MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ambika - Mutable Instruments poly synth.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Author Ambika - Mutable Instruments poly synth.
oootini
http://mutable-instruments.net/node/11719

sounds:

http://soundcloud.com/mutable-instruments/sets/mutable-instruments-amb ika/

looking pretty impressive!
Rod Serling Fan Club
Interesting, I might have to buy this kit. I was always curious about the shruthi but having a modular didn't really feel the need for a limited interface monosynth and knew it would be neglected. Polyphonic on the other hand is really nice...

I am curious if owners of the shruthi could comment on the user interface. I built a sammich sid a while back and I really didn't like the interface. It wasn't just that it was an LCD with a few knobs but the various pages, names of controls and such were illogical to me. For a point of comparison, The mopho has a similar interface but it made sense to me and was easily usable. I would be curious to hear other peoples thoughts.
Barcode
I have a Shruthi-1 with the IR3109 and 2 more completed filter boards(SM4 and Polivoks) waiting for digital boards. When I first started reading about the Shruthi I was pretty skeptical about the interface, but I must say it isn't bad at all. Each button across the bottom accesses each section of the synth.... First: Osc / Wave forms, Second: filter, ect ect... There really isn't menu diving. All the parameters can also accessed from the encoder next to the lcd. I also like the ability to run other synths ect thru the filter. I plan on building the new Ambika when it becomes available. I actually pretty excited about it!

@Rod Serling Fan Club: I know you live pretty close to me, so if you want to check out the Shruthi-1 let me know.
jumunius
I have a new Shruthi and a new-ish Mopho. I'm not great at programming either yet but I will say one nice thing about the Shruthi is the buttons allowing you to access different sections of the synth. I dislike turning the encoder forever on the Mopho to scroll through options (even though otherwise I think the interface works and makes sense). I wish the Shruthi had a software programmer too though, as I plan to get the one for the Mopho to speed things up. But if you are ok w/ the Mopho you'd probably approve of the Shruthi.
Isaiah
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
Interesting, I might have to buy this kit. I was always curious about the shruthi but having a modular didn't really feel the need for a limited interface monosynth and knew it would be neglected. Polyphonic on the other hand is really nice...

+1
There aren't (m)any hardware polyphonic synths available to the DIY community (that I'm aware of).
After becoming so immersed, and satisfied, with DIY, I feel reluctant to buy anything pre-assembled unless it's something quite special (and even then my budget is limited as it's mostly spent on components).

I get the impression this would be a nice little synth to gig with (in a band setting and/or with a modular), but with enough depth to explore and without overlapping too much of the modular's territory.

I'd perhaps be tempted to build it into a case with a 3+ octave keyboard, as I don't use MIDI or computers.
Hmmm....
Rod Serling Fan Club
Barcode wrote:

@Rod Serling Fan Club: I know you live pretty close to me, so if you want to check out the Shruthi-1 let me know.

I might have to take you up on that offer. I'd be curious to see your modular too.

jumunius wrote:
I have a new Shruthi and a new-ish Mopho. I'm not great at programming either yet but I will say one nice thing about the Shruthi is the buttons allowing you to access different sections of the synth. I dislike turning the encoder forever on the Mopho to scroll through options (even though otherwise I think the interface works and makes sense). I wish the Shruthi had a software programmer too though, as I plan to get the one for the Mopho to speed things up. But if you are ok w/ the Mopho you'd probably approve of the Shruthi.

It sounds like your prefer programming the shruthi to the mopho, which is definitely a good sign. It also looks like you get more knobs with the polyphonic version. Yeah the mopho isn't fun to program but it made sense to me. I didn't really have a problem sitting down with it and doing what I wanted.
L-1
Interesting. I want!
Kent
The following was originally posted by hpsounds in another thread.
==========

Here is the new SDIY synth from Mutable Instruments : Ambika

hyper SlayerBadger! thumbs up Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! love

… and this time it is polyphonic! It looks as a Shruthi-1 on steroïd!

More information here : http://mutable-instruments.net/node/11719

You can also read here how Ambika was born : http://mutable-instruments.net/node/11720

Pichenettes/Olivier (the head behind Mutable instruments) rocks !!!! applause nanners w00t

Hédi K.
Barcode
jumunius wrote:
I wish the Shruthi had a software programmer too though, as I plan to get the one for the Mopho to speed things up.

