MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[IN STOCK] L-1 Tube VCA (Mouser card added page 24)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author [IN STOCK] L-1 Tube VCA (Mouser card added page 24)
L-1
Info here: http://l-1.su/TubeVCA.html

TUBE VCA / DISTORTION / WAVESHAPER / TIMBRAL GATE / etc.

Finally, after two months of waiting for Farnell's license, I finished to build a prototype of Tube VCA. This design is inspired by Ken Stone's Tube VCA and based on 60s-70s soviet tube 1Ж24Б. (I've contacted with Ken and got his blessing. Hi specified to write 'inspired by' since it's modified unofficial release. Thanks Ken for help and sharing!)
I considered the mods described at e-m forum, Thanks to PrimateSynthesis for that great work http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-26469.html .
The project will be available as PCB + panels + tube set in October. Boards will be 2mm black/gold of course.
I've bought 100 1Ж24Б 'new old stock' tubes from an old man from Murmansk. So tubes quantity is limited. Some tubes have 'tested for military use' stamp and they will go to first buyers.
Here are photos, schematic and PCB. The prototype works & sounds perfect.
The device has feedback loop which is normaled to IN2 jack, so IN2 pot controls feedback amount when nothing feed into IN2 jack and feedback switch is on. When jack feed into IN2, IN2/FEEDB pot controls IN2 level. Distortion/clean switch controls two modes with more or less distortion which amount can be trimmed with trimpots through holes at panel. Drive/IN1 pot controls IN1 level. GAIN pot controls gain offset. CV pot controls gain CV level.

frequencycentral
Great looking build! As it happens I have a tube VCA on my breadboard at the moment, but I'm using 2 x Sylvania 5840. This is the tube you're using?

http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/1p24b_v_1p24b_v.html
L-1
I've placed on a panel 1Ж24Б. Great soviet mini-tube.
otherunicorn
cool! looks good.
Memory_Leak
nice design L-1 maybe grab one smile
spbaker
SlayerBadger! That's really nice!
Will the kit be surface mount stuff? Or thru hole?

Any idea of cost?

Love yr work thumbs up
L-1
I will offer SMD air soldering service - 10$ per board, it's for parts and my work.

The device can work from 15V with minor changes.
Kalerne
want want want ! love
ringstone
Oh... Wow! That does look very nice!

Cheers
Blair
theabsent
I was going to order a second CGS Tube VCA soon. Now it will be on hold until october : )
raisinbag
Super cool, When it is ready do we buy from web site or like a group buy kind of situation?
L-1
I will inform. Buy from site. Any pre-pay.
mono-poly
Awsome want it!
Any news about the vactrol filter?
L-1
Quote:
Any news about the vactrol filter?

Boards are on order. They have delivery time 25-30 days. So I think second half of September I will get them.
simfonik
I'd like one of these. I really like that you're putting back panels on your designs.
ikkini
love love love
jeannot
Nice work, also love the back panel. Would definitely be interested in one...or three thumbs up
marvkaye
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the advantage/disadvantage to the tube VCA vs one that is all solid state?

<m>
Peake
Thanks L-1, and thank you Ken!
L-1
marvkaye wrote:
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is the advantage/disadvantage to the tube VCA vs one that is all solid state?

<m>

A tube gives very nice sound coloring and overdrive / distortion. Will record samples soon.
regenbot
I'd like one if i get the tube too. Great looking modules applause
mOBiTh
Is the tube hardwired here?
L-1
Yes, but I made pads suitable for MTA-100 headers, so it can be made removable.
defenestration
wow L-1 you are trying to take all my money!

looks like the 1J24B tubes are pretty widely available? I would assume no one is making them new manufacture though?

what's the current draw? looks like 12hp?

we're not worthy
transistor logic
nice project , might be up for one !!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 1 of 15