MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Improbability Drive or Binary Zone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Improbability Drive or Binary Zone
Kendall Station
I got space for 1 more module in my set-up and since I need a bit more chaos in my modulations I've narrowed it down to these two. Any ideas? Experiences?

Mike
panda30y
I haven't used the ID yet, but I absolutely love the Binary Zone. It can cause all sorts of mayhem and is extremely flexible, and would work very well with a hex zone I think I remember you having. Read up on it in the few BZ threads we already have.

But the Improbability Drive seems like it's tailored to create chaos, whereas the Binary Zone can create crazy modulations, but requires you to sequence it as such.
antennafarm
what other modules do you have?
Kent
Exactly my question. What other modules do you have and what are your end goals? I know that you mentioned 'modulation'. I'd like to put a finer point on the discussion if possible.

I've got both of them and they are easily within my top 4 most used Frac Modules. I can't really imagine being forced to decide between one or the other. Perhaps I can help you decide though.
e-grad
Blacet store on the Improbability Drive:

Quote:
sorry, Out of Stock
(If you are interested in this module, please let us know!)
Exuviae
Mike-

You can always come over and try both out some time. I'd go BZ hands down, but I do like them both.

Brooks
Cat-A-Tonic
I would also vote BZ, but I wouldn't call it chaos on its own...
It is an absolute whore when it comes to clock sources though.
It hangs out on the corner where all the chaos generator lurk,
and it has a tattoo on its thigh that reads 'this way to heaven'
with an arrow to the clock in.
Dinner at the Y
Exuviae
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
I would also vote BZ, but I wouldn't call it on its own...
It is an absolute whore when it comes to clock sources though.
It hangs out on the corner where all the chaos generator lurk,
and it has a tattoo on its thigh that reads 'this way to heaven'
with an arrow to the clock in.
Dinner at the Y

HA! Marvelous imagery.

Yes, I have, and still occasionally do, teeter on the brink of getting a second BZ. I've never once thought about getting a second ID.
antennafarm
i think, really, when it comes down to it, deep down, in your heart of hearts, you know that the answer is to get BOTH.

which means getting another rack.

which means filling up that rack. smile
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
Yes, I have, and still occasionally do, teeter on the brink of getting a second BZ. I've never once thought about getting a second ID.

Exactly, I've got a second Binary Zone and I'm so happy.
Imagine clocking a BZ with the pattern output of another BZ...
or dividing the clock of one with a separate pulse divider
and then clocking the second one at a fraction of the first....
or clocking it with the Mini-Wave as it chew on something else...
or clocking it with the Window Comparator as it processes the S&H output of the Improbability drive...
or clocking it with three square-wave oscillators set to different frequencies and then ring modulated together...
or or or clocking it with damn near anything you please. love
I'm tellin' you, you've got to walk down sin alley with a BZ on each arm.
8_) pimp that clock.

hell, I imagine you could even tape a contact mic to your *&^% and beat that clock to your own pace. oops
DGTom
lol

ok... we still talking about modules? I feel kinda dirty... good dirty!

Two Binary Zones is the magic number! Its like discovering how to turn a circle into a square.

I like to clock one from a VCO then make a nice gate pattern from that while a riff plays on the osc. then drive the 2nd BZ from the 1sts pattern, the 2nd BZ CVs a 2nd VCO which FMs the 1st VCO... you want chaos right!?!!

I've been on the verge with the improb a few times, but its never grabbed me as it comes stock, I know I'd need to mod it to be more modular & now the kits arn't available so seriously, i just don't get it

I'm in the same boat, with one 2 space hole in my Blacet case, which I think will be filled with a (2nd) Window Comp. which suits my way of working more better. I have 2 CGS digital noise modules which also have the binary outs in addition to white/pink noise, the ID just always seemed to me to be missing too many ins & outs.

If you don't already have 1 BZ, get that. It can be many things... all of which MY ASS IS BLEEDING
plord
I use one or both Binary Zones *every time* I make up a patch. I sold my Improbability Drive.
Kendall Station
Thx guys for the input.

I think I am leaning BZ direction at this point, mostly based on Exuviae's previous advice ~ a couple months ago. I need a modulation source that isn't all over the place but can still suprise me and lead me ino new directions (so no super-psycho LFOs etc). I like the idea that I can get a wild sequence, quantize it via the MW, and have it reset with a gate all the while tweaking away and changing he sequence. I currently have a Sequential Switch (Blacet) on the way along with a Metalbox Analog Logic and Analog Shift REgister. I'm thinking these guys will spice up the odd sequences and modulation a bit more than what I have now.

Who wants to buy a Hex Zone or MOTM Diode FIlter (naaasty)

Current modules:

3 x VCO
1 x MW
2 x Micro LFO
1 x Post-Lawsuit
1 x Filth
1 x Digital Nose (metalbox)
2 x EG (EG1 / Motm)
1 x midiverter
1 x Oakley Lag
1 x Hex ZOne (for sale and on the way out)
2 x Dual VCA
1 x Quad Mix
Kendall Station
antennafarm wrote:
i think, really, when it comes down to it, deep down, in your heart of hearts, you know that the answer is to get BOTH.

which means getting another rack.

which means filling up that rack. smile

which means going on nice-racks and buying a proper 12U enclocure, which means a new PSU, which means why not get two racks.....

oh satan you whisper so softly.
Kent
d'oh!
Dunno why, but I totally mis-read this as: Window Comparator vs. BZ...

Between BZ & ID it is easily the BZ which you should get. Sorry about that. I had a massive brain fart on this one. I own all three modules and the BZ & WC come well before the ID.
Kendall Station
This solidifies both previous advice and my intuitions..too bad the BZ doesn't have CV ins on the pattern division knobs...then things would get outta hand....
parasitk
I sold my ID - found it kind of boring next to my Noise Ring. I looooove the BZ though. It pairs very nicely with the 'Ring.
haricots
I too sold my ID but would never get rid of the BZ. If anything I would buy another BZ.
Kwote
I didn't read any of this but BINARY ZONE HANDS DOWN!!

my favorite combo with it though is Noise Ring, Binary Zone, and Improb Drive mixed to taste then quantized with the Scale Quantizer Rom in the Mini-Wave and fed to a VCO.

Tons of improv fun for days!!!!

w00t!!
Kendall Station
its settled then....thx guys!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1