MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Metalbox Sequential Switch?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Metalbox Sequential Switch?
tragedybysyntax
So i'm suprised that nobody on here ever talks about the metalbox S.S. I have one and FUCKING LOVE IT! Anybody else have one? Curious about some nutty patches you guys are running with it. Thanks! smile
Mood Organ
Oh hell yes. SS rocks. SlayerBadger!

I just did this patch where there were 2 sine waves (from Mankatos) modulating each other through a Mod/deMod. Complex CV going to Mix In on the Sequential Switch. SS Out and Inverted Out were going through VCS and also modulating the Mankatos. It sounded berserk twisted

Has anyone gotten 2 Sequential Switches and linked em up? I want 16 steps so I can do John Carpenter synth sequences
plord
I'm stuffing the boards to complete my quad SS. Still some weeks from completion (wiring the panel is going to SUCK).

With just the one SS and a pair of Binary Zones, you can take your 8 note sequence and generate all manner of gigantic sequences by hitting the inhibit and direction inputs with BZ output.

Or, if you had two SS and a BZ, take the 8 and 16 knobs on the BZ, one full CW one full CCW, then main out to inhibit on one SS and inverted out to inhibit on the other SS, clock everything from the same source, and you should be able to get them to alternate. Mix the outputs of the two SS together and there you go, 16 steps.

Killer module. That's why I want 4 of them smile
Luka
videos or it didn't happen
...pls
...anyone?
tragedybysyntax
Curious of any ideas on how to make my sequential switch transpose @ the mix input. There an easy way to do this? certain gate pulse or?

Also... I've never gotten the direction jack to work since I bought this thing... how the fuck do i make it change direction... again... gate, pulse?

OH! Binary Zone..... I'm slimming my rack to a 10U. 2 rows of frac (sequential switch, 8008, pulse divider logic, cgs mixer, cgs super psycho lfo, miniwave, I/O)
Then a 4U banana panel to go with it. I have a potential 2 space slot open in the frac row to get the blacet binary zone kit and stick it behind a custom panel that's acid etched like the rest....... Most likely worth it to play with the sequential switch and pulse divider i'm thinking? smile
Mood Organ
tragedybysyntax wrote:

Also... I've never gotten the direction jack to work since I bought this thing... how the fuck do i make it change direction... again... gate, pulse?

The direction CV input wants an AC signal (like an LFO). When the signal is in positive voltage, direction is right - negative voltage is left.
tragedybysyntax
Ahh! Thank you! smile
Mood Organ
It wasn't obvious to me either. Now the REAL fun can begin. screaming goo yo

BTW, if anybody has any feedback patches using the SS I'd love to hear em
tragedybysyntax
I f'ng love my ss....... I'm thinking about possibly getting a blacet binary zone to have it play with.
Mood Organ
Same! If you get one, post up a sample.
DGTom
Get a BZ man, fucking rad module - I have 2! Love to us em as gate sequencers, Out & Inv. Out feeding two differant EGs you get mad patterns!
tragedybysyntax
Shameless Plug...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121145#121145

Bottom of page 9. I just got those done! Now to add the pushbuttons next to the input stages! smile
Kwote
Still want an SS. Still want a 2nd BZ.
tragedybysyntax
So alot of love for the BZ? I'm thinking now that I have the pulse divider and sequential switch... BZ would have a fucking field day with them two!!!
Luka
i cant wait to make my cgs sequential switch, im panneling it up with fonik's sequential switch. the both work opposite so it goes many to one and one to many.
is a binary zone just a random pulse and noise module?
tragedybysyntax
Dave Hylander just emailed me back! HE HAS THEM! 40 bucks including shipping. SOLD! She's on the way! smile
Cat-A-Tonic
Luka wrote:
is a binary zone just a random pulse and noise module?

No, the Binary Zone is a pattern generator/frequency divider/weird sequencer/master clock.
Like DGTom, I also have 2 of them.
They work wonderfully with the Hex Zone (16 step sequential switch/sequencer), Divider & Logic, Window Comparator, CTL1, and just about any other sequencing accessory.
The Binary Zone accepts anything as a clock input.
It will play along in time with the audio from a drum recording.

The Hex Zone is a very different beast from the MetalBox/CGS Sequential Switch.
The Hex Zone lacks the CV Direction, and Inhibit functions,
but the switches on the HZ are reroutable in the sequence (via menu)
so that any switch can trigger on any step or even multiple steps.
DGTom
Luka, The BZ is a 4024 binary counter with all the outputs thru pots, buffered etc. its pretty much an extension of the old Synapse article 'Digital Pattern Generator'

http://www.blacet.com/dpg1.jpg

http://www.blacet.com/dpg2.jpg

Blacet does a few cool things to get the lag etc. & the Clock Input is a pretty interesting set-up, as Cat-A-Tonic says it will sync to just about anything! I often use it to 'condition' weak doepfer clock signals.

The core idea is mad simple, but, especially with a pair, you get really long, complex sequences. The reason having 2 is so much more than one is straight maths, 1 = 64 steps, 2 = 4096 (potentially) Can't wait to get the Frequency Divider bolted in with them MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Kwote
Oh man, yes this is true. I use the BZ as my Master Clock umm... ALL THE TIME!
tragedybysyntax
Well i guess I'll have to order the kit this week then... smile
tragedybysyntax
So now that I have SPDT's to turn the stage input signal on or off... since the spdt has 3 legs... which leg would go to what? Would one side go to the pot, other side would go to the banana jack. Then center to ground?
DGTom
Oh, I just re-read the notes on CGS d'oh!

the pots are on the front-end! Middle lug = inputs to PCB I1 - I8, one side of the switch = banana jacks, other side of switch = wiper of the pots!

The CCT. has one set of inputs, the switches select between one or the other; input jack or voltage from the pot.

Coffee Addiction FTW
tragedybysyntax
so what about middle of the switch?
DGTom
DGTom wrote:
Middle of the switches = inputs to PCB I1 - I8

Logically if you did this;

Quote:
one side go to the pot, other side would go to the banana jack. Then center to ground?

How would that work & what would you do with the 8 wires coming from the PCB?

Edit; Removed garbled ASCII diagram...
tragedybysyntax
Okay... sorry about asking again but, what about the resistors that were on the stage input jacks I took off?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1