MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Post pics of your Wiard!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Post pics of your Wiard!
mfirman
Here it is at the AHMW 2007 meet (that's Cary Roberts pictured
in front of it). It's nestled amongst various Wiard and Blacet Frac
modules and a FutureRetro Revolution.
slow_riot
mfirman wrote:
I did bring it to AHMW a few times over the
years. Not sure there were any specific Giorgio Moroder
tunes done on it at these times, but there were probably
some nice Moroder-like sounds emanating from it I'm sure.
It turns out that often, when I bring it out to sync meets
(such as KnobCon and AHMW), a lot of folks don't really
know what they are seeing/hearing. There is often a complete
lack of interest (everyone wants to see/hear the latest
Eurorack module, or Buchla, or Arp clone). The same thing
has happened with the Serge when I've dragged it out. I think
folks just don't know what it's all about. I've stopped
displaying it in public for this reason. Nothing wrong with
Euro, Buchla, or Arp, but I was a little taken aback by
the profound disinterest.

Music is a rare flower that not everyone appreciates! Crowds are boring anyway.
fluxmonkey
mfirman wrote:
I did bring it to AHMW a few times over the
years. Not sure there were any specific Giorgio Moroder
tunes done on it at these times, but there were probably
some nice Moroder-like sounds emanating from it I'm sure.
It turns out that often, when I bring it out to sync meets
(such as KnobCon and AHMW), a lot of folks don't really
know what they are seeing/hearing. There is often a complete
lack of interest (everyone wants to see/hear the latest
Eurorack module, or Buchla, or Arp clone). The same thing
has happened with the Serge when I've dragged it out. I think
folks just don't know what it's all about. I've stopped
displaying it in public for this reason. Nothing wrong with
Euro, Buchla, or Arp, but I was a little taken aback by
the profound disinterest.

maybe not... my experience playing with both your wiard and serge systems at AHMW were key inputs to my decisions to invest in these instruments. much appreciated!
mfirman
To be a bit more fair about this fluxmonkey,
AHMW has always had folks that showed an
interest in all sorts of different, classic, musical,
or DIY devices.

However, I had a table at KnobCon two
years in a row, where I barely saw
anyone touch the Serge and Buchla Thunder
the first year, and the Wiard the second year.
The only folks that came by to look were people
I knew. I really don't come to these events
to draw attention, but I was really disappointed
in how locked in and closed minded folks in
the synth world have become (now I really sound
like an old fart - which I am, of course).

There is nothing wrong with Dance oriented music,
Drums and Bass, Techno, EDM or whatever the
styles are, nor is there anything wrong with Eurorack
modules or beat boxes. I love all of that stuff. I just
don't understand the strange focus on a particular
style of music, or a particular module format. It just
saddened me a bit.

Okay, the lament is over.
jdkee
Michael,

I noticed you have a Tempest and external sequencer by your Wiard. How have you integrated them into the Wiard or are they separate entities?
mfirman
jdkee wrote:
Michael,

I noticed you have a Tempest and external sequencer by your Wiard. How have you integrated them into the Wiard or are they separate entities?

Well, I've done various experiments with the Wiard and
a number of different devices. I was using a Kenton Pro
Solo to get the MIDI clock from the Tempest and produce
pulses (gates) for use in the Wiard. The Pro Solo has since died,
but I have other devices that do a similar job. The MAQ
sequencer can be used straight out since it has CV/Gate outputs
for each row. I can also clock the MAQ with the Tempest.
flts
I've been actually thinking about building some kind of fancy clock / trigger source to go with the Wiard. We were doing some impromptu modular jams with a friend just a week or two ago, and it turns out my Wiard rack triggered by Mutable Instruments Grids provides pretty awesome Autechresque FM percussion. Tempted to put together an eurorack frame under the Wiard, and build one of those programmable clock generators because of that.
plord
flts wrote:
I've been actually thinking about building some kind of fancy clock / trigger source to go with the Wiard. We were doing some impromptu modular jams with a friend just a week or two ago, and it turns out my Wiard rack triggered by Mutable Instruments Grids provides pretty awesome Autechresque FM percussion. Tempted to put together an eurorack frame under the Wiard, and build one of those programmable clock generators because of that.

Why go to a different voltage format though? Metalbox has you covered. Pulse Divider, Gate Sequencer, Sequential Switch, throw in a Blacet Binary Zone or two, patch in the cross faders from your Envelator. That's a lot of gate/clock power right there. If you need a clock that can speed up, slow down, and have variable gate time, throw in a Blacet VCO. Right? Octave up/down to double/half the clock, CV to pulse width for variable gate.

