MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Show us your Bugbrand Set up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Show us your Bugbrand Set up
themanthatwasused
Hi Guys,

While awaiting to start my journey into BugBrand Modular, I am looking at a lot of set up here and placement of modules that would work in real life.
I was thinking if you guys could be so kindly as to post your setup here as a lot of the BugBrand modulars are scattered either on the Frac or in the Banana system pictures.

What I had in mind is a repository of set ups and a bit of an explanation why it works out for the individual users. This may be a great resource for young bug users like myself.

Hope this does not come out as a bit too much.

Cheers,
Harvey BugBrand!

Edit:
To give you an idea of what I have in mind as a 2 frame setup will be the following:
Top: SYN2B/ SYN2C/ SYN1/ PRC5/ PRC5/ PRC3A/ PRC3A/ ENV1/ ENV1/ UTL3
Bottom: UTL1/ CTL1/ UTL2C/ PRC1/ PRC1/ UTL5/ UTL2
BugBrand
Here are some pics I uploaded over the last 2 years...

(and making this STICKY)

Current Setup

Current setup with external bits

Recent 1Frame Synth Voices

AOS System (late 2011)

2 x 1Frame (late 2011)

2FrameShallow August 2011

1Frames March 2011
Gringo Starr
Dear Mr. Muffwiggler,

I've seen a picture your colossal BugBrand system. I'd say it belongs here as well. Let's see it. :-)
tragedybysyntax
Here is ma babeh as of this past weekend... of coarse I took it on vacation and recorded material..... twisted
Gringo Starr
There we go!!!! This thread needs some more pictures!!!! Someday... someday I will have a picture in here too. Several I assume. hihi

Looks nice Tragedybysyntax!
themanthatwasused

The first incarnation of the system:
Consists of the following modules in order from the left:
SYN2B- Quadrature Sine
UTL2C- Matrix Mixer
PCR3A- SV Filter
UTL3- Dual VCA
UTL2- Output Module
I still haven't unlocked the matrix mixer module, thinking of having it outboard since the system is still in its infancy.
A lot of things are still lacking but at least some core modules are already there for me to play around.
The filter is great, I can't wait to explore the post of otoskope.
Sounds will be posted after I get my head around them.
Thanks Tom!
tragedybysyntax
Hey man, the matrix mixer took me awhile to wrap my head around but... once you realize what it can do... it's pretty incredible, and I'm going to snag a 2nd one! Even things as simple as needing to invert a cv signal.... Just remember that it allows you to have 4 separate mixes of the 4 inputs that you have going in. And then in each row.. if you don't want to use that input channel... hit the switch to off for it or, keep the dial near the middle for no attenuation either way - or +. And yeah.. mixing different audio sources is a way as well... feedback loops...etc... Seriously wicked module, and much used within the bug system!
tragedybysyntax
Here is a better shot of my system. Need to start filling holes! I was rocking 2 of the old school frames... then happen to move into this GIANT hotel. I think it's... halfway full if you count the blanks and so on and so on... smile

Gringo Starr
tragedybysyntax wrote:
Hey man, the matrix mixer took me awhile to wrap my head around but... once you realize what it can do... it's pretty incredible, and I'm going to snag a 2nd one! Even things as simple as needing to invert a cv signal.... Just remember that it allows you to have 4 separate mixes of the 4 inputs that you have going in. And then in each row.. if you don't want to use that input channel... hit the switch to off for it or, keep the dial near the middle for no attenuation either way - or +. And yeah.. mixing different audio sources is a way as well... feedback loops...etc... Seriously wicked module, and much used within the bug system!

Do you have any demos you could post of this module in action?

A full rack of BugBrand is the nicest looking modular system ever. And they sound just as good as they look. I bet you can't wait to have that rack finished. I can hardly wait and I just got put on the list!
tragedybysyntax
Uhhhhhm, yes I actually do. I've got a hot date coming over tonight tho so... tomorrow I"ll try to go thru the stuff I recorded over the weekend.

Yeah... it's gorgeous just to look at without being powered up, let alone the sound.... wow the sound.....
I can't wait of coarse! Functionality wise tho, what I have already... having way more fun than I ever expected. Having 2 different issue PT Delays has been a staple thus far wink
miditerranean
My Bomber Bug is offically full! Did some rearranging today so here is it's current arrangement. All in all, 233 banana jacks, 144 knobs, 87 switches, 13 buttons, and 6 touch pads!

Here are some older pics from the past couple years or so:

KNYST
Very nice pics! SlayerBadger!
ooo, that SYN2Bx... yum.
a scanner darkly
Where things are at right now.

Some of you might recognize some of the modules - thank you, and thank you Tom!
miditerranean
Nice! I recognize your acrylic cheeks. How do you like having two Matrix Mixers? I still need to get one.
a scanner darkly
miditerranean wrote:
Nice! I recognize your acrylic cheeks.

- thank you! Those are the creation of Low-Gain, they look great.

miditerranean wrote:
How do you like having two Matrix Mixers? I still need to get one.

I ended up with 2 matrix mixers and at first thought I would trade one, but I have a feeling I might keep both. The intention is to mostly use one for audio and the other one for modulation. I like how easy it makes to control variations in one place, for both audio and modulation or even pitch CV, like mixing a sequencer out as the main pitch and then gradually mixing in arpeggios from CTL running at higher rate (gotta try that actually!).

Also handy to run 2 outs as stereo and use matrix mixer to create variations between the channels. And should try some crazy feedback patch sometime, taking outs from one matrix, mixing them in another and sending them back to the first...
numan7
lol well even though i :hate: you now... congrats, scanner-darkly!

tis a beautiful little system!

cheers
anadeji

primary timbre & voltage generation / control, greatest instrument i have ever used.

instrumentation: bugbrand ltd.
power & distro: hinton instruments
chassis: goike
music: "she's a lady" - tom jones
theparegorickid
cry
themanthatwasused
anadeji
The Blue and the wood looks great together!
It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners sad banana Dead Banana
BugBrand
You know I want a copy of that picture for my office wall!
Lovely composition.

(hmm what is top right?! confused...)
pulse_divider
I wish I had a whole system. I've been picking up a couple of secondhand modules here and there and now have a full row, just need to DIY a banana<->3.5mm converter panel.

pugix
Here's my starter system so far. Something seems to be missing. hmmm.....

It's amazing the sounds I can get with just this much.
themanthatwasused
The system is updated with three more additons, this will eventually be a skiff but for now this is the main system while I await for the custom enclosure that I designed to be made.
One frame full and encased in my "Tool Bugs"

Ready to go! There will be a session with a friend this coming weekend.

The side cheeks is from a leftover vinyl sample that I cut to size thanks to Tom's drawings.
The modules are as follows:
DIY Mini Power
SYN2B- Quadrature Sine
ENV1- Attack/Decay
PRC5- Wavefolder
PCR3A- SV Filter
PRC4- Dual LPG
UTL3- Dual VCA
UTL2C- Matrix Mixer
UTL2- Output Module
a scanner darkly
That looks like a great portable case - even some space for patch cables, neat. And perfect colour too!
bakedcircuit
coming together slowly, but surely... few minijacks in there for the time being. It's peanut butter jelly time!

dogoftears

my hilariously ghetto bug setup. these not-even-2 racks are so powerful i'm basically going to sell all my euro methinks.
otoskope
Love the DVD frame supports. Stylish and intellectual at the same time!
dogoftears
otoskope wrote:
Love the DVD frame supports. Stylish and intellectual at the same time!

yes i found it rather coincidental that when making those DVD stacks in a stoned out frenzy, clockwork orange and faces ended up at the top. it could have just as easily been teenage mutant ninja turtles and the neverending story, also to be found in those piles.
themanthatwasused
Great looking systems there bakedcircuits and dogoftears.
numan7

it's a BugBrand! 'double-joy weevil' smile

cheers
BugBrand
YOW!

