MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer
Summa
Last time I talked to André he told me he was making a new update of the firmware of the 207 addressing some of the last issues people had with the earlier revisions. The manual for updating is also dated November 2016 so it's explaining the different ways of updating the modules firmware.
SlyFrank
OK, thanks. Yeah, I noticed that there is a new firmware upgrade guide dated November 2016 too, and it seems to be a bit different than the last guide.

Still interested to know exactly what's in this upgrade and what it addresses. I emailed Andre so hopefully he can give me some info. FWIW, after I upgraded to the last firmware in February my 207 has been working fine. Although without incoming gates, it can still be just a little glitchy, but it's overall a great quantizer, I love it, and I usually use the gate ins anyway.
SlyFrank
I heard back from Andre and there is a new firmware for the 207 as of today on the ADDAC website. K_3. He says: These last updates have a much more precise input analysis, making it more
stable tracking incoming cvs.
NoobOlar
I can't find this anywhere in stock in UK. Not in a couple of EU stores I know of.
Damn I guess I'm going to have to find an alternative
Summa
NoobOlar wrote:
I can't find this anywhere in stock in UK. Not in a couple of EU stores I know of.
Damn I guess I'm going to have to find an alternative

Just order straight from Addac..

Addac order
bitbin
Howdy everyone - can anyone tell me how the quantiser now works with the latest firmware? Has all issues been sorted out? Im thinking of getting one but after checking out this thread I'm in two minds!

Also - what are the benefits of having this over a Quantimator except for generating independent gates.
SlyFrank
bitbin wrote:
Howdy everyone - can anyone tell me how the quantiser now works with the latest firmware? Has all issues been sorted out? Im thinking of getting one but after checking out this thread I'm in two minds!

Also - what are the benefits of having this over a Quantimator except for generating independent gates.

Hi - I updated mine to the latest firmware posted last December - K3, I believe. I really like this quantizer, and most issues have been sorted out, but there are still two things that I feel are not quite right:

1) I almost always want to (and so I do) use gate ins, since I want to time my quantization events, not have it free running to no tempo or no timed pattern. So this issue does not really affect me, but just so you know, and others may have different experiences than me, but I still find that without gate ins this quantizer glitches a bit back and forth between adjacent notes. I have also been told that ADDAC does not really consider this to be a bug, and that they kind of like this behavior, creating trills, but I'm not sure if that's true or not - just what I heard from someone on Muffs somewhere. I personally don't like it, but again, it's pretty much a non-issue with me as I like to use gate ins, which negates the problem entirely. I'd be interested to hear if others experience this...

2) I find with my unit that transposing is very difficult due to the incredibly precise voltage values expected in Transpose in. If the incoming voltage is not exactly right, it will go back and forth between two adjacent scales. Just the other day I did an experiment which actually worked very well, but is not how I envision how this should work. Using the voltage output on my Sequencer1, I was able to dial in precise voltages for all 12 possible transpositions without glitching. So I can transpose just fine using my Sequencer1. But I found that I had to get the voltages to within 10 mV precision or else it would glitch. I'd be interested to hear if others experience this also...

If I'm not transposing, I simply deactivate the transpose in function.

EDIT: I have no experience with the Quantimator, so I can't offer any opinion there.
bitbin
Thans for this! I picked one up and it arrived today so Ill see how I get on!
Paranormal Patroler
SlyFrank wrote:
1) I almost always want to (and so I do) use gate ins, since I want to time my quantization events, not have it free running to no tempo or no timed pattern. So this issue does not really affect me, but just so you know, and others may have different experiences than me, but I still find that without gate ins this quantizer glitches a bit back and forth between adjacent notes. I have also been told that ADDAC does not really consider this to be a bug, and that they kind of like this behavior, creating trills, but I'm not sure if that's true or not - just what I heard from someone on Muffs somewhere. I personally don't like it, but again, it's pretty much a non-issue with me as I like to use gate ins, which negates the problem entirely. I'd be interested to hear if others experience this...

Thank you for your input. I've been reconsidering getting the 207 back in my case as of late. I've owned a few quantizers (Penrose, uscale v1, etc) and they all seem to trill sometimes. I don't remember if the Quantimator did that (it's been years since I owned one) but I think it did. So maybe it's inherent to quantizers in general? I don't know, but I can say it's a common occurrence which I try to use to my advantage.

Quote:
2) I find with my unit that transposing is very difficult due to the incredibly precise voltage values expected in Transpose in. If the incoming voltage is not exactly right, it will go back and forth between two adjacent scales. Just the other day I did an experiment which actually worked very well, but is not how I envision how this should work. Using the voltage output on my Sequencer1, I was able to dial in precise voltages for all 12 possible transpositions without glitching. So I can transpose just fine using my Sequencer1. But I found that I had to get the voltages to within 10 mV precision or else it would glitch. I'd be interested to hear if others experience this also...

Would you care to go into more details about this? I plan to use the Meta Sequencer for transposition purposes which means it'll be easy to dial in precise voltage values, but in case I don't I'd be interested to learning more about it.

EDIT

I was just re-reading the Rev.3 manual. According to it the transposition happens according to the 1v/octave standard and should incur inside one octave, doubling it makes no difference (makes absolute sense). Later on in the manual they state that they consider note differences to be 0.08333333v = 83mV which is 41.5mV for each semitone. That's the precision I would expect.
SlyFrank
I just tried transposing again using the Sequencer1, using the voltage values I had written down from the last time. BTW, it is 83 mV per semitone - divide 1000 mV by 12 = ~83 mV. Anyway, the only reason I had to write down the values is that, like a lot of things, the Sequencer1 is not exact. The CV out that I was using (I guess I should check the other two outs to see if they are the same) has a slight negative offset of approx 40 mV measured by my O'Toole, so when I set it to read 004 (which is really 0.04V), the 207 does not transpose as it sees close to 0 volts. I then went up the semitones one-by-one, and it followed the 83 mV scheme from there.

