MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Marble Physics - Tilt knobs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Author Marble Physics - Tilt knobs
Mercutio
Hi,

i bought the last one available from the first batch.

It looks amazing but it's more complex than i tought. d'oh!

I don't understand all the konbs hmmm..... . Are they attenuateur (0 counter clokwise, dull clockwise) in the both mode (unuipolar/bipolar) or it's polarized ?

What's the function of the X/Y knobs ? i tyhinked it reduce the range but the 4walls looks to be fix (very high and very low , if i put signal on a pitch ...more than 10-12 octave)
__ag
Hello!

i can understand that at first sight it looks stange but it has a very simple working method once you get used to it.

so some overall assumptions:
All knobs are manual controls when no CV is in
If CV is in than they all act as attenuators (left = 0, right = full CV)

uni and bipolar defines which CV input you're using, if a unipolar or bipolar one, all 0+5V or -5+5V

tip: if you're using a pot as a manual control (no CV) the switch should be in unipolar for the full knob range, if the switch is set to bipolar you're only using the top half of the knob range, the knob by itself is always unipolar, so you'll never reach the bottom half dedicated to the negative voltages.

moving on, X & Y TILT Functions
X & Y are Tilt functions, these are the ones tilting the "marble tray", defining the tilt angle of the "tray".
you don't change the wall size.

Next, the outputs can be both uni or bipolar between 0+5V or -5+5V respectively.
so yes if you set it to bipolar and use it for a pitch you'll get 10 octaves or more depending on the VCO calibration quality...

hope this helps!

all the very best
andre

Mercutio
Thanks André, it helps me a lot.

i still have one question.

TILT : ... you talk about the angle...i think it was to " impulse the ball" so it's not a trig i have to put in but well a kind of offset (= Knob) or LFO or Eg ... ?

I don't have an oscilloscope with X/Y... do you know one which is compatible audio unit ?

PS: the red color is really beautiful !
__ag
Hello,

The X & Y Tilt defines the inclination angle in both X and Y vectors, where 0 is No Inclination or angle, this can be set by centering the Pot to mid point.
Also if knob is rotated to Left ball will slide to x =0V, if rotated right ball will slide to xMax or x = +5V
same for Y tilt.

the "impulse the ball" function is the BUMP function, here you can set the Strength to "impulse the ball". And then trigger the function with either the Gate input or the push-switch.

about last question, do you mean one oscilloscope that is compatible with voltages and audio? i think most are, i know our ADDAC205 is:
http://addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac205-dual-oscillosc ope-awg

all the very best
andre
Entrainer
Oi, we are half way to a manual!

Just got this installed last night and went through
a late night test. (nice work BTW on this and the 601).

What voltage does the lock/gate input react to and
with what results?

The elasticity is kind of a curvature, right? Like
gravity towards a wall?

What is a good starting point for a long evolving, lasting
run of modulation?

THX-
mDang
We need more videos about this crazy module.... wink
HueMonContact
This is getting interesting... Enjoy the show!
this module has some really sweet functions!
Mercutio
I really enjoyed the module last night with the explanation... not easy to understand but a lot of good results yesterday.

I like the gate button !
I like the bump out.... a kind of burst genrator...with fast EG (Cwejman) = Guinness ftw!
I like the direction ray and the strenght/speed/elastcicity...

Thought, pratically, the relation between these three...are very frustrating

A manual will be grateful !

i think it's my crasiest module with phonogene, rené and geiger
__ag
Hello!

Great to hear that i helped!

and yes, it's a tricky module to control, like in real-life if you have a real marble on a tray... But it's exactly that combination that can generate endless modulations...