(Ha, funny oversized switch condoms on those mini-switches -- never found any quite suitable (compared with the old bigger switches))
KNYST
double weevil applause
BananaPlug
Riddle: What's blue and sticky and full of Bugs?

otoskope
...this thread!
themanthatwasused
numan7
That's just plain NASTY!
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
miditerranean
numan7 wrote:
it's a BugBrand! 'double-joy weevil' smile

cheers

I'd call it Weevil Knievel
numan7
twisted but it's such a really, really good, obedient and knievelish kind of nasty, is it not, themthatwasused!?

MY ASS IS BLEEDING the amount of variation that is possible by varying just the of just few controls voltages is so amazing and fun! i really enjoy feeding the vca-driveswith audio rate weevil vco outputs and then gating them open-closed with two of the other weevil outputs switched to lfo-rates.

meh hmm, but the sound quality in this video is quite nasty, i must admit, though.... so i think i'll do a longer audio-only recording of the same patch later this evening or tommorrow night, and put the soundcloud sonogram over in the 'hail to the ancient weevils' thread i started last year! Rockin' Banana!

cheers
themanthatwasused
Great proof of concept! thumbs up
I love this type of conceptual set ups, so as you are exploring a totally different territory as other users in the same format/ maker.
themanthatwasused
Just got the case this morning! From 8u to 9u.
Now I should order another frame to round this off before powering them all together.
a100user
My new case designed by me and build by Ross (microscopial) Lamond.

Well chuffed thumbs up

Plus a bit more room to expand if needed.
dan_p
Damn, what an awesome case. That Scottish bastard Ross Lamond does good work! I bet it looks even better in the flesh. You lucky boy.
a100user
Thanks Dan, yes it does look better in the wood.

100% Ash with a oil finish. I'm loving it.

Hats off to Ross for realising my ideas
dan_p
i got to see some of Ross's cases in person at one of the leeds do's, his work is just first class.
NYMo
Beautiful case and system

Cheers
tIB
Mission complete!

Untitled by sonofprent, on Flickr

I thank you mr bugs! we're not worthy BugBrand!
Microscopial
dan_p wrote:
Damn, what an awesome case. That Scottish bastard Ross Lamond does good work! I bet it looks even better in the flesh. You lucky boy.

Hahaha. You just wanna kiss me. Ya big poof. See ya at the next meet
a100user
Amazing rig tIB
BugBrand
Amazing from both David & Andy!
indexofmetals
absolutley fantastic cases & systems. Ross does good work.
a100user
My baby in all it's glory at the Brighton Modular meet - around the 2 min mark.

tragedybysyntax

Just installed my 2nd filter, noisecrusher and syn2c tonight!
themanthatwasused
The current state of things:

9U Flight case with 6U almost full and a standalone 8 x 8 Passive Matrix Mixer built for me by a friend.
The patch sounds like this
oljud
Neat mixer!
themanthatwasused
oljud wrote:
Neat mixer!

Thanks Max.
She's still a bit rough in the edges.

Not sure if I wanna change the knobs though as they are a bit stiff.
screaming goo yo
oljud
Depends on your playing style I guess.

One thing that is a bit odd is having the outputs on the right instead of on the top. I can see how it saves space though.
fredguy
up close and personal...

polyroy
Just waiting on some cables to power up the top and bottom bus boards (hence why a lot of modules aren't screwed in) but here's where I'm at.

tIB
^ Feeling somewhat guilty, Andy sprung into action:

polyroy
Ah cheers mate! My above post wasn't a hint whatsoever, I've been real busy just having fun with one row of beautiful Bug.
pas
moog55
beautiful pas. the triple quad sines and plexi cheeks seal the deal for me.
phisynth
a100user
Is that a walker or a static bug?

Brilliant
otoskope
Beautiful! Where does one get such a cute creature? Do they come in blue, too? SlayerBadger!
phisynth
It's a walking one. The antennas act as collision detectors so it change direction when touching something. I have it for a couple of years, and it was a gift from my wife, but I don't remember (or even know) where it comes from (women have so many secrets). Will ask her and report back wink
otoskope
Wow. Can it move on the bug panel, among all the knobs and jacks? Then it might be something for NASA... smile

Looking forward to more info!

/Palle
otoskope
Google is our friend:
http://www.robotshop.com/hexbug-micro-robotic-creature-bravo-green-4.h tml
a scanner darkly
If only it was big enough to attach a BoardWeevil onto its back... Imagine letting it walk around with LDRs on, it'd be a riot! w00t
phisynth
otoskope wrote:
Google is our friend:
http://www.robotshop.com/hexbug-micro-robotic-creature-bravo-green-4.h tml

thumbs up
numan7
SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t

Rockin' Banana!

cheers
themanthatwasused
numan7
So pretty and mean!
dogoftears
current setup until Goikes finishes my bugbrief:

numan7
w00t did you get the goikes bugbrief yet, dogoftears? i'm very interested to see how it turns out! around here, my BugBrand! system has grown quite a bit, and bifurcated this week:

we're not worthy
...is now the main system, and:

...is now the 'space weevil' !!

woah and tragedybysyntax's epinasty (which is his metalwork company) endcheeks, that arrived with my latest expansion, are unbelievably beautiful imho - probably the prettiest endcheeks i have ever seen on *any instrument*!!! Lotsa Love

hmmm..... i think i may order a matching set for the 'space weevil' one of these days...

cheers
themanthatwasused
numan7
Congrats on the aquisition!
thumbs up
they have grown exponentially, as bugs turn up only when sold in SET.
polyroy
izzymonkey
Very nice!
moog55
tIB
Wowsers! Well done indeed sir!
phisynth
geez, it became a real monster eek!
tIB
While the cat's away me and the dog are setup in the living room...

I've missed my bug.
moog55
looks like the perfect setup, Andy! applause
tIB
Yeah we had a good day; went out for a long walk and then had some friends over...

Out of shot is an overstayer fet between bug and betatrack.
pas
moog55 wrote:

ga' dam!

nice man, you put that together like a soldier
moog55
SlayerBadger!
dogoftears
sneak peek, more pics to come, massive studio clean up kind of in the middle of etc... but had to celebrate this gopro a bit.

dogoftears
sharper/whole/other side around:

themanthatwasused

Spamming across the board because I’m a proud dad. After a year from when i started I can finally say that my system is “ complete”

+Two bugbrand modular panel:
Top:
PRC2B- Noisecrusher/ SYN2B-Quadsine/ SYN2B-Quadsine/SYN1-Weevil/ E350-Morphing Terrarium/ UTL3- Dual VCA/ UTL5- Fade Pan/ UTL2- Output Mix
Bottom:
ENV1- Attack Decay/ ENV1- Attack Decay/ DD2- LFO DC Mixer/ PRC5 Wavefolder/ PRC3A- SV Filter/ PRC3A- SV Filter/ PRC1- PT Delay/ PRC1- PT Delay/ DD1- Modulator Low Pass Gate/ UTL4- Dual DC Mixer/ / UTL2- Output Mix
+ NLC Cellular Automata panel.
A real deep module, and will take some time before I wrap my head around this panel.

Really excited to be able to sit down and run this thru paces.
shady smiles
Baby steps.

My lunchbreak 'groovebox'. Hoping to put together a full frame (or two) complement real soon!

This is fun!
shady smiles
scanner's frame landed and is just getting settled.

w00t
a scanner darkly
SlayerBadger!

those poor euro modules look like they're wondering if they're gonna get bananafied at some point!
shady smiles
a scanner darkly wrote:
SlayerBadger!

those poor euro modules look like they're wondering if they're gonna get bananafied at some point!

Ha! And they should. Really it's like Custer's last stand here. Only a few stalwarts are left and they're shaking in their boots!

eek!
dogoftears
tIB
Intruder alert!

miditerranean
^ Looks great with the big blue brothers!
tIB
They do! The plan isnt to keep them there though- will live with some metalbox drum bits and a hex zone once Ive sorted cutting some rails down.
a100user
More Red Bugs here - stonking modules

BananaPlug
DRM1 & DRM1X are on the way! I'm readying a small setup based around them.
EDIT: There here! New pic and a quick sound check. I did not wail away at the knobs only because that could take a long time. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Here's another track. Same setup, more fiddling, a bit of reverb.

