DIY turing kits. I even copied a turing extension module, because it was out of stock back then. A german guy made the acrylic panel for me, but he no more does so. On the other hand, plywood would be exclusive and rad too...

EDIT: Additional question: should i buy atmegas with included bootloader (16mhz) or without?

Thanks,
makro
mxmxmx
makro wrote:

EDIT: Additional question: should i buy atmegas with included bootloader (16mhz) or without?

i'd say don't bother, one of the atmegas needs to be run off the internal 8MHz osc; so you'd have to re-set the fuses anyways.
midirobot
thanks a lot mxmxmx for the explanation,it s make it more clear!!

as i see you have no more board maybe i will make an order to osh park,
if somebody want to join for a board tell me.

or tell me if think to make a batch was thinkin to take you a terminal tedium also.
makro
mxmxmx wrote:
makro wrote:

i'd say don't bother, one of the atmegas needs to be run off the internal 8MHz osc; so you'd have to re-set the fuses anyways.

Thanks smile
I'll best get away using chips without a bootloader.

One more question after looking through the BOM: Which LEDs to use for the trigger outputs? 3mm diameter is clear, but with which forward current? 3,2V or 2,4V? Can you please supply a mouser link (since i order most of the components there).

The knobs on your pic of the Terminal Tedium module (in its DIY thread) are exactly what i am looking for to refine my Greyscale mockup of my Furthrrrr Generator. Would you mind to post your source, please?

I have problems getting Formulor to accept my SVG file (exported from Front Panel Designer). Any tips, please?
Schaeffer is much more expensive (aluminium) but the FPD file from this thread would work out-of-the-box.

This info should be all i'd need to order parts, pcb and panels thumbs up

Cheers,
makro
mxmxmx
midirobot wrote:

as i see you have no more board maybe i will make an order to osh park,
if somebody want to join for a board tell me.

or tell me if think to make a batch was thinkin to take you a terminal tedium also.

the boards are < 100mm so you'd get a better deal using itead et al.

if you're not in a hurry, i guess i'd just do it myself though; i had a few more requests. as for terminal tedium, a new batch should make it here fairly soon.

makro wrote:
One more question after looking through the BOM: Which LEDs to use for the trigger outputs? 3mm diameter is clear, but with which forward current? 3,2V or 2,4V? Can you please supply a mouser link (since i order most of the components there).

The knobs on your pic of the Terminal Tedium module (in its DIY thread) are exactly what i am looking for to refine my Greyscale mockup of my Furthrrrr Generator. Would you mind to post your source, please?

I have problems getting Formulor to accept my SVG file (exported from Front Panel Designer). Any tips, please?
Schaeffer is much more expensive (aluminium) but the FPD file from this thread would work out-of-the-box.

knobs: do you mean the large ones? or the small ones? anyways, the big ones are from musikding.de, part # rikno18sw (for 6.3mm/solid shaft) ; the small ones from uk-electronic.de, part # KMK10B (T18)

don't know about the LEDs, i've used yellow ones, because that's what i had. so more like 2.4V i guess. re formulor: all i know it can be a pita; make sure everything complies with their rules, i guess.
makro
mxmxmx wrote:

don't know about the LEDs, i've used yellow ones, because that's what i had. so more like 2.4V i guess. re formulor: all i know it can be a pita; make sure everything complies with their rules, i guess.

So far, i would have to hack the FPD file from this thread almost to death to follow formulors rules, so i decided to f*ck it and use floorboard (german: parkett). It has some tough and beautyful finish, consists of rugged woodsorts (oak) and is 2,5mm in thickness - just perfect for DIY panels.

Thanks again thumbs up
midirobot
@mxmxmx,

thanks for the tips i didn t looked to size of the board wink
so i m gone wait for the new batch you can already reserve two of this and a terminal tedium board.

see you soon.
mxmxmx
midirobot wrote:

so i m gone wait for the new batch you can already reserve two of this and a terminal tedium board.

no problem, i'll post in the respective threads when they get it.
makro
Hi,

now i got the arduino uno, the ide software (arduino 1.01) and the files.
I included the 7SegDisplay Libraries, updated the boards.txt file of the IDE and added the 7Seg bootloader files to the bootloaders/optiboot/ directory inside the IDE tree too. I got my breadboard wired up to the Uno R3 using the 16MHz crystal and standard wiring.
I read some tutorials and if i'm not a complete nut, the following plan should succeed to burn the atmega328p for the display:

1. upload the ArduinoISP sketch to the UNO R3
2. select the 7SegDisplay board in the "tools" menu (IDE)
3. execute "upload firmware" from the "tools" menu (IDE)

here i maybe have to select my "Breadboard Arduino (Arduino UNO as ISP)" board (customized for breadboard setup) from "tools..." menu before i execute the next step?
(Please help)

4. upload the 7SegDisplay sketch (without removing the atmega328 on the UNO R3 board)

after that, i should have a working display microcontroller, right?

