MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla FEATURE REQUESTS Firmware v30 & higher only
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Buchla FEATURE REQUESTS Firmware v30 & higher only
Kent
Separated from Bug Report thread.

Please appended your Firmware Version to your post. This will at least encourage everyone to verify that they have the latest versions installed on their systems.

Kent
Finer resolution on the 259e Principal (and probably Mod; I've not checked) Oscillator's CV Input would be nice as scaling it properly is very difficult. I enjoy the extra trim pot provided on the 261e for this purpose.
Firmware 30.8

===

Kent
259e Remote Enable LED for indication of status is very slow to change its state. The module's status does change instantaneously. When working quickly on presets this gets to be a drag.
Firmware v30.8

===

sersch
259e, 261e: Shortcut to get exact 1.2v/oct sensitivity on CV IN
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
It would be great to achieve exact 1.2v/oct sensitivity on CV IN of principal (or modulation) osc at any time by holding down the waveform generator's SYNC button while turning the CV IN pot of the principal (or modulator) osc.

===

7thDanSound

291e, all knobs are clickable. Make it so that by clicking a knob for a parameter, it gets set to the value of the previous step. This way setting up a sequence with slight variations on each step gets a lot more feasible.

7thDanSound

259e, 261e, extend range of mod oscillator. By clicking the range button light up both low and high range and make knob and CV sweep the mod osc all the way.

7thDanSound

292e, put in break jacks so one row of outputs removes the channel from the mix out when cables are inserted.

7thDanSound

Some way to move the 250e current step to the one being edited
(Simply put the 250e into "Continuous" mode in the "Stage Addressing" area [lower right] of the module. Turn the large offset knob to the desired stage.)
Kent
222e/223e

Request: Ability to assign a pulse output, from Pulse Outs 1-5, to 'no key'.

Implementation: Being able to scroll past "a" or "y" allows the user to enter a blank space " " or "_" in place of a letter.

Reason: in a patch one may have that output set to "Toggle" or "T" and in the next patch all keys are already assigned to other duties and the previous result is no longer desired.
In my current set up I've got a key that is part of the Arpeggiator Group but it acts as a Sustain toggle in another and the patch change occurs within the same musical piece.

===

222e/223e
Request: Flexible use of the hexagonal keys on the Kinesthetic Input Port (KIP).

Implementation: just cram it into the menu structure somewhere. lol

Reason: it would be far more flexible to assign what these hex keys do. Going even further; it would be grand to have them assigned differently per preset. I've got a patch going right now wherein I'd like one of the keys to be "Transpose". Plus, I don't really like the way in which they currently operate.

Extension of the Request: Allow all keys to be assigned as mirrors of 223e module's physical buttons.
sersch
REQUEST: Allow the four sequencers A to D of the 251e to transmit note and pulse information via the four internal busses A to D.

IMPLEMENTATION: On the A, B, C and D bus pages of the 225e/206e's Preset Manager, add additional values for the "Ch:" parameter. This parameter currently offers "0" (deactives the bus) and "1" to "16" for the 16 MIDI channels. By selecting the letters "a", "b", "c" or "d", the according 251e sequencer with its note and pulse information can be assigned to the selected internal bus.

No velocity information is assigned to the internal bus that is transmitting 251e note and pulse data.

If two 251e are present in the system, their sequencers can be distinguished by numbers, e.g. "a1" or "c2".

A 251e sequencer can be assigned to multiple internal busses. This, in conjunction with the already existing "Poly" parameter, allows a sequencer to control multiple waveform generators simultaneously or one after each other.

NOTE: As some sort of potentially logical consequence of this feature request, the desire might occur to route "radio group" information from the 222e/223 to the internal bus, or arpeggiator information from the 223e to the internal bus. In the implementation proposal, the radio groups could be represented as "r6", "r7", "r8" and "r9" in the channel parameter values. The arpeggiator could be represented as "ar". For the 250e finally getting access to the internal bus, its 2 control voltages could be represented as "v1" and "v2".
cbm
I'd like to see a complete reconciliation of the supposed "1.2 v / oct" world. In my measurements, 1.2 v / octave isn't really that. My 259e is in tune at about 1.13622 v/ oct. and my 261e (with the trimmer all the way down) is 1.12341. The various control sources seem to be a little different from each other as well. This discrepancy makes it hard to bring a complex system into tune using CVs.
Lyonel
cbm wrote:
I'd like to see a complete reconciliation of the supposed "1.2 v / oct" world. In my measurements, 1.2 v / octave isn't really that. My 259e is in tune at about 1.13622 v/ oct. and my 261e (with the trimmer all the way down) is 1.12341. The various control sources seem to be a little different from each other as well. This discrepancy makes it hard to bring a complex system into tune using CVs.

I agree! I agree! I agree!
Minimoog56
Like he said... No brainer - would transform the 291e into the next killer App!

