MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Introducing ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer
SlyFrank
Hey - I recently got the 207 and experience both the things you do:

1) The 207 definitely has trouble sometimes deciding on which note to go to, although I only find this with stepped outputs, say from a S&H, but not with smooth CVs, say from a LFO. Someone once commented a while back on some thread that the 207 quantizes voltages extremely rapidly, which according to him is why this happens. Not sure if that's the case or not, just relaying what he said.

At any rate, what I do is to use the gate input almost always with stepped (constant) voltages. Problem solved for me, although one would think that this shouldn't be necessary.

2) I might have very good news for you on this one (I hope). All my oscillators track just fine with the 207, but when I use my 2 Cwejman VCO-6s, they are way off, not even close - flat. And my VCO-6s track extremely well with anything else - very stable tracking. I could not figure this out as the 207 obviously quantizes in tune as evidenced by the great tracking with my other oscillators. And clearly there's nothing wrong with my VCO-6s.

After a day of not being able to figure this out I thought to run the output of the 207 into a buffered mult, and then out to the VCO-6s. All fixed!

So, for some reason, with only some oscillators apparently, there is something in the output of the 207 that is fixed by a buffered mult.

Try it - I hope it works for you! It fixed mine completely. And with my other oscillators this is not necessary at all. Only the VCO-6s. Strange, but it's an easy fix if it works for you.

So, despite these weird quirks, I am loving my 207.
fourhexagons
Thanks for the help, SlyFrank! That's great that a buffered mult fixed it for you. Unfortunately my mults are all passive, so I can't test with my setup, but I did receive a response from Andre via email that totally fixed it. It turns out it was user error and that I had overlooked an important menu function.

seriously, i just don't get it

So here it is, Fine Tuning.

After tuning your oscillators, send some changing voltage to one of the quantizer channels and notice if it's in tune across the resulting range. If not, then tune it up as described in the video below. Done. Awesome.

thumbs up

As for the glitchy behavior, Andre informed me that a new firmware update has just been posted that addresses this behavior.

nanners

I look forward to checking that out once I obtain the required serial to USB adapter board and required jumper wires. It doesn't look like Analogue Haven has any of these, so I'm hoping that I can just order one directly from ADDAC and that it's small and light enough that the shipping is reasonable.
fourhexagons
So with tuning and glitching out of the way, we can now address the other issue I'm having setting the interval offset between voice 1 & 2. The interval offset appears to function properly when in keyboard mode, but not when in quantizer mode.

Check it out:

Anybody? seriously, i just don't get it
SlyFrank
Awesome, I'm glad Andre was so helpful with this. Yeah, I knew about the fine-tuning procedure, and I'll probably do that with every one of the 4 channels dedicated to a particular oscillator at some point. I didn't do it yet since so far it seems to track everything quite well (once I figured out the buffered mult trick with the VCO-6). Actually, I don't think my VCO-6 issue can be fixed by fine tuning. It's way way off, but tracks very well with anything else. I think that the VCO-6 doesn't like something in the 207's output but, whatever, the buffered mult fixes it perfectly.

Oh, and thanks so much for the info about the new firmware update. It'll be nice not to have to always plug in a gate to fix it. Only bummer is getting that little hardware thing to fix it. Like you, I'm hoping I can just order it from ADDAC, as I can be sure that it'll work, unlike eBay, where I have no idea. If you get one from eBay please post here to say which one - I have no clue about this stuff.

As for your interval issue, I have yet to use that feature, but I always figured it would work by only using a CV in to channel 1. You seem to be inputting two CVs - into channels 1 & 2. At least that's always how I envisioned it working. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
fourhexagons
Ah, yeah SlyFrank. Thanks again. I'll post here once I sort it all out, the kit, the intervals.

But yeah, I hear you about not having to gate it to get a clean quantize. zombie It'll be nice once the update has been loaded.

As for the intervals, I'm glad you brought that up. I had forgotten to mention that Ch1 doesn't pass on any CV to Ch2. Without having CV specifically sent to Ch2, the VCO coming out of Ch2 would just drone.