To burn the main triggerhappy chip, i'd just pull out the atmega chip on the UNO and insert a fresh 328P there, and just upload the triggerhappy sketch. I inserted a 28p ZIF socket for convenience.

Would this likely work?
For a complete noob, which are the common pitfalls?

Thanks for help thumbs up
makro
So i had to burn the chips using the ArduinoISP variant and it worked flawlessly, to the point where i had to burn the bootloader. Arduino IDE (avrdude) gave a rant about 0xFF != 0x07 on verify, but the write seemed to got through. After that i burned the 7SegDisplay sketch and lucky me got the PCBs delivered today too smile

There are some minor mismatches between silkscreen and mouser BOM, i am missing the voltage regulators, the rotary encoders don't fit on one side, because the leg spacing is bigger, my on/off switches are too big and there seem to be more SMT resistors on the PCB than in the BOM. Most all of these quirks are resolvable easily. Keep you updated about my build.
So far i say thanks to all that helped me getting this started thumbs up

EDIT: Sorry, i didn't mean the BOM but the "mouser project" cart somebody posted around page 10-12 in this thread. The BOM is correct.

Cheers,
makro
makro
Finally made it.

It was a PITA most of the time, that's why i'm going to give some tips how to burn the atmega328p chips using an arduino UNO R3 and breadboard with arduino IDE (1.0.1):

1. Wire up the breadboard with an Atmega328p, like in the "using Arduino UNO to burn atmega328" tutorials, install the IDE, the code and the 3rd party libs as well as the modified bootloader from this thread. Update the boards.txt file to include board configurations for the two bootloaders in "standalone" (breadboard) mode.

2. The key to success was to burn the bootloaders using the breadboard and uploading the sketches with the UNO directly. I used a ZIF Socket on the UNO for swapping things. It was a matter of creating and switching board configurations.

3. Upload sketches afterwards: Pop out the Atmega on the UNO board, insert the triggerhappy or display chip and upload the prepared sketches. Didn't work for some reason in breadboard mode, with a variety of avrdude errors.

Hope this helps someone.

Problems i have encountered so far:
1. On the first two tries of connecting the module to the eurorack power bus, the display digits where pushed to the right by 1 step. For example at start it was showing 5---, and then like "EGAT" instead of "GATE" and so on. When connecting the module the third time, the display was working correctly. So far i only had time to do these three tests, so next time who knows if it's offset or not hmmm.....

2. The external sync switch position doesn't work. No pulses at the outputs.

3. The encoder sometimes doesn't advance. On tempo change: 128 then one detent to the right, one more, and after the third it jumps to 131.

4. The outputs are assigned from bottom to top. So if i change outA, the lowest output signal/lead is adjusting to the settings. top down.

Otherwise, the unit is working fine. If somebody can give me a hint where to look to resolve these problems, it would help me a lot thumbs up
makro
It's me again.

Now i managed to resolve all the bugs and built two Triggerhappy modules for me and a friend with wooden panels (see below). There will be also one spare or maybe two spare modules for sale, because i had four PCBs and component sets. Feel free to contact me if you want one.

At the same time, i publish the updated code with some enhancements to mxmxmx's modded 1.04 version (therefore called 1.05):

1. Setting the Tempo is now BPM based, no more based on frequency. This makes the rotary encoder work much more precise when setting tempo.

2. Re-enabled "Array Mode" (patterns)

3. One thing that you should know: When switching from internal to external clock sync the first time after powering up, the trigger LED's are "always on", while the trigger signals come out as defined by menu or defaults.
Workaround: Just switch back to internal clock and then again to external clock sync, the problem disappears.

Dogma
Are there any video demos of what the final module ended up being capable of? I mean the first video made me very interested - theres so many projects around im getting them all muddled up but this one id really like to see a demo of smile
makro
Hi,

i didn't have the time yet to do a video, but i planned to make at least one.
Might take a couple of days, since i have to assemble two more modules. I was playing a lot with TH today and i lost myself playing around with its options, seems not to get boring too quickly smile

Keep you updated.
makro
Now here's the final version, fixed some minor bugs, especially when switching from ext to int clock mode after startup of the module.
There's also a Reset function now, which resets the setting to default mode, so you don't have to switch off power.

I also modded the hardware encoder pins with two 0.1uF caps for hardware debouncing, which makes it feel more natural/precise.
BPM Display goes up and down -/+1 when clocked externally, but the timing of the audio is quite good and stable.

Now, up to building and extending "Temps Utile" smile
yoho
I have some bugfixes and an addition for a different display. Should I post it here or somewhere on a github?
makro
Great :tu:

Please post it here, i have to install the arduino software on my new laptop to write a chip and send it to my man in vienna for testing (since i don't have a modular system any more). I could also build one last module, since i got all the needed parts and a PCB. ...but so little time.

Anyway, thanks for contributing and keeping that neat little project alive!
May i ask you for a list of fixed bugs?

EDIT: Maybe you can send the display additions to mxmxmx for publishing them on the triggerhappy github page?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 16 of 17