MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Macbook Pro to Canopus ADVC-100 to MVIP problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Macbook Pro to Canopus ADVC-100 to MVIP problem
Ciciliani
Hi,

I got a Canopus ADVC-100 video interface in order to convert video from my Macbook Pro (April 2010 model) to composite, so that I can feed it into a Dave Jones MVIP.

I can't get it to work. When I open FCP I can see that it detects an output device on the FireWire Port. In QuickTime it even shows the name "ADVC-100" as an input device but with both softwares nothing is coming out.

On the internet, somebody mentioned that there is a FireWire 800 problem with Canopus, without further elaborating on what the problem is. I'm using an adapter to go from Firewire 800 on my Mac to 400 on the Canopus.

I also have an old PowerBook G4 and I managed to play from FCP to the Canopus from that machine. But it was also unstable. Sometimes it played through it, other times not.

Does anybody have experience with this? Help would be much appreciated!

A second question: which softwares support FireWire for video output except for FCP and Adobe Premiere? I was hoping that lighter programs like Quicktime or VLC could also output through it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks!!!
lizlarsen
I had tons of trouble getting my Canopus ADVC-300 to output properly from Adobe Premiere. But this was on a PC. Installing a Firewire card with a different chipset fixed the issues for me.
johnnywoods
Make sure you have the right sequence settings for playback. Video output devices tend to be very picky about what they will playback. For the canopus, I'm pretty sure you need standard NTSC or PAL DV files. If you are using footage from some other source (HD camera or h264, etc...) make sure you convert it to the proper format first.
Ciciliani
Hey Johnny,

and that should be 720x576 @ 25 fps, right?
lizlarsen
PAL DV is 720x576 @ 25 fps, but it's also the encoding format too -- make sure you have PAL DV selected in your project settings when you start a project in Final Cut.
johnnywoods
Yes, codec is very important. Your sequence setting should be: 720x576, pixel aspect ratio of PAL CCIR 601, field dominance lower, timebase 25, compressor set to DV_PAL

Some video output devices supply custom codecs for your editing package, but I don't believe the Canopus is one of those.
Ciciliani
Thanks for all your advice, guys,
I tried it with exactly the settings you mentioned, but it doesn't work. I suppose it has to do with the FireWire 800->400 issue that Canopus seems to struggle with (it works with the same settings on my old PowerBook).

All I want to do is to be able to play some video material from my MacBook Pro to my MVIP. This is much harder than I thought it would be since the newer MacBooks don't support composite adapters anymore. The Canopus also doesn't seem to work.

Does anybody have experience with VGA->composite converters? Do they provide decent quality? Are there some specially recommendable ones (preferably compact and not too expensive).

That's the last option I can see...
lizlarsen
VGA -> Composite converters are what is known as "Scan Converters". They can be of varying quality, I have one made by Extron which I purchased off of eBay for $90 which is very nice. Less expensive versions can be found readily for around $50.

It won't be as ideal as playing directly from the Canopus, though.
i.m.klif
yes, lars is absolutely right.

scan converters allow you to output anything that is on your screen in any software. that is very nice as you can use any of many free programs to play your content. i believe you might use some programming language. most of modern programming languages have some sort of movie playback capability. you can even use sequencers to play video synced to timeline if you wish so.

quality on cheap scan converters is not ideal, but it might be perfectly allright depending on your needs and esthetics. i bought few chinese ones for cca 20 euros each. they work good enough. i used them to display things on tv's and video monitors in an installation.

some of the scan converters can zoom in and show only part of the screen. if you find ones that zoom 200%, you can daisy chain up to 4 of them, and configure each to show a different area (quadrant) of single computer screen. this is definitely the cheapest way to get 4 different video outputs from single computer.

Also, as they don't depend on any drivers or software, they are usually very stable.

klif
Ciciliani
Klif and Lars,
thank you very much. So that's definitely the next thing I'm going to try. Thanks for your valuable advice!
Marko
Ciciliani
Klif and Lars,
thank you very much. So that's definitely the next thing I'm going to try. Thanks for your valuable advice!
Marko
barto
the cheap scan converter i have also allows you to output your vga signal to composite, s video, and vga at the same time. very handy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1