Thanks for looking into your setup. We'll see how it all turns out. Catch you again soon.
SlyFrank
fourhexagons wrote:
I had forgotten to mention that Ch1 doesn't pass on any CV to Ch2. Without having CV specifically sent to Ch2, the VCO coming out of Ch2 would just drone.

OK, yeah, so that's not it then. Although, I notice that you're inputting different CVs into the channels. One is quantized and the other is not (I don't have a Rene, but I think that's what those outputs are. If that's the case I would think they would be too far off from each other to give reliable results). I'd mult the quantized pitch CV into both 1 & 2 (but you don't have a buffered mult, so forget that)...or use two quantized pitch CVs, if you have two. I dunno, I'm only speculating anyway - I have never checked the interval feature out - I'll have to check it out for myself. I'd do it now, but I woke up today with a nasty cold and am not quite up for exploring this tonight. Dead Banana Tomorrow most likely.

Oh, and as for updating the firmware, I know folks had a fair bit of trouble trying to update their 207s a year or so ago when Andre put out the last update (which I imagine is the one that ours shipped with, as they're the new batch). Hopefully we'll figure it out. I'm actually quite surprised that this wasn't caught before shipping. So much was made of the initial firmware being faulty that after all this time I'd think they would've easily caught this - I noticed it within the first few minutes of playing with mine......
fourhexagons
SlyFrank wrote:
fourhexagons wrote:
I had forgotten to mention that Ch1 doesn't pass on any CV to Ch2. Without having CV specifically sent to Ch2, the VCO coming out of Ch2 would just drone.

OK, yeah, so that's not it then. Although, I notice that you're inputting different CVs into the channels. One is quantized and the other is not (I don't have a Rene, but I think that's what those outputs are. If that's the case I would think they would be too far off from each other to give reliable results). I'd mult the quantized pitch CV into both 1 & 2 (but you don't have a buffered mult, so forget that)...or use two quantized pitch CVs, if you have two. I dunno, I'm only speculating anyway - I have never checked the interval feature out - I'll have to check it out for myself. I'd do it now, but I woke up today with a nasty cold and am not quite up for exploring this tonight. Dead Banana Tomorrow most likely.

Oh, and as for updating the firmware, I know folks had a fair bit of trouble trying to update their 207s a year or so ago when Andre put out the last update (which I imagine is the one that ours shipped with, as they're the new batch). Hopefully we'll figure it out. I'm actually quite surprised that this wasn't caught before shipping. So much was made of the initial firmware being faulty that after all this time I'd think they would've easily caught this - I noticed it within the first few minutes of playing with mine......

Ah, I think it wasn't missed by them, and that they actually preferred the glitchy behavior. Andre said this in his email to me:

Quote:
“glitches” can indeed happen when the note you’re sending into the quantizer is very close to 2 notes you can try to tune the rene knob to a stable position. We kinda liked this behaviour and let it in because you can fine tune it if you don’t want it to happen or even tune it to respond like the video shows. Nevertheless this last week we released a new firmware that removes this behaviour. You can check it in the quantizer page.

So it's great that they released this fix for those of us who prefer not to have that behavior.

And yes, I hope we have an easy time at updating.

As for the pitch CV from René, you're probably right about why the 2nds are showing up when tuned to Unison. Sounds like I need to get a buffered mult, huh?

But it doesn't explain why the interval of the 6th didn't show up at all like a 6th, and continued to sound exactly the same as the unison setting.
So yeah. Hope you feel better soon. Get some rest & drink lots of fluids! Drinking ambulance
SlyFrank
That's good to hear about them not missing it. And I do agree that at times you can do some cool things with the glitches. In the end I'm not crazy about it, but one day I had some fun by exacerbating the glitches. When I first got the 207 and found this behavior, I figured it was not a bug, but just the way it worked, and if I didn't want it (which is most of the time), with gating it I could get rid of it. But I definitely want to update it now that they've come to the conclusion that it's not all that desirable for most people.

Anyway, I'll try to check out the interval thing tomorrow if I have time...and I'm feeling better Dead Banana

Cheers
SlyFrank
OK, sat down this afternoon and figured this interval thing out. It works fine. It will not work with a CV in both inputs 1 & 2. I imagine the inputs are normalled to each other, so putting in another cable into input 2 breaks the normal and both outputs 1 & 2 will quantize to the same note (assuming the CV is accurately duplicated/multed). I started out doing it your way, and could not figure out why it worked in keyboard mode, but not when switched to quantizing an external CV. So, only put a cable into input 1.

