MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

QPS2 discontinued
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author QPS2 discontinued
zerosum
So the Synthesizer.com QPS2 power supply has been discontinued.
This is kind of unfortunate, because this recent check was set aside to get the QPS2, I have 7 dotcom modules in a QCR8 rack.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to get the dotcom to blacet adapters, and another blacet power supply.

I realize the power is very important(uhh yeah......) but its not a fun thing to spend lots of money on.

If anyone has a used QPS2 they want to get rid of, let me know Mr. Green
suitandtieguy
it was discontinued because Elpac stopped making that supply a while ago.

Roger must have made a lifetime buy and then ran out.

an alternative would be the Elpac bipolar 15V wallwart, the Doepfer 5V regulator slapjob, and one of my distro boards.
zerosum
Thanks for the info.
Henfield
Darn, I was working out the details on a system where I needed one of these power supplies. Where can I find the +/- 15 V Power supply from Elpac?

Mnay thanks for the info,
Bath House
That sucks. It's consistently been the cheapest way to power dotcom stuff. Even adding a rack to a dotcom system, you have to first buy the intake module and then a cable harness for it.
suitandtieguy
the bipolar Elpac supply is available from Mouser. i don't have the p/n offhand.
mikeolson
The QPS2 seems to be available on the synthesizers.com website as of Aug 17th... I don't see the term discontinued anywhere... Hmmm...

I'm glad I own one now anyways:) I started off with the rack frame thinking I was only gonna buy a couple filters for signal processsing, lol:) I'm deep into my second portable cabinet now and I figure keeping the rack and QPS2 around might come in handy in the future...

Hooray for my first post! smile Glad to be here ya'll!

-Mike O
bwhittington
mikeolson wrote:
The QPS2 seems to be available on the synthesizers.com website as of Aug 17th... I don't see the term discontinued anywhere... Hmmm...

I noticed that when checking their website earlier this evening. The price also jumped up $30.

Cheers,
Brian

PS. Welcome to the forum, Mike!
JohnLRice
mikeolson wrote:

I'm glad I own one now anyways:) I started off with the rack frame thinking I was only gonna buy a couple filters for signal processsing, lol:) I'm deep into my second portable cabinet now and I figure keeping the rack and QPS2 around might come in handy in the future...

Hooray for my first post! smile Glad to be here ya'll!

-Mike O

Welcome Mike! w00t
mikeolson
grin Thanks J.L.R! I feel like an idiot for waiting this long to check out this site... By the way I grew up in Gig Harbor:) ... and my first studio gig / internship ever was at Outlaw studios in Tacoma off 38th, across the freeway from the mall:) I heard the place burned down though:( Anyways... smile

-Mike O
Henfield
mikeolson wrote:

Yes, it is available again. I emailed Roger about a month ago on the subject, and after a little hemming and hawing, he decided to order the power supplies and carry them again. The price is increased about $30 from before, but it is such a unique product that it is great that it is being offered again!
zerosum
Henfield wrote:
mikeolson wrote:

Yes, it is available again. I emailed Roger about a month ago on the subject, and after a little hemming and hawing, he decided to order the power supplies and carry them again. The price is increased about $30 from before, but it is such a unique product that it is great that it is being offered again!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING w00t SlayerBadger!
Thats great!
Scaff
I have a QPS2 for sale! Its the old version but i have to ship it from europe!
Peake
$130.00? Can't you get an Eagle or Power One with equivalent voltages and far more amperage for that sort of money?

I really like what Roger is doing, but is this the best solution? (I haven't checked raw PS prices in a while..)
ach_gott
Peake wrote:
$130.00? Can't you get an Eagle or Power One with equivalent voltages and far more amperage for that sort of money?

I really like what Roger is doing, but is this the best solution? (I haven't checked raw PS prices in a while..)

Absolutely... you can get several NOS Power Ones on eBay for that much. But you still need the power distro, etc. and the things are the size of a brick. Presumably people buy this for the small footprint.
Henfield
ach_gott wrote:
Absolutely... you can get several NOS Power Ones on eBay for that much. But you still need the power distro, etc. and the things are the size of a brick. Presumably people buy this for the small footprint.

