MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Introducing ADDAC803 Quadraphonic Spatializer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC803 Quadraphonic Spatializer
Metamusik
I'm starting to get more and more into some serious EAM, Concrete etc. and this module looks like the next logical step, Quadra more or less being the standard for electronic compositions since Stockhausen.

I'm eagerly awaiting it and I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how the development is going.
__ag
Hello,

Although the module development is completely finished and the reactions to this module were very positive i had very few inquires for it and never took the step to make a first batch!

i'm still offering the "beta user" discount for this one,
so if a few people step in i'll get it rolling!

all the very best
andre
Metamusik
Sure, I'm interested. Do you have any specs and what not? Right now I'm waiting for a bigger case but if the only way the module will see the light of day is to join the beta, then that's what I'll do.
cyklopljud
I'm interested, any more specs?
__ag
Hello!

About ADDAC803 specs:
This is a hybrid module where all the algorithm is running on a digital MCU while all the audio path is fully analog.

4 High quality VCA's are used to route the necessary audio amplitude to each of the channels independently, meaning that each VCA CV input is connected to the digital side being controlled by the algorithm.

The algorithm is based on the VBPA concept (Vector Based Amplitude Panning) this is the most common algorithm behind most digital spatialization techniques applied to 4 fixed position outputs (speakers).
googling this will show many sources of info, here's a detailed academic paper:
http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2001/isbn9512255324/article1.pdf

Features:
Polar and cartesian modes.

double stereo to be used as a double panner.

4 CV outputs with the algorithm outputs. These are buffers of the same CVs that are used to control the VCA's. 0 to +5v

2 CV outputs with X & Y position or radius & angle, 0 to +5v
depending on the polar or cartesian setting, if polar these 2 CV's will output the cartesian values and vice-versa.
So they work as polar to cartesian converter and vice-versa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uros5bufLJI

2 extra CV outputs, titled "Filter" + & - , normal and inverted to be used for series filtering or reverb addition depending on the defined position ( ex. the further the sound source is from the center: the more reverb would to be applied; or lowers a lowpass filter frequency) This increases the perception of a distant sound.

hope this helps!

any other particular question?

all the very best
andre

an updated from panel below:
Paranormal Patroler
Andre, I'd also be interested in beta testing. Would you be so kind as to tell me more about this procedure?

Also, beta testing this module => need at least four monitors, right? help

Plus, how much HP is this?
letitbleep
im pretty new to the modular world, and my system is still in it's beginning stages, but i am super interested in this module, in fact im sort of planning the development of the rest of my system around it, so i'd love to do whatever i can to bring it to life.
Paranormal Patroler
hyper It's getting closer now. Any one else getting one of these?
beyourdog
Interesting, that s exactly the module i wanted to make 2 years ago, I sent it to our tech who was not too hot about it...
...though it included a joystick as well for direct handling of the quadraphonie...
Paranormal Patroler
The space reserved for it is right next to my Choices joystick. thumbs up
It's so obvious, you just cannot avoid trying it out.

I'm quite curious about the CV out for the reverb though. That's another obvious thing to try out as well.
sandyb
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
hyper It's getting closer now. Any one else getting one of these?

yup!

looking forward to it.

i do need to get 2 more speakers to utilise it fully but i think it will be a really useful module in a 2 speaker setup anyway.
Paranormal Patroler
I have been pondering on the same vain myself; what use does a quad panning have if not as a stepping stone to acquiring a four speaker setup?
Thankfully it doubles up as a duo stereo panner as well.

Have you any idea of the workings of some of the weirder aspects of the module? I am referring to the settings/cv outs/ filter outs. To be honest, their use eludes me.