[only fair to add: I have a modded-for-15V Flame Clockwork and a Klee, so I have other more trivial options for gate and clock madness, but still...]
flts
plord wrote:
Why go to a different voltage format though? Metalbox has you covered. Pulse Divider, Gate Sequencer, Sequential Switch, throw in a Blacet Binary Zone or two, patch in the cross faders from your Envelator. That's a lot of gate/clock power right there. If you need a clock that can speed up, slow down, and have variable gate time, throw in a Blacet VCO. Right? Octave up/down to double/half the clock, CV to pulse width for variable gate.
[only fair to add: I have a modded-for-15V Flame Clockwork and a Klee, so I have other more trivial options for gate and clock madness, but still...]

Yep, that's a good point, and one that I've seriously considered myself... I still have quite a bit of power to spare in the Hinton PSU I use to power the Wiard, so would be nice to use that, and I do like the idea of more loose panel layouts for ergonomic reasons.

The first problem is, quite surprisingly, price - as about the whole Frac-land is USA based, exchange rates + shipping + VAT are against me whether with buying an empty rack or modules, unless I find something used in EU at the right time when I can afford it. It might be actually more economic to DIY an Euro subrack with decent +-12V supply.

The second problem is that Euro does have all kinds of nice extra modules and DIY kits like fancy algorithmic / digital pattern generation that Frac seems to be lacking on. Edit: I know there's Binary Zone and you can patch awesome things with clock dividers, seq switches, etc., what I specifically mean here is programmable / probabilistic / euclidean type microcontroller based stuff. I have to admit I've eyed the Metalbox/CGS stuff and BZ with great interest as well though, and it would make deciding on a module setup much easier!

Third option I'm considering is to just buy a boatload of CGS and other PCBs and build a +-15V powerable utility rack (whether Euro, Frac or 1U panel size) of gate and trigger generation and manipulation, mixing and VCAs. Most of cool Metalbox trigger and logic modules seem to be based on CGS designs / PCBs anyway. However, it isn't like my DIY backlog isn't big enough as is already... Dead Banana
slow_riot
Digital pattern generator / audio noise source being (slowly) thought about right now. I want it to be equally capable of both so that might mean some compromises from both sides.

I'll probably PM you for some advice when I get deeper into the design, I never used proper clocking when playing, just heavily modulated envelopes, varying time signatures etc, so it would be interesting to see what your needs are.

Blacet gets cheap if you do kits btw. And euro is sure going to have less compromises that are inherent in a dedicated instrument, say if you wanted drum modules.
elmerfudd
Its big,its blue and its almost DONE........
chamomileshark
very nice smile
tron23
Modcan A and Wiard! w00t
elmerfudd
Sort of east coast mid-west coast synthesis.....Muff needs a 6u format section....
johnnywoods
Finished up my case last weekend, so it's picture time!

jdkee
Wow, is that 9 modules wide? And what modules?
johnnywoods
jdkee wrote:
Wow, is that 9 modules wide? And what modules?

Yup!

2 sequantizers, waveform cities, borgs, mixolators, wogglebugs
3 vcos, envelators
1 filter, Chaquo
311 and 311c

I bought a 6 module system and then got a deal on another 12... was planning on selling 6 or so, but once I saw all 18 together I fell in love :-)
numan7
Lotsa Lovewe're not worthy utterly splendid system, johnnywoods!

cheers
Joxer96
Beautiful, johnnywoods!

What's the white unit directly below the 300s?
DomMorley
Joxer96 wrote:

What's the white unit directly below the 300s?

Looks like one of these:

https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=komplex-sequencer
jdkee
That is a beautiful system. Any tracks made with it?
johnnywoods
jdkee wrote:
That is a beautiful system. Any tracks made with it?

I have most of an album done, about 1/3 was made with Wiard, and the rest with Serge. It'll probably be a couple months before it's ready, but pm me and I can send you a few tracks ;-)

And yes, that's a Koma Komplex. Integrates beautifully with the 300.
thee ghost ov n_phay
Ross Lamond made me a nice case for my Wiard and DIY modules, here it is:

jdkee
It is amazing to see the organic growth come together with these systems, whether 300 or 1200 or both. In proper cases to support the style and format. Who says Euro has to have all the fun?
elmerfudd
So, got tired of using all my jumbles/ adapter cables to have 311C hooked to the modcan. The 1200s showed up on BST and with a little work got a banana enhancement and a stand alone box. Power is on Wiard standard din and has an umbilical to mta plug so its on the modcan rails. Like the aesthetic, if the graphic spacing would allow it, I would redrill all the 300 modules for nanners....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5