MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

cleaning weevils
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author cleaning weevils
revmutt
What is and acceptable way of cleaning the contact points?

For the record I am personally asking in reference to an 06 Weevil which has solder dots on various points of the bugs anatomy.
DGTom
Snap! I was just thinking about this today after giving my weevil a good seeing too. I like to use a bit of moisture on my fingers & I've been worried about build up / the effects over time this may have.

Thinking maybe some flux? too harsh?
Uncopyrightable
I just use rubbing alcohol on mine

Works great and wont ruin anything
revmutt
Thanks all.

FIY There are a fair number of natural cooper cleaners should one want to go that route. http://www.doityourself.com/stry/copper
BugBrand
Back when I was using those techniques I always used these little Polifix Blocks - they're basically a very fine abrasive. Super-fine-grade emery board would be similar too just to polish things up but similarly copper cleaners would prob. be a-ok too.

Note - this is just for the old bare-copper boards that were used before I moved to pro-pcbs - all the recent Weevils have 'finished' pads which haven't tarnished in the same way. I think these will be generally far longer lasting and probably easiest just to clean with a damp cloth or, if extra gunked, perhaps something like isopropyl alcohol.
revmutt
I ended up using a paste of salt, baking soda and white vinegar to great effect.

Little needs to be done regularly to the actually bug. More often one should clean the contact blobs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1