My favorite configuration is something like this:
1.connect already modulated lfos, like the Lissajous Curves outputs to the X & Y tilts CV ins
2.connect an attenuated and offset cv (something between +4 to +5v) to the elasticity
3. connect an attenuated cv (something between 0 +1v) to the speed cv, i prefer very very slow speeds with small spikes here and there...
4. connect a random gate at very slow speeds to the bump gate input

and let it run endlessly...

going through some other questions:
the elasticity is easier to explain if you think of it like being the wall elasticity or the wall material, changing from concrete to a trampoline wall.

and i forgot to mention the X LOCK feature before,
this locks the X position, meaning that the X CV Out freezes in that voltage. Once the gate goes down it starts moving again.

And all gates activate at +2.5v.

All the very best
Andre
Entrainer
Thanks AG, this really helped. Today's mini-session was much more
musical/interesting. I had some cross-patching happening between
the 601 and 503, using the 601's band envelope outs.

I was using bi-polar mode and faster speeds at first and it was
tapping out to quickly or bouncing at light speed.
0netwo0netwo
__ag wrote:
Hello,

The X & Y Tilt defines the inclination angle in both X and Y vectors, where 0 is No Inclination or angle, this can be set by centering the Pot to mid point.
Also if knob is rotated to Left ball will slide to x =0V, if rotated right ball will slide to xMax or x = +5V
same for Y tilt.

the "impulse the ball" function is the BUMP function, here you can set the Strength to "impulse the ball". And then trigger the function with either the Gate input or the push-switch.

about last question, do you mean one oscilloscope that is compatible with voltages and audio? i think most are, i know our ADDAC205 is:

all the very best
andre

wouldnt rotating left also go to -5V 0v at midpoint and then +5V if it was switched to bipolar (either x or y axis)??

and where is the "midpoint" if you have CV inputted into either x or y with them switched to bipolar?
ADDAC System
0netwo0netwo wrote:
__ag wrote:
Hello,

same for Y tilt.

all the very best
andre

wouldnt rotating left also go to -5V 0v at midpoint and then +5V if it was switched to bipolar (either x or y axis)??

and where is the "midpoint" if you have CV inputted into either x or y with them switched to bipolar?

Hi 0netwo0netwo! If the outputs are switched to bipolar then yes, rotating the knob will essentially go from -5V to +5V. Your second question isn't very specific: I presume that you mean that the CV input functionality is switched to bipolar, right? Midpoint is at 12 o'clock.

I highly suggest you take a look at this video, made specifically for the ADDAC503. It goes through all the parameters in much detail.

0netwo0netwo
eek! i missed the part where you explained about the pot defaulting to unipolar

so

if the switch is set to unipolar you get full knob range manually but if you add CV then you have to switch to bipolar in order to get full knob range "manually"??

ive watched that video so many times and i still dont get it, i mean i do but then i dont LOL Dead Banana

regardless, its still a fun module to try to understand

and i did send you an email, still waiting on the response to it thumbs up

have a nice day AG
ADDAC System
0netwo0netwo wrote:
eek! i missed the part where you explained about the pot defaulting to unipolar

so

if the switch is set to unipolar you get full knob range manually but if you add CV then you have to switch to bipolar in order to get full knob range "manually"??

The knob does not default to unipolar. Let me put it this way: the knob's position determines the motion direction (tilt left or right, tilt upwards or downwards) and how fast it happens (respecting the Speed setting as well). At 12 o'clock there is no tilt/no motion. That is always the case.

The switch next to the parameter determines what the incoming CV is recognized as, unipolar or bipolar. When an LFO is plugged, the knob acts as an attenuator to the incoming signal. So the result depends on what the incoming signal is, what the switch position is etc.

Also, keep in mind that there's a switch for the output CV which can either be unipolar or bipolar. This is independent of the incoming CV and allows allows the ADDAC503 to be used on any type of situation, whether you want to use it with 0-5V or -5V to +5V.

Hope this clears up your questions!
0netwo0netwo
ok i think maybe i was confusing the XY knobs with the other settings

X and Y start from mid point and all the other knobs start at full CCW
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System  
Page 1 of 1