MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES3/ES5 basic configurations in Ableton Live
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author ES3/ES5 basic configurations in Ableton Live
Protofrangiste
Hi, I just received the ES-5 and soldered the cable successfully on my ES-3 MK1, that was pretty easy and well documented!

I managed to send Midi values and a solid clock with the ES5 from one ableton to slave another ableton and it works. w00t

However I really have a hard time configuring 2 patches I had in mind with Ableton Live:

- 6 Voices with v/oct on the ES-3 and gates on the ES-5, for instance :
Voice 1 : v/oct from ES-3 ch1 / gate from ES5 ch1 etc...

- A beat with only gates out of the ES-5 like in this video but with a ES-5
(and the 6 channels from the ES-3 for regular duties ) :

If all the gates could be different midi notes in the same pattern it would be great and easier to program...

I tried to do about the same as in this video but it didn't work...

I read the manual, tried the ES-5 controller from SilentWay V.2 Beta and spent a good time reading this sub forum but couldn't manage make it work...

Anyone could help me please ?
limpmeat
I wanna know this too, it would be handy to send multiple channels of triggers/gates from one pattern.
hpsounds
Here is my Ableton Live session file configured for ES3+ES5 with Silent Way v2 (last paid beta).

modular 1 and modular 2 tracks are sending pitch and velocity on 2 separate pairs of audio outputs (Adat routed to ES3) with the Voice Controller plugin. I use a Live trick : put an External Audio Effect after SW Voice Controller, route the Audio To to an audio pairs of your Adat, route the Audio From from the input of your audio interface where your modular is connected.

The Gate outs are handled by two added tracks named gate 1 and gate 2 where I've put a SW ES5 Controller plugin which receive audio from respectively modular 1 and modular 2, output 3/4 from SW Voice Controller. Check on the SW Voice Controller output matrix tab how I've routed the different signals : output 1 -> pitch, output 2 -> velocity, output 3 -> gate. For the gate output, I've mixed a positive Gate with a negative Trig (read this topic for more information : https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65665 ).

I hope it will help you !

Hédi K.
os
Quote:
If all the gates could be different midi notes in the same pattern it would be great and easier to program...

Quote:
I wanna know this too, it would be handy to send multiple channels of triggers/gates from one pattern.

Yes, all the gates can be MIDI notes in the same pattern. I only split them into different patterns in the video to make it easier to mute each channel individually. They're all sending MIDI to the same destination, so could just as well all be one pattern. See this video:
os
Quote:
A beat with only gates out of the ES-5 like in this video but with a ES-5

That should simply be a case of loading up an ES-5 Controller and enabling the gates on channel 1 (set 'Gate 1 MIDI Channel' to 1), and then sending the right MIDI notes (the 8 notes from 48 and up).
Protofrangiste
Thanks Hedi K! Merci beaucoup !
That seems to be a clever solution...
I'm not at home right now but I will try that tonight and let you know if it works...

Skol !
os
Quote:

Live set with exactly that attached.
Protofrangiste
Wow, that's great ! Thanks Os, I didn't see your first replies, sorry...

I will try this tonight as well! nanners
dowhilex
os wrote:
Quote:

Live set with exactly that attached.

im on mac and this file doesnt work for me. it says it cant find the plugins and thus all settings are lost.

could you post a screen capture showing whats going on with the es5 controller?
os
You probably need to install the VST version as well as the AU.
dowhilex
im using the supplied (vc6_es5g.als.zip) live template and i can get the gate for each voice to work individually (with some minor tweaking with the es-5 controller), but when i try to get them all working together the minor tweaks that I had to make to get the individual gates to work conflicts with the other gates.

For example to get the gate for the voice 1 to work, I have to se the 'input to gates' knob 1 on the ES-5 controller to 'Gates 1/2'

Then to get the gate for the voice 2 to work, I have to se the 'input to gates' knob 2 on the ES-5 controller to 'Gates 1/1'

But then I go back to play voice 1 and its opening the gate on voice 2

I guess i dont fully understand the Input to Gates, but could anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
os
Is this relevant to you:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacategories.html

?
dowhilex
os wrote:
Is this relevant to you:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacategories.html

?