Will be used with the system below but should be good by itself.
phisynth
Nice ! But I'd stick some logic modules in there if I were you thumbs up
BananaPlug
UTL6B "Active Switches" has a flip flop and the two switch sections can be used in logical ways. Not a complete substitute for a logic module but it's what I have. If this combo doesn't quite work out I have a DIY panel to convert the dual filter to 1fu giving space for another module.

EDIT: Scroll up for revised post with the red stuff in place etc. hyper
shady smiles
BananaPlug: Nice stand-alone and dance-partner both. Love the inclusion of the miniwave too. I've been thinking about bananafying my MegaWave and this just gives me more motivation!

w00t
shady smiles
Forever I've dreamed of a portable system and I'm nearly there. A couple of shots of my "skybug" in progress.

Lots of folks chipped in to help me get this far (cue up "A little help from my friends"): scanner, pas and moog55 for the lion's share of the modules, goikes for the end-cheeks, Dan @ 4ms for power distro help, Jason @ Control Voltage for finessing the rails, BananaPlug for early advice and, of course Tom for making all of this happen!

Cheers!

Guinness ftw!

-phil
pas
hey phil, what happen'd to "just a 2 frame portable setup, that's all I want." hahaha...meganice man, killt dat shit w00t
shady smiles
pas wrote:
hey phil, what happen'd to "just a 2 frame portable setup, that's all I want." hahaha...meganice man, killt dat shit w00t

I blame you! hihi

But seriously, thanks. Originally I was thinking a smaller system. A kind of voice sidecar for my PB and a complement to my Serge. Once I got a taste though it was a slippery slope to shedding all my euro (except for a Richter/Walekko rack) and going fully bananas. Matthew sealed the deal by sending me those end-cheeks and the skybug project was born. Haven't been this happy since I got my 101.

This is fun!
otoskope
Inspired by the recent wave of photos... I'm on my way to Japan to work on a project ("Octopus") where we feed a modular CVs from a bunch of optical sensors on a film screen, with projections of handmade super8 art films (by Haruka Mitani and Michael Lyons). To be presented in Kyoto (at Urban Guild if anyone is near) on Friday and in London/Goldsmiths at NIME in June-July.

So, here's my travel violin:

Aka my midsized travel system, with modules swapped depending on occasion. This time with focus on continuous signals, so not much clock/gate stuff.

I bring it as a carry-on, in the blue bugbag, very similar to a violin case. So far, the airport staff has not asked any strange questions. I got more raised eyebrows when I travelled with a big gong in my carry-on, recently.

/Palle
otoskope
And Phil - that Skybug is gorgeous! Didn't we all plan to start with a small system? Then something happened...
KNYST
shady, that's insanely beautiful!!!

you and me, otoskope. I use the same live setup size + bag, swapping modules in and out for the perfect patch for the venue thumbs up
Good to hear about flying - haven't brought mine on a plane yet.
BananaPlug
I like Palle's neat little two row box. I should try to find somebody who can make things out of sheet metal.
shady smiles
otoskope wrote:
And Phil - that Skybug is gorgeous! Didn't we all plan to start with a small system? Then something happened...

Thanks! Yeah, funny how modest ideas bloom into grandness. For me, a bigger bug system allowed me to do a net downsize actually. And one less format which has LOTS of benefits.

KNYST wrote:
shady, that's insanely beautiful!!!

you and me, otoskope. I use the same live setup size + bag, swapping modules in and out for the perfect patch for the venue thumbs up
Good to hear about flying - haven't brought mine on a plane yet.

Hey, thanks! Other folks did the hard stuff. smile As for the smaller setups, I like those a lot. A nice feature of this case is that each boat is separately powered. In theory, I could throw just one into a violin case (great idea BTW) and put it under my seat on the plane. It's ~22" which is pushing it as I recall but I may just chance it.
shady smiles
Oh, and Palle, I think I mentioned this elsewhere but I love your travel rig (and by extension yours too KNYST) love
otoskope
Re metalwork - my rig (and Knyst's) is simply two 16FW shallows with Tom's endcheeks. And the bag is actually an official Bugbrand softcase that Tom made a very small batch of a couple fo years ago. But it looks like a violin case. I think I'm gonna start to call it my violin system.... I like the sound of it.

Re the travels, no problems at all this time. No complaints re an extra carry-on, no inspections or anything, actually. Just a quick comment that it's a musical instrument and everyone smiles and thinks you're a crazy virtuoso or something.

/Palle
numan7

Rockin' Banana!

cheers
a100user
Sweet
miditerranean
Looks great, numan7!

I've noticed a few people still have the protective film over their frames. I suppose you don't want to scratch/smudge it up?
shady smiles
Man dual PEQs. Too sweet.

The reds are taking over!

w00t
otoskope
Yes, I remember Tom was mocking me when I did my first bug youtube videos, with the protective film still on. But I was so eager to start playing! It's all off, now, though.
otoskope
Some frames arrived today! So, finally I've got myself an Analog rhythm:

Orange is the new blue.

/Palle
shady smiles
Beautiful Palle! Love the symmetry of the DRM1s and the diode director is really aptly placed. Awesome beat box!

w00t w00t w00t
miditerranean
Fantastic! Loving these mixtures of Red/Blue.
dogoftears
otoskope wrote:
Some frames arrived today! So, finally I've got myself an Analog rhythm:

Orange is the new blue.

/Palle

4 voices + insane sequencing in 6U.
awesome! that setup is inspiring.
w00t
numan7
miditerranean wrote:
Looks great, numan7!

I've noticed a few people still have the protective film over their frames. I suppose you don't want to scratch/smudge it up?

thumbs up thanks, miditerranean!

hmmm..... naah... i suppose i kind of like how cool! i think the 'NITTO DENKO' logo looks, as well as the sage words of advice ("LASERGUARD for Laser Cutting!" -- that are actually quite appropriate for what this system will be intended for and particularly excel at with its dual PEQs (!!) eventually to be joined by one or two of each of the other new wicked-awesome red-series modules, once BugBrand! has them all in production, at which point top three frames will be almost entirely red, with the rest of the blue modules that are not in the lower-most, horizontal frame migrating back to my other 2 x 16 FW BugBrand! 'mini-bug' system that i believe i posted a picture of somewhere earlier in this thread) on the protective film... screaming goo yo

Om and each of the previous owners of these particular frames, of whom there have been at least two, has apparently liked them well enough to leave them on . so i guess i'll probably do the same, and not break that chain (unless they get all scratched up or the colors of the plastic start to fade, etc.).

--

woah awesome double-DRM system otoskope, btw (can't wait until my 2nd set arrives)! w00t

cheers
pas
I can finally say I'm finish'd, swap'd one of my 2 noise crushers for a clk2a (goddamn that took forever to find) thanks richard!...suppose I can start w/ the red stuff now haha...

fredguy
Well done pas applause
shady smiles
Hot stuff pas! Careful with those reds though... I hear they can be addicting... 8_)
themanthatwasused
pas
Good look man. I believe that Bugbrand are one of the few formats that you can easily say "done".
dogoftears
my touring rig for europe--

thread about the tour here--
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116092&highlight=
a100user
Mr Lamond made me a nice case to replace the cardboard effort for the Reds

Once I assemble the parts I'll get a second one too, just so I can be ready for whatever Tom releases.

fredguy
Nice new Lamond case. Guinness ftw!
a100user
Duff, aka sync24, took this great shot of my rig at the recent Brighton meet and I think it's great.

LeftyLogic
a100user wrote:
Duff, aka sync24, took this great shot of my rig at the recent Brighton meet and I think it's great.

woah That's indescribably gorgeous. we're not worthy
I wish I had a bugbrand... waah
a100user
LeftyLogic wrote:

woah That's indescribably gorgeous. we're not worthy
I wish I had a bugbrand... waah

Thank you.

