MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power Supply/Soldering Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Power Supply/Soldering Question
Ted2
Hello!

I have started a Frac Rack, but I need a power supply. All of my modules so far are Blacet, but the Blacet power supply is so expensive- would getting the Paia 9770R-15 be a better investment? I have seen others posting about this, but I can not make up my mind.

Also, a bit random, but is using solder that is larger than .031 okay on Blacet kits? I am unsure of the size, but I would say that it is perhaps a little less than twice the size of that.
Cat-A-Tonic
Thinner solder is easier to work with.

Blacet sells good solder in small amounts at a reasonable price.

The Blacet PSU isn't priced too high when you look at the competition amongst modular synth manufacturers.
It is cheaper when you buy more than $500 of modules/kits at one time.
The Blacet PSU is really good quality.

If you want a less expensive alternative,
I would recommend finding a Power One PSU from Ebay.
Search for HAA15, HBB15, or HCC15
depending on how large of a system you plan to build.
You would have to wire these up to a fuze and inlet.
It isn't that hard.
Kyhotay
Go for the PAiA 9771-15. More headers, 500mA, great filtering. I use mine with all manufacturers of Frac modules. I also use Blacet PS500. I prefer the PAiA because it has an on/off switch and LEDs. It does take up a single Frac space though.

Brian Folkes
Ted2
Thanks for the input! I am leaning towards starting with the 9771-15, but I can not find it on the Paia website. Would you mind sending a link?
Kyhotay
Not sure why it isn't on their site. I've had mine for a couple if years now. Send Scott an email. I think he's back in the groove from his vacation.
e-grad
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
If you want a less expensive alternative,
I would recommend finding a Power One PSU from Ebay.
Search for HAA15, HBB15, or HCC15

thumbs up

This is what I did in the past unforetunatly these PSUs hardly show up in Europe.
werock
Not sure if these guys ship anywhere in Europe, but you can get them in the U.K here:

http://uk.futureelectronics.com/en/technologies/electromechanical/powe r-supplies/ac-dc/Pages/7609043-HAA15-0.8-AG.aspx?IM=0
ddoyen
I spoke with Scott recently via email about Paia power supplies with blacet because I was considering buying a paia supply and rack to fill with the newer 9700 series modules and blacet stuff...wanted to know if the blacet stuff would be compatible and I got this response:

We have a new supply that's not made it to the site yet and it is perfect for powering the second generation 9700 series modules, and, other mfgrs. (for +&- 15v supplies).

To get this supply, order a 9770-15/FR-PWP combo and make a note in the comment field of the ordering page saying you'd like the 9771 as a substitute and I'll take care of this. It has more current capability than the 9770R-15 (500mA per side vs. 80)and more power connection areas (12 vs. 6).

Might want to take that into consideration!
werock
Bizzare that they don't add it to their site, as that would seem a great power supply.
fracmonkey
That is strange marketing. No picture or anything....?!?

The Blacet is based on adjustable regulators so that the 15V can be dialed in pretty precisely. Not sure if the Paia is the same. Might make some difference with the VCO waveforms.

With Paia you get what you pay for. Same with Blacet: a bit more expensive but well made, convenient and safe.
sandyb
fracmonkey wrote:

The Blacet is based on adjustable regulators so that the 15V can be dialed in pretty precisely. Not sure if the Paia is the same. Might make some difference with the VCO waveforms.

With Paia you get what you pay for. Same with Blacet: a bit more expensive but well made, convenient and safe.

almost as strange as someone referring favourably to a competing product to the paia one without letting people know that they produce said competing product.

i don't know anyone who would do that though.
e-grad
fracmonkey wrote:

May be they just want to sell the previous design before they are going to officially introduce the new one. PAiA has a very good reputation in my book.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1