MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Hex Zone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Blacet Hex Zone
jamb
Does anyone know of or have a nice video demo of the Blacet Hex Zone?
Cat-A-Tonic
It's a CV, gate sequencer with a programmable sequential switch.
It's good for stringing multiple sequences together to build songs.

What do you want to hear from it?
jamb
just haven't used a sequencer and am curious about the programming on this one.
fracmonkey
The manual is online. The official part number is SS2800.
http://www.blacet.com/SS2800ManualBasic.pdf
solitaryzen
It's a great sequencer with all the basic functions you would expect (except for knobs/sliders per step), and as Cat-A-Tonic said you have the ability to arrange a basic song structure by chaining 16 step patterns together. It has a clock divider, two CV outs, reset & gate in etc. The real unique feature of this sequencer though is when you utilise it as a sequential switch - individual in or out for each of the 16 steps, each step can be programmed to send/receive thru any of the 16 in/outs (or can be randomised). Certainly nothing else like it available in frac format, and maybe not in any other format. Incredibly intricate rhythms can be created by using both the sequencer & switch functions.
jamb
awesome, thanks for that explanation, solitaryzen. cool that the 16 jacks can function dually as send/receive.
tIB
^ its an incredibly cool thing, more as a programmable (semi random) sequential switch that sequencer. It was one of the two sequencers in my live set the other week, triggering/sequentially switching through the percussion side of things. I really love it, so much that I bought a second (and havent nanafied the rest of my frac rig).
jamb
i have an octave cat that i've spent the last few months repairing and getting in tip-top shape, so i'm curious to see how this will work with that.
Ted2
deciding whether i should get this or midi2cv converter-- i am leaning towards the hex, but midi would be so convenient!
oozitron
If you use the Clock In, does the Gate Time still work well?

Some sequencers have gate time settings, but they are only accurate to the nearest clock tick. So a 1/16 note clock input makes the gate time setting pretty much useless.

Also (along the same line), how does it handle very high Clock In speeds? I would use my MiniDoc to feed the HZone, and it has 96 ticks per quarter clock out. How would that work?

Drew
Cat-A-Tonic
There is a limit, but it can be clocked very fast;
Graphic Oscillator style.

I've never had any problems with the gate-width programming.
I think that is one of the HexZone's strong suits.
Gate-width per step FTW.
senecio
Does anyone know if there is a factory reset on the Hex Zone that will clear all your stored sequences quickly?
fracmonkey
I don't see anything specific but try this, it's pretty quick.

Create an initializing sequence at 32. All notes to --, gate to 50%, etc.

Copy and paste that to any sequence you want to delete.
senecio
Thanks, tried that out and it did go pretty fast!
vmgas
senecio wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a factory reset on the Hex Zone that will clear all your stored sequences quickly?

you can also buy a few of these. pop your current one out and you have a fresh empty bank of sequences and you can keep your old ones http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CAT24C16LI-G/CAT24C16LI-G-ND/ 1631002
Tubeampguy
Removed!
Ted2
hey guys,

Just got a working, finished Hex Zone today, and it's pretty sweet. Have a few questions about it though.

The little sequence thing only goes until the seventh step for some reason. how would one change this?

When you set the gate to Loop, what does that do?

What does "active switch" do? I am unfamiliar with the concept of sequential switches.

Thanks
fracmonkey
Quote:
The little sequence thing only goes until the seventh step for some reason. how would one change this?

When you set the gate to Loop, what does that do?

The gate is set to loop on the 8th step. Change the GW to something else to get a longer sequence. Looping justs jumps back to step one and repeats.
Ted2
Oh, okay, makes sense haha

Thank you!
Tubeampguy
senecio wrote:

I don't consider it a factory reset, But here is a work around.

I copy a pattern higher up (say, seq 10 or 11) copy that and paste it to 1,2 or what ever seq you want to clear out (empty note/ gates at 50, etc) This whole thing takes a couple seconds, its second nature after you get used to doing it!

Also there is a clock divider on the clock O/P.
John really out did himself on this module!

The Hex Zone is the most intuitive and easy to use sequencer that I have ever used! we're not worthy FRAC Frickintastic we're not worthy
thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1