TBH I have yet to see a non gorgeous Bug system, they are all divine IMHO.
LeftyLogic
a100user wrote:
TBH I have yet to see a non gorgeous Bug system, they are all divine IMHO.

I'm with you on that one! Bugbrands and anything Wiard are probably my favorite synths to look at. Something about that blue. love
phisynth
Wonderful pic & system, David... but wait, there's a hole in there hihi
a100user
Thanks guys

hihi hihi

Three holes in fact, please see the trade thread for my wish list Phil.
phisynth
don't count on me to fill your 3 holes at once d'oh!
a100user
phisynth wrote:
don't count on me to fill your 3 holes at once d'oh!

Tea over my laptop oops

Just seeing those words made me spurt.
fredguy

New home built rack. Bottom two rows is a standalone fun machine.
The sequencer can be removed and racked for travel. Top 9u slides
out if needed.
otoskope
we're not worthy applause w00t
!!!
a100user
Yummy rig and versatile too.
KNYST
Lovely, fredguy!
phisynth
fuck yeah SlayerBadger! nanners
pas
so dope Fred, that 2 row standalone looks like insane fun w00t
indexofmetals
with some help from Oljud who traded me a matrix mixer, my portable Bugbrand is now complete.

KNYST
Nice!
otoskope
My bug system got a new output module today... w00t
And it's even blue! BugBrand!

Seriously - a tube mixer that takes modular signal levels, still with plenty of headroom for creative gaining of the tube stages...I'm in blue heaven.
SlayerBadger!
BananaPlug
Great setup! It's peanut butter jelly time!
indexofmetals
Palle, looks fantastic! I am going to have to visit.

I was just thinking about TL Audio tube mixers on the drive to work this morning and wondering if anyone I knew had one. I'm considering one for the studio that's going above the garage that's getting built in the spring.
otoskope
I've only had it for a day, and just made some quick tests, but all is just as good as I hoped, so far. Since most of my recordings of my modular are live-takes with various fiddlings and knobbings as I go, I want to be able to live-mix a number of sonics structures, with a couple of sends for reverb etc. I rarely do serious editing/mixing in a computer afterwards, only slight mastering. So I thought this would be a good solution, and a used M3 turned up nearby.

The best thing is that it takes the modular signal levels well, no output modules needed in between, and still covers the whole clean-coloured-distorted gain range. I'm gonna put a few bananas on the plate going across the boot systems going directly to the line-ins.

The added bonus is that the TL Audio EQ is very nice! And this one has four bands per channel. No Q control, but I can live with that (the Bug PEQs comes to rescue for extreme creative EQing!).

So, yes - so far, so good. I'll keep you updated on further progress.

/Palle

just 2 rows of it there, there is another 1 and 1/4 rows to the lefT(need the rack ears from bugs to come in and a new rack stand!), and another 1 and 3/4 to come. more pics to come when it all arrives hyper
otoskope
Bugs with Modcan A and Fenix (?) ! Great combination. But it doesn't seem like the boss allows you to play right now... 8_)

/Palle
otoskope wrote:
Bugs with Modcan A and Fenix (?) ! Great combination. But it doesn't seem like the boss allows you to play right now... 8_)

/Palle

yup! fenix 2. works great with everything so far. They all work great together. In addition to them, a serge is joining them, for DUSG action hyper even with all this great stuff, i'm still GASing for the DRM1x! ....and an eventide space in banana format!!! thumbs up

The cat's name is chicken & woffles, and he would not let me patch whatsoever. doing whatever he could to get my attention...I think tonight I have to lock him out hihi
numan7
3001 wrote:

hihi any pics where the module names are less blurry,3001, plz?

cheers
numan7 wrote:
3001 wrote:

hihi any pics where the module names are less blurry,3001, plz?

cheers

can't give away the mystery Dead Banana BugBrand! BugBrand!
miditerranean
Here's a shot of a performance I did last night. I used my Bug bomber and a DRM1.

Update: here is a condensed clip from my set

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/182314102" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
KNYST
nice photo.
BugBrand
Yep!
(can you send me a hi-res copy perhaps?)

Do post audio (hopefully I actually get a chance to listen..)
Tajnost
Reinforcement have arrived wink

KNYST
Nice little setup! SlayerBadger!
radams
I know that Tajnost's system would be Knyst approved !
Right up your alley !
Beautiful system !
Tajnost
Approved or not, it certainly should be expanded with sequencer/logic/drmx abilities eventually. twisted
BananaPlug
<
ginorobair
Got Bug! First gig with it was last week at the Berkeley Arts Festival venue with Tom Djll and Tania Chen. Really enjoying the filter and feedback availability with the matrix. Hope to fill that upper row at some point, but I'm digging what's in there now.

batchas
@ ginorobair: NICE!

What is the module bottom right before output mix, please?
tIB
^ Barton dual quantizer!
ginorobair
Yup, that's the Barton. I use it a lot more than I expected. Rockin' Banana!
batchas
tIB wrote:
^ Barton dual quantizer!

ginorobair wrote:
Yup, that's the Barton. I use it a lot more than I expected. Rockin' Banana!

thumbs up
[/img]
indexofmetals
3001 - nice. You must need a lot of long banana cables
indexofmetals wrote:
3001 - nice. You must need a lot of long banana cables
way too many , it is not very ergonomic! due to the modcan mainly
phisynth
Nice ! Same system here in different proportions It's peanut butter jelly time!

But think about your back, send me some modcan modules to ease your pain and keep your cables short ! w00t
phisynth wrote:
Nice ! Same system here in different proportions It's peanut butter jelly time!

But think about your back, send me some modcan modules to ease your pain and keep your cables short ! w00t

I think the modcan is going away in favor of another British synthesizer, the patch cable thing is the issue, patching from one system to another is a real pita! mainly because of cable lengths.
indexofmetals
the bugbrand gets the front seat on the way to a Twice Dead gig last night. once again, the synth blew me away with what it can create.

BugBrand
Wilko collapsible crates are actually quite nicely sized for dual bug frames...
tIB
Looks like mad fun richard. I need to find a way to grab one of those crossover filters at some point...
indexofmetals
that sounds like a good solution Tom, I'll have to try it. We've got another gig in 3 weeks and I'm going to be using a pair of 2x11 Bug and drum machines.

Andy, it's fantastic, competing with the wavefolder to be my favourite bug module.
tIB
High praise indeed! My lack of getting one is due to having no space in the blue rack*... perhaps its time for upward expansion.

* and a lack of funds- I'm not the man I once was when it comes to gear buying- my wife he done a fine job!
indexofmetals
the setup from gig last night

ear ear
How are you getting along with the spring reverb?
indexofmetals
it only arrived on Friday so didn't have time to test it before the gig but it sounded great. I was also running it through the spring reverb on the 301 and they sounded good together.
batchas
Nice systems seen in this part of the forum thumbs up
mIgmOd
What a mess!

But sure does sound great!
Gringo Starr
That's a beautiful arrangement of modules you have. Very nice.
otoskope
(slightly OT)
mIgmOd - I've been watching the K-Mix, but since it doesn't support Windows, I'm hesitating. Still, I mostly plan to use it as a standalone mixer for live events, for its fx and flexible routing. How far do you get without the computer editor?

And - nice bug rig! You can get far with just those modules! The CO Filter is quite a capable dual osc, too...
mIgmOd
otoskope wrote:
(slightly OT)
mIgmOd - I've been watching the K-Mix, but since it doesn't support Windows, I'm hesitating. Still, I mostly plan to use it as a standalone mixer for live events, for its fx and flexible routing. How far do you get without the computer editor?

And - nice bug rig! You can get far with just those modules! The CO Filter is quite a capable dual osc, too...

