MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap source for 1/4" jacks?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Cheap source for 1/4" jacks?
bananeurysm
FoH's group buy on the little guys has me mega jealous. I'm sure theres no way to come close to anything like that deal - but does anyone know of good sources for NO and NC 1/4" jacks? Also - how picky should I be about quality?

Jameco has some for under $2.. though I'm having trouble determining what they are exactly...

They sell a switchcraft 12a for $1.59 qt10 - might be NC but i'm not sure?

and a switchcraft 11 for $1.69 at qt10 - looks like NO

I found these cheap guys at redco:
http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=247

Anyone used those jacks before? They don't seem to stock an NC unfortunately.

Any suggestions?
NV
I've been purchasing my 1/4" jacks from Bridechamber for some time now and have been impressed with the quality and price. They are clones of the Switchcraft 112A and it's really difficult to tell the difference between the two in my opinion. The 112A prices usually hover around a bit under $2 each in quantities of 10 or more and about $1.60 for 100, whereas the Bridechamber jacks are $1.25 for small quantities and $1 each for 100. Plus I appreciate what Bridechamber is doing so I always prefer to send my money their way rather than a parts mega-supplier.

The Redco jacks are definitely cheap, but I personally prefer closed frame jacks like the Bridechamber jacks. They are more reliable and are much easier to solder and integrate into a cramped panel.
valis
Here's Futurlec which is starting at $0.75

http://www.futurlec.com/Audio-65mm.shtml#P065HQ

That's what I use and the quality seems to be just fine (although the purists may disagree with me). The thing about Futurlec is that it'll take ages for the item to arrive. But you can't beat the price..
JohnLRice
I bought a ton of Switchcraft from Tedss.com:
http://www.tedss.com/item.asp?id=2025000016

Currently they are $2.00 each or $1.25 in quantities of 100 or more. (I found them last year when they were $0.66 each! thumbs up )

Take a look through this thread, there is a link for a Mouser Neutrik njack that is only $0.57:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36791
bananeurysm
nice! those cheap neutrik's look right up my alley! better than the open fiberglass crap - but cheap!
Moog$FooL$
NV wrote:
I've been purchasing my 1/4" jacks from Bridechamber for some time now and have been impressed with the quality and price. They are clones of the Switchcraft 112A and it's really difficult to tell the difference between the two in my opinion. The 112A prices usually hover around a bit under $2 each in quantities of 10 or more and about $1.60 for 100, whereas the Bridechamber jacks are $1.25 for small quantities and $1 each for 100. Plus I appreciate what Bridechamber is doing so I always prefer to send my money their way rather than a parts mega-supplier.

The Redco jacks are definitely cheap, but I personally prefer closed frame jacks like the Bridechamber jacks. They are more reliable and are much easier to solder and integrate into a cramped panel.

i'd agree, u can't go wrong with Bridechamber!!! nanners
sduck
I've been buying those cheap jacks from bridechamber also - they seem really nice, although I worry about their longevity...

When I first got into synth diy, some 6 years ago, I bought a pile of cheap imitation switchcraft jacks from a local supplier, for a great price. I used them in a few multiples. Over the years, they became less than reliable, but I always figured it must have been the lousy solder I used at first. A few months ago I got around to retiring them, and noticed that the contacts inside had corroded to this weird brownish color - apparently some less than great metal had been used. They looked fine from the outside.

So hopefully these bridechamber ones area little better!
bananeurysm
what's the benefit of using the bridechamber jacks over the less expensive neutrik jacks from mouser?
NV
bananeurysm wrote:
what's the benefit of using the bridechamber jacks over the less expensive neutrik jacks from mouser?

The Bridechamber jacks are switching mono jacks with solder lugs, whereas the NYS2343 is a stereo PCB mount (no solder lugs) jack without switching. The NYS234 is the same jack with the addition of switching contacts on tip and ring, although the price is increased to reflect that. Here's the Mouser page with both: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=568-NYS234

I tend to use switching contacts enough in my DIY projects to warrant the extra cost, and paying a bit extra for solder lugs makes piecing together a project with 10 or more jacks a smoother experience. Other than that I don't see any benefits beyond subjective things.
valis
bananeurysm wrote:

That's a good question. I'm curious about what Bridechamber's jacks are. Scott (i.e Bridechamber) says that they're less expensive than Switchcraft but doesn't state what they are.

Me personally, I tend to go for cheaper pots (i.e. Futurlec) for things like CV and better pots from Mouser for audio..

-d
valis
NV wrote:
bananeurysm wrote:

The Bridechamber jacks are switching mono jacks with solder lugs, whereas the NYS2343 is a stereo PCB mount (no solder lugs) jack without switching. The NYS234 is the same jack with the addition of switching contacts on tip and ring, although the price is increased to reflect that. Here's the Mouser page with both: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=568-NYS234

Looks like we posted at the same time! applause

Thanks for the info. That link is useful..
bananeurysm
gotcha. any benefit or drawback to using a stereo/trs jack in mono/ts applications like modulars? TS patchcables will still throw the switches and work just fine right?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1