MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oakley PSU problems
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Oakley PSU problems
robnybod
Hello,

This is my first post so, hi guys!

So this is the problem: I recently just got an Oakley PSU. This morning when I hooked up the supply for the first time (running off a center tapped transformer) it worked perfectly. I got exactly +15v across the +15v and 0v terminals and -15v across the -15v and 0v terminals and 30 across the -15v and 15v terminals. All good. But then I plugged in a module (Yusynth VCA, runs on ±15v) and all I got was static out of the module, nothing was getting too hot though. I checked the power supply again and both outputs were completely inconsistent going from between about 6 to 12v randomly on each side. Turned everything off and reset everything but still the same issue. I’m really confused and upset that the power supply I had working this morning was just destroyed by my module. If anyone’s knows why this happened and how I could fix it, I’d love to know.

Thanks in advance!
Synthbuilder
This sounds like a grounding wiring problem rather than a fault. Perhaps the 0V connection has not been made to the module or perhaps your meter is not connected to the right 0V.

Is the power supply still working properly if you remove the module?

Tony
robnybod
Yes, I disconnected the module and tested the power supply alone same problem.
Synthbuilder
robnybod wrote:
Yes, I disconnected the module and tested the power supply alone same problem.

Sorry for the delay in replying. It was a holiday weekend here in the UK.

Did you sort this out? If not, I'm going to need to know some voltages. The PSU should be plugged in but not connected to any module.

Do you have the -ve and +ve LEDs on the board? Are they both lit?

What's the voltage (DC) across the smoothing caps? You can measure the voltage across C7 and then C8.

What's the voltage across the +15V terminal and the -15V terminal?

Can you upload a photo of the power supply board and transformer?

Tony
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1