7thDanSound

291e, all knobs are clickable. Make it so that by clicking a knob for a parameter, it gets set to the value of the previous step. This way setting up a sequence with slight variations on each step gets a lot more feasible.
franzschuier
Request for the 223e - Firmware 30.1

Smaller increment CV settings like in the 251e. Maybe push while turning to finetune the Cv set by turning without a push?
dougcl
My comments on these requests:

7thDanSound wrote:

Some way to move the 250e current step to the one being edited

This is accomplished by putting the 250e in continuous mode and using the offset knob.

7thDanSound wrote:

291e, all knobs are clickable.

Perhaps press the knob of the parameter to be copied, then scroll through the stages while keeping it pressed? This would be kinda like the 250e.

franzschuier wrote:

Smaller increment CV settings like in the 251e.

The 259e and 261e cannot go beyond a 1Hz resolution. This is a big deal at lower octaves, and not perceptible at higher octaves. I wonder if you are hitting this limit? You only get about 27 notes in the lowest octave.

There are a few things I would like see:

1) S&H option for stage selection on the 291e.

2) In S&H mode on the 250e, 251e the pulse out should only fire if the stage changes. If the same voltage is sampled twice, the stage doesn't change, so the pulse out should not fire. Trying to derive a pulse on stage change is hard on the 200e. You have to run in dir/continuous mode to do this, and this doesn't work so well. As it is now, the pulse out just echoes the S&H pulse in which is arguably useless.

3) A setting on the 266e that causes the QRV section to staircase from the minimum voltage to the maximum voltage when you repeatedly pulse the input. The ability to eliminate all unpredictability in this section provides a CV divide by N option that would be super useful on the 200e. It amounts to a divide by N because you can just rely on the highest voltage (always 10) to trigger, while the others (always less than 10) won't. It may not be a good assumption at higher numbers of steps, but it doesn't matter. Lower numbers of steps (N=2,3,4, etc) would work wonderfully.

4) I would like to see the first stage of the sequencers on the 251e be 1 instead of 0. The zero based display means you are always juggling stage numbers when working with both the 251e and 250e.
7thDanSound
Very clever on the 291e idea there Doug! And the 250e tip you had I've been using for a while since you mentioned it, thanks for that one!
franzschuier
dougcl wrote:

franzschuier wrote:

Smaller increment CV settings like in the 251e.

The 259e and 261e cannot go beyond a 1Hz resolution. This is a big deal at lower octaves, and not perceptible at higher octaves. I wonder if you are hitting this limit? You only get about 27 notes in the lowest octave.

I use the 223e for other Synths as well so it would make sense for controlling other modulars f.e.
buchlidianlundi
...what about tap tempo in time-related modules?
drumsofd00m
Just discovered this fascinating thread... did you guys actually direct this to someone at Buchla's lab (or IS one of you from the lab), and how did things turn out?

I'm not a 200e user at the moment, just curious because I didn't expect people to spend so much thought on mods (while I sympathize).
sersch
Kent wrote:
261e Remote Enable Behavior

The 259e acknowledges the Primary CV input when in Remote Enable mode (v30.8). This s great for being able to switch settings at the press of a button via the preset manager.

I would like to see the same behavior adopted by the 261e. The 261e will only look to the MIDI bus when in Remote Enable. Switching oscillator settings, especially across multiple oscillators, is a bit of a chore in the heat of a performance.

I might be wrong, but this sounds as if the 225e's "Ft" (fine tuning) parameter of the internal bus the 261e is listening to is set to a numeric value (anything from "-49" via "0" to "+49"), in which case the waveform generator will only listen to MIDI and disregard any of its own pitch controls and CV inputs.

If "Ft" is set to "An" on the according internal bus on the 225e, the waveform generator on this bus will listen to both MIDI and CV. Any turn of its large pitch control knob will change its frequency, starting from its actual frequency. On receipt of a MIDI On event, the MIDI note will determine the frequency, and the pitch control setting will be disregarded. Any subsequent turn of the pitch control knob will change the frequency, starting from its actual frequency etc.

This "An" behavior is perfect for me. I can play a MIDI melody, and then move the last note wildly thru the whole frequency range by turning the pitch control, starting at the pitch of the last played note, so there's no pitch glitch at the beginning of the frequency sweep. When playing the next MIDI note, I can be sure that it will have the exact pitch of the note I play, NOT the sum of the pitch control knob plus the note, which means I don't have to worry about the setting of the pitch control – it becomes a real "gestural" pitch control. Perfect for live situations.

BEMI, please don't change that.

