MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY Frenzy- is it normal to have like 15 projects lined up?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author DIY Frenzy- is it normal to have like 15 projects lined up?
xonetacular
I discovered this subforum a few days ago and I seem to have already started and order parts for like 10 different projects and parts for the first haven't even come in yet.

I thought I was addicted to eurorack when I got into a few months ago and now I don't see how I will ever save for built modules- with DIY it is cheap but the runs are so limited it is almost more addictive since you feel you need to get in on PCBs, parts, and panels before it's too late and they are no longer available.

I think I have like 8-11 projects/modules I've started getting supplies for already and more I want to start on...

Anyway- thanks for making the little community so awesome and people sharing their designs and projects. I thought muffs was a great community already but this sub set takes it to another level with people sharing so much stuff for little to no profit. 8_)
negativspace
Only 15? 8_)

Yes, a healthy backlog is both normal and appropriate... as long as you're making progress I wouldn't worry.
Dego
negativspace wrote:
Only 15? 8_)

Yes, a healthy backlog is both normal and appropriate... as long as you're making progress I wouldn't worry.

This is so true. I remember when I had 15 wink

I always say that I will build over several years... Then there is always room for some pcbs more to buy.
xpander
negativspace wrote:
Only 15?

THIS.
nickster
The backlog is not the problem. But the nervous glances at the swiftly diminishing empty spaces on one's current case with the impending sense of forebodance that a new monster case is soon to be born, most assuredly is. thumbs up

A PCB can lie about waiting to be populated. A case screams to be made and once done cries out to the world " Hail Daisy mother of Moo fill me up ladie"
raisinbag
I'm guilty. Only been a year since I started building synth stuff again and am past the 15 mark for sure.
spotta
raisinbag wrote:
I'm guilty. Only been a year since I started building synth stuff again and am past the 15 mark for sure.

+1
Will have a count up in the morning.
chinard
xpander wrote:
negativspace wrote:
Only 15?

THIS.

I agree! not this shit again
CJ Miller
15 would be nice... I am in the triple digits here
maskull
Guilty.

Most of my backlog is created due to my reasoning that I can save money by putting together one giant Mouser order to save on shipping. I always forget to order something but won't reorder unless I need a bunch of stuff.
ABC
bulk buying components is the easiest way to fool yourself that just one more project can't be a bad thing.

thumbs up
ringstone
Well, that gave me a good laugh.

Your adventure is only just beginning my friend!

Cheers
Blair
moogah
negativspace wrote:
Only 15? 8_)

+1

PCBs are cheap, just make sure you save enough documentation to build the thing when you finally get to it.
zoot horn rollo
maskull wrote:
Guilty.

Most of my backlog is created due to my reasoning that I can save money by putting together one giant Mouser order to save on shipping. I always forget to order something but won't reorder unless I need a bunch of stuff.

This is exactly my position! Dead Banana
Luka
im down to about 4 unpopulated pcbs and a bunch waiting on panels / final parts

getting content with my modular

though i am looking at sequencers and drum machines, effect boxes now smile
marvkaye
moogah wrote:
negativspace wrote:
Only 15? 8_)

+1

PCBs are cheap, just make sure you save enough documentation to build the thing when you finally get to it.

Whoa, is that a good point or what? I've got gigabytes of saved off web pages, PDFs of schematics & datasheets & other "stuff", FPD files, DWG & DXF files, Eagle files, captured bits & snippets of discussion threads, JPGs, and whatever other sort of data is relevant to each of the many projects I've managed to commit to, invest in, start building, or think about. Then there are the hard copies of BOMs & schematics & building guides and operational stuff in a batch of notebooks that get appended to as boards are populated, with highlighting and notes and whatever.... it's amazing to me. And the list goes on.....

<marv>
Juxwl
nickster wrote:
The backlog is not the problem. But the nervous glances at the swiftly diminishing empty spaces on one's current case with the impending sense of forebodance that a new monster case is soon to be born, most assuredly is. thumbs up

A PCB can lie about waiting to be populated. A case screams to be made and once done cries out to the world " Hail Daisy mother of Moo fill me up ladie"

Fuck yeah! applause

Empty space starts the backlog...backlog creates new empty space. Repeat.
sduck
You can stop? Say it isn't so. I'm about at the hundred module point, and have pcbs here for maybe that many more.

The one thing I try to do is only have one project going at a time. This doesn't always work, but it makes life a bit more sane.
pugix
I don't think I've ever had 15 projects in play. I like to obsess over each one, and so I need to concentrate. hihi

My building slowed down when my cabinets filled up. But I've found a way to continue. I have a 2U high 19-inch space now. My current obsession is filling that with one panel and 11 modules behind it. Is that one project or 11? There will be 5 or 6 PC boards. screaming goo yo
jonbstevens
I have every intention of stopping building modules once my case is full -- which should be very soon.
raisinbag
jonbstevens wrote:
I have every intention of stopping building modules once my case is full -- which should be very soon.

Damn, I can't use that excuse being a carpenter!!!!!! It's easier for me to make a new case than it is a module!!!!
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Here's how I slowed down the DIY process: I decided to make my own boards, and mostly design all my own stuff. End result: my modular is still pretty small, but my design business is booming!
Willzyx
With the amount of projects that are being made nowadays its hard to keep up. I have a huge backlog!

I wish I would have designed my panels before stuffing the bords..... Dead Banana
MR-808
Define "normal". ;)
active
i have about 15 compressors, eqs, and others just for my recording studio to make! then a rhodes to refurbish and a polysix.

then about 30 modules. woops!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3