MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Buchalish 111 Ring Mod PCBs
djangosfire
fluxmonkey wrote:
prscrptn wrote:
I'm using a .COM PSU; I've metered it and everything appears to be in orde

which one? QPS1 and QPS3 are linear, the others look like switching power supplies, which i've always been wary of. try adding a 10uf cap across the power line, right at the power connector

On the power EDAC? or ?

Thanks!
prscrptn
djangosfire wrote:
fluxmonkey wrote:
prscrptn wrote:
I'm using a .COM PSU; I've metered it and everything appears to be in orde

which one? QPS1 and QPS3 are linear, the others look like switching power supplies, which i've always been wary of. try adding a 10uf cap across the power line, right at the power connector

On the power EDAC? or ?

Thanks!

PSU and the EDAC are showing proper and steady voltage.

I tried adding a 10uF cap across power, but still no change. d'oh!
prscrptn
OK, so I may have figured out the problem...

I was sending the output into a mic input instead of line!

The low level hum is still present, but much more nominal (-52dB).

The sound was probably there before, but so low that I never noticed.
xi-bot
edit: off course the
RA 22k x2 (optional input attenuators)
RB 1k x2 (optional input attenuators)
are the trimmers
stupid me...
logicgate
I wonder what you guys have used instead of these??

IT122 (matched NPN pair) x3

2n4916 (PNP) x3

I don't know what to order, those are very expensive at ebay.

How crucial is to have matched transistors on a ring modulator?

Cheers Guinness ftw!

EDIT:

Nevermind, I checked fluxmonkey site and noticed that the BOM there says 2N3904 and 2N3906
logicgate
xi-bot wrote:
hi

i build the "Romeo Fahl" pcb version. so i wonder were do the four input attenuators belong ?
or are the RB pots output attenuators ?

RA 22k x2 (optional input attenuators)
RB 1k x2 (optional input attenuators)

thanks

HAve you brought the 20K trimmer to the panel? Do you think it's worth the extra step? I'm about to place an order at tayda, and still deciding about getting some 1k and 20K pot's for this. Did you notice any drastic change in the waveform when playing with these trimpots?
xi-bot
i used 2N3904 and 2N3906
and i was to impatient to match them
but the ringmod sounds nice

logicgate wrote:
I wonder what you guys have used instead of these??

IT122 (matched NPN pair) x3

2n4916 (PNP) x3

I don't know what to order, those are very expensive at ebay.

How crucial is to have matched transistors on a ring modulator?

Cheers Guinness ftw!

EDIT:

Nevermind, I checked fluxmonkey site and noticed that the BOM there says 2N3904 and 2N3906
nordlead
Finished my build today (using matched 3904 thanks to Ian Fritz, 12V, no calibration whatsoever yet, unattenuated). Here are some raw sounds with my Serge and a 555-VCO:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/r_c_hoffmann/111-ring-modulator-test[/s]

I wonder if I should bother to use the attenuated ins (not even shure how...), I (already) like the sound as is ...
fluxmonkey
first batch of PCBs are sold out, thanks everyone for your support!
negativspace
Thanks for the PCBs! w00t
LektroiD
Hope to see a second batch coming soon...

Anyone doing euro panels for this?
Isaiah
fluxmonkey
I just went to buy a pair of these and they are out of stock (I didn't check this thread first) d'oh!
Any chance of another run, please?

Are the to outputs 180 degrees out of phase with each other?
Isaiah
fluxmonkey
I just went to buy a pair of these and they are out of stock (I didn't check this thread first) d'oh!
Any chance of another run, please?

Are the to outputs 180 degrees out of phase with each other?
LektroiD
I built a home etched version of this one a couple of years ago for my 5U, would love another for my Eurorack, any chance of another run?
logicgate
Ok I wanted to start this build and tried to find a build doc for 12V, it seems it never happenned.

Anyways, from a couple of posts I could see it works fine in 12V without much adjustment, and there's the possibility to attenuate the ins - OK.

This is how it's done?

And then we need to amplify the output, ok. So we buffer the out in a piece of perfboard?

Thanks
elmegil
It's ridiculous, I know, but I also just recently finally started seriously looking at this to build it and....

... that don't look like no voltage divider to me smile.

I see an input that goes between a 1K to the main circuit and a 22K to ground and I seen an input that goes to the main circuit (the 100K to ground and the 4.7uF cap). If I use the second, I'm just using the unattenuated circuit, but if I use the first, I'm just adding a 1K between the input and the circuit, and an extra 22K to ground for who knows what reason....

Is there supposed to be a trace cut? I could sorta see that working, if you cut between the original input and the 100K and run the attenuator "input" to that 100K, using the original input as your actual input. That puts a voltage divider there, but it's only a 22/23 reduction so that doesn't make sense to me either.

What am I missing? hmmm.....
elmegil
Ok, I'm going to try something different.

1) use the alternate inputs
2) omit Ra
3) set Rb to 33K
4) set the 100K input resistor from the original circuit to 10K

At that point I have a voltage divider that should drop 10Vpp to 2.4Vpp.

Simulation makes it appear like it should work.....
ym2612
Edit: found a 111. Thanks to all who PMed me.
prscrptn
^ I've got a panel and pcb's available if anyone needs...
fluxmonkey
I have a new (small) batch available, http://www.fluxmonkey.com/fluxmerch_gear.htm ...
APETECHNOLOGY
hold the press!
theres a error in the schematic !
i have the rare opportunity to study a massive 3 panel 100,
i am trying to hunt down unknown errors in the schematics .
found one,
the input 2 resistor is 680 in the schematic, 680k in the original! CBS got us again.
i will post any other discrepancies i find here.
fluxmonkey
Outstanding! and what a great opportunity to get up-close and personal w/ one of the original systems. I'll do some testing to see what difference the change makes, and update information accordingly.
elmegil
Is that true for the 680 over on the input 1 side as well?

My copy of the schematic is a lot blurrier than yours smile
Fernando
any update about the 680k being correct?

once or twice in the schematic?
fluxmonkey
I'm posting errata to my pages as I get 'em: http://fluxmonkey.com/historicBuchla/111-ringmod.htm. Here's the resistor in question:

note: I did a test, swapping in the new value on one of the two PCBs on my dual build. Audible difference of the new value was minimal (I doubt I could have distinguished in a blind test), but I will change the PCB legend the next time I do a run.

Fernando wrote:
once or twice in the schematic?

These are R27 and R78 on the schematic; since my board is a single ringmod, it's only resistor to change (per board).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 7 of 8