Exactly, I am in the middle of putting together a "suitcase" dotcom synth, and I will not have any space under the modules for a power supply.

I will hopefully have my QPS2 in a few weeks to power it up!
drewtoothpaste
I'm glad to hear this, I've been considering putting a few .com modules together in a mini-system to accompany my big cabinet and this is what I'd need to power that...
Peake
Okay. This is tiny, extremely cheap, puts out 15V bipolar at 200mV...but the site is still being constructed. Sorry, no 5V on this one, but for $10.50....

http://www.groveaudio.com/onlinestore/power_supplies.aspx
JohnLRice
Here's another good deal . . that I thought I already mentioned but maybe it was in a different thread . . .

ELPAC LINEAR 15/-15V 7.5W Power Supply $9.95 plus $10 shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300340231720

No +5 on this one either but a great deal anyway. Elpac is the same company that makes the DotCom QPS2.

I bought one of these and the seller delivered it quickly and it is as described. I haven't put it under a load yet but I checked it with a meter and it outputs +14.96vdc and -15.02vdc
Henfield
JohnLRice wrote:
Here's another good deal . . that I thought I already mentioned but maybe it was in a different thread . . .

No +5 on this one either but a great deal anyway. Elpac is the same company that makes the DotCom QPS2.

I bought one of these and the seller delivered it quickly and it is as described. I haven't put it under a load yet but I checked it with a meter and it outputs +14.96vdc and -15.02vdc

John, how many mA is the output of this power supply? How are you hooking this up to your modules? Do you have the output go into some type of distro board?
JohnLRice
Henfield wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

John, how many mA is the output of this power supply? How are you hooking this up to your modules? Do you have the output go into some type of distro board?

Here's what it says on it:
ELPAC POWER SYSTEMS
Model: WM071-1950 Power Supply
Input: 120VAC 60Hz 0.16A
Output: +15VDC @ 0.24A, -15VDC @ 0.24A
For use with computer equipment only ( hmmm..... )

I'm not using it at all yet, I just bought it bacause it was a great deal and I "might" use it someday . . .maybe sooner than later but I'm not sure yet.

When I do use it I might just put a 5 pin (or 8 pin) DIN/MIDI receptical on a panel and just plug it in, then on the inside of the rack connect a distro board to the receptical. Or I could mount the whole thing inside the rack, have an AC receptical on a panel and then on the inside cut off the DIN plug and connect the wires to a distro board or just multiple power cables soldered/wire nutted like Synthesizers.com does for their wall wart supply.

One nice feature for frisky DIY folks is that it is held together with three screws, not glued together like a lot of wall warts so you can easily open it up for modifications or repairs etc. hyper See pictures below.

It looks like it might be possible to relatively easily add yourself an additional +5VDC rail since there are additional positions on the circuitboard for a regulator and filter cap etc but . . don't quote or blame me if you can't make it work! (hides) (it might of been designed to use a different transformer when adding +5 because there are also spaces for 4 more diodes to form a second recitifier)

JohnLRice
After thought: Looking at the pictures it dawned on me that one possible easy way to mount this would be to just leave the top off of it which leaves you with a power supply on its own plastic chassis with three mounting holes! Just cut, melt or break off the AC power prongs and then screw the little chassis to the inside of your rack. w00t Then use the usuall AC intlet/power switch combo etc

For live use this may not be a good idea since the transformer etc probably wont stay put if dropped hard. You could actually do the same thing and leave the top on. Just take the top off and then drill into the screw holes until it penetrates (mmmmmm Drunken Homer Simpson) the top. Then replace the top and run really long bolts/screws through the holes to attach to your case.
Peake
JohnLRice wrote:

A switching supply? It's certainly possible, but...???
JohnLRice
Peake wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

A switching supply? It's certainly possible, but...???

Yeah, not sure. It's not a switching supply at all. Maybe that's just some sort of classification thing they use on all their products which indicates it's to be used in electronics applications and not for motors, heating elements etc. . . . .
daverj
I believe it is to distinguish it from their medical grade power supplies. About 1/2 the power supplies that Elpac makes are commercial grade, the other half are medical grade.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2