MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tony, any more pics of your Aluminium modular?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Author Tony, any more pics of your Aluminium modular?
drip.feed
Hi Tony

I want to start DIYing MOTM modules and would like to choose a different panel finish that the regular black MOTM.

I've been looking at this delicious modular of yours for inspiration. Have you got any more pics of this, or even pics of other panels and finishes?

Thanks.
Synthbuilder
drip.feed wrote:
Have you got any more pics of this, or even pics of other panels and finishes?

Unfortunately, I haven't any more photos that are any better than that one. I currently sorting out a new modular for myself (mostly built from all the prototype modules I have hanging around the workshop) which will probably be in a big wooden case. I was tempted by another rack sized system but once you go over 20 module widths it either has to grow sideways or ever further upwards which wouldn't suit my (lazy arsed) workflow.

The main reason I went with the natural panels was because:

1. I wanted something different.
2. The matt black knobs (from Rapid) are a lot cheaper than the Moog style knobs.
3. Natural coloured anodized panels are more colour consistent across batches.

The panels are more expensive than basic black with white infill but it's only a small difference.

The only reason I don't go the Bridechamber panel route is that my module builds are almost invariably the prototypes so Scott has not had the time to make panels for me.

On most of the modular project pages there is a photo of the back of the module using the same natural finish panels. Although, here's a close up of the SVCO front panel showing the detail of the coloured legending:

Tony
drip.feed
Thanks Tony.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that the white infill looks so legible against the alu panel whereas the black doesn't.

I'm looking for something different too, but I'm not sure what. Your MOTM layouts on coloured or maybe powder-coated Shaeffer panels might be the easiest route to take. I have also asked Ben at Resynthesis about possible panel options. The third option is to dress your kits in Moog panels since I already have a DotCom modular. Decisions...decisions...
Chopper28
Tony - I was interested to read your comment about consistency of coloured panels. I started down the black Schaeffer route but after 3 expensive dual width panels, gave up on them. All were a quite different shade, one of them a very dark blue. Went Bridechamber instead. Maybe not quite the same quality, but consistent. Very pleased with the result.

Malcolm
drip.feed
Chopper28 wrote:
Tony - I was interested to read your comment about consistency of coloured panels. I started down the black Schaeffer route but after 3 expensive dual width panels, gave up on them. All were a quite different shade, one of them a very dark blue. Went Bridechamber instead. Maybe not quite the same quality, but consistent. Very pleased with the result.

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm - I'm exploring getting Bronze panels but I would be furious if they weren't all the same colour. Dammit. But I'm trying to avoid black. Sounds like I have a long road ahead of me...
magneticweb
I got a natural finish panel from FPE for my Journeyman filter. Looks amazing. I think my next case will be all natural finish panels, inspired by the photos above.
krisp14u
drip.feed wrote:
I'm exploring getting Bronze panels but I would be furious if they weren't all the same colour. Dammit. But I'm trying to avoid black. Sounds like I have a long road ahead of me...

Maybe ask Julian(The Beast) to get you a full sheet of bronze pay for it and keep it all for yourself then the colour should stay the same
The initial outlay may be more but at least you would have a consistent colour
drip.feed
krisp14u wrote:
drip.feed wrote:
I'm exploring getting Bronze panels but I would be furious if they weren't all the same colour. Dammit. But I'm trying to avoid black. Sounds like I have a long road ahead of me...

Maybe ask Julian(The Beast) to get you a full sheet of bronze pay for it and keep it all for yourself then the colour should stay the same
The initial outlay may be more but at least you would have a consistent colour

Yeah, that's the obvious route to take: get all my panels made at once.

Paul, where do you and Scott and all the other module vendors get your panels done? And are they silk screened or a different technique?
krisp14u
I get my MOTM panels from Scott at Bridechaimber he gets a good price by getting them made in bulk

The thing about one off panels is they are expensive

The engraved panels from Julian I was thinking if you pay for the metal he may be able to hold it for you and you just pay for the engraving when and as you need it
So your not paying for all the panels in one go but have the same colour from the anodising process

This is just an idea and you would need to broach the subject with the Julian
lysander
Anyone know where I can get such a case? looks like the dimensions are quite ideal.
Synthbuilder
lysander wrote:
Anyone know where I can get such a case? looks like the dimensions are quite ideal.

Have a look here:

http://www.oakleysound.com/modules.htm

That's for the UK but you should be able to find custom flightcase manufacturers in most places.

Tony
lysander
Thanks Tony !
I was actually just about to edit my post, I also found these references in the FAQ and have emailed them.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Oakley Sound Systems  
Page 1 of 1