MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filters: Filthy or Metalbox??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Filters: Filthy or Metalbox??
Audity
Hey all,
I am in the planning stages of my first modular system at the moment, and I'm trying to decide on a filter to start off with. Right now I'm debating between the Filthy Filtre from Blacet or one of the Metalbox filters (Bi n-Tic or Dual Wasp). I know a little about what to expect sound-wise from the Metalbox filters, but I've yet to hear anyones subjective opinion on the Filthy Filtre. I'm hoping I can get some opinions on the Filthy Filtre's overall sound, how it performs at high resonance, etc...
I'm also going to be taking on a partially assembled Polivoks filter clone as part of my rig, so maybe I should be looking for my other VCF to be something that won't be a sound-alike. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!
fluxmonkey
as as first filter, I'd go w/ the Filthy, especially if your next add is a polivox. filthy retains its character but can be reasonably well-behaved at low res, but still plenty of bite when cranked, and the polivox will finish the job when you need faceshred. dual wasp has a more limited range of sounds, tho the dual allows some series/parallel permutations... still, kind of thin to my ear. i've got 2 BiNTics, but it's really a specialty module in my mind, alot of fun but not all that useful as a filter, per se.

another option to consider is the LPFA...
vmgas
im real into my dualwasp
tIB
^ Ive just got a dual wasp and _really_ like it.
indexofmetals
the dual wasp is excellent. Michael is a great guy too.

also keep an eye for a 2ndhand bugbrand sv filter
vmgas
my only issues with the metalbox dual wasp is the size
my dual wasp is a diy fellow and half the size of metalbox
tIB
^ A dual dual wasp in the same width would be nice...
Cat-A-Tonic
The thing that bothers me about the MetalBox Dual Wasp (not having owned one)
is that there is all that free panel space,
and no input level control!
Audity
Thanks guys, very helpful indeed Mr. Green
Think I'm leaning toward the Filthy a little bit at this point. Wasp would be cool to have, but I'm not super into the really squelchy acid sound.
Now what I'd REALLY love is a CEM or transistor ladder type 4 pole, something with a nice warm, bouncy low end for sequenced baselines and such. Though I don't know of any specifically for frac. Are there any out there? Available as a kit perhaps? Faceplates are no problem.
Cat-A-Tonic
If you want transistor ladder,
MOTM 1490 is the one.
Audity
Figured MOTM is where I'd have to look for something like that, But is that 1490 available in 5u format only, or is there a frac option too??

EDIT: NVM, I see it on analoghaven It's motherfucking bacon yo now THAT is the filter I'm looking for!
eyehue
My favorite filters are the 1490 and the Filthy, many, many options.
idiotunderground
filthy
rezzn8r
I recently picked up a MOTM 1490 in the b/s/t. It's really a beautiful sounding filter.
chamomileshark
Audity wrote:
Figured MOTM is where I'd have to look for something like that, But is that 1490 available in 5u format only, or is there a frac option too??

EDIT: NVM, I see it on analoghaven It's motherfucking bacon yo now THAT is the filter I'm looking for!

yup that's the one if you want a moog sounding filter in frac. If you could find a Frac Wiard Boogie that might be even better but I don't think they come up too often.
rezzn8r
chamomileshark wrote:
Audity wrote:

yup that's the one if you want a moog sounding filter in frac. If you could find a Frac Wiard Boogie that might be even better but I don't think they come up too often.

Yes, the Boogie is another awesome frac filter. I've picked up 2 this year in the buy/sell, so they're out there.
Liquidcolor
New Dual Wasps have an input level control. I don't really get that there's that much free panel space. I definitely don't like cramped layouts.
Cat-A-Tonic
Liquidcolor wrote:
New Dual Wasps have an input level control. I don't really get that there's that much free panel space. I definitely don't like cramped layouts.

Awesome.
What I meant was that there seemed to be space for an input attenuator,
and I thought it an odd omission given that space.
It's cool that you've revised that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1