MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

To drive a Mini Wave...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author To drive a Mini Wave...
Exuviae
Hello All-

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Blacet Mini Wave, but have questions about the "needed" oscillator to drive it.

I've read that you must use a Sawtooth VCO to drive it...but I am wondering if there are other ways to effectively get it to make sound as well. Blacet LFOs, S/H or Quantized out from an Imp Drive...Filthy Filtre set to self-oscillation, Binary Zone, etc.

Will Sine waves make it go? How about the CV out from a Delay Clock?

Lay it out for me, please.

Thanks!
Brooks
consumed
you can drive the miniwave with whatever you'd like to drive it with. however, it seems to be best driven by a saw if you are using it like a digital oscillator. you can preamp an external signal and drive the MW with that even.
Exuviae
Yes, I found this video - where the BZ is hitting a Frostwave Resonator Filter, which is being used to drive the MW. Sounding kick ass - though the double YELLOW evilness at the end of the chain probably helps! ;-)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4759138022897132154&ei=jMFfSuq kNKiErAKK5rQt&q=blacet+mini+wave&client=firefox-a
DGTom
the miniwave would give the yellow evil plenty to chew on tho! grin
johnnymad
there's a thread somewhere on the forum about using the blacet eg-1 to drive a miniwave. i've tried it, and it's great!
plord
Robert Rich suggested, 1 or 2 AHCalifornia meetups ago, that driving a Miniwave with a pulse wave with mild PWM produced exceedingly interesting results, and that feeding that PWM wave through a filter whose resonance is also being VC'd added to the possible colors.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not exploited this information in the intervening time.

If you feed the MW a sine wave, some banks will work quite well, others not so well. The Socket Rocket ROM has all manner of MARF, Window Comparator, Bit decimation, and other assorted functions and is a kick ass chip to have at least one of for just this sort of mangling.

The Scale Quantizer doesn't care what you feed it.
Babaluma
yeah if you want to use it as a digital oscillator/lfo you need a saw of the correct polarity (not sure which, check the manual, it's online at the blacet site) to get the waveforms as described in the eprom manuals. however driving it with anything is very fun, and the robert rich idea sounds great, gonna try that now!

another fun thing to try with the miniwave is feeding it a sine and modulating the amplitude of the sine beforehand (with a vca for example), very nice shifting timbres. i think this is the patch suggested for the non-linear transforms in the socket rocket manual.
panda30y
I believe you want the saw wave to move from 0 to it's max amplitude before it drops back to 0. From what I understand wavetables reads through the samples as the amplitude increases in the waveform, and plays the samples accordingly based on where waveform's amplitude is. Hence why a saw wave is usually desired.
parasitk
plord wrote:
Robert Rich suggested, 1 or 2 AH California meetups ago, that driving a Miniwave with a pulse wave with mild PWM produced exceedingly interesting results, and that feeding that PWM wave through a filter whose resonance is also being VC'd added to the possible colors.

Oooh nice, I need to try this. w00t

Babaluma wrote:
another fun thing to try with the miniwave is feeding it a sine and modulating the amplitude of the sine beforehand (with a vca for example), very nice shifting timbres. i think this is the patch suggested for the non-linear transforms in the socket rocket manual.

Yes it's an awesome digital waveshaper – I've gotten some tones that take me back to my Turbosynth days (still my favorite software waveshaper).
dkcg
I love my miniwave. I use it is a quantizer about a 1/3 of the time, half the time I use it as an FM source, and the rest of the time I use it as a wavetable synth voice My favorite is an an FM source for the M15 or Zeroscillator (or any osc or filter), sequence the bank/waveform, and you got FM timbrel sweetness courtesy of the MW.

I like how it can be used for audio rate and control signals.

Only thing that could improve it is a simple way to upload your own waves to it. Some sort of ROM/midi or USB upload expander would be so sweet...
DGTom
dkcg wrote:
Only thing that could improve it is a simple way to upload your own waves to it. Some sort of ROM/midi or USB upload expander would be so sweet...

nanners screaming goo yo
this would be AMAZING!
on paper its a pretty easy process... on paper I could do it, in reality I'm 99% sure i would make fail 99% of the time waah
Muff Wiggler
panda30y wrote:
I believe you want the saw wave to move from 0 to it's max amplitude before it drops back to 0. From what I understand wavetables reads through the samples as the amplitude increases in the waveform, and plays the samples accordingly based on where waveform's amplitude is. Hence why a saw wave is usually desired.

this is correct. the MW needs a rising saw to act as a proper digital oscillator

however of course the other half of the fun is in using different sources to drive it.

Quote:

well, the Wave.256 software that creates the ROM is free from Wiard. A ROM burner is only a couple hundred bucks, no? and blank ROM chips are....what? Very close to nothing.

So if you were inclined it wouldn't be too hard.... just that investment for a burner. I'm sure you could sell enough of your ROMs to offset that pretty quick!
Babaluma
some really good examples of the amazing versatility of the miniwave in this thread. i need to go into the studio ad start playing with mine!

Mr. Green
Muff Wiggler
don't forget about clocking it REALLY slowly and using it as a source for slowly evolving CVs

clock it REALLY slowly with something other than a rising saw and then use it as a source for slowly evolving random-ish CVs

endless fun with miniwave we're not worthy
Exuviae
wow...thanks a lot, guys! I'm glad I asked.

Can't wait to get one and try out some of these voodoo recipes.

Brooks
electrik noize
I bought the miniwave specifically to use as a distortion device. i feed
everything into it, drums, gtr's etc. it will mangle the crap outta anything
twisted SlayerBadger!
the socket rocket rom was actually made for this very reason i believe, but
you can get really messed up results from the stock rom as well
Dead Banana
zerosum
Exuviae wrote:
Yes, I found this video - where the BZ is hitting a Frostwave Resonator Filter, which is being used to drive the MW. Sounding kick ass - though the double YELLOW evilness at the end of the chain probably helps! ;-)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4759138022897132154&ei=jMFfSuq kNKiErAKK5rQt&q=blacet+mini+wave&client=firefox-a

SlayerBadger! I made that video in summer 2007 when I was living in Minneapolis.
Thanks for watching.

It will respond to any waveform in many ways.
I enjoy running guitars through it, and other synths.
I am lucky enough to now own 2 miniwaves and highly recommend it thumbs up
I want to have atleast 3, one for quantizing, one for waveshaping, and one for modulation shapes.

The Blacet EG-1 works well,
check it out:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4252&highlight=eg1+d rive+miniwave

I love my miniwave(s), it was my reason for getting into modulars.
Exuviae
cool stuff! I ordered one and the socket rocket right after starting this post. I was almost going to get two, but a Wiggler was selling a Blacet VCO, so I grabbed that instead.

I will most likely get a second MW at some point and also possibly invest in the Hylander stuff to flesh out the ROM capabilities.

Thanks guys!
Exuviae
well - got the MW built in record time and it works like a charm!

I now see what the deal is with using various waveforms to drive it - reacts very differently depending on what you shove into the input. I am glad I grabbed a true VCO to go with it, though, as using a Sawtooth to slave it is pure heaven!

The Socket Rocket was also a good choice to go in right out of the gate - lots of experimentation available and many hours of fun to be had!

Thanks again guys!

Brooks
D/A A/D
I love the miniwave as a distortion module. But it has been making its way as an oscillator onto a TON of my tracks.
Kendall Station
Exuviae-

Don't forget they are great cv generators when fed a low freq wave! Nice rollercoaster trips there.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1