MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[PCBs] NeinOhNein KICK -- a 909 kick clone you can build!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]

What 909 or 808 drum should I offer a PCB for, next?
808 Cowbell
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
909 Snare
44%
 44%  [ 27 ]
909 Clap
29%
 29%  [ 18 ]
909 Rimshot
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 61

Author [PCBs] NeinOhNein KICK -- a 909 kick clone you can build!
hexinverter
Hey guys!

When I sought out to make a DIY 909 kick drum for my modular, I naturally stumbled across the thread here where people were pulling their hair out trying to get some designs others have posted on the 'net working.

It seems to me that there is no easy solution...you can build a 9090, but that's the whole 909. I just want a kick drum module, myself.

The general consensus is that none of the PCBs others have made work like they should. Also, none of them have the crucial noise generating circuitry. For some strange reason, they just did not include it.

Boards are in stock!: http://www.hexinverter.net

+/-15V Bill of Materials: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvD8ZRA_UZL8dHM4VmNZNDV1d EVsdnJqMFRnRnhFYUE

+/-15V Mouser cart is here: http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=05b4b cb771

To receive an email when they are in stock, place your email on my mailing list here: http://blog.hexinverter.net/?page_id=14

[s]http://www.soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/neinohnein-rim-demo-a-diy-90 9[/s]

[s]http://www.soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/nein-ohhh-nein-a-diy-909-kic k[/s]

Here is a rendering of the board:

I will be converting component values so it can run from +/-12V and still sound proper. It will also natively support +/-15V like the original.

I will be getting some boards made for myself so was wondering if anyone else would like some as well!

They will be double-sided boards, easy to follow and feature some handy build documentation. I will be providing a Mouser project cart and a BOM to help people get parts easily.

Let me know if you are interested. I'm not taking preorder money but I will keep a running tally so I know how many boards to order, so please let me know if you are interested!

I will be posting sound/video when I prototype. Currently the schematic entry is done and I just have to route/verify the board layout.

Cheers guys smile
ringstone
Sure, I'll go a couple...

Cheers
Blair

EDIT: Just a suggestion, if you can lay out pinouts for original AND substitution transistors that would be appreciated.
SMS303
sorry for the hijack.... RiDrum DIY 909kick
raisinbag
ill get one (1) just cause it is Canadian! I should really get a bunch of your stuff, backlog just growing out of control! does if need 6 vactrols and 2 mn3005s razz
Peake
raisinbag wrote:
does if need 6 vactrols and 2 mn3005s razz

Mr. Green
hexinverter
SMS303 wrote:
sorry for the hijack.... RiDrum DIY 909kick

Nice...I wonder why I did not find this before in my search.

Anyway, that isn't the original schematic, so I'm going to go ahead with this project still.

This is a faithful replica of the original...no changes.

That one you linked omits the original noise generation circuitry. There are no CD4006s or any of the other Roland noise circuitry present on his PCB that I can spot! Of course there are lots of ways of making noise...but surely they don't all sound identical? The amplitude could be different...who knows really.

EDIT: Is it your design? smile Care to enlighten me about the noise gen. if so?
hexinverter
raisinbag wrote:
ill get one (1) just cause it is Canadian! I should really get a bunch of your stuff, backlog just growing out of control! does if need 6 vactrols and 2 mn3005s razz

Haha smile

Well no, there are no rare parts or anything on it. You could use the hard to find 2SC series transistors used on the original if you really want...I'll put a little note about the pinout differences in the build docs if anyone wants to do that.
hexinverter
ringstone wrote:

EDIT: Just a suggestion, if you can lay out pinouts for original AND substitution transistors that would be appreciated.

Ah no problem. The layout is going to be very dense, so, if I cannot get the other trannies on there I will at least make some documentation that shows which lead goes where smile I will try to add it to the layout though.
ringstone
hexinverter wrote:
ringstone wrote:

Ah no problem. The layout is going to be very dense, so, if I cannot get the other trannies on there I will at least make some documentation that shows which lead goes where smile I will try to add it to the layout though.

Thanks. I have the (original) transistors put away already, since I was going to lay this one out on protoboard myself... saves me much time!

Cheers
Blair
scozbor
interested thumbs up
zoot horn rollo
I'd be interested in a pcb!
roglok
yesssssss! thumbs up
futuresoundsystems
Definitely interested in one PCB
pre55ure
interested in a couple of pcb's
This is fun!
Memory_Leak
Will grab the 909 PCB the same time as the sympleSEQ thumbs up
haima
I'll most likely take one! w00t
boothnavy
interested.
L-1
I would be in.
home_listening
wow, triple post. sorry.
home_listening
sry, double post.
home_listening
I'm down for 2!
hexinverter
home_listening wrote:
wow, triple post. sorry.

Haha! Nice xD
hexinverter
Haha, wow, okay!

Good stuff folks smile Glad to see others are interested in a replica as well.

I will hopefully return with a prototype example in the coming week or two, then it's just a matter of doing some changes to work on +/-12V, and verifying the layout.

Will post back with progress when it happens.
LektroiD
I'll be interested in one or two depending on price.

Are you planning any extra features, such as pitch CV etc... ?
hexinverter
LektroiD wrote:
I'll be interested in one or two depending on price.

Are you planning any extra features, such as pitch CV etc... ?

Cool man smile

Nope, no extra features. True to the original, just with pads for common BC series transistors. I am hoping to incorporate pads for the rare original transistors as well.

I cannot commit to a price yet, but should be between $20 and $30 depending on board size.

Because it is faithful to the original, it will be a fairly large board as the original noise circuit is quite large (3 chips and a bunch of passives for that alone)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next [all]
Page 1 of 23