Thanks! Yes, those Bugbrands are great machines. I think the k-mix would be excellent for live mixing. It's not really up to professional standards for recording, though. I'll probably be returning mine.
myecholalia
mIgmOd I'm interested in your "not up to professional standards for recording" comment about the K-Mix.
Would love to hear some details why you think that.
thumbs up
mIgmOd
myecholalia wrote:
mIgmOd I'm interested in your "not up to professional standards for recording" comment about the K-Mix.
Would love to hear some details why you think that.
thumbs up

At the moment, 44.1/24 recording makes my Buchla modular sound like a cheap software synth. I have yet to try 96/24. They are still working out the kinks in the firmware so I'll probably give it some more time. I think it will be amazing as a live band mixer, where you want compression and reverb on each channel. But as an audio interface for recording, it's not quite there yet. But it can't be everything to everyone. I'll keep y'all posted as I keep testing.
myecholalia
mIgmOd wrote:
At the moment, 44.1/24 recording makes my Buchla modular sound like a cheap software synth. I have yet to try 96/24. They are still working out the kinks in the firmware so I'll probably give it some more time. I think it will be amazing as a live band mixer, where you want compression and reverb on each channel. But as an audio interface for recording, it's not quite there yet. But it can't be everything to everyone. I'll keep y'all posted as I keep testing.

thanks for sharing. just got mine and really only did very little recording on it so far.
sounded fine for me, but probably have to test more.
feature and stability-wise i'm very happy so far.
hank

Rest of the studio is still packed up in boxes. Cross continental moves are sad banana Dead Banana
soup
bug powder dust...

BugBrand
Oh, that's a neat idea adding banana sockets to the Keystep!
(I always just use minijack to banana cables - always on hand)

Do you have any ground/0V connection between the Keystep & SynthVoice?
I would always recommend setting up a decent 0V link (add 0V socket to Keystep and join to 0V on back of SynthVoice) though maybe the setup works just fine as is?
soup
BugBrand wrote:
Do you have any ground/0V connection between the Keystep & SynthVoice?
I would always recommend setting up a decent 0V link (add 0V socket to Keystep and join to 0V on back of SynthVoice) though maybe the setup works just fine as is?

I added a 0V banana on the back of the keystep, it won't work without it. But I have realized I don't need one if there's a 1/4" audio connection between the units which is a nice thing about the standalone bugs.
BugBrand
Ah, good to clarify that.
I've not opened up my keystep yet - quite a fun/useful machine to have around, though I've not really used it much yet.
indexofmetals
the setup from the gig at CV freqs

arnoux
Posting from outer space

Voltage_Controller
hank wrote:

Rest of the studio is still packed up in boxes. Cross continental moves are sad banana Dead Banana

TKB looks fun with the synthvoice - been thinking about the fr512 also but not crazy about the purple and gold meh
indexofmetals
A box (from 2007 I think) that I had misplaced for a few months. Based I think on the same ring mod circuit that went into the Mk1 modular.

otoskope
Cool! Collector's item...
BugBrand
Yeah, can't remember much - think there were probably only 2 of them (was it a commission for you, Richard?).

Definitely based around the AD633 - probably pretty basic - just mixers and a basic LFO/Osc.
indexofmetals
Tom I think there was just the one. You announced it as a raffle as you'd built one custom for a customer and they pulled out and I put my name forward and was lucky enough to get picked.

There's quite a lot of gain in the mixers and with the banana outputs it can act as inputs to the modular.
KNYST
Haven't looked here for quite some time. I love this thread.
indexofmetals
Merry Christmas to all in Bugbrand land nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana!

sungja
w00t w00t w00t

Have a nice holiday folks!
KNYST
Merry X in Bugland!

What are those modules in mid-row, Richard?
indexofmetals
KNYST wrote:

Pair of fully pimped out Haible Filter/Phaser and an extra LPG.
KNYST
indexofmetals wrote:
KNYST wrote:

Pair of fully pimped out Haible Filter/Phaser and an extra LPG.

I can see those come in handy. They look exquisite too. Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
anadeji wrote:

primary timbre & voltage generation / control, greatest instrument i have ever used.

instrumentation: bugbrand ltd.
power & distro: hinton instruments
chassis: goike
music: "she's a lady" - tom jones

Pics like this should come with a health warning! Hubba Hubba!!
Howie_Doodat
You Bugbrand owners need to get off your asses and make some Bug-centric albums. Please? There is a terrible lack of that sweet BB sound in contemporary electronic music. You owe it to the man that made these beautiful machines.
radams
Howie_Doodat wrote:
You Bugbrand owners need to get off your asses and make some Bug-centric albums. Please? There is a terrible lack of that sweet BB sound in contemporary electronic music. You owe it to the man that made these beautiful machines.

Here are 2

https://randyadams.bandcamp.com/album/kissing-crows

https://randyadams.bandcamp.com/album/bugbrand-modular-performance-pat ches-vol-1
indexofmetals
there are some about. I've used Bugbrand on a dozen albums plus ep's.

as a start, this from back in 2012 https://sandfingers.bandcamp.com/album/the-devils-sea

and from October 2017 on tracks 4 through 7 (live from CV Freqs earlier in the year)
https://richardquirkmusic.bandcamp.com/album/missing-something-i-didnt -know-was-gone

Matthew Shaw and I currently are working on a Bug only electronic duet album.
radams
indexofmetals wrote:
there are some about. I've used Bugbrand on a dozen albums plus ep's.

as a start, this from back in 2012 https://sandfingers.bandcamp.com/album/the-devils-sea

and from October 2017 on tracks 4 through 7 (live from CV Freqs earlier in the year)
https://richardquirkmusic.bandcamp.com/album/missing-something-i-didnt -know-was-gone

Matthew Shaw and I currently are working on a Bug only electronic duet album.

Great work Richard
chrisdermo
Current 2 row 16fw system. I've moved my configuration around a LOT over the past few weeks this one seems to be sticking, though I do want to move the dual envelope somewhere else more convenient... also would be nice to have the SYN1 a bit more central but they won't fit with the depth of the new powered frames, might have to mod the mounting of the pcb round the back as I had originally planned.
Seems most people have their red 'processing' modules in separate racks.... once the new clocking/sequencing modules start coming out I will probably give that a go, I do kind of like how I can sit this on my lap as is though.
Potato quality so to clarify:
All synthvoice modules, pt delay, spring tanker, syn1 weevil, CTL1, CoF+X, Metalbox matrix mixer as the bug ones are unobtanium Mr. Green

BananaPlug
The size is perfect. You should really get some patch cords to go with it. hihi
shortsleeves
BananaPlug wrote:

lol we're not worthy
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:

I actually could use a new set, nearly maxed out on a patch last night hihi.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgSALy5D6O4/

Must budget for a new set from Tom with the next thing released.
phisynth
Nice Chris, reminds me of the portable system I used some years ago for gigs :

That was a fun setup
chrisdermo
phisynth wrote:
Nice Chris, reminds me of the portable system I used some years ago for gigs :
That was a fun setup

Yeah looks like a lot of fun! How were the 3 frames attached together on this system? Were the end cheeks three frames tall?
phisynth
my 16 FW frames have 2 holes on the front and the back, so they were simply screwed together
chrisdermo
phisynth wrote:
my 16 FW frames have 2 holes on the front and the back, so they were simply screwed together

Figures!
kosta
chrisdermo wrote:
BananaPlug wrote:

I actually could use a new set, nearly maxed out on a patch last night hihi.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgSALy5D6O4/

Nice improv there, Chris. nanners w00t screaming goo yo
BananaPlug
chrisdermo wrote:

That's been on my mind too.
I have embarked on a "Modular Modular" plan based on a 2 row (euro/frac) unit and adding smaller frames.
This skiff is part of it.
batchas
Setup in case changing permanently, but I take the opportunity that there's no patch cable to take a snapshot.
chrisdermo
Very nice Robert! love
Hoping to end up with something like this myself one day.
Be Sandy?
Apologies to those who may have already seen this on lines.
My current Bugs (and friends) setup.

indexofmetals
looks great and efficient Sandy
KNYST
Lovely systems, batchas and sandy! Guinness ftw!
indexofmetals

working on a track for a compilation. I need to move things around but works fine and I get to use some of my long banana cables.
DickMarker
indexofmetals wrote:

working on a track for a compilation. I need to move things around but works fine and I get to use some of my long banana cables.

