MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5u bit crusher or equivalent
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5u bit crusher or equivalent
dude
hello, i am waffling in between formats for planning and i wonder if anyone knows of a bit crusher from one of the 5u makerz.

thanks!
sandyb
modcan's cv recorder can do bit-crushing effects as well as a whole load more.

http://www.modcan.com/bseries/cvrecorder.html

sandy
dude
thanks, that thing looks cool. doesn't look or sound quite like a bit crusher so much as a recorder and granular sampling with huge control tweak parameters. seems the euro folks have more options in this category :(
thermionicjunky
dude wrote:
thanks, that thing looks cool. doesn't look or sound quite like a bit crusher so much as a recorder and granular sampling with huge control tweak parameters. seems the euro folks have more options in this category :(

In rehearse mode, it can be used as a real-time sample-rate reducer. Sample and hold modules can do the same. So, we have plenty of sample-rate reduction, but I don't know of a bit reducer.
electrik noize
If you have a modcanized miniwave you can use the socket rocket rom for bit mangling as well as a host of other stuff.
dude
the modcan MW is on my list to snag! it comes wth 1 rom? which is that?
parasitk
dude wrote:
the modcan MW is on my list to snag! it comes wth 1 rom? which is that?

You were asking about Frac too, so don't forget the MiniWave there as well. thumbs up
dude
yeah, i am on the fence between 5u and frac and leaning more towards 5u to have greater simple compatibility with my current setup etc. it's all up in the air as i need to sell gear before i can even begin to order the stuff on my list.
Peake
See if you can get Bug Brand to build you a Crusher in 5U format...they have a subforum here.
dude
funny, this was one of my first threads. i have long since figured about 16 ways to bit crush and today my very own b series cv recorder is in the mail thanks to a number of influential conversations with thermionicjunky and sandyb

just wanted to say thanks to muffs!
russma
I don't know whether nearly 2000 posts in under a year deserves congratulatory praise or gut-wrenching alarm.

This is fun! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

w00t

thumbs up
jfm3
You can do "bit crushing" with any sample and hold module.
urbanscallywag
sample and hold isn't really bit crushing, its sample rate reduction.

in a fully digital system you have quantization on the time axis and on the amplitude axis. sample and hold will emulate varying the quantization on the time axis, but it won't help you change the number of discrete levels available on the amplitude axis like a "bit crusher".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1