On the other hand, I have been fighting my ignorance in regards of the use of a typical stereo console in a quad speaker system. Let me know if you (or anyone else for that matter) is interested in discussing this subject further, as it surely will come in handy.
bj_gzp
I'll get one to replace my VCAmatrix.
I'll abuse it for FX routing (these filter +/- outs sold me) and it's nice to have in case i should ever get a chance to rock on a quadrophonic system...
Cheers,
Björn
Paranormal Patroler
bj_gzp wrote:
I'll get one to replace my VCAmatrix.
I'll abuse it for FX routing (these filter +/- outs sold me) and it's nice to have in case i should ever get a chance to rock on a quadrophonic system...
Cheers,
Björn

w00t w00t w00t
__ag
Hello all,

Some news about the ADDAC803,
Glad to tell that the 1st prototype is up and running!
hoping that in 4-6 weeks the first pre-orders will be finished!

http://addacsystem.com/product/addac800-series/addac803-quadraphonic-s patializer

all the very best

andre
bj_gzp
SlayerBadger! It's motherfucking bacon yo
Another beauty for my audio mixing skiff love
BJ
Paranormal Patroler
w00t w00t w00t
KNYST
FUCK! SlayerBadger! applause
Noha
I've worked with spatialized sound in MAX/MSP and this module is very exciting! However I can't tell what some of the outputs are used for. How are CV Outs 1-4, X/Y CV Outs and Filter +- used? Is there a manual or a description anywhere? I can't find it on the website link.
Paranormal Patroler
Noha wrote:
I've worked with spatialized sound in MAX/MSP and this module is very exciting! However I can't tell what some of the outputs are used for. How are CV Outs 1-4, X/Y CV Outs and Filter +- used? Is there a manual or a description anywhere? I can't find it on the website link.

Check the fourth post from the top by Andre. He explains a few things.

PS: is that your photo in your avatar?
Noha
ah yes! just the info I was looking for, thanks. my glasses must have obscured the view. this module looks excellent, I now desire one immensely. are you aware of what CVs the Filter +- output? It says they are "extra." Are they tied to the room size or X/Y? It still seems unclear.

and yes, the avatar photo is a self portrait nodnod
Paranormal Patroler
Noha wrote:
ah yes! just the info I was looking for, thanks. my glasses must have obscured the view. this module looks excellent, I now desire one immensely. are you aware of what CVs the Filter +- output? It says they are "extra." Are they tied to the room size or X/Y? It still seems unclear.

2 extra CV outputs, titled "Filter" + & - , normal and inverted to be used for series filtering or reverb addition depending on the defined position ( ex. the further the sound source is from the center: the more reverb would to be applied; or lowers a lowpass filter frequency) This increases the perception of a distant sound.

I'd guess they're tied to both the position and the room size. But that probably depends on the algorithm and I haven't read up on that yet. There are other stuff I haven't figured out yet (like the 4 1/4'' channel outputs) but I guess we need a manual for that.
Noha
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I'd guess they're tied to both the position and the room size. But that probably depends on the algorithm and I haven't read up on that yet. There are other stuff I haven't figured out yet (like the 4 1/4'' channel outputs) but I guess we need a manual for that.

totes. we are just guessing about this stuff at this point. my guess on the 1/4" speaker outputs is that they are a balanced (hopefully!) copy of the 1/8" speaker outputs, like on the size matters module, to facilitate direct interfacing with a quad speaker system.
Paranormal Patroler
Noha wrote:
totes. we are just guessing about this stuff at this point. my guess on the 1/4" speaker outputs is that they are a balanced (hopefully!) copy of the 1/8" speaker outputs, like on the size matters module, to facilitate direct interfacing with a quad speaker system.

Yeah, sorry, I meant to write 1/8". The 1/4" are obviously there to output the signal to the console/speakers. So the 1/8" must be there to get the signal onto the reverbs/delays possibly? I don't see no send/return options otherwise.

edit

no, scratch that. Those must be mults of the 1/4" outs to root your signal to other modules. No returns. I wonder what the intended use of the filter outs are with no returns from the reverbs. I guess that you use the out of the 1/8" to get the sound on the reverb module and the +filter out to the reverb CV in. Whereas the -filter is there for the CV in of the cutoff filter.
So it all pertains to what the algorithm does exactly...
bj_gzp
As far as i understood the 1/4" jacks are not balanced! I think the difference between the 1/4" and 1/8" jacks will be the levels (line vs modular).
Not sure about the CV outs, but intuitively i would say they are correlated to the signal strength being routed to the 4 outs respectively.
On the filter outs, i can imagine several applications, but it depends highly on the actual patch.
For ex routing the outs into 2 vermona reverb units (to cover all channels) and then modulate the filter cut...

CHeers,
BJ
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2