I like your banana'd Euro - is it fairly easy to convert Euro stuff to banana jack?
batchas
DickMarker wrote:
is it fairly easy to convert Euro stuff to banana jack?

From my experience, the bananas found on the Buchla/Serge and the ones found on the Bugbrand will be longer in most case than the 3.5mm present on most Eurorack modules around, adding more distance behind the panel for instance, something to consider as most modules are hold to the panel via the pots (means a shorter distance). In most case a little bit, nevertheless longer (you'll have to bend the metal/contact part of the banana and it still might be in contact with the pcb).
Shorter bananas of course exist too, but I'm talking about my experience where I used Emerson, Johnson / Cinch or TruConnect bananas.
Also the front part is in most case larger, so take more space on the front panel or covering the text below the in or outs if these are nearby on the Eurorack panel.
Like with depth behind the panel, it all depends which module you mod.

You'll loose normalization where the 3.5mm adds it, then you'll have to add a switch instead. Again depends which module. Most do not have normalization, but worth thinking about it before deciding IMO: on a Maths for instance, you'd have to add a few switches to keep the functionality and the front can turn quickly to a mess.

Then it depends how clean you do the replacement (unsolder all parts, solder new parts), cause all 3.5mm are soldered to the pcb and hold the panel. You'll have in most case to wire all bananas instead, or at least use/solder resistor legs to connect to the pcb.
Like on most Doepfer modules or on modules where the PCB is mounted vertically, it's then "easier" IMO, as you don't have the pcb in the way.
There are modules where replacing with bananas will do not allow the pcb to be held to the panel anymore. On the one where only the 3.5mm plugs hold it to the front panel, not the pots for instance or any switch, so you'll have to find another way to do it (...).
Easy to find out. Modules where you see no nuts (pots, switches) and no additional standoff on the panel holding the pcb.

There are IMHO a few modules where replacing with bananas is a pita. Others where it goes very smoothly.

I wrote all my experience a few years back in a dedicated thread, I remember mentioning that there's also the value of the module to consider if you ever want to sell it after (for instance the one where the pcb is then just hold only by the bananas which were wired and nothing else. It will work fine for you, but it will look terrible if you want to sell it). This is my point of view. Hope it helps.
DickMarker
batchas wrote:
DickMarker wrote:
is it fairly easy to convert Euro stuff to banana jack?

From my experience, the bananas found on the Buchla/Serge and the ones found on the Bugbrand will be longer in most case than the 3.5mm present on most Eurorack modules around, adding more distance behind the panel for instance, something to consider as most modules are hold to the panel via the pots (means a shorter distance). In most case a little bit, nevertheless longer (you'll have to bend the metal/contact part of the banana and it still might be in contact with the pcb).
Shorter bananas of course exist too, but I'm talking about my experience where I used Emerson, Johnson / Cinch or TruConnect bananas.
Also the front part is in most case larger, so take more space on the front panel or covering the text below the in or outs if these are nearby on the Eurorack panel.
Like with depth behind the panel, it all depends which module you mod.

You'll loose normalization where the 3.5mm adds it, then you'll have to add a switch instead. Again depends which module. Most do not have normalization, but worth thinking about it before deciding IMO: on a Maths for instance, you'd have to add a few switches to keep the functionality and the front can turn quickly to a mess.

Then it depends how clean you do the replacement (unsolder all parts, solder new parts), cause all 3.5mm are soldered to the pcb and hold the panel. You'll have in most case to wire all bananas instead, or at least use/solder resistor legs to connect to the pcb.
Like on most Doepfer modules or on modules where the PCB is mounted vertically, it's then "easier" IMO, as you don't have the pcb in the way.
There are modules where replacing with bananas will do not allow the pcb to be held to the panel anymore. On the one where only the 3.5mm plugs hold it to the front panel, not the pots for instance or any switch, so you'll have to find another way to do it (...).
Easy to find out. Modules where you see no nuts (pots, switches) and no additional standoff on the panel holding the pcb.

There are IMHO a few modules where replacing with bananas is a pita. Others where it goes very smoothly.

I wrote all my experience a few years back in a dedicated thread, I remember mentioning that there's also the value of the module to consider if you ever want to sell it after (for instance the one where the pcb is then just hold only by the bananas which were wired and nothing else. It will work fine for you, but it will look terrible if you want to sell it). This is my point of view. Hope it helps.

Cheers man, thanks for the details - I'll look up your old thread at some point.
batchas
DickMarker wrote:
Cheers man, thanks for the details - I'll look up your old thread at some point.

I forgot to mention that I did not have a hot-air station back then and this was a mistake. Desoldering comes cleaner with this kind of machine. This is something IMHO to consider if modifying several modules.
DickMarker
batchas wrote:
DickMarker wrote:

I forgot to mention that I did not have a hot-air station back then and this was a mistake. Desoldering comes cleaner with this kind of machine. This is something IMHO to consider if modifying several modules.

I was in Maplin (British high street electronics shop that is shutting down) the other day and saw one at an amazingly cheap price - didn't buy it of course d'oh!

I did discover though that Maplin did stock pretty decent banana cables, which I was completely unaware of - if any of you British banana users are near one, check out if they got any before they're gone for good.
DickMarker

Here's my Bugbrand rig - a Saturday morning jam-in-your-pants shot.
BananaPlug
There's some practical tips on euro to banana here. My most over the top one here. With things getting small due to surface mount and eurorack trends I don't do as many conversions. Good adapters are often more practical.

DickMarker
BananaPlug wrote:
There's some practical tips on euro to banana here. My most over the top one here. With things getting small due to surface mount and eurorack trends I don't do as many conversions. Good adapters are often more practical.

Yeah, I get what you mean - I've got the converter cables from Tom which work fine, and I've sold most of my Euro anyway since getting the Synthvoice.
I do still have a Voltage Memory though which is what I'd really like to convert, and since it was also available as a standalone banana jack module, I reckon it shouldn't be too hard to convert.
BananaPlug
Quote:
Voltage Memory

I'm headed that way too. Keep in mind that aside from any issue over the jacks (no problem putting bananas there) the outputs are only 0-5V.
BananaPlug
[typo]
chrisdermo
The banana jacks in my vm aren't even soldered to anything, just screwed in with bare metal nuts/washers. Should be a verrrrrry easy conversion.
DickMarker
chrisdermo wrote:
The banana jacks in my vm aren't even soldered to anything, just screwed in with bare metal nuts/washers. Should be a verrrrrry easy conversion.

Whut! Just saw this Chris - you mean they're not attached to the circuit board in any way?
chrisdermo
DickMarker wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Whut! Just saw this Chris - you mean they're not attached to the circuit board in any way?

No solder, the pcb traces are in contact with the metal washers with are in contact with the metal banana socket so no need for solder I guess! Makes it super easy to swap out.
DickMarker
chrisdermo wrote:
DickMarker wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

No solder, the pcb traces are in contact with the metal washers with are in contact with the metal banana socket so no need for solder I guess! Makes it super easy to swap out.

Very interesting! Are they these kind of sockets?
chrisdermo
DickMarker wrote:

Very interesting! Are they these kind of sockets?

Yep those ones exactly
DickMarker
thumbs up
batchas
Just as info, these metal washers which connect to the wire are also available to mount on the bananas found on the bugbrand modules. I know these bananas are longer and might not fit behind the panel, but just to mention.
chrisdermo
Inspired by batchas' case I put the majority of my bugs and frac in a racked case- much easier to play now applause
batchas
SlayerBadger!
BugBrand
4 Frames racked is a lovely size & sight!
Reality Checkpoint
I apologise in advance for the staged shot, it was taken for a friend who has no interest whatsoever in anything to do with bleeps and bloops! (And actually did not impress them one iota!)

chrisdermo
Reality Checkpoint wrote:
I apologise in advance for the staged shot, it was taken for a friend who has no interest whatsoever in anything to do with bleeps and bloops! (And actually did not impress them one iota!)

