MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New module coming: Overdrive-II
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author New module coming: Overdrive-II
Synthbuilder

More information:

http://www.oakleysound.com/overdrv.htm

The PCBs are here and tested. It sounds great but as yet I've no front panel so I can't get any proper sound samples done nor photographs taken. In theory it should be here next week so hopefully I'll soon be able to embellish the website with sounds and pictures.

I'll have the first issues of the documentation sorted by Tuesday next week if not sooner. There's nothing difficult to get on the board - it's just R, C, op-amps and quite a few diodes.

Tony
fluxmonkey
how does this compare to the old distortion unit? looks like the top part may be carried over--any changes?

b
Synthbuilder
fluxmonkey wrote:
how does this compare to the old distortion unit? looks like the top part may be carried over--any changes?

The overdrive section is identical to the older 5U overdrive and the current Euro Overdrive modules. If you do have an older 5U one it's worth changing R8 to 33K to give you a little more overdrive gain.

If you do have the older one and want the harmonic multiplier part as a separate module you may be interested to know that a six stage multiplier module is currently on the bench which should be ready for September. This does behave rather differently to the one included in the new Overdrive but does feature voltage control over some of the parameters.

Tony
Chopper28
Ooh Great!

I ordered a panel for the previous version from Scott some 72 hours ago d'oh!
Synthbuilder
Chopper28 wrote:
I ordered a panel for the previous version from Scott some 72 hours ago d'oh!

Ah, sorry about that...

The first Overdrive is quite an old project now originally coming out back in 2007. Since the move from Spectrol pots to 16mm Alphas all the Oakley modular projects have had to be revamped. I've been taking the opportunity, when possible, to update the module designs both on the front and back of the panel.

The Overdrive was the last but one PCB remaining in the old format - the final one being the sample/slew. This one will also see a change in the panel design although at this stage I'm not sure what shape it will take.

Once a module has gone over to 16mm pots it is unlikely to undergo any further changes in panel design.

You could still be able to use a newer board with the older design. The new PCB would need to mounted on a metal bracket (MOTM 'stooge' bracket style) and then the pots hand wired onto the board.

Alternatively, you may find someone with an older board they would want to sell. It might be worth putting a post in the WTB forum.

Tony
Shy
Hi. Maybe someone here could tell me which pedal the overdrive section is based on? smile From the manual:
Quote:
the Oakley Overdrive in its overdrive mode, is quite simply a derivative of a famous overdrive guitar pedal. This highly popular pedal has been around for many years and it is widely copied.

Recently ordered from krisp1, looking forward.
numbertalk
I believe it's the tube screamer.
Shy
Aha, that makes sense, thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1