MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY Kits for Eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DIY Kits for Eurorack
PraxisCat
I am looking for DIY kits for Eurorack synthesizers. I have found this to be a bit difficult to navigate compared to other modular systems. I can find the 4MS kits, but it then suddenly gets very difficult to navigate this terrain, either because of poorly organized sites, or just lack of available resources.

Can anybody help me out, is there some guide out there for this?
Monobass
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
gigasturtz
Hi praxiscat, welcome to the community. The sdiy forum is a great place for sure, but can be a little intimidating for sure. The way it typically works is like this: someone designs something, starts a thread to generate interest, and then has it made and sells it through that thread. The things they sell usually aren't full kits, they will be either face plates or most commonly pcbs. From there its mostly up to you to track down parts elsewhere on the net, but sometimes there are group buys for more expensive components, like vactrols or jacks, that benefit from a quantity discount.

For full kits look around the elby designs site ( www.elby-designs.com ). They sell full euro kits for a variety of modules. The 4ms stuff is great too.
Monobass
sorry I actually wrote a reply with that link but obviously fucked it up somehow, there is a lot of information on this already on the forum, I suggest you use the 'advanced search' and search on 'kit' in the euro and DIY forums.
PraxisCat
Giga,
Thanks I just looked at Elby, exactly what I was after!
robot909
Trogotronic just came out with a kit for one module...

http://www.trogotronic.com/wp/2012/07/05/model-11-m-series-euro-module  /

Also Delpronics has a ring modulator kit...

http://www.delptronics.com/ringmodulator.php
negativspace
If you're willing to branch out from kits to bare PCBs there's a ton of stuff out there to build, including many originally-5U projects that can easily be made to fit in this smaller format. If you need pre-fab panels there are fewer options, but still lots of stuff in the DIY forums.

If you can source parts and design panels yourself, the possibilities are near-limitless.
synthomaniac
You could check out CV Tools which is made both as a complete module and as a kit - here's a thread that's worth a read https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47757

If you are more into designing and prototyping then there are the DIY Prototyping Kits which have various Euro compaible breadboards and front panels. There are details here http://synovatron.blogspot.co.uk/p/products.html but here are some piccies to whet your apetite:-

CV Tools Kit

DIY Prototyping Kit 1

New DIY prototying PCB for jacks

Here are a few examples of stuff built from the prototyping kits:-

Please feel free to PM me for further details.

Cheers
Tony Steventon
jfloftin
synthomaniac wrote:

Here are a few examples of stuff built from the prototyping kits:-

What exactly is this third item? Thanks!
James
synthomaniac
This is one of two custom modules that were made to order (for a couple of Wigglers, more here https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53024).

It is a Euro to Buchla CV translator - it takes four Euro CV signals, bipolar in the range ±5V, and converts them to Buchla compatible outputs in the range 0V to 10V. The fifth channel does the reverse.

It is made from a DIY3 pcb and an 8HPJ panel. The DIY3 pcb was developed to do more complex things with jack socket based projects, as the DIY2 version has a much smaller breadboard area as you can see in some of the other photos which is fine for input or output boards (and mults, gate combiners etc); for completeness the DIY1 pcb in Kit 1 is for pots. I'm happy to share the Euro Buchla schematic if anyone is interested.

I used a DIY1 and two DIY2 pcbs for the CV Tools prototype - it was a tight fit but I managed it ok. I have a page on my blogsite dedicated to the CV Tools design process at http://synovatron.blogspot.co.uk/p/cv-tools-project.html and some DIY ideas here http://synovatron.blogspot.co.uk/p/ideas.html.

This is getting more DIY than Eurorack so I'll put some stuff on the DIY forum if anyone is interested in more DIY depth.

Cheers
Tony
FoxtoneMusic
Flight of Harmony makes kit versions, called BareBones, of all 6 of their euro modules.
http://www.flightofharmony.com/
adnauseam
The world needs more DIY KITS! grin

Just got a RYO VC Seq and excited to build.

Kits make life so much easier. Sourcing acceptable parts can be a science of it's own. The developers have to get all the parts and build to spec anyways, so why not just offer kits? The extra work seems negligible but perhaps I'm talking out my ass.