Awesome! Hope to hear some recordings from this setup.
chrisdermo
After receiving lovely new modules from Batchas and Tom I went to rearrange my rack configuration, and realised that where I'd forced the boats into a slightly misshapen rack frame they'd actually bent out of shape and I couldn't align the panel holes with the boat properly when trying to move modules! Luckily once I took them out the boats went back into shape within an hour. So..... I am now back to desktop setup that is 22fw wide Dead Banana

DDSR and Grille are absolutely superb, so happy to be able to get rhythmic without needing the beatstep any more. Extra dual envelope and amplifier modules really open up possibilities for less drone/textural playing which Ive been wanting for quite some time!

Pic:
dogoftears
what's "Grille"??

chrisdermo wrote:
After receiving lovely new modules from Batchas and Tom I went to rearrange my rack configuration, and realised that where I'd forced the boats into a slightly misshapen rack frame they'd actually bent out of shape and I couldn't align the panel holes with the boat properly when trying to move modules! Luckily once I took them out the boats went back into shape within an hour. So..... I am now back to desktop setup that is 22fw wide Dead Banana

DDSR and Grille are absolutely superb, so happy to be able to get rhythmic without needing the beatstep any more. Extra dual envelope and amplifier modules really open up possibilities for less drone/textural playing which Ive been wanting for quite some time!
batchas
dogoftears wrote:
what's "Grille"??

MI Grids adaptation.

Hey Chris, very cool setup. It's getting serious SlayerBadger!

Looks like the optional Random and Clock outputs on the Grille are in good hands Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Yep it's batchas' excellent grids conversion to Bugbrand format! Really excellent for the drm1 and well anything percussive really. Nice to use the clock out to the ddsr for polyrhythmic accompaniment! Been playing with this setup all day, I made a video but my old MacBook keeps dying during the render and actually doesn't seem to be able to cope with the video file in the ancient iMovie - dropping frames all over the place! I'll try it on my work computer sometime this week and upload.
indexofmetals
lud

My very inspiring new Bugbrand set up, love it!
Hell of a lot of functionality, can get a lot going quickly with the red/blue mix. Using the constituent parts and lot more now they're all together and supplemented by the great new blues.
Will be looking to add to it as time goes on and new stuff comes out
chrisdermo
Hot stuff!! love what are the old blues you have there? Can't make them out fully in the photo.

3 frames + peripherals looks good.... going to try something like this myself now I think Mr. Green
lud
An old blue one frame with 2 utility osc, env1, dd1,2 and 3, wavefolder, sv filter, pt delay and output mix
batchas
lud wrote:
My very inspiring new Bugbrand set up, love it!t

Really a great setup.
And the combination of modules on the old blue is really great!
chrisdermo
Finished modding my rev1 weevil to fit in the shallow frames (put it off for months and months) but finally felt brave enough today. It worked!
Also new little fsr box at the front is super fun - feels akin to boardweevil type touch control in its response.

Do people prefer their matrix mixers up front for easy access or further up in the rack? Gonna have to add 3fw onto the side of the skiff but not sure if I'll want it down there. Could move a dual envelope and bin mux down there to make space in the back.

lud
Wow! Amazing set up now Chris - have you managed to pick up some of the older modules here?
What are the darker coloured (frac?) ones?
chrisdermo
lud wrote:
Wow! Amazing set up now Chris - have you managed to pick up some of the older modules here?
What are the darker coloured (frac?) ones?

Yep, CTL1, Weevil, Wavefolder, 2bit binmux & matrix mixer arrived today.

The frac modules are a Future Sound Systems Convulsion Generator and a Stroh Optogate/resonant LPG. They could really do with a blue facelift.
lud
Awesome. Is the LPG fitting nicely into your system?
chrisdermo
lud wrote:
Awesome. Is the LPG fitting nicely into your system?

It is actually! Was kind of skeptical at first.... there's a point on the knob at which the resonance lets out an horrific howl. I guess more primordial than i'm used to with the resonance on the bug filters, but it's response time to cv is lovely, i tend to use very little resonance if any, it can really give a 'vintage' tone to the bug oscillators which i like to use. Plus paired with the wavefolder it can do a not quite right Buchla impression. Definitely not a precise instrument though, one to feel your way through when playing. It's the only LPG i've ever used so don't really have a reference point, would love to try the old Bug ones.
fever606
Send me the Dual Preamp, Wavefolder and 2-Bit and you'll have plenty of space for the matrix mixer! hihi

Does the CTL1 fit in the new frame without modification?

Gonna have to check out that Stroh. LPGs are one of my favourite sound-shaping tools - I'd love a Bug Dual LPG to go alongside the Chirper!
chrisdermo
fever606 wrote:
Send me the Dual Preamp, Wavefolder and 2-Bit and you'll have plenty of space for the matrix mixer! hihi

No need! Though I do have a metalbox matrix mixer in b/s/t that fits the bug frames.

fever606 wrote:

Does the CTL1 fit in the new frame without modification?

I believe the latest revision does but this one only fits in upside down. This frame was my second to use with dual endcheeks so there's a handy power linking hole on the bottom which I just moved the power inlet over to.

fever606 wrote:

Gonna have to check out that Stroh. LPGs are one of my favourite sound-shaping tools - I'd love a Bug Dual LPG to go alongside the Chirper!

It's a diy frac panel from synthcube - definitely worth the money.
indexofmetals

traded a few things plus got my borg2 back from repair with the piggybacked ring mod. PT delay and COF sit infront.
numan7
w00t after many, many months of torturously re-arranging the modules in my old-blue frames, here is how my little BugBrand! orchestra currently consists:

screaming goo yo i'm very, very pleased with the module layout i ended up with in the 32FW case (which is what took the longest to decide upon):

hihi anyways, i suppose i could enter a recording of it all in next year's 'npr tiny desk' song-writing competition, since it does indeed fit on a desktop. or not. we'll see...

cheers
BugBrand
Foogin'ell! I was not aware how far you'd gone!
Never saw a boot put like that but it looks great actually.
And reminds me how nice the 16FW width was...
a100user
BugBrand wrote:
Foogin'ell! I was not aware how far you'd gone!
Never saw a boot put like that but it looks great actually.
And reminds me how nice the 16FW width was...

16W was always my prefered size too Tom, shame you went back to 11FW wink

Old pic - reminds me I need to get an up to date one.

chrisdermo
Holy crap! That's one helluva set up. I like the boot that way up, looks neat, and works especially well as I imagine using those modules as your last pitstop before output to recorder/speakers.

16fw - reminds me I need to get in touch you Tom!
a100user
chrisdermo wrote:
Holy crap! That's one helluva set up. I like the boot that way up, looks neat, and works especially well as I imagine using those modules as your last pitstop before output to recorder/speakers.

16fw - reminds me I need to get in touch you Tom!

Thanks Chris, indeed you correct in your assumption.
The set up has changed slightly, Compressor, Chirper and DDSR added plus a few more Blues coming out of storage.

If you can persuade Tom to get some more 16FW boats count me in smile
phisynth
[quote="a100user"]
chrisdermo wrote:

+ 1. So far I'm assembling 11FW + 5FW to match my 4x16 FW, but it's far from convenient
a100user
phisynth wrote:

+ 1. So far I'm assembling 11FW + 5FW to match my 4x16 FW, but it's far from convenient

You know Phil, that idea never occured to me smile

May just have to try that as a fall back.

Also Tom, need something red to fill some of the 1FW spaces, clock source, divider or attenuators would be nice.
chrisdermo
[quote="phisynth"]
a100user wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

^^ this is what I've been doing, but i'm 1 5fw case short at the moment!
phisynth
These lasts posts + the DDSR I just received convinced me to rearrange a bit, so here's what it looks like now.