I started with a LFO, and not gating it. I did notice the glitching again. Annoying. I emailed ADDAC last night to see if they can mail me the upgrade kit - no word back yet. I also noticed that at first the output from #2 was just a low drone - no output voltage from the 207. But then it kicked in and worked fine. Especially when changing the interval type, now and then, the low unquantized drone would happen again, but after a few seconds would work fine again. Strange.

Then I started gating the inputs, due to the glitching driving me a bit nuts (gate inputs are also normalled to each other, so only need a single gate into input #1. Input #2 will respond to that gate too). Lovely, no glitching and no droning either. For some reason the gate input not only fixes the glitching, but also the occasional low drone of output #2.

Then I hooked up the random CV output of a S & H and at the same time used its gate out into the gate in of the 207. Worked perfectly. I guess I don't really mind having to use the gate in on this module to make it work the way I like, but I'm looking forward to doing the upgrade so the issue is gone completely.

Hope this helps Guinness ftw!

Edit: And the reason you're probably getting seconds now and then is because your 2 CVs from Rene are not quite together in voltage. When I used both inputs, my CV was duplicated exactly, and so got unison. So, if you have 2 inputs, they are both quantized separately (interval feature is off). And if the 2 voltages are occasionally a bit off, the output notes will also be a bit off (a second off, in your case).

Edit: And of course, just now re-reading the manual (it's been a while since I first read it), all this could've been found on page 9 Dead Banana
fourhexagons
SlyFrank wrote:
OK, sat down this afternoon and figured this interval thing out. It works fine. It will not work with a CV in both inputs 1 & 2. I imagine the inputs are normalled to each other, so putting in another cable into input 2 breaks the normal and both outputs 1 & 2 will quantize to the same note (assuming the CV is accurately duplicated/multed). I started out doing it your way, and could not figure out why it worked in keyboard mode, but not when switched to quantizing an external CV. So, only put a cable into input 1.

I started with a LFO, and not gating it. I did notice the glitching again. Annoying. I emailed ADDAC last night to see if they can mail me the upgrade kit - no word back yet. I also noticed that at first the output from #2 was just a low drone - no output voltage from the 207. But then it kicked in and worked fine. Especially when changing the interval type, now and then, the low unquantized drone would happen again, but after a few seconds would work fine again. Strange.

Then I started gating the inputs, due to the glitching driving me a bit nuts (gate inputs are also normalled to each other, so only need a single gate into input #1. Input #2 will respond to that gate too). Lovely, no glitching and no droning either. For some reason the gate input not only fixes the glitching, but also the occasional low drone of output #2.

Then I hooked up the random CV output of a S & H and at the same time used its gate out into the gate in of the 207. Worked perfectly. I guess I don't really mind having to use the gate in on this module to make it work the way I like, but I'm looking forward to doing the upgrade so the issue is gone completely.

Hope this helps Guinness ftw!

Edit: And the reason you're probably getting seconds now and then is because your 2 CVs from Rene are not quite together in voltage. When I used both inputs, my CV was duplicated exactly, and so got unison. So, if you have 2 inputs, they are both quantized separately (interval feature is off). And if the 2 voltages are occasionally a bit off, the output notes will also be a bit off (a second off, in your case).

Edit: And of course, just now re-reading the manual (it's been a while since I first read it), all this could've been found on page 9 Dead Banana

Oh, this is all super-helpful, SlyFrank! Thank you!
I'm putting my case back together tonight, so I'll test what you're talking about. Sounds like I just needed to be a bit more patient and wait the required 60 seconds for it to reset. d'oh!

I had read that part of the manual but didn't expect it to apply if no gates were ever used. Now knowing that's the case, then I'd expect that instead of waiting the required 60 seconds, once could just press Gate L (button 6) + the button corresponding to the voice to be reset. I'll be trying that out as well.