But if you plan to change things, please allow the 222e/223e/250e/251e accessing the four internal note busses (as it was advertised a loooong time ago for the 249e). That would solve a lot of tuning issues for a lot of folks.
batchas
Lyonel wrote:
cbm wrote:

+1

I was very disappointed the first time testing my voltage converter circuit for 1 v/oct <> 1.2 v/oct conversions, mostly when I started to test with different octaves and oscillators.
At some point I decided to check if the trouble was not coming from the Buchla itself and not my circuit!
I sent 1v to a 225e I borrowed from a friend and measured 1.1xx v/oct at the output.
Then I measured 259e, 261e, 258v and noticed, like chris mentionned here, that they were not in tune at the same v/oct value.
Sooo.. back to my noise addiction... seriously, i just don't get it
dan_p
Feature request,

296e Firmware 3.02

The freeze input currently sets the state of the bands dependent on the input signal for the various modes, dispa, dispb and decay. This is an awesome feature, however, it is also sometimes a pain. If you have an input into the freeze jack and then want to manually edit the envelope decay or dispA/B filter snapshots the freeze input alters what you have set. For example, I want to go to B to edit a snapshot, I have to push the Disp button until I get to B, but as I pass through dispA the freeze sets the current signal, and the envelopes if I scroll through that too. The current workaround for this is an obvious one in that you just unplug the freeze input before selecting and editing. I would however prefer to be able to keep the freeze jack connected and doing its thing while I edit. I may be doing this as part of a live jam for instance. or just want to audition what it sounds like.

Proposal,
To enter the freeze update mode requires a long press on the Disp button, this then makes the LED's selected flash, LED would remain flashing and in freeze update mode until a further long press. Short button press in either mode would still scroll through displays.
Lyonel
batchas wrote:
Lyonel wrote:
cbm wrote:

+1

I was very disappointed the first time testing my voltage converter circuit for 1 v/oct <> 1.2 v/oct conversions, mostly when I started to test with different octaves and oscillators.
At some point I decided to check if the trouble was not coming from the Buchla itself and not my circuit!
I sent 1v to a 225e I borrowed from a friend and measured 1.1xx v/oct at the output.
Then I measured 259e, 261e, 258v and noticed, like chris mentionned here, that they were not in tune at the same v/oct value.
Sooo.. back to my noise addiction... seriously, i just don't get it

CV ins and outs values/scales are completely anarchic in the 200e world.
exeterdown
CV control of spacial placement in the 227e.

I think this would be great because the CV ins on it right now only let you control the swirl.
Lyonel
exeterdown wrote:
CV control of spacial placement in the 227e.

I think this would be great because the CV ins on it right now only let you control the swirl.

"Rate" controls Left-Right and "Ampl" controls Front-Back (with Swirl off).
sersch
227e: More "SWIRL" modes
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Sometimes it is a pain to be literally forced to quadrophonic "swirl" automatic panning, when working in a stereo-only situation. Feeding back the C&D main outs into the submixer A&B input (and enabling "in the mix") is a workaround, but a clumsy one that ties up the mixer.

A potential solution would be introducing more "swirl" modes. Pressing the "swirl" button cycles thru the different modes, which are listed below:
- swirl off (currently implemented)
- quadro ABCD swirl (currently implemented)
- stereo AB swirl (front left/right panning)
- stereo CD swirl (rear left/right panning, useful for feeding FX units)

For enhanced quadrophonic performances, the following additional modes could be useful:
- stereo AC swirl (left front/back panning)
- stereo BD swirl (right front/back panning)
- quadro ADBC swirl (diagonal quadro swirl, front-left to rear-right to front-right to rear-left to…start over again)

The different modes are easily indicated by the activities of the 4 output LEDs of each channel. Stepping thru 4 (or 7) modes with a single button is not too bad, recent Clavia Nord Leads use this method of operation as well).
Minimoog56
Great ideas sersch!
prscrptn
sersch wrote:
For enhanced quadrophonic performances, the following additional modes could be useful:
- stereo AC swirl (left front/back panning)
- stereo BD swirl (right front/back panning)
- quadro ADBC swirl (diagonal quadro swirl, front-left to rear-right to front-right to rear-left to…start over again)

...these modes are already available via the control voltage input. thumbs up
sersch
prscrptn wrote:
...these modes are already available via the control voltage input.

Sorry, these "modes" are not available. What you describe is another workaround for the limited functionality of the 227e's swirls.

Using your workaround means I have to patch up additional function generators or LFOs to create the swirl CVs, while at the same time the 227e's swirl LFOs have to disabled (!) to allow external CV control. No offense intended, but this seems like a waste of ressources to me (same goes of course for my "submixer" workaround that I mentioned in my original post).

EDIT: Clarified workaround.
7thDanSound
257e: Please make auto pulse output activate at end of slew.
BHC303
291e:

As sequencer advances / reverses, AMP BW & FRQ pot values LED's corrospnd to actual settings of each knob on each stage.

223e:

Arp lights on keys (birdy thing) to flash with the arp sequence.

Mr. Green
Leoespejo
BHC303 wrote:
291e:

As sequencer advances / reverses, AMP BW & FRQ pot values LED's corrospnd to actual settings of each knob on each stage.

223e:

Arp lights on keys (birdy thing) to flash with the arp sequence.

Mr. Green

Yes !!!

+1 thumbs up specialy about 291e
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2