Yes. I reverted to an old MOTU driver that solved part of my issue. Now the 'input to gates' aligns with the gate signals that Im sending to the ES-5 controller, but its still opening both gates 1 & 2 when I try to just play one voice.

When I send the gate from the VC do I need split the stereo signal before it gets to the ES-5 controller?
os
Depends how you have it set up. IIRC the way to do it in Live is to use the Voice Controller's output matrix to zero out channels that would otherwise conflict.

Does the ES-5 Controller's status display match up with the hardware? E.g. gate 1 would show up as '1', gate 2 would show up as '2', both together would show up as '3' (it's binary).
dowhilex
os wrote:
Depends how you have it set up. IIRC the way to do it in Live is to use the Voice Controller's output matrix to zero out channels that would otherwise conflict.

Does the ES-5 Controller's status display match up with the hardware? E.g. gate 1 would show up as '1', gate 2 would show up as '2', both together would show up as '3' (it's binary).

both gates when used by itself are showing up as 3.
os
You'd better post the Live set, or a screenshot.
dowhilex
os wrote:
You'd better post the Live set, or a screenshot.

Here you go. Thanks!
os
That version wasn't sending any gates at all. I've fixed it - attached.
dowhilex
os wrote:
That version wasn't sending any gates at all. I've fixed it - attached.

Strange, it sends gates for me.

The file that you provided gives me the same results as before.

If I only send one gate per stereo input to the ES-5 controller, it works fine, but that limits me to 4 gates. It just doesnt like multiple gates to the same stereo input to es-5.

If i put the SW smux on voice 1 gate to es-5 channel and flip L on, it opens the proper gate. But voice 2 still opens both gates. If i put the SW smux on the voice 2 gate to es-5 similar to above it only opens gate 1.

Is there something wrong with my es-5? I feel like im close, but i dont know how/what else to troubleshoot?

Should there be anything come from the R channel of my es-5 output?

Im using
Ableton Live 8
OS 10.6.8
Motu MK I @ 48K
ES-3 mkII
ES-5
os
Let's take the ES-5 itself out of the equation - just look at the status display on the ES-5 plug-in itself.

With the file I uploaded,
- if I sent MIDI to the 1st Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '1'
- if I sent MIDI to the 2nd Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '2'
- if I sent MIDI to the 3rd Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '4'
- if I sent MIDI to the 4th Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '8'
- if I sent MIDI to the 5th Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '16'
- if I sent MIDI to the 6th Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '32'

Is that what you see?
dowhilex
os wrote:
Let's take the ES-5 itself out of the equation - just look at the status display on the ES-5 plug-in itself.

First, thank you for your help.

With the file you uploaded,
- if I sent MIDI to the 1st Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '3'
- if I sent MIDI to the 2nd Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '3'
- if I sent MIDI to the 3rd Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '12'
- if I sent MIDI to the 4th Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '12'
- if I sent MIDI to the 5th Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '48'
- if I sent MIDI to the 6th Voice Controller, the ES-5 indicates '48'

Thanks again.
os
That makes no sense.

OK let's step back. What exactly are you doing when "sending MIDI to the first Voice Controller"? Say, from starting up Live and loading the exact set I uploaded. What are you clicking on etc.?
dowhilex
os wrote:
That makes no sense.

OK let's step back. What exactly are you doing when "sending MIDI to the first Voice Controller"? Say, from starting up Live and loading the exact set I uploaded. What are you clicking on etc.?

after i load the set you provided
1) enable monitor 'In' on '1 SW Voice'
2) play a note on my midi controller (Akai LPK25)

3) put monitor back to 'Auto' on '1 SW Voice'
4) enable monitor 'In' on '3 SW Voice'
5) play a note on my midi controller (Akai LPK25)

6) put monitor back to 'Auto' on '3 SW Voice'
7) enable monitor 'In' on '5 SW Voice'
8) play a note on my midi controller (Akai LPK25)

9) etc.
os
This shouldn't matter, but could you try updating to SW 2.2.0?
dowhilex
os wrote:
This shouldn't matter, but could you try updating to SW 2.2.0?

Did not help. However, after a clean reinstall of OSX, ableton, and SW everything is working as it should. Not sure what was conflicting, but its gone now.

Thanks again for being patient and helping me get it running.

Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3