So yeah, thanks again.
fourhexagons
I've been troubleshooting the 207 Firmware update for the past hour and seem to have hit a roadblock. The updater prints an error: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I ordered the kit directly from ADDAC and I'm on OS X 10.11.2. In order to get the updater to recognize my FTDI, I had to follow the instructions here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ftdi-drivers/mac

After running the updater (with a recognized FTDI), I got this printout:

+ ------------------------------------------------------- +

#### ### ### #### ####
# # # # # # # # #
#### # # # # #### #
# # # # # # # # #
# # ### ### # # ####

#### # # #### ##### #### ### ###
# # # # # # # # #
#### #### #### # ## # # #
# # # # # # # #
#### #### #### # #### # # #

ADDAC207 Firmware Update . version : K1

USB-Serial Device Found: /dev/tty.usbserial-A50285BI

Starting Check List:
Double Checked connections!
Initializing the upgrade process:
Burning new Firmware!
(USB-Serial Board Leds should be blinking by now)

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude done. Thank you.

All Done!
Happy Patching!

+ ----------------------------------- + ADDAC System.2016 +

---

Notice that I'm getting:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Does this mean that the update didn't work?

I should note that the USB-Serial Board LEDs did NOT blink as specified. My jumpers are connected properly – GND-GND, RX-TX, TX-RX.

Anybody know what's up?
fourhexagons
I emailed Andre about this and we sorted it out with a photo. It turns out that the serial adapter I got from them (the first one pictured on page 2 of the update guide) has the order of the pins reversed from the one labeled in the update guide.

That is, the guide shows this:

And mine was this:

d'oh!

In the above photo, it's easier to see the pin labels, but on mine (and in the mood lighting I tend to have) it was much more difficult to see.

oops

So problem solved. My 207 is now updated. Now it's time to actually check it out and test the behavior without gating.
fourhexagons
Hey Andre,

Have you ever considered adding an additional assign input function to the 207? It would be a very powerful addition to use one of the unused buttons (12 maybe?) to allow the assign input to switch between presets. This could allow the user to create complex chord/scale progressions/arrangements. Imagine the possibilities!

This is fun!

Truth be told, I had actually assumed that this was a built-in function of the 207 when I had purchased it. Of course, I hadn't read the manual closely enough to realize that it had been overlooked/omitted. That said, if this is something that the 207 could do, it would really open up some creative arrangement possibilities, especially for generative approaches.

And in other news, the firmware update seems to have softened the glitch behavior I had previously mentioned. Again, truthfully I just find myself gating the S&H so as to get a super-clean and never-glitched result. Plus, it's a great way to send the same CV to the 207, but get different melodic results by sending different rhythmic gates/triggers. The fact that the 207 has 4 channels of gate-ins is really amazing and probably one of my favorite features.

Lastly, for what it's worth, here's my latest patch using the 207 to play the melody (via Batumi's Verhulst Random) on the percussion part played by Elements. The 207 is hidden on the far left under all the cables. Next to it is a 301 Floor Control used to have expression pedal control over the volume of the lead voice after the filter and before the delay. Full patch notes in the video description.

bgerkes
I just noticed that there is this big 207 thread, where I posted my questions on the main ADDAC forum. So I copy the text here since I am really looking for some good advice. Otherwise I have to return the 207 module I just purchased last week.

----------
When putting for instance an LFO CV signal into input one, the quantizer is (when only the C key is "on") going through a range of 4 or 5 C's. Is there a function to clamp the range of the incoming CV signal to a defined set of octaves, like just one octave? Or should the CV signal from the LFO (spitting out 0-5V) be processed to 0-1V *outside* the 207? If so, what module could do that?

2. The main problem: I can not get quantizer channels 2-4 play different notes than the one(s) set for channel 1. As a test I do this:
– I tuned two oscillators as described in the manual.
– A CV signal is going into channel input 1.
– I set channel 1 to play a C (in for instance a Major C scale)
And from here it goed wrong:
– I press button 2 for a second and select for instance an "E" for the second quantizer output and press it again to confirm, the 207 returns to quantizer mode. (I check again by pressing button 2 again for a second, and yes, the E key is lit up, where the C key is lit up for channel 1).
As I understand it, the manual states that the two outputs should play a C and E respectively now and that is what I want of course. But they do not: both oscillators still only produces Cs. The same happens when setting different notes for channels 3 and 4.