I ran across a couple software editors on the MI forms a while back. I downloaded them but never installed.

I sold my Mopho exactly for that reason... the encoder driven menus drove me nuts!
jumunius
Barcode wrote:

I ran across a couple software editors on the MI forms a while back. I downloaded them but never installed.

I sold my Mopho exactly for that reason... the encoder driven menus drove me nuts!

I'll have to look for the Shruthi programmers. I should say, one plus of the Mopho over the Shruthi is the 4 assignable knobs on top of the common four you'd always want -- that means 8 useful knobs.
defenestration
I'll only dive into the tetr4 for only fairly basic sound editing, and assigning performance knobs - any deeper patch editing is generally done on the software editor unless I'm feeling a particular taste for tedium

the shruthi-1 on the other hand I quite enjoy mucking about with it, hands-on is part of the appeal - I would also say that the shruthi-1 vs a modular patched up as monosynth is apples/oranges - for me the shruthi is a more cerebral and ethereal experience with the added benefit of patch storage

this ambika is exciting on many levels, but I'm a bit on the fence

as far as the sound goes, I miss the beefiness of the original shruthi filter design, but that new DAC is sounding pretty sweet to my ears - http://soundcloud.com/mutable-instruments/vishuv-preset

the swiss army knife quality is pretty cool though... rompler AND analog drum cards to come... sequencer attached to SD card... hyper
hpsounds
Thanks Kent for re-posting oops

Hédi K.
mOBiTh
oootini wrote:
http://mutable-instruments.net/node/11719

sounds:

http://soundcloud.com/mutable-instruments/sets/mutable-instruments-amb ika/

looking pretty impressive!

it does!

ive built two of the shruthis and reckon they sound great. might be tempted in this now i've got shot of all my keyboards
Boofin Moonrocks
*sigh*...more things to build, more things to buy...
Kent
hpsounds wrote:
Thanks Kent for re-posting oops

Hédi K.

Pas de problème, mon ami. Tu peux faire la même chose avec "edit".
SlayerBadger!
RustyO
I think I'll be getting one of these... w00t

I should try and get my hands on a Shruthi along the way somewhere, I think I'd prefer a Polivoks one.
gwaidan
I have 2 Shruthis-the interface has been very well thought out. Olivier deliberately avoided a one knob per function interface because of experience with how badly many instruments treat functions that are left off the front panel (try quickly changing pole response on a Little Phatty for example) but was instead inspired by the ESQ1, which only has 1 slider but a very intuitive, fast menu system. And it also has a performance mode with assignable functions for the 4 panel knobs.

From what I've seen Olivier is a really clued-up, knowledgeable guy who doesn't do anything without making sure it's 100%-looking forward to this!!

PS for those in Paris he will be demoing the unit on the 30th at Mutable Square http://www.modularsquare.com/blog/les-rencontres-modularquare-la-speci ale-mutable-instruments-cest-le-samedi-30-juin-2012/
limpmeat
wow, this thing will be amazing!
Willzyx
Looking very cool. I want it! Still looking for a IR3109 filter board if any one has one around.
Boofin Moonrocks
What kind of voice card options are you guys thinking of doing if you build one?
RustyO
Boofin Moonrocks wrote:
What kind of voice card options are you guys thinking of doing if you build one?

I'd be tempted by two... one 6x Polivoks and the other ???
Willzyx
Boofin Moonrocks wrote:

Not too sure but SVF looks more useful but classic LPF might be the the way to go...... I need to hear more examples. Maybe a proto card so I can make one with a hm2040. ( ssm2040 clone http://sites.google.com/site/hearnmorley/products/hm2040)
whitewulfe
That is one very sexy instrument... Can't wait to see more ^_^
mckenic
Uh oh!

This is gonna get expensive! Fun - but expensive! Its NOT a good idea giving options for the voice cards! I'll never be able to decide!!!!

hihi

Very exciting indeed!

Looks like a hella lot of soldering no? Might just be me (had no issues with 2 Sammichs and a Shruthi) but this looks epic for a novice like me!
Barcode
mckenic wrote:
Uh oh!

This is gonna get expensive! Fun - but expensive! Its NOT a good idea giving options for the voice cards! I'll never be able to decide!!!!

hihi

That's the same problem I had with the Shruthi-1..... I have 3 of them....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next [all]
Page 1 of 14