No more strict blue / red dichotomy like before, but probably for a better workflow :

BugBrand
As an experiment with Chris, I'm going to provide some cables to hook a 5FW onto the left-hand-side of an 11FW. As you may know, you can join two 11FW frames via internal wiring, so the theory is to jump this out to the side to the 5FW.

24cm red/black cable to take DC.
28cm green/green cable to take 0V.

You then require 1.8A per row (1.5A for the 11FW, 0.3A for the 5FW).
Of course, the 5FW only has a single power header.

While I'd love to get back to an off-the-shelf 16FW, I can't see myself having time imminently.
chrisdermo
I will post some basic set up pics when I receive, thanks Tom!

Had been doing this (5FW + 11fw joined) previously but awkwardly spacing/arranging frames to utilise the power and 0V inputs on the 5fw, or removing those inputs completely and running a super long MTA power lead from the 11fw into the 5fw for powering modules (not good for overstretching the internal power specs). This should be the perfect solution! The physical bolting of 2 frames together has never proved to be an issue, just need to be aware if you have one of the older small frames with silver screws that the threads on the sides won't match the latest iterations.
chrisdermo
Four row boot is ready for jams after work this week!
DickMarker

So much from such a small footprint - and surprising myself with what a neat job of packdown I did after a gig the other night!
batchas
I like this part of the forum Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Put together a tiny portable system for experimentation. There's lots you can achieve with this minimal set up! The red diy on the right is a 'bill's tiny mixer' (see the diy forum), I set it up so ch1= left, ch2= l+r with seperate level knobs and ch3= right.
Fun!

fever606

Took a little inspiration from chrisdermo and Tom's "16FW expansion" and bolted up this mini monster... thanks to a100user for the 3FW hookup!
a100user
fever606 wrote:

Took a little inspiration from chrisdermo and Tom's "16FW expansion" and bolted up this mini monster... thanks to a100user for the 3FW hookup!

You are very welcome and a lovely little setup you have there.
BananaPlug
Would love to hear some recordings from these two little systems. It's peanut butter jelly time!
Corbeau
Here's the majority of my set-up. The Bugbrand is the heart and center-piece of it all essentially. I just use it waaay more than the other stuff around it for sound generation.

I basically built up everything around the Bugbrand and Serge to be supportive for them. The Eurorack is primarily there for sequencing and clockwork, but has a few great VCO's, VCA's, filters, and other tools as well.

I feel bad for my Animal sometimes though, the Bugbrand still gets the most attention. I need to show it some more love...

If you want to hear some (mostly bad) recordings of my noise-making, here's my instagram.

Tengu watches over all Om
otoskope
Very nice setup! Compact and concentrated. Personally, I think Bugs and Serge work very well together (even if I have Serge circuits mostly in other guises, such as CGS, Bananalogue and Metalbox).
/Palle
easyskywalker

Very happy with my small Bug system!
Corbeau
otoskope wrote:
Very nice setup! Compact and concentrated. Personally, I think Bugs and Serge work very well together (even if I have Serge circuits mostly in other guises, such as CGS, Bananalogue and Metalbox).
/Palle

Thanks! I've tried to keep it as compact and focused as possible, since I don't have much room. If I had a room I could dedicate to my synths, things would probably be a lot less compact!

That said, this set-up isn't quite "complete" yet. Gotta get that DRM2 and maybe the upcoming ClockBox, plus a couple of eurorack modules I've been wanting forever.

It never ends.... Never maintain cash savings again

@easyskywalker: I'd love to take that setup out to a park and have a nice synth picnic love
easyskywalker
Quote:
@easyskywalker: I'd love to take that setup out to a park and have a nice synth picnic love

They should have power in parks just for that! hihi
Corbeau
easyskywalker wrote:
Quote:

They should have power in parks just for that! hihi

I wonder if they make portable batteries big enough to charge a boat like that?

I see an opening in the modular market there hihi
easyskywalker
Quote:
I see an opening in the modular market there hihi

Nobody made a case yet with a battery compartment in the back that takes 8 D-cell batteries? : )
BugBrand
Interesting - I just looked for portable / rechargeable batteries and there's things like 12V 6800mAh that are not too expensive. That should get you 2 hours - though actually most 2frame cases won't actually be pulling the full power capacity, so probably more time life in practice.
chrisdermo
BugBrand wrote:
Interesting - I just looked for portable / rechargeable batteries and there's things like 12V 6800mAh that are not too expensive. That should get you 2 hours - though actually most 2frame cases won't actually be pulling the full power capacity, so probably more time life in practice.

I did wonder if that new Koma Strom mobile thingy would power one frame. I tried a powerbank with a cheapo 12v step up transformer but the power bank couldn't give enough current.
batchas
chrisdermo wrote:
I tried a powerbank with a cheapo 12v step up transformer but the power bank couldn't give enough current.

I was wondering about power banks.
I guess one with enough power capacity could do it.
I hope people will share their experience if they tried, and tell which one work etc.
Maybe there's a thread about this?
chrisdermo
batchas wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:
I tried a powerbank with a cheapo 12v step up transformer but the power bank couldn't give enough current.

I was wondering about power banks.
I guess one with enough power capacity could do it.
I hope people will share their experience if they tried, and tell which one work etc.
Maybe there's a thread about this?

This:
Poweradd Slim2 Auto Detect Portable Charger Power Bank 5000mAh - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MWU1GGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_trR3BbCHR9DN T

Plus this:
Step Up Converter,Qutaway 5V To 12V USB Step Up Voltage Transformer DC Power Cable With Barrel Jack Booster Module(5V-12V) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071X6VYXR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DpR3BbA9M4ZN 7

And a 2-way dc splitter cable will power 2 of the 3fw/5fw cases for several hours!
I think I saw a thread on lines forum recently that talked about laptop battery banks that could provide way more current st 12v. Will do a search.
BugBrand
I would suggest starting with a 12V battery pack. The ones I saw have regular DC outputs, so should connect direct to the 12V DC input on any frame. I wouldn't imagine they would have a particular current draw limitation whereas that step-up does.
otoskope
Sorry, missed the power discussion here! As I have written before in other threads, I often run synth gear - including Bug frames - from power packs. Works like charm. I have several large and semi-large power packs from Anker and other brands with a DC output, often switchable between 9/12V, or 9/12/15/16/19/20/21V when they are aimed towards laptops.

With these I run things like Nord Micro Modular, Gotharman LittleDeformer2, Elektron Digitakt/tone and Bugbrand frames. Running time varies a little, and I haven't really measured, but the LittleDeformer, which I have ran most, can run for a full day from a medium sized pack. I would guess a SynthVoice would run for many hours from a single pack.

Beware, though, that the power rating on these packs are for some reason often counted in mAh of some low voltage (to make it sound more). Look instead on the Wh (Watt-hour) rating. That translates better.

I have actually even ran two old-style 16FW Bugbrand frames from two 16V power packs, in series to get -16V..0..+16V. Also worked just fine.

The good thing with these big power packs is that they all charge quite quickly from 15-20V DC.

/Palle
T. Jervell
Pretty darn happy with this setup!!
Love my BugBrand!
chrisdermo
T. Jervell wrote:
Pretty darn happy with this setup!!
Love my BugBrand!

Neat! Really like the idea of using the chirper oscillators as clocks for ddsr/QDiv - good to have nice big dials for such functions.
T. Jervell
Yes! Using them as clocks is really nice. Also, you can get some pretty wonky rhythms with internal cross modulation The Chewbacca Defense
lud
The Chirper is a wonderful (but rather large!) clock source.

Great setup you have, all bases covered and lots of red
T. Jervell
lud wrote:
The Chirper is a wonderful (but rather large!) clock source.

Great setup you have, all bases covered and lots of red

Thanks!
Haha! Yes if I only used it as a clock source I’d be mad hihi

But seriously I love my reds!! (Blues also of course). Both as stand alone devices, in a more modular approach, and as audio glue-of sorts.
I guess I’m just a sucker for the overall tone in the bugs, no matter the colour Miley Cyrus
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 12