I can not get my head around this. Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks, Boele
Thulo
1. Use an attenuator.

2. Output 1 does not have an offset in the scale only 2-4 has and they refer to the pitch of output 1.
What scale are you using? If only C is selected in the scale then all outputs will play C.
Summa
did you read the manual?
schege
I just purchased a new 207 and waiting for it I hope I will not get the same problems like bgerkes described. "The new firmware solved all problems" Andre told me at Sooperbooth. I hope thats true, cause I had the 207 already 3 years ago and it was full of bugs so I gave it back to Schneiders.

bgerkes described it very precisly, he wants an offset for channels 2-4 not for channel 1. He says: I set channel 1 to play a C (in for instance a Major C scale). So it's totally clear in what scal he is in.

In the manual the procedure to set offsets for channel 2-4 is described like bgerkes proceed correctly. The question is now does it work or not. Someone experienced the same problems?
schege
@ fourhexagons: What a great track! (Social Contours)
Could be a tribute to Terry Riley.
hdd
I'm really interested to replace my µscale by this one, as the trigger generation interesting me ...
But wondering, is the switch major to minor can only be done manually ?
fourhexagons
schege wrote:
@ fourhexagons: What a great track! (Social Contours)
Could be a tribute to Terry Riley.

Woah, thanks schege!
fourhexagons
hdd wrote:
I'm really interested to replace my µscale by this one, as the trigger generation interesting me ...
But wondering, is the switch major to minor can only be done manually ?

The switch automatically changes the lit LEDs that select the notes in a scale. But you can manually select the notes and save them as a scale preset to be recalled later.

My former gripe is that those scale presets cannot be programmatically selected via the 'assign' CV input in the way that the uScale uses the transpose input. You can, however, select transpose as an option for the assign input. See my previous post on the assign input for more detail on this.
tylrprtr
fourhexagons wrote:
Thanks for the help, SlyFrank! That's great that a buffered mult fixed it for you. Unfortunately my mults are all passive, so I can't test with my setup, but I did receive a response from Andre via email that totally fixed it. It turns out it was user error and that I had overlooked an important menu function.

After tuning your oscillators, send some changing voltage to one of the quantizer channels and notice if it's in tune across the resulting range. If not, then tune it up as described in the video below. Done. Awesome.

thumbs up

Hah! I was having this SAME issue (with the exact same ADDAC 207 in this video since I just bought it from you).

After some menu diving and a good read and reread of the manual, I figured this out on my own. How funny that you had the same issue I was having.

I had racked it up and plugged in a sequence, listened and though, "Wow I guess fourhexagons was doing some microtonal experiments before he sent me this quantizer..." But when I did a reset, this behavior persisted so I dove back into the manual.
fourhexagons
tylrprtr wrote:
fourhexagons wrote:

thumbs up

Hah! I was having this SAME issue (with the exact same ADDAC 207 in this video since I just bought it from you).

After some menu diving and a good read and reread of the manual, I figured this out on my own. How funny that you had the same issue I was having.

I had racked it up and plugged in a sequence, listened and though, "Wow I guess fourhexagons was doing some microtonal experiments before he sent me this quantizer..." But when I did a reset, this behavior persisted so I dove back into the manual.

Ha! Oh man, Tyler. That's funny.

But yeah, that's one of the quirks of this module. There's just so much in it, that if you don't have it configured just right, it can appear to be broken. But yeah, the fine tuning is really great to dial it in just right for whatever sound source you're using.
Hirsbro

mine is disregarding the weather the gate in jack is plugged or not, it starts firing off gates when 60 sec gone if it has no gate signal received in that time even with a jack inserted into the gate in plug help cry d'oh!

My firmware is K1 I believe its the latest hmmm.....

It is really annoying.. cos everything els seems to be working as it finally should (had the 207 for years now)
SlyFrank
I was poking around on ADDAC's website just now and noticed that there appears to be another firmware update to the 207 named K_2 with a release date of November 9, 2016. I didn't know about this and I'm assuming it's a newer firmware than the one Andre posted in February 2016 (I upgraded to that). So I guess this is a newer one? It doesn't give any info and there's nothing that I can see that explains what is different in this update.

Anyone know? If not I'll email Andre.

Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 13 of 15