Anyway, it works pretty well, but, at least with mine, it has to be at least 10 mV precision (and 10 mV precision is the best available to me) or else it will glitch back and forth between adjacent scales. Even when dialed in to the 'best' 10 mV value, I still sometimes get some glitching, but it's tolerable. So, I'll have to say it works, but make sure to really dial in precise values or it'll glitch. If the meta sequencer can dial in better than 10 mV precision then you might be very happy w00t
Paranormal Patroler
I guess I'll have to give it a try. seriously, i just don't get it
SlyFrank
Please report on how it works for you. I'll be interested to hear of your results. Cheers.
LightsOfCérès
I bought the 207, last july from ADDAC System, and i have some difficulties with it.
I send it a CV and GATE from Arturia KEYSTEP
I select all the button so whatever i play on the keyboard, it must play it.
But it doesn't, for some notes it needs time to switch to it

I understand that it needs precise voltage, so question is how to convert voltage from sequencers or keyboards to feed it properly ?

Sorry for my english, not my first language
LightsOfCérès
I opened the keystep and find two trim pots which allow to calibrate the voltage of the cv out.

I calibrated the voltage of the keystep this way :

C1=1.000
C#1 = 1.083
D1 = 1.166
D#1 = 1.249
E1 = 1.332
etc...etc...

Then i plugged the CV out of the Keystep into the 207 in C major, and i played a C major scale on the keyboard to test the tracking of the 207.

The 207 does not play all the notes played on the keyboard.
Some notes need to be played several times before being reproduced by the 207.
Looks like a problem of voltage detection, i don't know the word to explain it kind of latency ?!?

If someone could give me help with this issue ? help
what gives?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but will the 207 output quantized notes only within the same octave range, or is it possible to spread voices across several octaves?
Paranormal Patroler
what gives? wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but will the 207 output quantized notes only within the same octave range, or is it possible to spread voices across several octaves?

hmmm..... Not sure if I'm getting your question right, but I assume you mean that you want to spread your CVs across octaves. The ADDAC207 would quantize each voice in its own octave.
what gives?
I saw an octave setting and it got me confused. Do i understand you right if the output cv corresponds to what octave range the input cv is in?
shesmylife94
This look Amazing
peterpanderretter
Hey,
could the scale function of the voltage block replace the intuitive quantiser somehow?
thanks
peter
Supervillain
Any one knows if it can transpose from the "transpose input" but in a post quantizing operation
E.g. : Sequencer>tranpose voltage offset>quantizer>vco

Checked the manual but it's not that clear

Thanks wink
Summa
From the ADDAC news:

We've just released a new Firmware for our ADDAC207 Intuitive Quantizer!

Inspired by the Mylar Melodies video we're introducing a new Transposition method, as up to now the Quantizer would only transpose the scale defined by the user, now it also transposes the incoming CV!Download the Firmware Update Guide .pdf file from the module webpage, all instructions and download links in the .pdf:

http://www.addacsystem.com/product/addac200-series/addac207

L_2 updates log:
.New Transposition method:
- Now on the Assign Menu you can select Button 11 (A#) to assign the CV input to the old Scale Transposition mode (used to be Button 1).
- You can also select Button 1 (C) to assign the Transposition to the Channels input cv, offseting the incoming notes like a voltage adder would but keeping the notes in the same scale.
- You can also Select both Button 1 and 11 to Transpose both the Scale and the Incoming notes.

so good news for all owners, future and past, of the 207 Quantizer, it just became even better..
ADDAC System
We're very happy to have released a new version!
dhoinjo
Anybody with a 207 that tried this latest firmware? Been thinking of getting me one.
Paranormal Patroler
Mine is in the post hihi
Riggar
Well I believe I'm on the latest firmware - having followed the latest guide. Lots of flashing lights on the usb-to-serial adapter (Windows here) and getting an upload complete message.

That said a few of things are of interest ...

i) Still getting the 'warbling' notes if the 207 is taking in a CV input (input 1) without a gate - where the 207 can't decide which note. I thought across the 3 main 207 threads there was general agreement that this had been sorted not to do it?

ii) Page 30 of the Rev 3 manual shows the Octave Offset (Button 9) ranging from 0 octaves to 9 octaves - this is what mine is doing, as described on page 19, BUT NOT what is being described on page 12 under Button 9 which seems to be suggesting 12 options from -3 to +8.

iii) Also page 5 the simple vco setup - it has been said elsewhere at least once, that setting to F5 generates a 3v signal and not 4v.

iv) I've mentioned in one of the other threads that if you take the output from say output 1 to a VCO (we're in Keyboard Mode here) and play the keyboard up the scale, so if we are in the default C major (and the VCO is tuned to say C4) and play C D E F G A B on the manual keyboard, there is drift of the notes away from the true note. I've tried it with 2 different VCOs and the drift is almost identical in each case. (A dixie II and Mungo w0).

D4 -4 cents (that's a minus sign)
E4 -9 cents
F4 -12 cents
G4 -16 cents
A4 -21 cents
B4 - 26 cents

Not too big deal but it's more 'out' than I would have expected.

I've been through the tuning procedure page 22 and have all 4 outputs running at 3v (F5 C Major)

Anyone else reporting the same / similar?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 14 of 15