MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

motm/modcan b series in a dotcom cabinet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author motm/modcan b series in a dotcom cabinet
steffengrondahl
Thanks for the diagram. Very usefull (I'm going to expand my dotcom with Modcab B somehow in 2013).

odecahedron wrote:
yeah i dont really see leftover as a big problem - its an aesthetic thing i guess... 'module tetris' so to speak.

I love tetris, which is probably why a hate leftovers and empty space grin At the moment I have a 2U hole in my cabinet at the moment (a module for repair) and it really bothers me sad And all other empty spaces a filled with blank panel (which I obviously love)

odecahedron wrote:
i chose the 22MOTM-18MU cos its about the same approximate length as my Juno which the modular sits above.

Yes my Juno has plenty of room in the keyboard garage underneath my dotcom cabinets. Is it a 6 or 60? (mine is a 6 with a buggy VCF, quite charming)
sandyb
odecahedron

thanks for the very useful addition to this thread thumbs up
odecahedron
steffengrondahl wrote:

Yes my Juno has plenty of room in the keyboard garage underneath my dotcom cabinets. Is it a 6 or 60? (mine is a 6 with a buggy VCF, quite charming)

its a 106 actually, my gear is all on stands so no garage for me... i just wanted the modular + the keys to be about the same general width.

sandyb - no probs, work i slow often so things like this happen wink
The Hamburglar
You can see a real life example of how they line up in my post in the stickie 5u pictures thread below.
Janus
You guys have really thought this stuff out.....and its helping me so much.
Drumdrumdrumdrum
This is good. Thanks
alternating.bit
Hello everyone,
It seems like this thread only addresses wooden cabinets... does this mean that a standard 19" rack with an 8-space rack frame from dotcom will not mix dotcoms with Moon Modular or any other 5U brands?

I'm starting to build my first modular system and would like to know if I can integrate any other brands with the dotcom I'm starting with.

Thanks in advance.
Henfield
Welcome to the forum!

In 5U, there are predominately two different size panel formats, commonly MOTM and MU. MOTM format has panel widths in 1.75" increments with mounting holes at the corners. MU format has 2.125" panel widths, and the mounting holes are at the center of each panel width. This makes it difficult to mix formats when using metal mounting rails, like the ones that you show, as they are drilled and tapped for a particular format.

All that being said, Synthesizers.com modules ( aka " Dotcom"), are MU in format, as well as the Moon modules that you talk about, so they will both mount into the Dotcom Rack Frame that you have pictured.

Please let us know if you have any further questions!
alternating.bit
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Since you said I can ask further questions... What about mos-lab?

http://www.mos-lab.com/#!914/c1b7d

(I tried the URL insert and it wouldn't work...)

[url=http://www.mos-lab.com/#!914/c1b7d]914 Fixed Filter Bank[/url]

EDIT: Or better yet... can someone list for me all compatable brands with dotcom? I understand there are power supply issues as well, so it would be helpful to know if anything can share the power supply I get from dotcom as well - thanks so much.
Henfield
alternating.bit wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Since you said I can ask further questions... Just to recap, with the rack frame photo I posted, you're saying that will properly house dotcom and Moon modules together.

What about mos-lab?

http://www.mos-lab.com/#!914/c1b7d

(I tried the URL insert and it wouldn't work...)

[url=http://www.mos-lab.com/#!914/c1b7d]914 Fixed Filter Bank[/url]

Yes, Mos-Lab uses the same panel format, as well as Club of the Knobs, Suit and Tie Guy (aka STG), Corsynth, SSL, Krisp1 Oakley (He actually makes both MOTM and MU), Analog Craftsman, just to name a few.
alternating.bit
Ha - I edited my post adding a request for other compatibles and you did it anyway - much appreciated.

I'd love a more comprehensive list than "just to name a few" if possible... also what power issues I may face with each.

Thanks again
alternating.bit
Ha - I edited my post adding a request for other compatibles and you did it anyway - much appreciated.

I'd love a more comprehensive list than "just to name a few" if possible... also what power issues I may face with each.

Thanks again
Henfield
alternating.bit wrote:

Thanks again

You may want to check out this thread for the manufacturers: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1727

In terms of power, they mostly adhere to the Dotcom Power specs, although you will need to check on Mos- Lab and COTK.
alternating.bit
Henfield wrote:
You may want to check out this thread for the manufacturers: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1727

In terms of power, they mostly adhere to the Dotcom Power specs, although you will need to check on Mos- Lab and COTK.

Thanks but the very first link that the whole thread refers to is down... apparently Wiki no longer has a 'muffwiggler' page
Henfield
alternating.bit wrote:
Henfield wrote:

Thanks but the very first link that the whole thread refers to is down... apparently Wiki no longer has a 'muffwiggler' page

Keep on going through that thread, the information that you want is in there!
TheEngineer
I Created this quick drawing. Has anyone attempting to build dual sliding nut rails yet to combat this issue?

[/img]
analogjeff
HI I have both in my system.. they play well together..
analogjeff
Are modcan the same size as motm? thanks
sduck
Not exactly, but for all practical purposes they're the same. They'll fit in the same spaces in a MOTM dedicated cabinet, for instance. There are other differences, like the power connections, that are bigger differences.
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
Not exactly, but for all practical purposes they're the same. They'll fit in the same spaces in a MOTM dedicated cabinet, for instance. There are other differences, like the power connections, that are bigger differences.
A minor difference is the panel thickness is a little less than MOTM standard, which doesn't cause problems, it's just noticable . . .once you get over the panel being white! eek! MY ASS IS BLEEDING hihi
coyoteous
14 x 2.125 = 17 x 1.75 = 29.75
DomMorley
sduck wrote:
Not exactly, but for all practical purposes they're the same. They'll fit in the same spaces in a MOTM dedicated cabinet, for instance.

I found Modcan B modules to be 0.5mm wider than standard MOTM. This is worth bearing in mind, as I built a cabinet to fit 3 rows of 12MOTM perfectly, which turned out to be 6mm too small for a row of Modcan.
Mark11Audio
I made this silk screen a few years ago... worked out nicely for the Modcan Quantizer 55B in .com format... it took a little "fanagling" to get it all moved over, but in the end it worked nicely...

~M~ Mr. Green

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2