To summarize: I'd love to see more full kits. It's a great way for folks to get started. It has the potential of bringing more folks to modular.
malnatim
PraxisCat wrote:
I can find the 4MS kits, but it then suddenly gets very difficult to navigate this terrain, either because of poorly organized sites, or just lack of available resources.
?

thonk.co.uk is a great place to start. the build docs are very detailed. they guide you through everything and don't assume you know anything (which i didn't). the site is anything but poorly organised. i'd def recommend.
malnatim
adnauseam wrote:

Sourcing acceptable parts can be a science of it's own.

agreed!

i've recently moved onto buying bare boards and i still find ordering a huge pain. i guess i just need more experience, but at the moment it seems pretty arcane and confusing world.
AlanP
adnauseam wrote:
Kits make life so much easier. Sourcing acceptable parts can be a science of it's own. The developers have to get all the parts and build to spec anyways, so why not just offer kits? The extra work seems negligible but perhaps I'm talking out my ass.

Counting out parts for every single board you send out takes an annoying amount of time. Then there's packaging them -- IC packaging, to stop bent legs, plus the issue of do you separate the resistors and label them, or dump the lot into a bag and expect your customer to spend quality time with either a multimeter or a colour code chart?

It's not a question of parts cost, so much as labour costs.
kwaidan
I don't mind buying parts if the board manufacturer posts a bill of materials in Mouser's or some other vendor's format. I know Hexinverter does this for you, but others don't.
maudibe
There's also the amazing range of modules by Rick at Frequency Central.

They are not kits but a PCB, instructions and a front panel - you source your own parts. IMHO this is the way to go and makes for a very rewarding build and result.

I have also built Thonk kits of the CVP and MIX (MA) and the AT-AT-AT (again which is not a kit but a panel with a diagram). Great fun and super simple.

My rack is now about 15 - 20% self build as I'm into replacing some utility modules piece by piece with my home-brew stuff. smile My initial idea was always to have one racks worth of self build - not quite there yet…. wish I'd built my own peg RCD and SCM… they're available as kits too I believe.

8_)

Edited to add - Agree with Alan P - that is one of the reasons I have not got into supplying pedal kits at Doctor Tweek. The amount of time to pick for a kit is bonkers. Total PITA - plus of course you have the customer support side when someone melts a component due to bad soldering technique confused
bkbirge
kwaidan wrote:
I don't mind buying parts if the board manufacturer posts a bill of materials in Mouser's or some other vendor's format. I know Hexinverter does this for you, but others don't.

Many of us post Mouser BOMs for various projects but the problem of having a static Mouser/Newark/other BOM is that you can never be sure when specified parts will be in stock. So you still have to check it one by one and go on the snark hunt for the "end of life" component or "backordered" part that otherwise would delay your parts shipment by 6 months.
bkbirge
maudibe wrote:
... and the AT-AT-AT

This would probably get my vote as best beginner DIY project for euro. Simple, no power needed, gives great soldering and wire organizing practice, and is a very useful module.
kwaidan
bkbirge wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

Many of us post Mouser BOMs for various projects but the problem of having a static Mouser/Newark/other BOM is that you can never be sure when specified parts will be in stock. So you still have to check it one by one and go on the snark hunt for the "end of life" component or "backordered" part that otherwise would delay your parts shipment by 6 months.

Yeah, I see you point, and that's why I'd rather pay more to have someone else find the parts. I've spent more time locating parts on a couple of projects than actually building the modules.
AlanP
A key thing is to always order at least twice as much as you need, and build up your library of on-hand parts.

Another facet of that is knowing what you can get away with substituting, in terms of, say, when the project wants a transistor you don't have (BC547, say), but you DO have a hundred BC549's, or a load of 2N3904 (I think, it's too early here to think.)
AlanP
-- (dblpost - bloody 503's...)
maudibe
+1 on what AlanP said… get your bits and make a nice parts collection. I have the ultimate parts selection applause

Having said that, latest builds there were some parts I didn't have on hand, so had to order specially.

One of the things that I really like about Ricks designs is the similarity of parts used throughout the range of modules - so if you buy a shit load of parts you can build a shit load of (different) modules. Top result, and great forward thinking from Frequency Central.
euromorcego
Quote:
Kits make life so much easier. Sourcing acceptable parts can be a science of it's own.

true, but also a bit useless to ship some standard parts half around the world. I would be happy with kits that supply anything that isn't readily available (I know the definition of "readily available" depends on experience, but I mean really basic stuff such as basic metal film resistors, capacitors and such).

+1 also for thonk kits. Very well documented, maybe even too much wink I lay out all parts anyway before I start and check them, so not each single resistor needs in its own labelled bag.
NoiseNow
http://www.trogotronic.com/wp/product/m3-power-system/

I emailed them and they were very helpful. The price is reasonable too. They are based out of California. Dead Banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2